[AMD] - AMDFriend, for (almost) all of your library patching needs

Nyaomi

I present you with AMDFriend, a command-line tool that is the perfect combination of @tomnic 's guide on patching libraries for AMD hackintoshes and laziness and desire for simple automation.

As stated in the GitHub page:

Since userland patching is not possible with Lilu on Big Sur+, manual patching of libraries of certain programs is needed to get them to work reliably on AMD hackintoshes.

Tomnic did outline some general bit patterns to search for, but then he admitted that a crude find and replace wouldn't be viable. This project uses regular expressions to find those patterns and patch them.

Up to date instructions on how to install, update and use it are on GitHub: https://github.com/NyaomiDEV/AMDFriend.

This in no way replaces manual patching (for now), as a human's eye and brain are certainly more capable than a pattern matcher; but it already successfully patches some common libraries (found in After Effects, Photoshop, Premiere Pro, Discord, possibly more).

So, why is this different than the commonly used `perl` commands?

For starters, this actually uses regular expressions as they are supposed to be used, meaning that it always matches a pattern and it never matches an exact string or set of strings. This gives it the ability to be flexible across programs and different revisions of the same program; something that wasn't achieved before.

To be clear, this kinda usage is achievable with just `perl` commands, but having a tool to do it instead of long commands is always nicer.

What's the immediate future of this tool?
I hope to reach a point of general stability where it matches at least the super common stuff super reliably, and the less common stuff more or less reliably; I hope to achieve this with community contributions, since I don't own a lot of software to test the tool with, so if you have a need-to-be-patched application please report back!

And what are the mid term plans?
After the tool reaches general stability, I will probably write a simple GUI in Electron that will be used to make the tool appealing also to non-tech-savvy users, and it will also cut the need to worry about Homebrew, NodeJS and Yarn being installed in the system. Around this time, I hope to get the tool into a position to be stable and as fast as possible, so that more things can be done about patching (for example, dragging an application to the tool's window to patch all of its AMD-unsafe libraries).

Credits

@tomnic and @fabiosun since they were the initial testers (as a surprise to no one, I guess); also tomnic wrote the initial guide and that's like the whole point of this tool existing.

Edited by Nyaomi
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• Nyaomi changed the title to [AMD] - AMDFriend, for (almost) all of your library patching needs