fabiosun

1 hour ago, iGPU said:

If you turn off picker, OC is on it's own. I've not tried it, but if Misc/Boot/PollAppleHotKeys is enabled (I always leave on; presently, p 36 Docs) and Misc/Security/AllowNvramReset is enabled, you might be able to CMD+P+R before Apple logo appears to get into NVRAM when ShowPicker is No.

I leave ShowPicker on (Yes), and have TimeOut set to 0 (disable) so I can control what happens.

The distorted audio has been discussed: turn off Wifi (or try only using 5G). alcid seems to have little effect, but then I use a USB Audio interface (USB-C port) and not the internal audio.

Ok, i think I'll leave picker on with a 4 second timer.  I do like the system to finish booting if power outage or crash as i remote in from time to time, and i like it to be on if possible atl all times.

I will have more time tonight to work on the audio, I will be using a USB-C (thunderbolt? i cant remember) Focusrite Scarlett interface when I move this TRX40 sytem back to the office so i don't necessarily need onboard audio to work but I like to get everything working just for practice.

@fabiosun I think i had kept alcid and kexts from reading a previous post, but i see now that i should look at all that again.  I will play with it tonight.  are you all saying that catalina has the drivers for trx40 designare onboard Audio because its USB based?

thanks again everyone

• Supervisor

hi @iGPU

I see your AMD Power Gadget temps/watt graphics

I see in idle a very low temps (about 40°) and also 70 watt of power comsumption

In Previous post (stress test you did ) I see about 85° and a TDP about 315W

I would like to know how PBO is set in your BIOS and also say in my case I see a wattage about 360 watt and a temp about 82° on stress test

But I would like to have you idle temps (wattage there is pretty the same)

TY

• Supervisor

@thebwack

TRX40 internal audio is a bridged USB 2.0 audio

From Mojave internal appleUSB audio kext support this (as all usb audio)

In high Sierra you see the device but audio is not working

I think appleALC.kext (I am sure) it is not mandatory to have internal audio (Realtek 2.0 audio), it could be useful for Hdmi/DP audio togheter also WEG to map GPU in gfx0 in ioreg  if you do not use a custom ssdt for it  

• Supervisor

567905453_Screenshot2020-09-15at5_46_36PM.png.9a5943bedd1459192bb89c8a23e34fff.png

663629725_Screenshot2020-09-15at5_47_32PM.png.80e4c4e744106d76913e5a88acdf3263.png

some funny experiment (for me I mean 🙂 ) with Catalina and web drivers 🙂

No acceleration but all my monitors are working  and I have a better experience during my testing

Also in Big Sur is possible to patch Nvidia Web

• Like 1
  • Ok 1

14 minutes ago, fabiosun said:

567905453_Screenshot2020-09-15at5_46_36PM.png.9a5943bedd1459192bb89c8a23e34fff.png

663629725_Screenshot2020-09-15at5_47_32PM.png.80e4c4e744106d76913e5a88acdf3263.png

some funny experiment (for me I mean 🙂 ) with Catalina and web drivers 🙂

No acceleration but all my monitors are working  and I have a better experience during my testing

Also in Big Sur is possible to patch Nvidia Web

It’s such a shame Nvidia and Apple don’t get along. The Ampere series from Nvidia is almost tempting enough to shift to Linux

• +1 1

• Moderators
2 hours ago, fabiosun said:

hi @iGPU

I see your AMD Power Gadget temps/watt graphics

I see in idle a very low temps (about 40°) and also 70 watt of power comsumption

In Previous post (stress test you did ) I see about 85° and a TDP about 315W

I would like to know how PBO is set in your BIOS and also say in my case I see a wattage about 360 watt and a temp about 82° on stress test

But I would like to have you idle temps (wattage there is pretty the same)

TY

PBO is default, I change nothing. I even have fan curves and pump very low to keep noise to a minimum. The only difference in our systems (as I don't know if you did these things) may be that I flushed out the radiators, changing out the stock fluids, and planed the heatsink (as described on the VM thread). I think, esp with high-powered, larger CPUs, all heatsinks should be planed prior to use. I've rarely seen any that are not a bit warped. It took me around an hour to do, but it only needs to be done once.

As for your NVIDIA GPU, that's great. I didn't think any NVIDA GPUs worked after High Sierra. Could you explain to us how you manage to get the kexts to work and where do you source the kexts? Are other, recent NVIDIA GPUs supported too?

• Supervisor

@iGPU

it is an unlocked driver

but it is only useful to have a good experience for web browsing with displays at correct resolution

no acceleration

no cuda support

it is simple to try

download latest web driver then nvidia driver unlocker from download area

in this way you can install on unsupported OSX

then you have to patch web driver plist to match with exact OS X version

you can use nvweb patcher app you can find also in download

11 hours ago, fabiosun said:

@thebwack

TRX40 internal audio is a bridged USB 2.0 audio

From Mojave internal appleUSB audio kext support this (as all usb audio)

In high Sierra you see the device but audio is not working

I think appleALC.kext (I am sure) it is not mandatory to have internal audio (Realtek 2.0 audio), it could be useful for Hdmi/DP audio togheter also WEG to map GPU in gfx0 in ioreg  if you do not use a custom ssdt for it  

I'm going to attach my config.plist.  this was a previous @meina222 EFI that i've simplified for my setup but am curious what y'all think.  I think there might still be things I do not need that @meina222 needed for specific hardware or was playing with.  There is a lot in the Patch section that i don't understand or have seen in my other OpenCore builds but not sure if i need it as it might be TRX40 specific.

So, about audio.  This config file is where I'm at with working onboard RealtekUSB audio and Radeon VII.  If I remove Whatevergreen then two of my Display ports quit working.  I am currently using two 4k monitors and I was using the HDMI port and the display port next to it.  Without WEG I can only use the port furthest from the HDMI port.  Also, after a reboot audio was distorted again with Whatevergreen  removed.  What should be my next combo to try?  Apple ALC is in the OC/kext folder but i'm not calling it so not sure its being used.

You mentioned WIFI and distorted audio.  I don't have WIFI working from the Designare (do I need to disable it in BIOS?)  I was planning to buy the latest FENVI card that is compatible with BigSur.  Will the FENVI cause audio to distort?

edit:  I want to clarify that I am not using the Radeon VII for audio.  I am using the front headphone jack while at home just to test.  

config.plist.zip

Edited by thebwack
Clarification

@thebwack,

You can make some improvements. You can significantly cut down on the number of Patch entries in Kernel thanks to findings by @Pavo, with implications on improvements in graphics and CPU performance.

Also, unless you use multiple monitors, you do not need Whatevergreen in my experience. I found that my DP sound works fine with alcid=11 even without Whatevergreen ( you do need alcid=11 for DP sound, but not for Realtek USB sound). I do use AppleALC, but have not tried without.

Also, in order to have iMessage/iServices enabled you want to designate your ETH as built-in. You can find their PCI paths using Hackintool. I do that in DeviceProperties section. You also need to update the ROM section of your config.plist with the MAC address of en0 for that to work.

Attaching my current config.plist (minus redacted serials) and IOReg for reference and comparison (works very well right now, eliminated last issue I had with microstutters via BIOS).

It also has working example of Thunderbolt SSDT in Slot 4, although Thunderbolt still has some challenges that go beyond the scope of this thread. You need custom firmware in it. You can read about it in the TB section, where @iGPU,  @fabiosun and myself have done lots of research. Note - you need BIOS f4h for that . I can share it if interested as it is not available publicly, but is very stable in my experience and solves Slot 4 bug.

Redacting my previous statement on needing f4h - it is only needed if you use all 16 lanes of your PCI slot 3 which I house the AIC 4x4x4x4 in. This cripples Slot 4, but may not be the case with you as you run a Solarflare there.

‼️Warning: do not use MMIO in my latest config.plist - it is specific to BIOS f4h and is not the same as yours‼️

‼️If you choose to update your TB firmware, you need to edit the ROM section of the TB SSDT as it contains a unique Mac address I generated. You need to do that by dumping your ROM using some tools that were developed by others, don't just copy it, it's supposed to be a reference‼️

Also, if you don't know what an SSDT or kext is for, it may not apply to you - ask before applying, and back up to a bootable USB before you make any changes. The other sections should be safer to experiment with.

p.s.

I have done USB mapping for most ports under MacPro7,1 (using @iGPU's generous help as reference) but I think they should work on iMacPro1,1. It disables the AX200 in my case to remove conflict with native x1 BT card I have.

Attaching the USB mapping and TB SSDT in case you want to dive in those.

config.plist.zip MyMacPro71.zip

SSDT-XHC.aml.zip SSDT-TBOLT3-NVM23.aml.zip

Edited by meina222

32 minutes ago, meina222 said:

@thebwack,

You can make some improvements. You can significantly cut down on the number of Patch entries in Kernel thanks to findings by @Pavo, with implications on improvements in graphics and CPU performance.

Also, unless you use multiple monitors, you do not need Whatevergreen in my experience. I found that my DP sound works fine with alcid=11 even without Whatevergreen ( you do need alcid=11 for DP sound, but not for Realtek USB sound).

Also, in order to have iMessage/iServices enabled you want to designate your ETH as built-in. You can find their PCI paths using Hackintool. I do that in DeviceProperties section. You also need to update the ROM section of your config.plist with the MAC address of en0 for that to work.

Attaching my current config.plist (minus redacted serials) and IOReg for reference and comparison (works very well right now, eliminated last issue I had with microstutters via BIOS).

It also has working example of Thunderbolt SSDT in Slot 4, although Thunderbolt still has some challenges that go beyond the scope of this thread. You need custom firmware in it. You can read about it in the TB section, where @iGPU,  @fabiosun and myself have done lots of research. Note - you need BIOS f4h for that . I can share it if interested as it is not available publicly, but is very stable in my experience and solves Slot 4 bug.

Redacting my previous statement on needing f4h - it is only needed if you use all 16 lanes of your PCI slot 3 which I house the AIC 4x4x4x4 in. This cripples Slot 4, but may not be the case with you as you run a Solarflare there.

‼️Warning: do not use MMIO in my latest config.plist - it is specific to BIOS f4h and is not the same as yours‼️

‼️If you choose to update your TB firmware, you need to edit the ROM section of the TB SSDT as it contains a unique Mac address I generated. You need to do that by dumping your ROM using some tools that were developed by others, don't just copy it, it's supposed to be a reference‼️

Also, if you don't know what an SSDT or kext is for, it may not apply to you - ask before applying, and back up to a bootable USB before you make any changes. The other sections should be safer to experiment with.

p.s.

I have done USB mapping for most ports under MacPro7,1 (using @iGPU's generous help as reference) but I think they should work on iMacPro1,1. It disables the AX200 in my case to remove conflict with native x1 BT card I have.

Attaching the USB mapping and TB SSDT in case you want to dive in those.

config.plist.zip 5.3 kB · 0 downloads MyMacPro71.zip 8.84 MB · 0 downloads

SSDT-XHC.aml.zip 1.25 kB · 0 downloads SSDT-TBOLT3-NVM23.aml.zip 2 kB · 0 downloads

Thanks, I'll take a look at these and compare.  Did your MMIO change in the last couple weeks?  I am on F4k and I ran the debug and my MMIO was identical to your EFI from around Aug30th (at least for the 14 lines used).

I will most likely not mess with Thunderbolt just yet.  That will be a whole other dive later on.  I will follow that thread though and follow the steps.

I'll look through your IOreg and Config and do some comparing.  I'm not having any obvious issues other than the realtek distortion on the front headphone, but it works fine when I have alcid11 and WEG so IDK maybe there's something else that will help that (it also seams to be different on some reboots so i might not have a clue yet)

I actually use 2or3 monitors so I think i'll keep WEG for now 

• Moderators
On 9/15/2020 at 7:22 PM, thebwack said:

I'm going to attach my config.plist.  this was a previous @meina222 EFI that i've simplified for my setup but am curious what y'all think.  I think there might still be things I do not need that @meina222 needed for specific hardware or was playing with.  There is a lot in the Patch section that i don't understand or have seen in my other OpenCore builds but not sure if i need it as it might be TRX40 specific.

So, about audio.  This config file is where I'm at with working onboard RealtekUSB audio and Radeon VII.  If I remove Whatevergreen then two of my Display ports quit working.  I am currently using two 4k monitors and I was using the HDMI port and the display port next to it.  Without WEG I can only use the port furthest from the HDMI port.  Also, after a reboot audio was distorted again with Whatevergreen  removed.  What should be my next combo to try?  Apple ALC is in the OC/kext folder but i'm not calling it so not sure its being used.

You mentioned WIFI and distorted audio.  I don't have WIFI working from the Designare (do I need to disable it in BIOS?)  I was planning to buy the latest FENVI card that is compatible with BigSur.  Will the FENVI cause audio to distort?

config.plist.zip 5.84 kB · 1 download

1) You've not read the thread carefully or you'd not have downloaded a config with all of the original patches. We talked about this  several days ago and most of us are running only 13 patches.

EDIT:

See this post for better Patches.

2) your config file shows that you're using an older version of OC. You should be updated to v061 for best function. When I started using OC in early 2019, I spent days studying all the posts at the Insanelymac thread, reading the docs and looking at the sample.config plist. Now, I'd instead recommend going to the Dortania guide as the best resource to learn OC (here) and how to keep it current. Then on each update, study the Docs section, specifically, the Changelog.md and Differences.pdf files.

3) your config file is a little short on kexts. AppleALC and ethernet kext are usually a good idea on most Hackintoshes. (Do you understand that your boot-arg of "alcid=11" doesn't work if you don't load the AppleALC kext?) In the Kernel/Quirks section should disable the DummyPowerManagement; it's not needed for TRX40 (discussed before). There is also a new addition for v061, specific for Big Sur (discussed before, here).

4) The WEG/RadeonVII DP issues you describe are known to happen when WEG is disabled with Radeon VIIs (and I think 5700XT too) On the Intel side this was found to be necessary (starting with Catalina) to prevent crashes (that is, +WEG with Radeon VII led to crash), so it was rec'd to disable WEG but knowing that you'd lose some ports. ( I've discussed this several times on this and the VM thread.) On Big Sur, I run Radeon VIIs and now keep WEG enabled. My only boot-arg is "-wegbeta".

5) If you don't want the on-board wifi, I uploaded some time ago an SSDT to disable. You need a proper SSDT to re-inject SB.S0D2.D2A0.BYUP.BYD8/XHC (address 0x03) and leave out PRT5 which supplies power to the BT/Wifi device on the Desginare mobo.

6) In your MmioWhitelist, I'd recommend adding Comments, so you know at some later date what the heck you did and how to trouble shoot (as shown below). Commenting in code is always a good idea. I've already seen this section before and you copied someone else's no-comment section instead of deriving your own (a how-to was posted here).

Yours:

205847473_ScreenShot2020-09-15at8_13_03PM.png.ffe795babe8c1de0e2933de296655e4b.png

Mine:

79037310_ScreenShot2020-09-15at8_13_35PM.png.28a55eb268da317173781e6e34c64aea.png

7) The FENVI has recently on other forums been found to have various problems. The YOUBO card (here), now seems to be the preferred choice.

TO ALL:

Reading the thread carefully, at least the last 2 or 3 weeks of posts, will avoid us all having to re-address old topics for each new person who comes to work on this build.

But part of the problem isn't the new-comer naively downloading files. Instead, it is the fault of posters who don't self-edit their old posts and leave tantalizing files available to new-comers. I would encourage all of us who've upload files to removed those which are no longer valid, or amend some explanation. (I did this with the Mmiowhitelist Instruction, removing an earlier upload and explaining how an easier method was developed and provided links back and forth from the old to new post.)

I think if an EFI is faulty or has been superseded, it should be removed. Unless posters self-edit, old EFI's and other uploads will haunt us all, as new-comers download these old uploads, have problems, then request fixes to issues that were previously solved.

Edited by iGPU
added patches for Mojave-Catalina-BS
  • Like 1
  • +1 2

@thebwack, yes my MMIO changed with BIOS f4h. If you switched from f4c to f4k, and didn't re-derive MMIO, do it. If you already did and it didn't change don't use mine - I had 9 entries change. When you turn off DummyPowerManagement per iGPU's advice, be careful about stability - in my case, and I believe this is specific to 3990x and/or some BIOS quirk, I had invariable kernel crashes 1-2 min after a successful boot, so DummyPowerManagement *is required* for me.

@IGPU, good point on old EFI's. I'll go over my old posts and purge if I see any EFI's.

• Supervisor

I agree almost to EFi proposal..but..I also say if people who have offered their EFI in past thread message delete it without adding a new one or a minimal explanation .all discussion ( thread tree related) could loose its meaning

I suggest, if possible to add a description or to add a new EFI

Often is not so clear that EFI is also related to a proper opencore version..and no skilled or with a less minimal attention people could mix stuff..ie My MMIO with a different BIOS version or different config.plist, Igpu proper ssd for his rig and so on..it happened 

I also understand that many people come here and they would like to have their trx40 up and running as fast as possible..

but as advice..a minimal effort user have to put in this task

Every rig is different and some problems could happen also on identical one

• Supervisor

said what above .... 🙂

here is my full EFI To be filled in with the data of your platform in the section relating to SMBIOS

Be careful this EFI is based on the official opencore debug version 061 with relative kexts and drivers

Attention again,

this EFI allows me to start all OSXs available as of today 16 September 2020 on my PC

Big Sur 10.11 (beta 6)

Catalina 10.15.6 (19G2021)

Mojave 10.14.6 (latest security fix)

High Sierra 10.13.6 (latest security fix)

(see the signature for exact specs of it)

I use a MMIO set that comes from a Bios version 1.60 with the 4G option enabled.

In addition to this, I use quirks that may not be useful for you, I don't use the AppleALC kext, as it is useless for using any USB audio.

I do not use any bootarg alcid as it is useless if not combined with the aforementioned kext

I don't use ssdt at the moment and the ACPI ones you see are disabled

By the way
MMIO used combination should be evaluate better (imho) because the combination of their use can lead to undesirable effects in some circumstances ... not foreseeable by anyone who does not have the same setup as you

to complete my description

Slot 1

Nvidia Titan Xp

Slot 3

AQuantia ethernet 10G card

Slot 4

Gigabyte Titan Ridge Thunderbolt card (bios flashed)

1 Samsung 960 pro NVME 1 Tb (Windows)

1 Sabrent Rockets NVME 1 Tb (macOS High Sierra)

Samsung 840 EVO (other OSX I like to test, now Catalina)

2 ST6000 in raid (software raid used in windows)

2 ST10000 (ex fat formatted, shared from all OS)

1 Pioneer BDR 207M

1 Samsung 840 pro (Proxmox) connected to ASMedia USB

1 27'' Philips brilliance display (3d stereoscopic Passive FULL HD) HDMI connected

1 43'' LG UHD (3840x2160x60Hz) DP connected

NO wifi, NO BT

EFI.zip

fabio’s iMac Pro.zip

Edited by fabiosun
Adding my hardware, added also my IOREG
  • Like 5

• Moderators
24 minutes ago, fabiosun said:

said what above .... 🙂

here is my full EFI To be filled in with the data of your platform in the section relating to SMBIOS

Be careful this EFI is based on the official opencore debug version 061 with relative kexts and drivers

Attention again,

this EFI allows me to start all OSXs available as of today 16 September 2020 on my PC

Big Sur 10.11 (beta 6)

Catalina 10.15.6 (19G2021)

Mojave 10.14.6 (latest security fix)

High Sierra 10.13.6 (latest security fix)

(see the signature for exact specs of it)

I use a MMIO set that comes from a Bios version 1.60 with the 4G option enabled.

In addition to this, I use quirks that may not be useful for you, I don't use the AppleALC kext, as it is useless for using any USB audio.

I do not use any bootarg alcid as it is useless if not combined with the aforementioned kext

I don't use ssdt at the moment and the ACPI ones you see are disabled

By the way
MMIO used combination should be evaluate better (imho) because the combination of their use can lead to undesirable effects in some circumstances ... not foreseeable by anyone who does not have the same setup as you

What you've written is important and there are 2 simple ways to go forward to keep the thread tidy, but first some prefacing.

Problems will always arise as threads progress: due to new hardware, new macOS updates, changes in OC, and differences between individual builds. These problems are what threads help to resolve; a community effort to help each other.

And while it's one thing to help someone who is confused or stuck with a particular problem. It's an entirely different issue if someone has no clue about OC or TRX40 issues and who does not want to expend any effort in learning how to get their system working (lazy), or, is trouble shooting a lousy EFI. The former, can be ignored. It's the latter problem that we should minimize (especially since it's obvious that people do not carefully read threads). So how can we limit problem EFIs?

One way to limit lousy EFIs would be for all uploads to be cleared with fabiosun. Snippets could be uploaded, but not whole EFI folders. Only fabiosun would upload EFIs. This would allow greater consistency, but be time-consuming for fabiosun.

The other approach would be to continue as is, but request that the individual who wants to upload an EFI have greater self-control. In other words, only upload EFIs if you:  a) know what you're doing (truly understand the ins and outs of OpenCore), and b) are willing to support questions regarding it entirely on your own (since you claim to know what you are doing).

Further, only upload EFI folders with full explanations (as fabiosun did above), describing which macOS it can boot (have you truly tested your EFI with various macOS versions or just thrown something together with no testing), what hardware it is meant for (a specific mobo or all mobos?), what are its limitations (e.g, 'no MmioWhitelist is included'), and what is unique or helpful about your EFI that  warrants its posting (e.g., 'this EFI fixes such and such a problem'). Someone who uploads an EFI must have sufficient perspective to view their EFI in relation to other TRX40 systems (especially important for new-comers will also download it).

If such guidelines cannot be followed, then perhaps fabiosun or a moderator can contact the poster to ask them to remove the EFI, or if necessary, the moderator can delete the post.

Another suggestion would be to have the latest, or recommended EFIs, posted in a first post of this thread. (This would requires work on fabiosun's part to keep it updated). There may be even more than one EFI, such as one for installation, another for a special mobo, or perhaps one for each mobo commonly discussed in the thread. fabiosun could recruit contributions. There could be a sub-section in this first post of SSDTs, special kext files, and so forth.

If there is no consistency, the thread will continually require trouble-shooting problematic EFIs, which to me is a waste of time.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'll go though my previous posts and remove old EFIs and edit them noting that I have deleted them. I am thinking about possibly replacing the EFIs with a link to a dropbox folder that just contains my latest one. My motherboard has twin 10G network cards built in so is different from all of the others on here and requires a different kext so I'd include the whole folder rather than just a config.plist.

This removes the old EFI's and anyone clicking the link would just get the latest and greatest - probably not greatest out there 😀 but what works for me and my Gigabyte Xtreme.

At the moment I think there are just 2 or 3 of us on here with the Xtreme.

@fabiosun, if you don't like that idea just let me know and I'll just delete the old EFIs instead of replacing with a download link.

• Like 1

In my opinion we shouldn't be putting EFIs or snippets in the thread itself but use a GitHub repo so everyone can collaborate with forks and merges or if there is major differences, have configs to specific systems in the repo. This would eliminate anything in the past to present issue.

The config structure is the same for all systems and change on OC updates, which can be maintained on the repo itself.

Edited by Pavo
  • Like 3

• Supervisor

I think this user’s brainstorm is very good to have a better discussion

i like the idea to have in OP all verified EFI 

but we have to find a verified method to have proper EFI

i think is it possible

i like also github idea, i would like however this or similar thread here stays alive

😉

• Like 2

• Supervisor

If you like we can try....

send me via PM a proper Efi and a minimal description of your System 

i will put in OP

so:

efi

main bios config and version

hardware

osx tested

and so on

for now i think we could have:

Msi trx40 pro 10g

Msi trx40 Creator

ASRock trx40 Creator

Gigabyte trx40 Designare ex

Gigabyte trx40 Aoros Master

Asus trx40 Extreme II alpha

let me know

in green..added to OP (EFI and Ioreg)

Edited by fabiosun
in green..added to OP (EFI and Ioreg)
  • Like 4
  • +1 1

• Supervisor

https://www.macos86.it/topic/3307-trx40-bare-metal-vanilla-patches-yes-it-worksbutproxmox-is-better/

I would do for now in this way

We can find together all the data we think will be useful and also a better layout of the data provided
Furthermore, in order not to leave everything to my free will, each user could create a message in the thread with the data of his configuration including EFI and Ioreg, from this message I will take the contents to be put in OP following the layout that we will define together. .
How about?
If there was a problem with, for example, a type of motherboard, an ad hoc thread could be created to deepen the matter.

Can it work like this?

• Like 1
  • Ok 1

• fabiosun changed the title to [Discussion] - TRX40 Bare Metal - Vanilla Patches