fabiosun

• Supervisor

@Rocket88 thank you for your EFI and Description

I would like to say that ABOVE 4G on is the same of adding on boot args npci=0x2000 (and this should not be a "my opinion" but a fact

So if Above 4G off AND npci=0x2000 work 

should also work Above 4G on AND nothing on config boot arg

In my MSI I can boot with or without 4G and this with my previous Nvidia >GPU and also now with Vega 64

@Rox67er

I see nothing bad in your config.plist and If you are in Big Sur sleep/wake should work

In my case the same set of SSDT and config have different behaviour in Catalina or Big Sur OSX

In Catalina after sleep I have only a dual black screen for my display and all system fans on

and system does not wake, I have to reset

With Big Sur sleep/wake work fine with 0 problems at all

this condition happens also without using any ssdt, so for me it is independent this fact (use them or not I mean)

• Like 1

@thenightflyerAt this point, the only working TB3 solution is using Gigabyte Designare MB that comes with its Titan-Ridge TB3 card.  I am trying to make a flashed TR TB3 card that works on my cMP5,1 to work on my Asrock Creator MB, which has no TB3 header (unlike Designare).  I am getting close: the SI is showing the TB3 port AND the connected drive... but the drive itself is not showing up in the OS🤔

Screen Shot 2020-12-02 at 10.02.50 AM.png

• Supervisor

@shutterbug168

attached pictures is from my MSI without any ssdt for TB:

855453045_ScreenShot2020-07-30at17_34_37.png.4740155b98b588c414584a988b3b72ef.png.f1d0c8a32ff9a75b5e8da1642194020a.png

with a proper SSDT you can see up to 40Gb/s x4 in speed status Port

The only thing in my Knowledge you can achieve with a SDesignare EX board is USB 3.x part that without a proper bios settings implementation seems impossible by now (designare has option for Titan Ridge by default

for more infos see on our titan Ridge thread oe read of some message @iGPU did also here

• Like 1

11 hours ago, fabiosun said:

@Rocket88 thank you for your EFI and Description

I would like to say that ABOVE 4G on is the same of adding on boot args npci=0x2000 (and this should not be a "my opinion" but a fact

So if Above 4G off AND npci=0x2000 work 

should also work Above 4G on AND nothing on config boot arg

In my MSI I can boot with or without 4G and this with my previous Nvidia >GPU and also now with Vega 64

@Rox67er

I see nothing bad in your config.plist and If you are in Big Sur sleep/wake should work

In my case the same set of SSDT and config have different behaviour in Catalina or Big Sur OSX

In Catalina after sleep I have only a dual black screen for my display and all system fans on

and system does not wake, I have to reset

With Big Sur sleep/wake work fine with 0 problems at all

this condition happens also without using any ssdt, so for me it is independent this fact (use them or not I mean)

Thanks, can confirm that Above 4G "ON" and nothing on boot arg works fine (this is the config I use, mind though that 4 addresses in your MMIO Whitelist will change based on 4G ON / OFF.

@fabiosun sleep just doesn't work, it always "immediately" like 1-2 seconds after sleep wakes up again. (Dark-wake) and the after touching the keyboard, full wake and screen turns on again.

I see this logging consistently in "pmset -g log":

2020-12-02 01:20:20 +0100 DarkWake            	DarkWake from Normal Sleep [CDN] : due to D0A1 D0A2 D0A3 D0A4 D0A5 D0A6 D0A7 D0B0 D0B1 D0B2 D0B3 D0B4 D0B5 D0B6 D0B7 D1A0 D1A1 D1A2 D1A3 D1A4 D1A5 D1A6 D1A7 D1B0 D1B1 D/ Using AC (Charge:0%) 3 secs    

Edited by Rox67er
Changed IOMMU into MMIO whitelist

I am not a Thunderbolt user but I understand from another forum that you may need to short pins 1 & 3 (connect a wire between them) if you do not have a thunderbolt header on your motherboard. I will look for the link when I get time and post it here.

• Supervisor
13 minutes ago, Rox67er said:

Thanks, can confirm that Above 4G "ON" and nothing on boot arg works fine (this is the config I use, mind though that 4 addresses in your IOMMU will change based on 4G ON / OFF.

@fabiosun sleep just doesn't work, it always "immediately" like 1-2 seconds after sleep wakes up again. (Dark-wake) and the after touching the keyboard, full wake and screen turns on again.

I see this logging consistently in "pmset -g log":

2020-12-02 01:20:20 +0100 DarkWake            	DarkWake from Normal Sleep [CDN] : due to D0A1 D0A2 D0A3 D0A4 D0A5 D0A6 D0A7 D0B0 D0B1 D0B2 D0B3 D0B4 D0B5 D0B6 D0B7 D1A0 D1A1 D1A2 D1A3 D1A4 D1A5 D1A6 D1A7 D1B0 D1B1 D/ Using AC (Charge:0%) 3 secs    

sorry I do not understand well this:

mind though that 4 addresses in your IOMMU will change based on 4G ON / OFF.

About sleep.are you .in Catalina?

Big Sur solved for many of us this problem

Maybe you can test Darkwake boot arg in Catalina...like darkwake=8..I have not tested it

• Like 1

@fabiosun, thanks but I was aware of those.

What I was trying to let people know was that if your motherboard does not have a thunderbolt header, THB_C, on it then you will need to connect the top and middle pins on the J1 header on a Titan Ridge add on card. Without that connection, most devices connected to the card will not work.

2 hours ago, fabiosun said:

sorry I do not understand well this:

mind though that 4 addresses in your IOMMU will change based on 4G ON / OFF.

About sleep.are you .in Catalina?

Big Sur solved for many of us this problem

Maybe you can test Darkwake boot arg in Catalina...like darkwake=8..I have not tested it

No my mistake... should be MMIO whitelist...  well almost the same letters. 😝

I tried dark wake = 0 but not 8, will give it a try. I only use Big Sur now.

Just tried darkwake=8 and still same behaviour

Edited by Rox67er

Installed Unity on bare metal BigSur 11.1 Beta (20C5048k) and tried to play with it - want to teach myself VR programming as Apple is coming up with some interesting stuff in this area.

It's not stable. I opened a Universal Render Pipeline project and tried to manipulate the sample scene. Apple got another one of our pretty PC stack traces. I suppose this is compiled to use some Intel specific intrinsics / instructions. (Update: no issues on Proxmox Catalina VM)

Process:               Unity [4848]
Path:                  /Applications/Unity/*/Unity.app/Contents/MacOS/Unity
Identifier:            com.unity3d.UnityEditor5.x
Version:               Unity version 2020.1.15f1 (2020.1.15f1)
Code Type:             X86-64 (Native)
Parent Process:        Unity Hub [4826]
Responsible:           Unity Hub [4826]
User ID:               501

Date/Time:             2020-12-02 22:35:19.515 -0500
OS Version:            macOS 11.1 (20C5048k)
Report Version:        12
Anonymous UUID:        6B7565A6-D0C8-3C93-8C55-737AA0F33AF5

Time Awake Since Boot: 2700 seconds

System Integrity Protection: enabled

Crashed Thread:        0  tid_307  Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Exception Type:        EXC_CRASH (SIGILL)
Exception Codes:       0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000
Exception Note:        EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Termination Signal:    Illegal instruction: 4
Termination Reason:    Namespace SIGNAL, Code 0x4
Terminating Process:   Unity [4848]

Thread 0 Crashed:: tid_307  Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread
0   libsystem_kernel.dylib            0x00007fff20348e6e mach_msg_trap + 10
1   libsystem_kernel.dylib            0x00007fff203491e0 mach_msg + 60
2   com.apple.CoreFoundation          0x00007fff20475bf7 __CFRunLoopServiceMachPort + 316
3   com.apple.CoreFoundation          0x00007fff204742ca __CFRunLoopRun + 1315
4   com.apple.CoreFoundation          0x00007fff204736ce CFRunLoopRunSpecific + 563
5   com.apple.HIToolbox               0x00007fff286ed6a0 RunCurrentEventLoopInMode + 292
6   com.apple.HIToolbox               0x00007fff286ed49c ReceiveNextEventCommon + 709
7   com.apple.HIToolbox               0x00007fff286ed1bf _BlockUntilNextEventMatchingListInModeWithFilter + 64
8   com.apple.AppKit                  0x00007fff22c89da5 _DPSNextEvent + 883
9   com.apple.AppKit                  0x00007fff22c8856b -[NSApplication(NSEvent) _nextEventMatchingEventMask:untilDate:inMode:dequeue:] + 1366
10  com.apple.AppKit                  0x00007fff22c7aa89 -[NSApplication run] + 586
11  com.apple.AppKit                  0x00007fff22c4ed92 NSApplicationMain + 816
12  com.unity3d.UnityEditor5.x        0x0000000112c4e517 EditorMain(int, char const**) + 759
13  com.unity3d.UnityEditor5.x        0x0000000112c4e6b9 main + 9
14  libdyld.dylib                     0x00007fff20398621 start + 1

Edited by meina222
  • +1 1

• Supervisor
11 hours ago, shutterbug168 said:

@fabiosun Yes, I have the same setup on my TR TB3 card (the only it will work with my cMp5,1).  Is your TR card working properly on your MSI MB without the TB3 header?

yes for thunderbolt device, no if I connect USB device

7 hours ago, shutterbug168 said:

@Rox67er, how did you resolve the shutdown and immediately restarting problem with the Asrock MB since there's no separate "Wake on Lan" option to turn off? Thanks!

have you defined properly your MMIO whitelist with your new board?

• Like 1

Maybe i was not clear with my question....i mean this. I have a titan ridge thunderbolt controller already patched and with tb cable jumpered. i actually use this controller with my x299 system...fully working hot plug etc. port 7 enabled etc. Last week i tried to setup a ryzentosh following fabiosun directions and using the same hw configuration and EFI he uses. So the thunderbolt was properly seen by osx, port 7 enabled etc. But when i switch on UA audio interface the system restart. Instead..if i switch on the audio card before booting osx everything work correctly, the UA is recognized and fully working. The problem is only when i switch on the interface when osx is running. That's why i would like to know if someone with audio interface connected to thunderbolt card have the same issue!

• Supervisor
7 minutes ago, shutterbug168 said:

@fabiosun Ah, I need to select the text first... before hitting "quote"🤣 Thanks again!

no, you have two method 

1)

select text and then wait a flash for graphics quote popup button

or

2)

push directly quote button you can find after plus sign (Quote -- Edit ---Options)

• Like 1

Big Sur Sleep Video

Catalina Sleep Working

@Rox67er & other Asrock board owners: My Asrock Creator EFI for both BS & Cat (with two variants of config (ie one with full Algrey patches called 'config1.plist', the other 'Config2.plist' with the only patches we need thanks to *fabiosun testing)  - please update and enter with your own platform info and rename your chosen configs.plist to config.plist). * Please note I swapped out the motherboard's  wifi/BT for a Broadcom 100%  Apple supported version board. However, I dont much use wifi/BT so test away!

Driftwood Cat BS with 2 variant configs EFI.zip

Edited by Driftwood
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Driftwood said:

Big Sur Sleep Video

Catalina Sleep Working

@Rox67er & other Asrock board owners: My Asrock Creator EFI for both BS & Cat (with two variants of config (ie one with full Algrey patches called 'config1.plist', the other 'Config2.plist' with the only patches we need thanks to *fabiosun testing)  - please update and enter with your own platform info and rename your chosen configs.plist to config.plist). * Please note I swapped out the motherboard's  wifi/BT for a Broadcom 100%  Apple supported version board. However, I dont much use wifi/BT so test away!

Driftwood Cat BS with 2 variant configs EFI.zip 1.83 MB · 0 downloads

Wow, thanks @Driftwood! Is that the Dell 8K monitor?  I thought macOS wouldn't support it in true 8K... You are the man👍 

• fabiosun changed the title to [Discussion] - TRX40 Bare Metal - Vanilla Patches