fabiosun

27 minutes ago, meina222 said:

The origin of this custom frame buffer dates back to Catalina VM and my attempts to figure why 5700XT shows really poor OpenCL and Metal scores (e.g. 38K for Metal), where it should be closer to 70. I clearly didn't come up with this "solution" myself, but with this in place Catalina's scores would go back up to 75K where they should be. This is a pretty opaque and useless benchmark - Geekbench, and I guess the effect of this is similar to what a boost kext used to do for Radeon VII.

Yeah I figure this much, but you can do all that in your GFX SSDT and it only requires 3 of the 40+ settings you currently have in the Device properties section of the config. The performance gain is not from the frame buffer settings but from the `ATY,EFIVersion`and `ATY,EFIRom` values, if you look at the ACPI folder I uploaded from mine, my GFX SSDT has those as well. The RX 5700 XT can not use the `PP_WorkLoadPolicyMask` settings of my SSDT though, so do not include that into your SSDT.

• +1 1

@Pavo - I adapted my vbios to your GFX0 SSDT minus the PP_WorkLoadPolicyMask. Boots and works fine. GeekBench benchmark is definitely affected - 75K in device properties frame buffer vs 58K with SSDT but not too concerned about it (2 tries so not variance in measurement). Also removed npci=0x2000. All good, so this matches your experience. The simpler the better (right now I'm above 4G off, CSM off, no npci)

Sleep still doesn't work unfortunately. But the issue is elsewhere. Either USB, BIOS or AIC NVME card, or the 3rd party BCM94360CD.

Attached updated GFX for you to check. Not sure if the Package and Buffer values need to be changed. How do I know the SSDT is working?

SSDT-GFX.zip

Edited by meina222

@fabiosun - I actually did check ioreg, but not before I applied the SSDT. For example, I could not find anywhere the EFI version (doesn't mean it isn't there). And I did not see any difference in benchmarking between having the SSDT and not having it. So by "understood" - in my own standard of what that means, no I have not understood yet what it did. Edit: ATY,EFIVersionB is there, could not locate primary.

Edited by meina222

@fabiosun - I cracked the sleep issue. Or rather - I determined that sleep is impossible for 3990x. The reason is SMT off. Even under Linux (Ubuntu 20.04 with latest kernel 5.8.5) sleep doesn't work with SMT off - the disabled logical cores can't be turned off. MacOS actually behaves nicer since after it fails to sleep the CPU, it does sleep the monitor and can wake it up. Linux just goes dark and refuses to wake up and has to be power cycled. On the other hand Linux sleep works perfectly with SMT on as it should. This of course doesn't mean that if I had 3970x sleep would work - I hope @Ploddles will find out for the benefit of the other GB mobo owners.

Edited by meina222

On 8/30/2020 at 6:25 PM, iGPU said:

fabiosun,

1) I could not boot with Above 4G enabled unless I also enabled CSM. Even with 4G enabled, if npc=0x2000 is present as boot-arg, it still boots. I'm not certain I see the downside of leaving npc=0x2000 present; are there problems in the log that I'm missing?

2) From reading recent posts, I don't quite understand what you're recommending for MmioWhitelist.

a) Are you saying it should be the same for all TRX40 mobos?

b) And that you found something different with Pavo from the list I'd originally posted for the MSI Creator?

3) Were you able to get AMDRyzenCPUPowerManagement.kext to work in Big Sur?

Can someone point me to were read how to create a MMIO whitelist for my board.?

I presume you have to compare 4 plus 2TB and 4 2TB as apples to apples. It's possible 4 plus 1TB is practically not as fast as regular 2TB. Not sure it matters though, I was just joking. I do need another NVMe though so I'll wait for the plus to hit and maybe get 2TB.

Edited by meina222

They are massive on paper and I'm sure AMD will have a hard time matching that. AMD's advantage will be Zen3 + their new cards as package.

Apple's ultimate goal is to completely seal themselves off hardware-wise - they will slowly start dropping AMD in the low energy space 1st and in 5-7 years aim to move the entire line up to Apple silicon both CPU and graphics. They will still have a very hard time competing with Nvidia, but I don't think their goal is do that. I have no idea what personal animosity exists between the two companies / CEOs though, but clearly they need AMD still, but once ready will drop both and achieve their pipe dream from the 80s/90s of having again a vertically integrated proprietary stack. And I gotta say I can't fault them for that - it works very well as a model when you execute it the way they do.

Edited by meina222
  • Like 2

If I remember correctly, it was all to do with Metal. Nvidia said they wouldn't support it and wanted Apple to stick with OPenGL. AMD ceased the opportunity to try to hammer Nvidia and said they would support Metal.

It may be more complex than that but that is it put simply.

To rub salt into the wound, currently the new Nvidia cards will only achieve their full potential on AMD motherboards, as they require PCIe 4 for that.

No Intel boards currently have PCIe 4 until Tiger Lake CPUs are released. The 490Z may support PCIe 4 but with only a CPU change so that is an ouch for anybody who currently has a 10 series CPU as they will have a spare CPU to move on to somebody.

Edited by Ploddles
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Apple doesn't care about OpenGL. They are fully invested in low energy / mobile and now VR / AR as future devices (they hire huge groups now focusing on next generation wearable devices - in the order of thousands of people). The visual stacks they develop would be based on some future versions of Metal. I don't know much about either Metal or OpenGL, but it makes sense for Apple to want to control their software pipeline in sync with their hardware. They are so heavily invested in this, they will probably lead this field in 5-10 years and Nvidia will still lead high performance computing.

Intel is so toast. I don't think their Xe stuff will succeed (who knows, maybe short term it will be interesting) and they will suffer great if they don't bring their production back to the US. Maybe Intel can poach back everyone from AMD somehow and succeed this way.

Switching between MacOS and latest Ubuntu + Cinnamon, I gotta say the latter is so much snappier and more performant and looks are almost as good, but the details and the ecosystems are still lacking. Someone needs to build a for profit desktop environment for Linux with proper API's for GUI development.

• fabiosun changed the title to [Discussion] - TRX40 Bare Metal - Vanilla Patches