[TRX40] 3960X / Gigabyte Aorus Xtreme - Installation Issues

info

7 minutes ago, fabiosun said:

Latest try

in kernel/quirk flag dummy power management 

or un flag if you have flagged

It is correct like you have

I've tried that as well.. Still the same

Btw, I havent used the .ioreg on the first page. Is that crucial?

I will try to do more tests tonight and hopefully i come up with something!

I cant thank you enough for your help @Ploddles @fabiosun. Fingers crossed i manage to get it to work

I've tried your EFI and it booted much further ! Im in the install window now. Fingers crossed

Oh DAMN!

It progressed to the install page and as soon as i clicked disk utility it restarted . Like clover!

1 minute ago, fabiosun said:

It seems a problem with your disk

try another one to test

alao a mechanical drive if you have

your is first trx40 I have no success to do it booting

😂

haha MY LUCK! I have to suffer a lot before something works , story of my life !

It's not only when i click Disk Utility . If i leave it , the mouse gets stuck and restarts right away. 

I

Do yo have an external USB drive? If so you could do a Carbon Copy of your running system (real Mac / another Hack?) and then try and boot to that on the TRX4.

That was the way I first started, couldn't install straight away. I put another M.2 drive in my Hack, Carbon Copied my running system and put that in the new one. I could then boot that and do a fresh install from that to my new M.2.

20 minutes ago, Ploddles said:

Do yo have an external USB drive? If so you could do a Carbon Copy of your running system (real Mac / another Hack?) and then try and boot to that on the TRX4.

That was the way I first started, couldn't install straight away. I put another M.2 drive in my Hack, Carbon Copied my running system and put that in the new one. I could then boot that and do a fresh install from that to my new M.2.

I've tried but unfortunately the old installation doesn't boot on the new system.

I'm so buffled.. @fabiosun efi progresses me to the installation screen with a completely different motherboard and then restarts. So weird!

Is that a behavior of the graphics card you think?

You should be able to boot a system transplanted from another machine, just use the EFI for the TRX4, not the one from the other hack.

Can you get hold of an RX580 for example? Get one from Amazon, try that and then return it. That way at least you eliminate/confirm it is a graphics card problem.

3 minutes ago, Ploddles said:

You should be able to boot a system transplanted from another machine, just use the EFI for the TRX4, not the one from the other hack.

Can you get hold of an RX580 for example? Get one from Amazon, try that and then return it. That way at least you eliminate/confirm it is a graphics card problem.

How would i do that? The other system uses Clover, do I just replace the kexts or the whole thing?

Plug it into the TRX (or install it internally), but boot from my OC EFI on a USB stick (F12). OC will then see the transplanted installation and allow you to load that.

OR

Just replace the whole Clover EFI with the OC one.

Edited by Ploddles

Some progress.. 

I've found an efi in this thread for another motherboard and the installation run normally this time but freezes 2 minutes before completing . 

Is there something out of place in the config that might be causing this?

Thank you!

OC.zip

• Supervisor

@infoinside your config.plist there are many things not useful for you as pikers boot arg or slide, or wegbeta

I think your problem is usb related..also, I will try with a different disk

use a simple usb mouse/keyboard

other different in this config is SMBIOs , inside it is using MacPro 7.1 one

I think it is not a problem, but no evidence of some improvements using it in our rigs

I managed to install Catalina and wifi and ethernet is working as well as audio!

However , the system is very laggish and slow and the graphics card is not recognized at all in System Report.

Are SSTDS responsible for that? I  will attach a video of how it reacts!

Thank you!

Screenshot 2020-11-13 at 1.22.30 AM.png

Edited by info

11 minutes ago, fabiosun said:

you have to cover only your serial number on about my Mac..and let see gpu memory or name...

it seems your GPU is not active and it seems you are in vesa mode

It doesnt show any Graphics card information there! Nothing at all! 

How do i get out of vesa mode?

Surprisingly wifi , ethernet , imessage , audio works but everything is very laggy and slow

Edited by info

• Supervisor
4 minutes ago, info said:

It doesnt show any Graphics card information there! Nothing at all! 

How do i get out of vesa mode?

Surprisingly wifi , ethernet , imessage , audio works but everything is very laggy and slow

which EFI have you used?

if we miss this we can't say anything more 😛

3 minutes ago, fabiosun said:

which EFI have you used?

if we miss this we can't say anything more 😛

I dont remember the User that posted this but I have attached the latest working one i have. I made some adjustments to remove unwanted stuff.

It also takes a while to boot up! Not too long but quite slow

OC_new.zip