fabiosun

8 minutes ago, fabiosun said:

@dtek

post your bios config and also EFI you are using without your personal data...

Our motherboard is more simple to configure than others in many aspects

also using a minimal config

I got it to boot with these boot args

shikigva=96

shiki-id=Mac-7BA5B2D9E42DDD94

agdpmod=pikera

10 hours ago, ckrueger99 said:

@DriftwoodConsidering a professional media editor, whose primary work flow is in FCPX and, to a lessor extent, Adobe After Effects but not Premier, would the lack of HEVC hardware acceleration kill the decision to go with a TR hackintosh? Or would the same condition apply to an Intel Xeon 3175X machine? (Nearly as fast but much more expensive and using more power, but maybe without the HEVC compression problems?) Or does Apple Compressor depend on the T2, so we'd have the same problem with any brand of CPU , even a real Mac that doesn't have a T2? 

It's Apple who keep dropping the hardware support. The last great bastion is encoding HEVC PQ Rec2020 420 10-bit for HDR TV/Netflix style delivery. 

I haven't seen any NLE that can beat x265 CPU encoding. And that's the way I do it and using Handbrake GUI. Threadripper with 32 cores64 threads beats them all at software CPU encodes.  Ridiculously fast!

At 8-bit HEVC or h264 Media Encoder and fcpx etc... work well. It's 10-bit and now 12-bit HEVC that is the problem as it is so mathematically challenging.

Davinci resolve gives me around 8fps in 10 bit. They're all slow outside x265.

True 10-bit HEVC hardware support will need to be sorted out in Mac. And Apple are directly responsible for stopping AMD and Nvidia in their tracks - certainly for 'prosumer' level cards.

We need encode, not just decode!

We wait with baited breath to see support returned.

Edited by Driftwood
  • +1 1

1 hour ago, fabiosun said:

@dtek

post your bios config and also EFI you are using without your personal data...

Our motherboard is more simple to configure than others in many aspects

also using a minimal config

I got everything working except for shutdown and restart.  How do I get this to work?

EFI.zip

• Moderators
1 minute ago, dtek said:

I got everything working except for shutdown and restart.  How do I get this to work?

EFI.zip 5.6 MB · 0 downloads

Create a correct MmioWhitelist following these directions. Once working, Shutdown should work. (There are some hardware/USB issues that could prevent Shutdown from consistently working even with a proper MmioWhitelist.)

The list is specific for your setup, so you need to do it yourself (copying other's list will rarely work unless everything is identical).

• +1 1

3 hours ago, dtek said:

I removed the m2 expansion slot and the errors are gone but I got a black screen.

Did you check your other DP/hdmi port for picture?

Sometimes when it goes black, its booted!

10 minutes ago, dtek said:

Maybe upgrade to latest OC build to help too

Edited by Driftwood

1 hour ago, Driftwood said:

Did you check your other DP/hdmi port for picture?

Sometimes when it goes black, its booted!

Maybe upgrade to latest OC build to help too

I have an old monitor that only supports hdmi.  Upgraded to the latest OC build but only sleep mode worked,  shutdown/restart froze

1 hour ago, iGPU said:

Create a correct MmioWhitelist following these directions. Once working, Shutdown should work. (There are some hardware/USB issues that could prevent Shutdown from consistently working even with a proper MmioWhitelist.)

The list is specific for your setup, so you need to do it yourself (copying other's list will rarely work unless everything is identical).

I'm not sure how to calculate hex values for disabled 4g.  I read it a few times and still didn't get it.

MMIO.zip

23 minutes ago, dtek said:

I'm not sure how to calculate hex values for disabled 4g

Download Hackintools and use it's calculator or use a hex to decimal converter. Enter each of  your hex values and convert to Decimal in this calc, then copy and paste each decimal value into each added child entries which you 'Add' (0 to 18) under mmiowhitelist in config.plist.

You find your hex numbers on each line of MMiO section (19 lines of MMIO 0xnnnnnnnnn values) in your opencore debug txt boot log using search.

Child 0 to 14 will be Boolean value = Yes. The last four (15 to 18) = No, or you can actually forget about adding the last four child's as they are Negative values (not used)

Edited by Driftwood

19 minutes ago, fabiosun said:

Check mmio schema I have proposed

it should work for you

if your amd gpu does not interact bad with these parts

whithout mmio whitelisting it should impossible to have it working

I look  through many pages but can't find your mmio schema.  Can I get the link please?

8 minutes ago, Driftwood said:

Download Hackintools and use it's calculator. Enter each of  your hex values and convert to Decimal in this calc, then copy and paste each decimal value into each child (0 to 18) under mmiowhitelist in confjg.plist.

You find your hex numbers on each line of MMiO section (19 lines of MMIO 0xnnnnnnnnn values) in your opencore debug txt boot log using search.

Child 0 to 14 will be Boolean value = Yes. The last four (15 to 18) = No or remove. 

Ok let me give this a try.  Is this guide for disabled 4g?

• Supervisor

I see different stuff in your boot arg

npci=0x2000 shouldn't be there for our motherboard

and if use it 4g have to be off

I would try without that arg and with 4g enabled

also I do not use any SSDT, only one for NVRAM..but it is not mandatory to boot

By the way..I do not use intensively Big Sur so some your args could be mandatory for it...but IDK

@dtek

• Supervisor

a bit off topic:

but for new patches seekers could be useful also read here..

https://pikeralpha.wordpress.com/2016/07/26/xcpm-for-unsupported-processor/comment-page-2/#comment-7318

without using a disassembler is also possible to poke around inside the kernel...

finding the right patch is another matter that only the most risk lovers can face 🙂

1 hour ago, dtek said:

Is this guide for disabled 4g?

Either. The methodology is exactly the same. If you set Above 4G on in BIOS, it may (or may not ) have different MMIO values found in your debug file. I think most of us with lots of devices inside our computers have it Enabled  (and csm disabled in BIOS)

See the blue highlighted bits here highlighted from the OC debut? The hex values are;-

e.g.See straight after the text 'MMIO devirt' you'll see the first one - 0xCB100000

191312761_ScreenShot2020-09-08at22_22_09.png.ac72cf6f6e5d7fa8d8f2466ac937637e.png

So enter this in Hackintools calc (or any hex to dec calculator) and it will give you the decimal value like in the example below (e.g. Hex to decimal value in mine = 3406823424) , then enter that Decimal value into a child under  'mmiowhitelist' in 'Booter' section of Config.plist. Do it for each hex to decimal value on each line (theres 19) from your OpenCore debug .txt  and put each decimal equivalent into a new numbered child going up from 0 all the way to 18. You dont need to do 15-18 though as theyre not used. If you leave 15-18 in , make sure their boolean values are set to NO.

270083790_ScreenShot2020-09-08at22_29_20.png.27496fbf80a202647eb26a04cc4a9513.png

Here's where the 'Childs' go see 0 the first one and so on... Download a config.plist of ours to see how we did it. But dont copy our values as yours might be different. Just make sure all 0 to 14 are Boolean = YES.  For example in this graphic

1114145461_ScreenShot2020-09-08at22_32_40.png.388fb9ed61c148becf3b79a5785d1e52.png-

I'm sure @iGPU exampled all this a few pages back in this thread if you want a clear and concise methodology!

Edited by Driftwood
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, fabiosun said:

a bit off topic:

but for new patches seekers could be useful also read here..

https://pikeralpha.wordpress.com/2016/07/26/xcpm-for-unsupported-processor/comment-page-2/#comment-7318

without using a disassembler is also possible to poke around inside the kernel...

finding the right patch is another matter that only the most risk lovers can face 🙂

Now PikerAlpha is a legend... works for Apple now I heard!

Oh, and there you are @fabiosun all over the comments! :-) I used to read his stuff. One of the best gurus around. :-)

So we're back to looking for 0x3f 

Boy! Havent times moved on @fabiosun ?

2092763700_ScreenShot2020-09-08at23_18_51.png.7604fed0f29b042c51a8fc0bf7b33e2e.png

Edited by Driftwood

44 minutes ago, fabiosun said:

I see different stuff in your boot arg

npci=0x2000 shouldn't be there for our motherboard

and if use it 4g have to be off

I would try without that arg and with 4g enabled

also I do not use any SSDT, only one for NVRAM..but it is not mandatory to boot

By the way..I do not use intensively Big Sur so some your args could be mandatory for it...but IDK

@dtek

My settings  and files are now identical to yours with the exception of my video card boot args.  Everything works 99% now.  The only thing that doesn't work is waking up when pc is in sleep mode but that's ok I rarely put my pc to sleep anyway.   I've learned so much from this forum and really appreciate everyone trying to help.  ❤️

• fabiosun changed the title to [Discussion] - TRX40 Bare Metal - Vanilla Patches