fabiosun

• Supervisor

With your help I will add on above thread (pinned and locked) all useful links born from our discussion

Added for now only MMIO @iGPUdetailed explanation and others generic I think useful

Say your opinion and also help me to add there useful stuff for our community 

Thank you all! 🙂 🙂

Ok.... was about to update without issues using UnRAID, cpu is set to host and no issues. Tried to boot back into bare metal after update was complete, nogo. So.. its gotta be a kernel patch that needs to be updated. Going to test each kernel patch while in UnRAID to see if I can identify which patch needs to be updated. Also just too prove that CPU is set as host and booting without issues, here is a pic (not photoshopped like some people think I might do).

Screen Shot 2020-09-17 at 6.51.10 PM.png

Edited by Pavo
  • Like 1

On 8/28/2020 at 9:41 PM, Driftwood said:

TRX40 Bare metal Mac Pro7,1 proving very good....

Adobe Premiere Pro Beta - Working without Patch

Adobe Audition Beta - Working without patch

Adobe Effects Beta Working without patch

Adobe Photoshop (no beta to try) requires patch

Adobe Illustrator Beta - Doesnt work crashes

Adobe Media Encoder beta - Works

Final Cut Pro X Works 100%

Logic Pro 10.5.1 Working 100%

Avid Sibelius Ultimate - works 100%

Native Instruments Kontakt 5 and 6 - working with all sample libraries!

App Store Working 100%

Capture One (Photoshop rival) Works

Affinity Photo (photoshop rival) works

Camtasia - 2019 Not Working crashes (alternative Screenflow from Telestream or OBS)

OBS Works

Blackmagic Davinci Resolve ver 16.2.6 and 16.3 beta 2 (Crashes - therefore requires dylib patch then works) See iGPU link at beginning of thread.

MS Office Word, Excel, Powerpoint, etc... 2020 -Works

Handbrake Video Encoder - Works

All web browsers work

Quicktime, Movist and VLC all work

Discord works for me (havent tried the audio screen sharing though)

Assimilate Scratch Grading Software - Works

Autopano Video 2.5 - works

Apple Mail - Works

Lattice LUT maker - works

Blackmagic Design Desktop video - works

Loopback - works

RME Fireface 800 with Firewire - works with NO audio dropouts or clipping

Tenntacle Systems timecode software - works

Steam - Gaming Interface - works

Counter Strike GO - Fails! Begins to load then beachballs and dies 

iMessage works

Cinebench 15 - doesnt work

Cinebench 20 - works and will give you a top score!

All in all for the media video or audio editor, Bare Metal is fine. If you're wanting to run games, Proxmox is the way to go.

Audio is much more solid on bare metal without clicks or pops unlike Proxmox which is temperamental and has latency issues as projects grow.

All the main video NLEs seem to work fine apart from Davinci which needs dylib patch

Photoshop is easily rivalled by Capture One for Pros or even Affinity Photo for lesser tasks, but I expect a new beta to appear soon that will work like the other betas do - Illustrator the same.

Microsoft Office working well.

It appears that Waves audio plugin now works with Ryzen (previous did not), so perhaps with TR as well...

• Like 1

I matched @Pavo's experience - upgraded my VM (not same disk as bare metal) which was still on beta 5, 1st to beta6, then to beta 7 using lates OC builder and CPU host. Worked without a glitch.

Did not try bare metal - taking people's word that it will be a problem booting so leaving at beta 6 for now till the patches are sorted out.

• Supervisor
10 hours ago, Pavo said:

Ok.... was about to update without issues using UnRAID, cpu is set to host and no issues. Tried to boot back into bare metal after update was complete, nogo. So.. its gotta be a kernel patch that needs to be updated. Going to test each kernel patch while in UnRAID to see if I can identify which patch needs to be updated. Also just too prove that CPU is set as host and booting without issues, here is a pic (not photoshopped like some people think I might do).

Screen Shot 2020-09-17 at 6.51.10 PM.png

Who do not believe in your testing?

in my case as I said you and others in discord channel I have used Penryn because my vm config has always worked in this way with Big Sur installation step
After installation I can always use my usual vm config

but as you know also host cpu in vm does not mean it is the same as bare metal.

I hope it does not need of many efforts in kernel patching.

Howewer algrey asked to try a new one on discord (AMD ones)

:

try to bypass the function : 
FIND : E8 5C 61 01 00
REPLACE : 0F 1F 44 00 00

or this
FIND : E8 E3 7B FF FF 48 85 C0 0F 99 05 B9 89 A0 00 48 8D 35 B2 89 A0 00 48 8D 3D 68 C9 74 00 BA 01 00 00 00 31 C9 E8 3F 67 6B 00
REPLACE : 66 66 66 0F 1F 84 00 00 00 00 00 66 66 66 0F 1F 84 00 00 00 00 00 66 66 66 0F 1F 84 00 00 00 00 00 0F 1F 84 00 00 00 00 00

9 hours ago, fabiosun said:

Who do not believe in your testing?

in my case as I said you and others in discord channel I have used Penryn because my vm config has always worked in this way with Big Sur installation step
After installation I can always use my usual vm config

but as you know also host cpu in vm does not mean it is the same as bare metal.

I hope it does not need of many efforts in kernel patching.

Howewer algrey asked to try a new one on discord (AMD ones)

:

try to bypass the function : 

or this
FIND : E8 E3 7B FF FF 48 85 C0 0F 99 05 B9 89 A0 00 48 8D 35 B2 89 A0 00 48 8D 3D 68 C9 74 00 BA 01 00 00 00 31 C9 E8 3F 67 6B 00
REPLACE : 66 66 66 0F 1F 84 00 00 00 00 00 66 66 66 0F 1F 84 00 00 00 00 00 66 66 66 0F 1F 84 00 00 00 00 00 0F 1F 84 00 00 00 00 00

Been working with Algrey on discord.... The first one gets past the sticking point but kernel panics and instant reboots after ACPI tables load and can not get a good video of the panic itself, have tried multiple times.

The second one does not get found at all.. Algrey is aware.

• Supervisor

Ok

if you see (with the due differences caused to the time zone of each of us)..many of us are working with algrey.. or rather we are testing what he proposes to do,also in DM..

in my case also booting with an his 10.13.6 compiled new kernel (not related to BS problem)

for the moment without success

We all hope to have it soon and to understand the current problem

• Moderators

I too tested. It boots Mojave, Catalina and Big Sur.

Furthermore, it allowed me to download and update ß6 to ß7 in bare metal (it required 4 re-boots for update).

So thanks Pavo (and algrey)!

Edited by iGPU
  • Like 1

Just did the update on the bare metal from beta 6 to beta 7 - several reboots later, it finished just as expected, so thank you from me too.

For those who don't know how to back out what changed from the git history, attaching my config plist with working patches (1st 4 patches added based on Pavo's git commit). Note: this covers Big Sur only.

config.plist.zip

Edited by meina222
  • Like 1

• Moderators

Some testing under BS ß7, not as good as ß6 (several runs all with similar values shown below).

With the final patch enabled (algrey - mtrr_update_action - fix PAT):

1709348566_ScreenShot2020-09-19at9_58_25PM.png.6249034806e25f6c4b74b329bed3a6a2.png

With it disabled (~20% improvement, but still of of the 140 fps on ß6 and old Patches):

2000372968_ScreenShot2020-09-19at10_10_22PM.png.ebac8374e0b7f2517c5c958709ad0f78.png

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, fabiosun said:

Unfortunately they still don't go to me, compared to the previous ones they go a little further in the verbose but then the system restarts I think after a message on the USB However it does not make a good reference here as I have other difficulties to deal with very likely using Nvidia

@meina222 the added patches have the min and max kernels set for use in Big Sur, so no problem adding all those posted by @Pavo 's link if opencore works properly, only the correct patches for the operating system in use are successfully loaded

I did change config slightly. When DisableLinkeditJettison was enabled, ß7 would not boot (as it would into ß6), so I disabled and added keepsysms to boot-arg:

372794264_ScreenShot2020-09-19at10_16_54PM.png.e525c0bb9eea5addcd32a7f7a1add427.png

• Like 1

• fabiosun changed the title to [Discussion] - TRX40 Bare Metal - Vanilla Patches