fabiosun

• Supervisor

Yes we talk about it in Italian catalina forum

new update

29 minutes ago, Driftwood said:

As I said in previous posts most of the new Adobe beta apps will not need the patch too.

Only Photoshop (no beta as of yet) and Illustrator beta are in need of patching. 

Different thing

as I said you on discord 

2 hours ago, iGPU said:

That was sometimes seen with 5700XT (and occasionally with Radeon VII) and WEG on the Intel side. If you have WEG enabled, try running with it disabled.

I did notice this esp with USB, if WiFi was enabled. So after checking WEG status, try turning off WiFi (BT being on is okay).

Disabling WiFi fixed the issue. Thanks. Strange that it seems to have started only after I updated to latest OC 0.6.1. At least I know the root cause.

• Ok 1

• Moderators

Driftwood mentioned Handbrake. I haven't used that software in years, so decided to give it a try, downloading v1.3.3 here. Next, I downloaded a 4K test file here (it was used to demo LG 4K screens).

To set the test up, you want to load the 4K demo file, and on the Preset pop-up, under Devices, select Apple 2160p60 4K HEVC Surround (modified) and below that on Format, select MKV File, then press Start at the top (as shown below in spoiler).

Spoiler

Select the Preset:

697304339_ScreenShot2020-09-10at9_31_49PM.png.fa244d48fcf570807143573453ffbd56.png

Select the Format pop-up:

567278040_ScreenShot2020-09-10at9_32_22PM.png.999b9c844f3695c78b1595dc5e9644d3.png

A good comparison site is here (p 12 of thread on AnandTech), which shows a table comparing results of various CPUs (mostly Linux) using the same 4K test file, shown in spoiler below:

Spoiler

1871853440_ScreenShot2020-09-10at8_27_59PM.png.ae3353533395bc0a4f97e381df823a0f.png

My results are right in there, with an avg of 16.82 fps and a duration of 107 sec (iPhone timer). I did not do any over-clocking nor use XMP. Nevertheless, a 3970X is no slouch when using Big Sur and can keep up with Linux results.

From bottom of the HandBrake window at the end of a run:

1911798201_ScreenShot2020-09-10at8_45_57PM.png.6e9edcb7589c3241342679031a0e8a77.png

The AMD Power Tool window adjacent to the Handbrake window during a run:

1511652717_ScreenShot2020-09-10at8_20_25PM.png.613c286a22c861ff305cc49406e9fe96.png

During the run, power utilization averaged ~315 W with a temperature of ~80°C and a frequency averaging 4 GHz:

599456677_ScreenShot2020-09-10at8_40_11PM.png.60d6f26c5adc81eb3cfc7bc34224e1c8.png

Edited by iGPU
  • Ok 1

7 hours ago, iGPU said:

My results are right in there, with an avg of 16.82 fps and a duration of 107 sec (iPhone timer). I did not do any over-clocking nor use XMP. Nevertheless, a 3970X is no slouch when using Big Sur and can keep up with Linux results.

Handbrake is so fast at software cpu encoding. 🙂 That's x265 for you!

Was that HEVC 10-bit 420? or the 12-bit setting?  In this pic below, here's my rec2020 HDR PQ output variables if anyone needs them!

2004531052_ScreenShot2020-09-11at12_26_08.png.f98fbe50f9cde76053a0cc8ebd47395e.png

Load up Activity Monitor just to watch those cores fly! 🙂

Now try the same test and same variables with Compressor, Media Encoder or Davinci. They crawl!

Edited by Driftwood
  • +1 1

On 8/13/2020 at 2:16 AM, meina222 said:

@Ploddles

Try this EFI working on the TRX40 Designare which is very similar to the TRX40 Master. Just make sure to fill in your serial and ethernet ROM in the nvram section and try again

EFI.zip 6.89 MB · 10 downloads

I can boot, but when I want to enter disk utility, the screen freezes and reboot the machine. What can I do?

Thanks

Edited by fabiosun
correction in quoting

• Moderators
13 minutes ago, Cosmin Batica said:

Ok, profile signature updated. Please help! 🙂

The help is already in this thread to construct a functional EFI. You should study it to learn how to set up your own EFI, rather than ask to be handed a fully functional one. Because no matter where you derive the EFI, some customization will be still be required.

And when you study a thread, look and see who is using either the same, or a similar, mobo, and then follow their posts (rather than immediately asking for their EFI) to see how they solved issues you wish to solve. (So far, you've asked for EFIs from people who have different mobos than you.)

If you've already carefully done this, then ask specific questions rather than requesting an EFI. Otherwise, you learn nothing.

• Like 1
  • +1 1

1 minute ago, iGPU said:

The help is already in this thread to construct a functional EFI. You should study it to learn how to set up your own EFI, rather than ask to be handed a fully functional one. Because no matter where you derive the EFI, some customization will be still be required.

And when you study a thread, look and see who is using either the same, or a similar, mobo, and then follow their posts (rather than immediately asking for their EFI) to see how they solved issues you wish to solve. (So far, you've asked for EFIs from people who have different mobos than you.)

If you've already carefully done this, then ask specific questions rather than requesting an EFI. Otherwise, you learn nothing.

Maybe you'll right with some points, but, I do not want to enter so deep in such configurations. I alreay use a real MacBook Pro and the only reason I want a hackintosh is far better specifications who helps me a lot in my work. So if you want to help me, it's ok, otherwise I really can't read hundreds of manual pages and so on.

BTW, I already study all this thread. Before threadripper I used Ryzen 9 3950x without any installation and utilization issues. My problems started with the upgrade to threadripper...

• whahahah 1

2 minutes ago, Cosmin Batica said:

Of course, every time. I try all EFI-s from this thread, and none of them works! 😞

In that case you should check your BIOS settings?

Have you also updated your BIOS to the latest version? Gigabyte release updates to all their TRX40 boards a few days ago.

Always start with Load Optimised Defaults and then make the other necessary changes - without that you won't be very successful trying to load/run macOS.

3 minutes ago, Ploddles said:

In that case you should check your BIOS settings?

Have you also updated your BIOS to the latest version? Gigabyte release updates to all their TRX40 boards a few days ago.

Always start with Load Optimised Defaults and then make the other necessary changes - without that you won't be very successful trying to load/run macOS.

I already updated yesterday my BIOS to the latest version. As a rule I always start with optimized defaults....

1 minute ago, fabiosun said:

@Cosmin Baticait is a not proper way to start here..

I'm sorry, I don't understand...

3 minutes ago, Cosmin Batica said:

Maybe you'll right with some points, but, I do not want to enter so deep in such configurations. I alreay use a real MacBook Pro and the only reason I want a hackintosh is far better specifications who helps me a lot in my work. So if you want to help me, it's ok, otherwise I really can't read hundreds of manual pages and so on.

BTW, I already study all this thread. Before threadripper I used Ryzen 9 3950x without any installation and utilization issues. My problems started with the upgrade to threadripper...

Threadripper is pretty much bleeding edge for Hackintosh.

If you don't want to learn anything but just copy somebody else's system then perhaps Threadripper isn't going to be a good option for you. Hacks are not real Macs so will never run exactly the same and you have to be willing to problem solve.

Just now, Ploddles said:

Threadripper is pretty much bleeding edge for Hackintosh.

If you don't want to learn anything but just copy somebody else's system then perhaps Threadripper isn't going to be a good option for you. Hacks are not real Macs so will never run exactly the same and you have to be willing to problem solve.

Guys, I really don't want any debate with anybody since I'm a strong pacifist 🙂

Ok, I understand now that threadripper is a bitch, so please help me to solve this problem, I really don't know from where I should begin.

Thanks

2 minutes ago, Cosmin Batica said:

I already updated yesterday my BIOS to the latest version. As a rule I always start with optimized defaults....

I'm sorry, I don't understand...

But did you make all the other changes to the options in the BIOS? Optimised Defaults work OK for Windows but you have to make other changes in the BIOS for macOS.

• Supervisor

@Cosmin Batica

"but, I do not want to enter so deep in such configurations"

no one has your same config

so you should put a minimal efforts

otherwise it could be impossible for you to have a working system

and you are very lucky.only reading now you can learn what we have learned on our skins..from months...

• Like 1
  • +1 1

Just now, Ploddles said:

But did you make all the other changes to the options in the BIOS? Optimised Defaults work OK for Windows but you have to make other changes in the BIOS for macOS.

Yes, I think I already do what others recommend here:

CSM disabled

Above 4G disabled - I try with enabled also

IOMMU disabled

• Supervisor
1 minute ago, Cosmin Batica said:

Yes, I think I already do what others recommend here:

CSM disabled

Above 4G disabled - I try with enabled also

IOMMU disabled

think..I have 4g enable..

IOMMU enable

you have a booting EFI I think

then you say it freeze in disk utility..

Or am I wrong?

5 minutes ago, fabiosun said:

@Cosmin Batica

"but, I do not want to enter so deep in such configurations"

no one has your same config

so you should put a minimal efforts

otherwise it could be impossible for you to have a working system

and you are very like..only reading now you can learn what we have learned on our skins..from months...

Ok, I saw you already helped many others, without asking so many details...

I think all my "problems" here begin where I admit I won't have so much time to enter so deep in configuration issues :)))

I\m sorry if you feel like I don't appreciate your hard work.... that wasn't my intention at all.

3 minutes ago, fabiosun said:

think..I have 4g enable..

IOMMU enable

you have a booting EFI I think

then you say it freeze in disk utility..

Or am I wrong?

Firstly I observe the freeze in Disk Utility because was the first step to installation procedure.

But next I managed to enter in Disk Utility and mke the necessary modifications, and when I start the install, it reboots after few seconds every time.

Yes, I have a booting EFI.

Edited by Cosmin Batica

Just now, Ploddles said:

@Cosmin Batica

If you can boot and get to the installer then it could be a nvme/disk problem. Not all nvme/ssd work with macOS. Try to install onto a different disk.

Ok, I have tho NVMEs: one with Gen4 at 5000 MB/s and the other at Gen3 - 3500 MB/s

Both have Mac OSX Catalina installed in the past, but on Ryzen 9 3950x processor....

Maybe I need to disable other NVMEs and SSDs and leave active only Catalina install disc?

• Supervisor
9 minutes ago, Cosmin Batica said:

Ok, I saw you already helped many others, without asking so many details...

I think all my "problems" here begin where I admit I won't have so much time to enter so deep in configuration issues :)))

I\m sorry if you feel like I don't appreciate your hard work.... that wasn't my intention at all.

I did everything you read for me, then over time many willing people joined who every day are carrying out this task which was impossible until recently ..

If you come and say give me a good EFI that I have little time ... 🙂 Doesn't it seem strange to you?

however I repeat .. be patient and read .. surely your system is not more complex than others that we have made to work 🙂

PS

soon I will clean the topic to make it remain readable no offense to you and others

by the way..I see Samsung 970 EVO  in your description..

is their firmware updated?

Edited by fabiosun
Samsung EVO add

• fabiosun changed the title to [Discussion] - TRX40 Bare Metal - Vanilla Patches