Need help with proxmox and mac os setup

Vell123

Hi all I'm new to proxmox and I'm trying to have an all in one setup for my church using Mac OS, Windows and Linux. I've learned that from previous proxmox builds there were no need to bind pcie or blacklist drivers again depending on the build and I've read many of the threads here already still have not found a working solution for my needs.

Problem: I cant get gpu passthrough to work properly on proxmox ve 7.1-7 running kernel 5.13.19-4. I've also tried 7.0 currently about to install 6.2. When I pass the gpu I want to use bound to vfio driver in 7.1-7 and 7.0( in windows 11 it gets to setup starts to install than hangs and in mac os it doesnt boot past apple logo even after install using the awful console with both vms)

the setup:
cpu - AMD threadripper 3970x
motherboard - gigabyte trx40 aorous master
gpus - sapphire rx580(for passthrough to mac) nvidia 770 (for host) gc titan ridge ( would like to pass through for mac) amd 6900xt (windows 11)

all help is appreciated, I would like to use the newer proxmox than old if it works however if not i'll definitely use the older version

• Supervisor
1 hour ago, Vell123 said:

Hi all I'm new to proxmox and I'm trying to have an all in one setup for my church using Mac OS, Windows and Linux. I've learned that from previous proxmox builds there were no need to bind pcie or blacklist drivers again depending on the build and I've read many of the threads here already still have not found a working solution for my needs.

Problem: I cant get gpu passthrough to work properly on proxmox ve 7.1-7 running kernel 5.13.19-4. I've also tried 7.0 currently about to install 6.2. When I pass the gpu I want to use bound to vfio driver in 7.1-7 and 7.0( in windows 11 it gets to setup starts to install than hangs and in mac os it doesnt boot past apple logo even after install using the awful console with both vms)

the setup:
cpu - AMD threadripper 3970x
motherboard - gigabyte trx40 aorous master
gpus - sapphire rx580(for passthrough to mac) nvidia 770 (for host) gc titan ridge ( would like to pass through for mac) amd 6900xt (windows 11)

all help is appreciated, I would like to use the newer proxmox than old if it works however if not i'll definitely use the older version

@Vell123welcome here

I haven't used virtualization with Proxmox for a long time as now everything works perfectly (and from my point of view better) in bare metal

Your system with three graphics cards is quite complex, probably, if there are no problems with the new kernels, you have to work on the configuration and the blocks to be made in VFIO

What I can tell you is to take a look at the guides you find here

They are most likely the only ones calibrated on AMD TRX40 threadRipper even if not updated anymore

For a long time they have given us TRX40 users a lot of joy! 🙂

• 2 weeks later...
  • Supervisor
On 12/28/2021 at 3:11 PM, Vell123 said:

Thanks I'll do that. So when you say bare metal are you referring to booting direct into macOs from your bios to macos bootloader?

I am saying to boot not in a virtualisation way

from my OSX disk with an opencore/clover EFI in it

Oh i see. Can you possibly point me in the right direction for getting my macos to boot with my amd gpu, rx570 and my 6700xt. I tried your settings and followed your guide and it I get a proxmox uefi boot to opencore 0.7.4 but i can't get it working with clover or update it or boot past apple logo with the loading bar underneath 

• Supervisor
2 hours ago, Vell123 said:

Oh i see. Can you possibly point me in the right direction for getting my macos to boot with my amd gpu, rx570 and my 6700xt. I tried your settings and followed your guide and it I get a proxmox uefi boot to opencore 0.7.4 but i can't get it working with clover or update it or boot past apple logo with the loading bar underneath 

Try to start from here

6700 xt is not compatible with OS X