fabiosun

21 minutes ago, meina222 said:

@Pavo - I have (and older) MacBook Pro late 2012 running Catalina so I could generate a dump on that. If it's preferable to use iMacPro I could probably get access to do that.

How do you force dumps? In particular, how can I force it to dump on sleep and shutdown. Is this link helpful in figuring that out?

https://craftware.xyz/tips/Debug-kernel-panic.html

https://applelife.ru/threads/dampy-originalnyx-makov.2943712/ 

All the real Mac dumps you want.

The reality is kicking in. Theres SOOOOO much work to do to get TRX40 Ryzen working properly under Bare Metal. Managed to get firewire working and stripped out all the unnecessary DSDTs, sound seemed good in Logic but still fairly high latency settings.

Davinci Studio 16.3beta2: after installing the dylib patch it worked but was very dodgy with music latency like Logic above and GFX/Metal seemed problematic. Maybe an earlier version of Davinci is more friendly with the dylib. 

Adobe of course needs patching, although its not really a patch... its a remover so still many problems. Lets hope their beta programme gets more AMD compiler friendly.

Final Cut Pro X seemed fine and I played back a few video edits and it didn't seem too troubled. To be expected being Apple - they probably aren't using Intel_fast_memset.

Anyways talking of compatibility read a good thread here: https://www.agner.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6&sid=cbbbf54a370b6d3c129b1d4fade595f7 he seems to know whats happening more than I do!

From what I can see, we need a really good NVRAM emulator of our own!

AMD need to get Intel to open up more or take them to court for writing specific cpu boundaries of their own making it a nightmare for every new cpu coming along for AMD... strangely all Intel's old cpu works with their fresher versions of their compiler, whereas AMD... Enough said.

Edited by Driftwood

• Supervisor

What I will write below is a bit OffTopic.

I remind everyone, in particular those who read us but do not actively participate in the forum, that it is very important to respect some rules dictated mostly by common sense:

1) give due credit to people who share their experiences for free

2) not to steal, clone users' github without their direct permission

The spirit that I would like to create and that in part I think is already in place is to share with all the people with a minimum of salt in the pumpkin (pumpkin is an acronym for head in Italian :)) our experiences on this new and fascinating possibilities we have with the TRX40

I hope you understand.

I also take advantage of this OffTopic to remind you that any EFI posted is used at your own risk

... just a simple advice is valid ...

do all your necessary checks before using the EFIs provided (kindly and free of charge) by the most 'willing 🙂 users

• Like 3
  • +1 1

• Supervisor
6 hours ago, tsongz said:

@fabiosun came across something interesting regarding Nvidia Drivers within Big Sur, while digging through kexts to fix BT. Not sure if you've seen these yet. Attaching Zip.

The interesting part about it is in the kext file. It seems like with adjustments to the NVArch device match, you should be able to load the GTX drivers, albeit not as optimized, or loading a custom driver it seems like.

Reveal hidden contents

<key>IOKitPersonalities</key>
<dict>
<key>GeForce</key>
<dict>
<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
<string>com.apple.GeForce</string>
<key>IOAccelDisplayPipeCapabilities</key>
<dict>
<key>DisplayPipeSupported</key>
<true/>
<key>TransactionsSupported</key>
<true/>
</dict>
<key>IOClass</key>
<string>nvAccelerator</string>
<key>IODVDBundleName</key>
<string>GeForceVADriver</string>
<key>IOGLBundleName</key>
<string>GeForceGLDriver</string>
<key>IOMatchCategory</key>
<string>IOAccelerator</string>
<key>IOProbeScore</key>
<integer>100</integer>
<key>IOPropertyMatch</key>
<array>
<dict>
<key>NVArch</key>
<string>GF100</string>
<key>NVDAType</key>
<string>Official</string>
<key>nubType</key>
<string>NVDAgl</string>
<key>unmatched</key>
<string>yes</string>
</dict>
<dict>
<key>NVArch</key>
<string>GK100</string>
<key>NVDAType</key>
<string>Official</string>
<key>nubType</key>
<string>NVDAgl</string>
<key>unmatched</key>
<string>yes</string>
</dict>
</array>
<key>IOProviderClass</key>
<string>IOService</string>
<key>IOSourceVersion</key>
<string>16.0.12</string>
<key>IOVABundleName</key>
<string>GeForceVADriver</string>
<key>MetalPluginClassName</key>
<string>NVMTLDevice</string>
<key>MetalPluginName</key>
<string>GeForceMTLDriver</string>
<key>MetalStatisticsName</key>
<string>GeForceStatistics</string>
</dict>
</dict>

NVGPU.zip 12.91 MB · 0 downloads

thanks for this, but also in the past it was possible to install on OSX 10.14 , 10.15 and also in big Sur Nvidia driver with different level of difficulty to do this.. my problem is in High Sierra and bare metal I have had success to install fine ( but I can't reproduce a working method)

For now I have no success and I have to boot without acceleration in bare metal

No others of you is using Nvidia..so I am alone..and maybe I am doing some errors I can't debug 🙂

• Like 1

• Supervisor

No I have my idea about ssdt

only new open core and MMIO playing with these two

I have posted all my logs and you can try with your MMIO address

About SSDT I would like to explain better

I have no skill to build any SSDT, so I can't do fo my self

I do not like to add stuff under PCI tab and some SSDT functionality is possible to have using device properties in OC

• Like 1

• Supervisor

opencore-2020-08-26-142151.txt.zip

this is my 061 log 🙂

1 minute ago, meina222 said:

Thanks. So this is High Sierra - how about Catalina?

not tested for now, but I think it will be the same..

before I have had the same problem with both OSX

now I have to re clone my VM Catalina..

before I would like to solve my real problem in OSX

• Like 1

Thank you. Yes, I want to retry to whole thing - need to find some time, busy week for me. I will rebuild the EFI from scratch and redo MMIO and might try to guess an initial pattern similar to your file.

Edited by meina222
  • Cross Finger 1

On 8/25/2020 at 7:37 PM, meina222 said:

@Ploddles - I ended up in a similar situation (don't know how) where I could no longer boot in any EFI. I haven't retried yet after refreshing BIOS - I want to build it from scratch this time around but not sure it's worth it if shutdown and restart not working. I don't see any benefit except more ports and maybe the TB card.

Clearing and Refreshing the CMOS/BIOS did not solve anything for me. What I found was that I could boot into the Recovery Mode with any EFI. So I booted that and then opened Terminal from the Utilities menu. I then "touched" the /System/Library/Extensions folder and rebooted. This forces a rebuild of the prelinkedkernal on next boot and boom, back into Catalina.

For anyone who doesn't know, the command to do this is:-

touch -c "/Volumes/Macintosh HD/System/Library/Extensions"

Just replace 'Macintosh HD' with your own hard disk name. You only need the quotes "" if there is a space in your hard disk name. So, for example, if your disk is called Catalina then the command can be written as touch -c /Volumes/Catalina/System/Library/Extensions

• Moderators

BIG SUR INSTALLATION EFI

I'm posting here an EFI that not only boots the TRX40 bare metal into Catalina or Big Sur, but also allows a Big Sur Install from either a USB Installer, or, having the installer app within the Applications folder. I tested both methods of Big Sur install with destination drives that are internal and external USB. 

[ Debug Version added at bottom ]

There are a few important details that I'll point out below. In a subsequent post, I'll show how removing Snapshots can allow proper read/write of the disk (and this may allow you fabiosun to get your kexts loaded, but I cannot check, so I don't know for certain). That post was divided into 2 parts here and here

Besides booting Catalina and Big Sur, this EFI also seems to have a consistent, properly functioning Shutdown in Big Sur (but not so regularly in Catalina). Shutdown also works from Big Sur Recovery. However, while Shutdown works from the Apple menu, it does not seem to work when using the log-in screen Shutdown button, but gives the usual panic re-boot.

I would recommend not changing anything in this EFI (except perhaps for very select items like Ethernet discussed towards the bottom). This EFI uses OC v061 commit from 25 Aug. This commit allow proper booting of Big Sur Recovery without resorting to ScanPolicy 0 or the need to Enable/Yes JumpstartHotPlug (ScanPolicy discussed more below). There are no re-name SSDTs nor any fancy stuff: this is basic, functional EFI.

First off, there are 3 config.plist files as shown below. The active one is simply a duplicate of config-basic-genPI-BSinstall.plist as a backup. The other config file, config-basic-genPI, is the same but without boot args (-v-no_compat_check, and amfi_get_out_of_my_way=1), Those boot arguments will be discussed in the subsequent post, but they're really only useful during a Big Sur install and are otherwise not necessary. Notice that the Slide boot argument is removed. It seems not necessary and avoids conflict with other mobo builds.

Config files:

1310001685_configfiles.png.137f1b5726f0bb5f62598a6ca1d686aa.png

Boot Arguments:

boot-args.png.a4b8ac4faf48c64beaf034d45ee4f05b.png

The other thing to point out is the csr-active-config value of 77080000. This value was gleaned from user "fusion71au" on the InsanelyMac forum and disables both csrutil and csrutil authenticated-root. Disabling these two allows for working with Snapshot files (that will be discussed in the subsequent). This 77080000 value can be used for both Catalina and Big Sur. Some may need to remove npci=0x2000; it is required for me as I leave "Above 4G decoding" disabled in BIOS.

Moving onto ScanPolicy shown below. With this latest v061 commit, a proper ScanPolicy (rather than 0) can be used that limits filling the boot menu with useless EFI folders. This scan policy allows for the following drives to appear in the OC boot menu: APFS, HFS, SATA, SASEX, NVME, USB and PCI devices (the latter includes virtual disks, so this is a good ScanPolicy for a Proxmox VM config file). The Auxillary items (like Reset NVRAM) are accessed by pressing the spacebar on the keyboard while viewing the OC boot menu. (Another item that can be activated while viewing the OC boot menu is turning on verbose mode by pressing <Cmd><v>; p 33 of included Docs.)

An important new OC setting is changing SecureBootModel to Disabled. The Default value, recommended by the OC Docs, will prevent many things from working, such as the Aquantia kext patch. Don't change this unless you have a good reason.

ScanPolicy.png.a8dbdd44d33cc70c258808251f0eb630.png

The next issue to discuss is MmioWhitelist. There are references on the Dortania OC Guide for AMD (which has been discussed earlier on this thread) that are incorrect for the TRX40 build. I've tested these values and they don't work; but I've included for illustrative purposes. The MmioWhilelist array that is active (shown below) is actually empty. The other inactive one contains the MmioWhiltelist for my mobo (MSI Creator, which I posted earlier in this thread). I  do not know, nor can I test, whether this will work for any other mobo. I would encourage deriving your own for your mobo.

MmioWhitelist.png.59f0ecbd6a6d9f977c36742f3094b2f8.png

Finally, as far as ACPI, kexts and drivers, only a minimum are included. As mentioned earlier, the only other section you might adjust is if you need a different Ethernet driver from what is included in this EFI:  SmallTree82576 and Aquantia AQC107. The AQC107 is activated by a kext patch which is Enabled/Yes (and was discussed by Pavo on the InsanelyMac forum). These two cover a majority of our builds and allow at least one Ethernet port to work. BT/Wifi kexts are included and presently Enabled/Yes; these will work with swapped cards as well as PCIe AICs. WEG is Enabled/Yes but partially disabled thru the -wegbeta boot argument. If WEG is left fully Enabled, Big Sur will not boot in bare metal. Lilu, VirtualSMC and AppleALC are Enabled/Yes as is AppleMCEReporterDisabler.

Since this EFI is more inclusive and robust, I will delete the EFI folder presented on page 1 of  this thread and replace it with a link to this post.

As usual, you need to supply SN and SystemUUID values in the PlatformInfo/Generic section before using.

Ethernet.png.874c405ff87f27e8e1447da8b0e6c403.png

EFI-v061-8e2755f-BareMetal-USB-installer-Public.zip

Debug version (this is same as above, but does not contain the Install boot-args). The config file is different, adjusted to give more reports, so do not swap between release and debug versions.

EFI-v061-8e2755f-BareMetal-USB-installer-Public-Debug.zip

Edited by iGPU
added Debug version; npci=0x2000 comment.
  • Like 3

• Supervisor

@Pavo SSDT is loaded and variable stay there also after a reboot

same behaviour of emulated NVRAM

For now not useful for my problem (Nvidia web driver not loaded properly)

@iGPUwaiting for your idea to try...

I wonder way during my test..without doing nothing of special I have it loading well

then after a problem with default secure boot parameter I have had to clear my cmos and from there no joy

fabio’s iMac Pro Pavo SSDT.zip

attached my IOREG with Pavo's SSDT

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, fabiosun said:

@Pavo SSDT is loaded and variable stay there also after a reboot

same behaviour of emulated NVRAM

For now not useful for my problem (Nvidia web driver not loaded properly)

@iGPUwaiting for your idea to try...

I wonder way during my test..without doing nothing of special I have it loading well

then after a problem with default secure boot parameter I have had to clear my cmos and from there no joy

fabio’s iMac Pro Pavo SSDT.zip 959.7 kB · 3 downloads

attached my IOREG with Pavo's SSDT

I've noticed that I sometimes must do a "Reset NVRAM" when changing from Big Sur to Mojave.

(I've not yet had to re-flash BIOS on this MSI mobo.)

Yous SSDT looks okay. Did you use the minimal SSDTs from above EFI; it should have injected to SBRG and MCHC. The SSDT-NVRAM might not work until you get MmioWhitelist working.

Is there an issue I'm missing?

@iGPU Good work. I used your config and EFI changing only UUID stuff as usual. Result. This seems a better candidate of EFI than my previous one. For some reasons audio is much improved with choppiness so far. Davinci works better and is pretty good with a lot of Studio edition noise reduction which would barely play before on the old .60 OC EFI - which was a bastardised version of Pavo's & Fabiosun.

Havent got round to analysing MMIO yet but will do shortly.

Shutdown didnt work for me on my first attempt... Ill give it another go.

Screen Shot 2020-08-26 at 23.11.23.png

MMIO Asrock Creator DEBUG from OpenCore xxxxx.txt

Spoiler

06:235 00:003 OCABC: MMIO devirt start
06:239 00:003 OCABC: MMIO devirt 0xB2100000 (0x81 pages, 0x8000000000000001) skip 0
06:242 00:003 OCABC: MMIO devirt 0xB3180000 (0x81 pages, 0x8000000000000001) skip 0
06:246 00:003 OCABC: MMIO devirt 0xE2100000 (0x181 pages, 0x8000000000000001) skip 0
06:249 00:003 OCABC: MMIO devirt 0xFA180000 (0x81 pages, 0x8000000000000001) skip 0
06:253 00:003 OCABC: MMIO devirt 0xFA300000 (0x100 pages, 0x8000000000000001) skip 0
06:256 00:003 OCABC: MMIO devirt 0xFEA00000 (0x100 pages, 0x8000000000000001) skip 0
06:260 00:003 OCABC: MMIO devirt 0xFEC00000 (0x1 pages, 0x8000000000000001) skip 0
06:263 00:003 OCABC: MMIO devirt 0xFEC10000 (0x1 pages, 0x8000000000000001) skip 0
06:266 00:003 OCABC: MMIO devirt 0xFED00000 (0x1 pages, 0x8000000000000001) skip 0
06:270 00:003 OCABC: MMIO devirt 0xFED40000 (0x5 pages, 0x8000000000000001) skip 0
06:273 00:003 OCABC: MMIO devirt 0xFED80000 (0x10 pages, 0x8000000000000001) skip 0
06:277 00:003 OCABC: MMIO devirt 0xFEDC2000 (0xE pages, 0x8000000000000001) skip 0
06:280 00:003 OCABC: MMIO devirt 0xFEDD4000 (0x2 pages, 0x8000000000000001) skip 0
06:284 00:003 OCABC: MMIO devirt 0xFEE00000 (0x100 pages, 0x8000000000000001) skip 0
06:287 00:003 OCABC: MMIO devirt 0xFF000000 (0x1000 pages, 0x8000000000000001) skip 0
06:291 00:003 OCABC: MMIO devirt 0x10000000000 (0x10400 pages, 0x8000000000000001) skip 0
06:294 00:003 OCABC: MMIO devirt 0x18030000000 (0x10400 pages, 0x8000000000000001) skip 0
06:298 00:003 OCABC: MMIO devirt 0x18060000000 (0x10400 pages, 0x8000000000000001) skip 0
06:301 00:003 OCABC: MMIO devirt 0x20090000000 (0x10400 pages, 0x8000000000000001) skip 0
06:304 00:003 OCABC: MMIO devirt end, saved 1087664 KB

Driftwood's Asrock TRX40 Creator Hex to Decimal PDF:

MMIO ASROCK TRX40 CREATOR - Driftwood.pdf.zip

Edited by Driftwood
  • Like 1

@iGPU thank you so much for your work. I have a question (I am a total noob here, so might be silly). The EFI you posted deactivated the restart and shut down functionality. Do we need to include a MIMO to get that (I am not even sure what a MIMO is 😄 )

• fabiosun changed the title to [Discussion] - TRX40 Bare Metal - Vanilla Patches