New Gigabyte TRX40 AORUS XTREME & 3970x Build

darkenergy2020

Hey guys,

I've literally just started out. I haven't even built my rig yet, I've just ordered most of the parts (just waiting on the GPU & Monitor)

Case: Fractal Design Define R6 with USB C

Mobo: Gigabyte TRX40 AORUS XTREME

PSU: be quiet! Dark Power Pro 12 1500 Watt

SSD: 3 x SABRENT 2TB Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 M.2 2280

CPU: AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3970X

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S TR4-SP3

Thermal Paste: ARCTIC MX-4

RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 256GB (8x32GB) DDR4 3200Mhz

GPU: Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 5700 XT 8G

Monitor: Samsung Odyssey G9 49” Curved Gaming Monitor

So this is what I have coming....

My main purposes will be as follows:

1. Audio Production with Logic Pro X and many Audio Plugins and VSTs preferably with my thunderbolt UAD Apollo Twin Audio Interface.... I really would like to get Thunderbolt working.. and I understand Technolli got thunderbolt working with this exact set up?
2. Video Editing - Just amateur to start with but I will be progessing

3. Graphics Editing such as Illustrator & Photoshop etc.. nothing intense.

4. Gaming on Windows.

I understand that most of my Audio Software and plugins will NOT work on Big Sur, so Big Sur is out of the question.

The best OS for my Audio Stuff is Mojave, but I don't think it supports the 5700 XT so I will have to use Catalina... and I think I can make all of my audio stuff work with Catalina.

So my questions are:

1. What is the best to go with for my exact set up above? A. Bare Metal? B. Virtualisation - If virtualisation, which method?
2. Have we go to the stage where we can get Thunderbolt working now?

3. Can anyone provide me with any links, EFIs, Kekts, that I need for my individual set up?

I understand @fabiosun is the Master, and I think I saw something about @Ploddles having an EFI that would help me? Looks like @info is  producer too so similar situation to me.

Hope you guys can help. Much love! DarkEnergy2020

Please help!?!

Edited by darkenergy2020

• Supervisor
13 hours ago, darkenergy2020 said:

My main purposes will be as follows:

1. Audio Production with Logic Pro X and many Audio Plugins and VSTs preferably with my thunderbolt UAD Apollo Twin Audio Interface.... I really would like to get Thunderbolt working.. and I understand Technolli got thunderbolt working with this exact set up?
2. Video Editing - Just amateur to start with but I will be progessing

3. Graphics Editing such as Illustrator & Photoshop etc.. nothing intense.

4. Gaming on Windows.

Point 2 and 3 without any problems with almost all app available

point 1 could be more tricky Logic Pro works perfectly but not all its plugin also thunderbolt device could be a problem..it could work well with patched firmware but it could have also some limitations in its use

I am not an audio guy..but I am reading a lot about it 😉

8 minutes ago, fabiosun said:

I hope  this CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S TR4-SP3 is only to start..because if you will  use PBO feature..that cooler is a bit low for your beast ! 😉

Which one would you recommend?

3 minutes ago, fabiosun said:

Point 2 and 3 without any problems with almost all app available

point 1 could be more tricky Logic Pro works perfectly but not all its plugin also thunderbolt device could be a problem..it could work well with patched firmware but it could have also some limitations in its use

I am not an audio guy..but I am reading a lot about it 😉

I think @Ploddles has an EFI that will work for my board and my thunderbolt. He is going to send me. Technolli used it and got thunderbolt working with his device.

• Supervisor

I do not know Technolli... but for sure your system could work 

I have had one of the best trx4 air cooler (dark Rock Pro TR4) but it is not enough

you have to play with a liquid cooler

I have one you could see in my signature (it is bad review..but if you find the right one it is perfect (AIO related I mean)

16 hours ago, darkenergy2020 said:

Can I get Thunderbolt working on my current motherboard, or will it work better if I perhaps buy the Titan-Ridge card?

You do realise that the Aorus Xtreme only had USB-C, NOT Thunderbolt, you need the add-on card for that?

• +1 1

6 minutes ago, Ploddles said:

You do realise that the Aorus Xtreme only had USB-C, NOT Thunderbolt, you need the add-on card for that?

But thunderbolt is usb-c?

Thunderbolt 3 is a superset of USB-C; you can plug a USB-C-only device into a Thunderbolt 3 port on a computer, and it'll work just fine?

USB-C and Thunderbolt are different but use the same connector. If your device is USB-C then it will work fine, if it is a Thunderbolt device then it won't, you need an add-in card, such as the Gigabyte Titan Ridge.

A Thunderbolt cable will have a lightening sign on it, like on THIS. That cable would work on a thunderbolt device and a USB-C device. A USB-C cable (without the thunderbolt sign) will only work on USB-C devices.