fabiosun

@Driftwood Any chance you'd share your EFI folder? I have a very similar setup with the ASRock TRX40 Creator, and cannot for the life of me get past the initial install process. Freezes at 2 minutes remaining, and none of the fixes in the OpenCore guide seem to work. I followed it very closely. Right now I have Proxmox running and I've installed on a passthrough NVMe that I want to try and "convert" to bare metal.

3 hours ago, Driftwood said:

@23d1 u installing Cat or BS? Cus I use two different EFIs  whilst BS is in Beta. 

Also I can boot my Proxmox cat m2 drive using same baremetal efi I use for Baremetal cat SSD.

I need both just for comfort!

@Driftwood It sounds like you're doing what I'm trying to do (kvm and bare metal with one macOS install). Would really appreciate if you'd be willing to share your Catalina EFI. Would love to take a look at it and see where I'm messing up currently.

Edited by 23d1

• Supervisor

@23d1you do not need of @Driftwoodefi because hig sierra is a bit more complex to rule than newer osx..you also have 3 nvidia and a 3990x

about 3990x

you have to limit your ccd via bios to 2

nvidia is more tricky

you have to find the right ‘alchemy’ with nvram (working or not) and high sierra SIP and gatekeeper...not simple but possible..

I am using a single high sierra installation on my nvme sabrent drive to boot osx in proxmox and in bare metal (different EFI, in proxmox is less patched)

not advisable if you use adobe app but it is possible

OT

By the way great works in your site! 👍

• Like 1

• Supervisor

@jncasey

@Ploddles

I see you are talking on tonymacx86 about after effects

Main problem in After Effects is about these features:

823568921_ScreenShot2020-10-11at10_03_00.png.8a6cc188b7c584f8ca3816551a2c63fd.png

It is not possible to use in After effects and AMD rigs (latest AE 2020 fails)

And this for productivity could be a serious problem

Same features used in BlackMagic Davinci resolve are working well

• Like 3

12 hours ago, fabiosun said:

@23d1you do not need of @Driftwoodefi because hig sierra is a bit more complex to rule than newer osx..you also have 3 nvidia and a 3990x

about 3990x

you have to limit your ccd via bios to 2

nvidia is more tricky

you have to find the right ‘alchemy’ with nvram (working or not) and high sierra SIP and gatekeeper...not simple but possible..

I am using a single high sierra installation on my nvme sabrent drive to boot osx in proxmox and in bare metal (different EFI, in proxmox is less patched)

not advisable if you use adobe app but it is possible

OT

By the way great works in your site! 👍

Totally get it, but still interested in the setup as I'm hoping I'm just missing a kext or ACPI/config.plist quirk or something. I've tried pretty much everything at this point, even unplugging GPUs, moving components around and so forth. At least Proxmox works, but initially, my plan was to run macOS from my Arch installation, where I have all the 3D tools I use (Houdini, Maya, Redshift), then use the KVM for Adobe Creative Cloud apps. Is there a way to pass all 128 threads to VM as 64, or would I need to turn off hyperthreading just like bare metal?

OT

Thanks, man! 🙂 

• Supervisor

You must off HT because 64 cores/threads are OS X limit

if you have proxmox booting fine you should be able to boot also in baremetal

post your working proxmox Efi if you want and I will try to build an initial bare metal Efi for you 

if you have an OS X high Sierra working well in proxmox you may have to clone that disk and then put there bare metal efi 

• Like 1

@fabiosun, @23d1

for bare metal I disable SMT (analogous to hyperthreading) in BIOS. On Proxmox I enable SMT and give 64 cpus to my VM. These are logical CPUs. I also “pin” the VM threads to logical cores 0-63 via task sets, but this is not required.

i had lots of problems with bare metal including freezing and random reboots till I enabled DummyPowerManagement in OC. It’s seemingly required for 3990x (could be a motherboard thing but I suspect cpu) besides SMT off - don’t know if that will solve @23d1’s problem - try it.

Edited by meina222

9 hours ago, fabiosun said:

You must off HT because 64 cores/threads are OS X limit

if you have proxmox booting fine you should be able to boot also in baremetal

post your working proxmox Efi if you want and I will try to build an initial bare metal Efi for you 

if you have an OS X high Sierra working well in proxmox you may have to clone that disk and then put there bare metal efi 

@fabiosun Yeah, definitely have that turned off when trying. Here's my Proxmox EFI (dropbox link due to file size: https://www.dropbox.com/s/t8aoqeccfynffjw/Proxmox-EFI.7z?dl=0), as well as my (broken) bare metal EFI. Already had the DummyPowerManagement enabled @meina222...

Bare-Metal-EFI.7z

Edited by 23d1

@fabiosun Thanks man, really really appreciate it. In bare metal, the EFI works for booting the install and getting to about 2 minutes remaining on the install and then it just freezes. When trying to boot my NVMe (Proxmox install) it freezes while trying to boot. No kernel panic or anything, nothing in the system logs, so it's been borderline impossible to debug.

Edited by 23d1

• Supervisor

when you upload an EFI you can delete Apple folder and also all audio inside resources 🙂

try to boot with this EFI attached

You should use it with an High Sierra yet installed because in there there are no kext for ethernet (I do not understand well for your bare metal EFi which one you use

with this EFI I can install/boot from all OSX System..

If we go further we will add kext for ethernet you need

if you are not in water loop (for GPU) if with all 3 GPU fails, I would try with only one in slot 1

EFI.zip

Edited by fabiosun
ops..I did an error..now is good (commented my MMIO)
  • Like 1

On 10/8/2020 at 1:05 AM, Driftwood said:

@fojerhar

These are the Catalina drivers that Hackintools (see PCIe) will show what is running for firewire. Please check yours.

966205172_ScreenShot2020-10-08at00_03_03.png.b486b9afe9f09991b3e03b049b18c2cf.png

Screen Shot 2020-10-08 at 00.02.36.png

Hi, thankyou

iGPU helped me private, and found the soutlution, that my fw card only wotrks in slot1 and gpu goes to slot3, with this setup the contfiguration is fine, weird

It did not wanted to mess up the forum with my problem too many times

• Like 1

• Supervisor

thank you @fojerharto let know us  how you have solved your interesting problem 🙂

It is always useful also for others to have public conversations and do not worry if the thread is going to mess itself someone provide to recover it in a proper way 🙂

• Like 2

• Moderators
11 minutes ago, fabiosun said:

thank you @fojerharto let know us  how you have solved your interesting problem 🙂

It is always useful also for others to have public conversations and do not worry if the thread is going to mess itself someone provide to recover it in a proper way 🙂

@fojerhar is correct, we would have really cluttered the thread last weekend.

It took many emails and various file exchanges to solve. Once in the correct slots (when we trouble-shoot, we rarely think to try a single GPU in anything other than slot 1), and with an adjusted DSDT, the Firewire card now works well.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 10/11/2020 at 4:08 AM, fabiosun said:

@jncasey

@Ploddles

I see you are talking on tonymacx86 about after effects

Main problem in After Effects is about these features:

823568921_ScreenShot2020-10-11at10_03_00.png.8a6cc188b7c584f8ca3816551a2c63fd.png

It is not possible to use in After effects and AMD rigs (latest AE 2020 fails)

And this for productivity could be a serious problem

Same features used in BlackMagic Davinci resolve are working well

Thanks, @fabiosun. Sorry not to respond more quickly, I haven't been checking this forum as often as tonymacx86.

It sounds like Ploddles was able to successfully run the Puget benchmark (which uses Warp Stabilizer and Camera Tracker) on bare metal with the latest (AMD-patched, non-beta) After Effects. So that was very encouraging for me to see. Hopefully when the Adobe beta channel is pushed to release, patching won't even be necessary. My normal workflow doesn't make heavy use of those specific plugins anyway, so I'm going to move forward building a test system with a 3970X and a Gigabyte TRX40 Designare. 

Once the parts arrive, I'm sure I'll be back here – hopefully to report my success, but most likely to ask for guidance when I run into a problem.

• Like 2
  • Cross Finger 1
  • +1 1

19 hours ago, fabiosun said:

when you upload an EFI you can delete Apple folder and also all audio inside resources 🙂

try to boot with this EFI attached

You should use it with an High Sierra yet installed because in there there are no kext for ethernet (I do not understand well for your bare metal EFi which one you use

with this EFI I can install/boot from all OSX System..

If we go further we will add kext for ethernet you need

if you are not in water loop (for GPU) if with all 3 GPU fails, I would try with only one in slot 1

EFI.zip 3.67 MB · 1 download

@fabiosun

It boots! Amazing. Thanks a ton!
The only issue now is that USB doesn't seem to work (no keyboard or mouse, basically).

• +1 1

• Supervisor

@23d1i think you are the second users to have nvidia and highsierra booting with trx40

for your usb problem

are you using a cabled usb/mouse system to back motherboard usb?

or are you using bt/wifi mouse/keyboard?

when you solve this problem we can go further and i hope nvidia driver is active yet

added ethernet for one of your lan (aquantia 10G should be  seen by default in high Sierra,  2.5 ethernet RTL8125  one no

you have to declare it properly the kext attached in your config

Different users here have the same your board and it could be useful to follow their advice about kext needed..for high Sierra and Nvidia ask to me 🙂

@TheDantee have you solved your problem also with my latest EFI..I need more high Sierra users possible 🙂

kext_asrock creator.zip

Edited by fabiosun
ethernet kext added
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Jaidy said:

@Rox67er do you have an app that allows for volume controlling from within the macOS using its controls when you use your DAC?

I can use the system volume control to set the output volume, the input channels are controlled "analog" by the hardware.

Maybe I misunderstand your question.

@fabiosun Fantastic, thanks! Will try this out after work later today. I've tried every port and BT, so I wonder if it's a missing aml or kext for the specific chipset...

Edit;

I got bluetooth working with IntelBluetoothFirmware.kext, so I could connect keyboard and mouse and subsequently log in. However, while macOS sees the Nvidia GPUs, there is no GPU acceleration. I tried running Cinebench just to see the CPU score on bare metal, but the machine froze completely so I had to hard reset. Will test more later.

Edited by 23d1

On 10/5/2020 at 10:18 AM, Ploddles said:

Updated OC 0.6.2, Lilu, Whatevergreen, VirtualSMC etc have just been officially released.

Hi @Ploddles

I'm having issues with my logitech mouse and keyboard that they keep dropping connections. I tried to use a USB hub and it doesn't help.

I also try different SMBIOS but still no luck. Could you share your EFI so I can give a try? Thanks!

15 hours ago, Rox67er said:

I can use the system volume control to set the output volume, the input channels are controlled "analog" by the hardware.

Maybe I misunderstand your question.

Just like when using system audio over DP/HDMI, the volume can not be controlled using the macOS controls. I just got a DAC (connected via USB), and I think previously I was able to use the macOS controls with a USB DAC, but this time around, the volume controls are disabled..

4 hours ago, Rdak said:

Hi @Ploddles

I'm having issues with my logitech mouse and keyboard that they keep dropping connections. I tried to use a USB hub and it doesn't help.

I also try different SMBIOS but still no luck. Could you share your EFI so I can give a try? Thanks!

I would like the EFI too 😛

• fabiosun changed the title to [Discussion] - TRX40 Bare Metal - Vanilla Patches