fabiosun

1 hour ago, fabiosun said:

No

check in my efi

if you see in kext an amdcpupowrrmanagement kext

disable it in config and see if it boots

patches above is another story and are useful to boot Big Sur with clover bootloader

Yeah I tried that trying to boot Catalina with Open core with your EFI not Big Sur... By removing the kext from the config it gets to the same point but instead of failing saying - 1 just sits on ready...

• Like 1

• Supervisor

there is a misunderstanding

clover is a different story, I have posted here the config and EFI to boot Big Sur also with it (not possible before)

My previous OpenCore EFi helped @23d1to boot in HighSierra

and that EFI could be useful also for you if you have always problems you have had in the past with it

However high Sierra have some problems (Audio usb is not working and some apps produce a panic if under pressure)

I have solved that limiting my cores to 16 + HT

In newer system this problem is not present

My effort in clover was for this, because with it is more simple to do some testing and to debug...

• Like 1

Hi everyone!

I've just finished assembling the machine in my signature, and I've got it booting the latest Catalina on bare metal using an EFI modified from @Ploddles link in the first post. Very smooth process, thanks for sharing the hard work!

Since I've got a Designare instead of an Aorus Xtreme, I assume I'm going to need to make a bunch more mods to get things running perfectly (USB mapping, sleep and wake, OpenIntelWireless, SSDT for the Titan Ridge card, etc).

I've read through a lot of this thread and found a few things already, like the correct kext for my ethernet controller. But since things have been moving quickly and new innovations seem to keep happening, I was wondering if anyone already has an EFI customized specifically for the TRX40 Designare already, to save me some troubleshooting and thread archaeology. @meina222, earlier in the thread you seemed to be working on a Designare build, but maybe ran into some issues? Do you have things configured to your satisfaction now?

• +1 1

hi @jncasey,

Yes I've had success with the TRX40 Designare. Here is my setup and each of these points as important to my EFI and may not apply to you.

1. I run BIOS f4h, which allows me to run Titan Ridge in Slot 4

2. I have the 4x4x4x4 AIC nvme's in Slot 3

3. I run my GPU in Slot 1 (although I think you can run AIC in Slot 1 and GPU in Slot 3 with equal success)

4. I run a 3rd party Bluetooth/Wireless card in x1 PCIE slot with Apple ROM. If you don't care about BT/Handoff/Continuity, then you could use a kext for the onboard AX200 - I disable the AX200 in my EFI.

Point 1. is particularly important as the MMIO addresses I have in my EFI are specific to f4h. If you run f4c or f4l (the last 2 official BIOS's on revision 1.0 of the TRX40 Designare) then my EFI won't work, nor will the above slot configuration (board won't even boot to BIOS). Gigabyte has issues with running TB in Slot 4 with official BIOS-es -  f4h is not official, and was shared by Gigabyte support to address this problem.

With all that in mind, if you still want my EFI I can share it. I have also attempted USB mapping for the MacPro7,1 SMBIOS minus the disabled AX200 port and all seems good. Let me know if this is of any help, but I am concerned that unless you update your BIOS to f4h, my EFI may do more harm than good if you reuse parts of it without knowing why they are there. If you just reuse the EFI, it won't even boot.

Edited by meina222

Thanks, @meina222!

I updated to bios 4fl before installing any OS, so it sounds like I won't be able to take advantage of the hard work you've put in on your EFI. Thanks for both the offer and the warning.

Interestingly, I've got my GPU in slot 1 and the Titan Ridge card in slot 4, and have had no problems with the system booting. I'm even able to mount USB 3 drives through the card's ports, though I haven't tested true Thunderbolt yet (I'll have to make a special trip into the office to grab something, because all I have at home is a MacBook, which I assume won't connect to an un-flashed TR card). I'm not using the NVMe card or 3rd party wireless card, though, so maybe that's the difference? 

For the USB map, I'm assuming our bios difference won't allow us to share. Did you just follow the Dortania manual guide, since USBInjectAll apparently doesn't work on AMD systems?

@jncasey

BIOS f4l may work, but as soon as you try to use the AIC 4x4x4x4 (like I do) in Slot 3, then you will run out of PCIE lanes if you enable TB pcie in BIOS - board will show D4 code.

If you don't use the AIC card included with the motherboard you could be fine, but I have never tested such configuration.

Not on my Hack at the moment. I will post my EFI in the next hour or so. It contains USB mapping (this should be independent of BIOS) and SSDT for the Titan Ridge. Do not use the MMIO addresses in it, from the 'whitelist' section. They are specific to f4h and do not work with f4c (and likely f4l). So you should be able to look at the EFI and let me know if you have questions, but if you try to boot with it, it may not work.

Edited by meina222
  • Like 1

@jncasey, if needed, you can flash your MB back to any version you want. It doesn't have to be newer, it can be older as well.

The last time I updated the BIOS it made no difference to the whitelist, they were exactly the same, but do check as yours may be different with different BIOS versions.

Edited by Ploddles

@Ploddles, that's right. I tried f4l and didn't work for me and flashed back f4h. But when you flash, it's a pain as you lose your settings (saved profiles too) and even then I can see why one wouldn't want to flash with a BIOS not on GB official site. That BIOS is broken though for my slot configuration, whereas f4h works great, but it took me a month and 20 emails w Gigabyte support to convince them of the problem. 

@jncasey, in case you do try f4h, keep in mind that this BIOS https://www.mediafire.com/file/vesxcxni064jio1/TRX40AORUSXTREME.F4h/file may not be it, as it is dated July 2020 and the one sent to me by Gigabyte is dated Sep 3rd. So I think they sent me a modified f4h or maybe even a different f4h altogether to allow running TB in slot 4 + 2 other x16 slots populated.

• +1 1

@jncasey,

Here is my config.plist (minus serials), ACPI folder and BIOS. The config.plist is OC 0.6.2 compatible. For TB you need to flash your Titan Ridge ROM and build yourself a similar SSDT to the one in the ACPI section. Do not reuse mine verbatim - you need to generate your own ThunderboltDROM section with unique MAC and ROM version dependent string. This is just a reference. When you get to TB, we can discuss this off this thread as the topic is a bit more involved.

config.plist.zip ACPI.zip TRX40DESIGNAREGA9.F4h.zip

• +1 1

@meina222, I've never lost the saved profile on a BIOS update. Once they didn't appear after an update when I went into BIOS to reload it, however, a cold boot (turning off power/pulling power cord for 10 seconds) and they reappeared when I went back in.

I also save a copy of my profile(s) to a USB stick, "just in case".

Thanks @meina222. These files definitely gave me a major head start.

In your USB map, did you end up disabling any of the active ports other than the bluetooth controller? I reenabled that in my map, but was wondering if there was anything else I might want to add back.

And for the TR card, is flashing the ROM going to be necessary to get things working on this system? I've been happy with the un-flashed Thunderbolt capabilities of my Z390 Designare. I've already put together an SSDT using a tool developed by one of the tonymacx86 regulars, and I can see the PCI card in the system report and connect USB devices. I still need to run to grab a test a Thunderbolt audio interface though.

One of my USB 3 headers on the bottom is unoccupied - the right one of the 2 headers on the motherboard's lower right area. This one is maybe not quite mapped 100%. Other than the AX200 which should be a missing PRT 5 in one of the tree roots, nothing other disabled. If I enable this port, the AX200 hides my PCIE x1 bluetooth and the Apple driver won't load.

For TR, you need a custom ROM unfortunately. It's not hard,  you just need to get a flash device and compatible ROM. I used this

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07SHSL9X9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and flashed several times without an issue.

From my experience flashing a Z390 Designare ROM will work. The driver loaded when using a matching SSDT ROM section and showed correct tree. I use a different ROM, mostly to match the version by a couple of other users here. Have not tested extensively to know the difference, but it would seem to me at least 2 ROM versions would do the job of getting this started.

Edited by meina222
  • +1 1

My USB setup. Not sure why I can't paste it w higher resolution. What do you guys use for screen grab? If I do Shift+Cmd+4 and then copy paste the snipped screen I get below barely readable shot.

image.png.eccbb3c2f5eacf57048da6d76a5cd18b.png

Edited by meina222
  • +1 1

@meina222 @Ploddles, thank you both so much for your assistance so far.

I've noticed neither of you have the RebuildAppleMemoryMap or SyncRuntimePermissions booter quirks enabled in your configs, even though they're recommended in the Dortania AMD guide. Did you disable them to fix a specific issue you were having with your Threadripper / Gigabyte TRX40? My machine seems to boot fine in macOS either way, but I need them enabled to have OpenCore boot Ubuntu.*

*I know I should probably be booting other OSes via the BIOS boot menu instead, but OpenCore is right there and so convenient. 

• Supervisor

@jncasey

Dortania Guide is often not accurate when it advices stuff for trx40

sometimes they update it 

latest 4 Quirks they suggest to disable in TRX40 system often could be useful as in your case..

I do not why they write in that way without a minimal explanation !

• Like 1
  • +1 1

@Ploddles, thanks, I understand that. That's why I'm coming to you guys, with working TRX40 builds. I guess I'm trying to ask if having those quirks disabled solved a specific problem on your machine, or if you didn't pay much attention to them either way.

Enabling the quirks allows me to use OpeCore to boot Ubuntu, but if that comes at the price of some other issue that I haven't come across but you've already solved, I'd love to take advantage of your experience.

• Like 1

• Supervisor

for our platform if you do not modify many stuff in ACPI you can boot all system only using some of those quirks

Opencore devs say always if you do ACIPICA approved modify (or similar sorry I am not an expert of this) with opencore you can start other system without bad boot loader interactions

in some case latest quirk is useful to avoid some problems in windows or in ubuntu

Now it is also possible to  boot with Clover boot loader (v5124 or greater) also on trx40..clover in the past was used to boot well many OS because it has less restrictive rules in patching stuff  than OpenCore🙂

I prefer Opencore boot loader for now , but it is possible to use AMD kernel patches with success also for us 🙂

832999632_ScreenShot2020-10-24at19_19_43.png.28e56adbc4df2ddc43926ccc185d9456.png

• Like 2

Hi @jncasey,

The aforementioned patches are not disabled due to any known issue - I just experimented with a minimal set of quirks and also checked what others were doing to boot and run. As @fabiosun mentioned the Dortania guide is not accurate with respect to AMD based systems, and the documentation as to why these quirks are "recommended" is poor and does not always apply to MacOS on TRX40.

Edited by meina222
  • +1 2

• fabiosun changed the title to [Discussion] - TRX40 Bare Metal - Vanilla Patches