fabiosun

• Moderators
On 9/22/2020 at 4:11 AM, fojerhar said:

Hi

I don't know if this is the good thread to ask this, I try to make alive my Firewire card for my uad sound card . Tried many things, irq conflicts, and so on, inserted at Device properties, kext loaded, but still no success. This was a native working card in my previous builds.

Software writes Driver not installed correctly, it means that I did not allowed in in security and Privacy , but there was no option for that

Did you get your Firewire card working?

I've used many types and so far, all have worked natively in bare metal in Z390, X299 and TRX40 builds with no added kexts or DevProp. If you've added anything (such as a special kext) remove them.

If still having problems, upload an IORE file.

• Like 1

• Moderators
On 9/22/2020 at 5:09 AM, fabiosun said:

AMD radeon users..if you want try here is the trick 🙂

376270999_ScreenShot2020-09-22at14_06_54.png.a1ff13a022904f70d05616eafa43837d.png

While this change did not significantly raise the FPS, it increased CPU results by over 20%!!! 😁

C20-3970X-UpdateDataHub-disabled.png.95c80a1e20972f640937ccdbae93ac08.png

C15-CPU-3970X-UpdateDataHub-disabled.png.4ed478c0789216441b21f810c7adad58.png

Edited by iGPU

• Supervisor

thanks for testing 

weird thing is that in HighSierra I have no weird video fast forward (only audio desinch)

In Catalina and BIG Sur fast video (not useful)

I have a great improvement (for real) in High Sierra with DaVinci resolve

now I am trying to boot with clover because in the past it could manage separately FSB and art settings. it is possible also with OC..let see if something good could happen

for now no success (no boot with clover)

415838964_ScreenShot2020-09-25at14_38_57.png.6f1522ae60ab67ab8bc0d79c11f38167.png

• Supervisor
17 minutes ago, Ploddles said:

Have you tried with UpdateDataHub enabled as well? I have always had all those options enabled, maybe that is why I have had good scores even with my lowly RX580.

Poddles, by default is always enable

i have a boost of performances if I disable it

but only in high Sierra without drawback on video playing in you tube

in proxmox thread was possible to fake some benchmark not using invtsc boot arg

in that case I have had weird video and audio problem

in high Sierra only audio desinch and cracking audio with data hub disabled 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, iGPU said:

While this change did not significantly raise the FPS, it increased CPU results by over 20%!!! 😁

C20-3970X-UpdateDataHub-disabled.png.95c80a1e20972f640937ccdbae93ac08.png

C15-CPU-3970X-UpdateDataHub-disabled.png.4ed478c0789216441b21f810c7adad58.png

Very interesting.... same "boost" here.

The question is: is this result REAL? 

I test in Geekbench also and I could observe near the same "boost" in speed: both CPU and video card.

It seems very strange. I need a real world test to determine if they are real results or not. 

The reason you guys are seeing huge increase in speed is because the TSC timing is set to a higher rate than the CPU frequency. It is similar to not using invariant timing, each tick of the timer gets mutiplied against itself.  Most of the stuff related to the Datahub is related to timing and frequency settings, by disabling it you basically take what is in your ACPI tables which are only for machine startup, then the kernel suppose to recalculate those, which doesn't happen in macOS because it doesn't support AMD CPUs natively.

Edited by Pavo
  • Thanks 2

• Moderators
35 minutes ago, Cosmin Batica said:

Everything is moving light speed, amazing.

BUT:  Audio is broken, no matter is internal audio or external audio - USB. Sound is played with many interruptions and distorted.

Someone could give me a advice to repair audio? Thanks.

Agreed: no audio from USB. But curiously, the USB Audio interface does light up as if responding to varying audio levels, but nothing is going to the speakers.

Meanwhile, Firewire audio is good, but completely out of sync with the video (on YouTube for example).

Earlier today, I tried the disabling of UpdateDataHub on both Z390 and X299 systems and found little improvement in speed. But I did not check audio on those systems. (I'll recheck later.) I just read Pavo's post above; this would explain the difference between AMD and Intel when disabling UpdateDataHub.

Sigh... back to usual speed.

Edited by iGPU

We've been there with this test a few days ago I thought!

On Discord we all agreed (and Algrey) that its pointless using UpdateDataHub as timing is shot! Its all over the place. And as you saw, anything below 64KhZ (48K, 44k and 32k) is lagged and cracklin' to hell!

Higher timings like 96k and 192k on my firewire were fine... however, it will latency correct timings every few minutes at these settings  I later discovered.

Summary: Its a no go for anything related to timing in OSX. As Pavo has spelt out. If you use it for rendering or cpu 'speedup' things look great but probably will error.

If there was a way to harness TSC better and to use this, then Im sure Algrey and others are looking it it.

• Supervisor

I believe that each of us has ideas about hackintosh, beliefs more or less based on our own

if you followed the bootloader or patches developers ideas ... you wouldn't be here today.

for me the little lesson on what the TSC does is not acceptable as I talked about it in unsuspecting times.

you haven't even read correctly what I said here and on discord another matter then that as I told you

on highsierra the behavior is different in baremetal using or not datahub ,

different than more modern systems

only audio is “borked” .. to use an expression so dear to devs and said in the past about patches

having said that I close it here

@Driftwood

we have a discord channel but we prefer to use the forum

you are free to create an ad hoc one

if on amd osx discord please just give some credit to this forum

thank you

Edited by fabiosun
Formatting
  • Like 1

• Supervisor

before talking and quoting person not directly are talking here

try the same

this is my example...

audio is not working..the rest is the same (better for GPU in high Sierra)

This video was encoded in Davinci Resolve with data hub off..

fps are about double faster than with data hub on...

this is true in high Sierra and with my Nvidia GPU

Same system, in Catalina and in Big Sur (with minimal web driver functionality) I have fast forward video (and always audio "borked" 😂 )

• Like 1

• Supervisor

Then, if you allow me ...

as over time all the ways to have these systems working have been tried and tested ...

I remind you that all this started with a huge effort for the time where everyone said that you could not think not even to make it work properly because:

1) it's an AMD

2) the patches are borked

3) all the worst you want to think ..

and that was also said against myself when I was trying to find a solution.

Having said that now it goes ..

With the continuous research we are doing .. it is understood for example that the FIX PAT is useless for us..

and that for everyone it slows down the graphics performance

And this thanks to some such as @Pavo who did the tests or also thanks to me and @iGPU who were the first to try the MMIO route (two unrelated things, only to be clear)

Now without wanting to praise my and your work .. maybe .. and I say maybe out of my innate modesty .. it would be useful to think a little outside the common schemes ..

if we had remained within these schemes .. we would not have had the way to Proxmox..and we would have stayed with the phrases that the patches were "borked"

Do you agree with me in this? 😉 

ps this morning I woke up with an Headache 🙂 🙂 🙂 and for this so many words

Back in Windows now 😛

• Like 1
  • +1 2

18 hours ago, iGPU said:

Did you get your Firewire card working?

I've used many types and so far, all have worked natively in bare metal in Z390, X299 and TRX40 builds with no added kexts or DevProp. If you've added anything (such as a special kext) remove them.

If still having problems, upload an IORE file.

Hi, no, still suffering with it.

Now I have an LSI FW643 installed. As I remember, older builds I did not have to do anything special

Thank you

iMac Pro v5 pcislot4.zip

• fabiosun changed the title to [Discussion] - TRX40 Bare Metal - Vanilla Patches