fabiosun

Benchtests are one thing but real working apps is where it matters and if theyre not talking to 'GenuineIntel' written kernel theres going to be a lot of problems I guess. Gonna give it a look but not hoping out for much.

Adobe full licence works great under Proxmox as does Davinci. So to have to mega patch everything is going to be a royal pain.

Graphics performance is down to about 60 odd percent Im told too :-( 

Im going to give it a try out on a spare USB SSD Cat install and replace the EFI with the bare metal EFI.

If anyone wants me to try out anything near vanilla without changes (as I know a lot of you have changed soooo many variables testing)  then now's your chance to tell me.

Well done on all the pioneering fellas. Ive been away making movies!

Edited by Driftwood

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, Driftwood said:

Graphics performance is down to about 60 odd percent Im told too 😞

Not completely true.

I'm finding virtually the same, with ever-so-slightly greater values in bare metal. The only tests where the graphic values are less is Geekbench. Since LuxMark values are the same in VM or bare metal (and LuxMark is one of the few tests that can use 2 GPUs), I think the test is problematic, not bare metal. (I've summarized on GitHub, section 9). And Geekbench GPU-Metal test is basically the same in bare metal or VM; the problem is with OpenCL.

• Supervisor

I can confirm performances are pretty the same in bare metal except for some OpenCl or GL benchmarks or games

in some games performances are very worst

to be honest I see a bit of lags in HighSierra (bare metal) but I can't say if it is due to ssd disk I use (500 mb /s) against my OSX on Nvme in proxmox (2500 Mb/s)

patching the apps is pretty simple..maybe in davinci benchmark a couple of frame/fps of difference..also here could be ssd disk to do the difference

PRO:

Chance to use all PCIE card without fighting with bridges 

Only a system to configure

It is good to have another way to test..disk are so cheaper

all the world does in this way 🙂

CONS:

Patches dependent

GPU performances in some case

initial working Phase, so no many infos available!

@Driftwood

I use pretty same config 

I use only DevirtualzeMMIO on in bare metal and all set of AMD Vanilla Patches

On 8/16/2020 at 5:57 PM, iGPU said:

I'll lay out the steps I went through to derive the MmioWhitelist. But first I want to say that aside from the slide value of 128, I'd tried various OC combinations to obtain native NVRAM including using the new SSDT-NVRAM. None worked. Only when combining the Quirks reported above and MmioWhitelist and using the SSDT-TRX40-NVRAM did native NVRAM work on bare metal.

Steps for deriving MmioWhitelist (make certain that you have an alternative bootable EFI, as you'll see below):

A. MmioWhitelist Determination

1. Run OC debug version (≥ v059; even if you can't fully boot into macOS, you'll have sufficient data written out on the next boot with a non-debug, working version).

a. debug OC settings (spoiler):

Hide contents

521638677_ScreenShot2020-08-16at8_48_36AM.png.f64d7c177c7518551009e670d58a5d15.png

I'm not having much luck with this.

It halts on a critical error and the saved file does not have the MMIO info in it. I've tried with 0.5.9, 0.6.0 and 0.6.1 debug versions. Tried with and without the SSDTs and with and without the kexts.

Any suggestions as to what I am doing wrong?

Thanks.

IMG_1259.jpg

opencore-2020-08-22-153125.txt.zip

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Ploddles said:

I'm not having much luck with this.

It halts on a critical error and the saved file does not have the MMIO info in it. I've tried with 0.5.9, 0.6.0 and 0.6.1 debug versions. Tried with and without the SSDTs and with and without the kexts.

Any suggestions as to what I am doing wrong?

Thanks.

IMG_1259.jpg

opencore-2020-08-22-153125.txt.zip 3.75 kB · 0 downloads

The schema errors appear when your using a mis-configured config.plist file for the particular version of OC. (In other words, you've probably kept the same config.plist file yet swapped out different OpenCore.efi files that now have different entries.)

Another common OC mistake is to update parts of the OC folder and forget to also update the BOOT folder. All parts of OC's EFI folder need to be of same commit (well, not ACPI or Kexts folders).

I don't include HiiDatabase.efi in GitHub site, so declaring this is config.plist and not having in Driver's folder will give a critical halt. Most of the driver's are not necessary, and I've excluded them from the Driver's folder on purpose.

231425635_ScreenShot2020-08-22at10_12_46AM.png.56ccc1e27bb98efba1ef18c09d414a68.png

So upload your config.plist file (without SN info; you can replace that portion later; I gave instructions in Section 6 on GitHub site) and I'll try to fix it, but I'll adjust for the latest commit on get GitHub site that I just updated a few minutes ago. If you again swap out OC parts, the config.plist file will break again.

Are you booting into BS or Catalina?

VIrtualSMC seems more an issue for BS than Catalina. WEG is not necessary for either.  I don't think any of the SSDT are important for a boot. The renames are important for Hackintool USB, but booting is okay without, but I like to include "2-SSDT-PLUG" and "3-SSDT-TRX40-EC-USBX-MCHC-SBRG" as a minimum.

Edited by iGPU
add HiiDatabase.efi info

• Supervisor

imho, to start to understand stuff if user is not a skilled one...should be better to start without any SSDT..and then add proper one for function useful for each motherboard..

rename or filling PCI tab is never been a task for me..but I could understand people like it

Often is more simple to use device properties in open core boot loader to add device or also some functionality as internal drive (orange disk icon)

i have to disagree about WEG use ( I do not use it because web driver helps to activate well all my GPU output ports)

in many case it could be useful to map in a proper way GPU output port, sometimes without it you have a no working display port , and mapping it in other way could be difficult

• Like 1

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, fabiosun said:

i have to disagree about WEG use ( I do not use it because web driver helps to activate well all my GPU output ports)

in many case it could be useful to map in a proper way GPU output port, sometimes without it you have a no working display port , and mapping it in other way could be difficult

WEG problems appear with Radeon VII and NAVI AMD GPUs (I've only used AMD GPUs, so no nothing about NVIDA issues). On Intel, if using WEG and one of those AMD GPUs, the computer would freeze within 10 min after booting with the mouse becoming jerky just before the freeze. The only way around it was to disable WEG. When this was done, on some GPUs, one of the HDMI or Display ports would become inactive (I can't remember which now).

And when trying to boot bare metal into BS on TRX40, it was impossible with WEG enabled. I later found out, through trial and error,  that if "-wegbeta" were added to boot arg, then WEG could be left enabled and successfully boot into BS.

• Supervisor

in not trx40 system (x99 or x299 I have had) often is useful to have GFX0 in Ioreg instead display0,or to have audio dp /hdmi working, or to patch apple device policy ids you use Mac Pro 6.1 smbios

I agree could create also some problem

in my case it helps also with Nvidia and Catalina and Big Sur to have dual display working (only with patched Nvidia web driver) without it only cdmi port is working well and maybe a DP

OT on AMD discord people have said to me we are using an old I211 kext..1.06 against the available one 1.3 on product site

1 hour ago, iGPU said:

The schema errors appear when your using a mis-configured config.plist file for the particular version of OC. (In other words, you've probably kept the same config.plist file yet swapped out different OpenCore.efi files that now have different entries.)

Another common OC mistake is to update parts of the OC folder and forget to also update the BOOT folder. All parts of OC's EFI folder need to be of same commit (well, not ACPI or Kexts folders).

I don't include HiiDatabase.efi in GitHub site, so declaring this is config.plist and not having in Driver's folder will give a critical halt. Most of the driver's are not necessary, and I've excluded them from the Driver's folder on purpose.

Attached is the config file I used with 0.6.1 Debug version built on 12 August. Pretty much my current config with bits disabled. Various bits still need to be added/removed etc, I'm slowly going through it to clean it up for my MB.

Thanks for having a look.

config.plist.zip

• Supervisor

I have updated to latest oc debug

latest drivers and kext (061)

I have a reboot after OS X choice

ok

i put back my working EFI

now everytime i choose OS X it boots in recovery mode

i obviously select OS X to boot and not recovery mode

luckily proxmox OS X starts fine

i have tried t clean nvram but always the same

10 minutes ago, fabiosun said:

I have updated to latest oc debug

latest drivers and kext (061)

I have a reboot after OS X choice

ok

i put back my working EFI

now everytime i choose OS X it boots in recovery mode

i obviously select OS X to boot and not recovery mode

luckily proxmox OS X starts fine

i have tried t clean nvram but always the same

I had this a year or so ago on a Z390 Designare. Clearing the BIOS and redoing the settings was the only way I recovered from it without having to reinstall. A few times I have had to clear NVRAM 3 times in a row without trying to boot an OS inbetween to get it fully back to normal.

• Like 1

@rressl

As requested attached is my latest EFI. You will need to enter your own details for serial number etc in config.plist - where I have put "Your Info Here".

It is best to just write in the thread rather than PM, others may be able to help with your questions/comments.

This is by no means complete and is just a work in progress but hopefully it will get you going.

@Jaidy there are a few updates from the last one here, including a couple of Gigabyte Xtreme specific SSDTs, thanks to @iGPU for these.

EFI.zip

38 minutes ago, Ploddles said:

@rressl

As requested attached is my latest EFI. You will need to enter your own details for serial number etc in config.plist - where I have put "Your Info Here".

It is best to just write in the thread rather than PM, others may be able to help with your questions/comments.

This is by no means complete and is just a work in progress but hopefully it will get you going.

@Jaidy there are a few updates from the last one here, including a couple of Gigabyte Xtreme specific SSDTs, thanks to @iGPU for these.

EFI.zip 17.51 MB · 2 downloads

@Ploddles

Thanks for uploading your configuration.

Unfortunately it doesn't work for me and when I boot from the USB stick I only get the selection "CleanNvram.efi" and "ResetSystem.efi".

What could be the problem? (CSM and Above 4G decoding is disabled)

3 minutes ago, rressl said:

@Ploddles

Thanks for uploading your configuration.

Unfortunately it doesn't work for me and when I boot from the USB stick I only get the selection "CleanNvram.efi" and "ResetSystem.efi".

What could be the problem? (CSM and Above 4G decoding is disabled)

It sounds like you haven't created a Catalina USB install stick. If you have, how did you create it?

2 minutes ago, Ploddles said:

It sounds like you haven't created a Catalina USB install stick. If you have, how did you create it?

I created it like this:

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Catalina.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/MyVolume

and then mount it with MountEFI.command

5 minutes ago, rressl said:

I created it like this:

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Catalina.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/MyVolume

and then mount it with MountEFI.command

That should work fine if your USB stick was called MyVolume. After it ran did its name change to Install Catalina or something similar? Did it complete without any errors? There is an App you can use as well which will halt on any errors. Try THIS

16 minutes ago, Ploddles said:

That should work fine if your USB stick was called MyVolume. After it ran did its name change to Install Catalina or something similar? Did it complete without any errors? There is an App you can use as well which will halt on any errors. Try THIS

The same issue 😞

What is really strange, if I copy the EFI folder from iGPU (zip "EFI-v061-08-09-20-BareMetal-public.zip" ) the installer is found and also able too boot into the setup. (But the installation does not work then.)

IMG_0520.jpg

Edited by rressl

15 minutes ago, rressl said:

The same issue 😞

What is really strange, if I copy the EFI folder from iGPU (zip "EFI-v061-08-09-20-BareMetal-public.zip" ) the installer is found and also able too boot into the setup. (But the installation does not work then.)

Try this.

EFI.zip

• fabiosun changed the title to [Discussion] - TRX40 Bare Metal - Vanilla Patches