fabiosun

I was aware of some of these - the question was why is emulated NVRAM not the same as native (presumably because emulated can only be written on logout/shutdown and be read on login but not in between?). Either way I didn't even get a chance to test native due to the instability. I was messing with trying to set slides, but the weird thing is that this should have not affected the rescue USB - something in the internal/persisted state of MacOS on disk made it unstable. Clearing NVRAM didn't help either.

5. SSDTs: removing un-used USB (specifically D0B8 and D1B8; attaching FixShutdown to all USB sites; checking RHUB devices

6. USBPorts to limit/inject properties

7. Removing unnecessary devices from USB ports

I was actually in the midst of trying these too! Removing XHC1 and XHC2 and making sure both XHC and XHCI were affected by the fixshutdown aml. Didn't get a chance to test due to sudden instability.

Unfortunately I haven't figured a way to be efficient while working on these due to relative inexperience.

• Moderators
On 8/19/2020 at 5:39 AM, meina222 said:

I was aware of some of these - the question was why is emulated NVRAM not the same as native (presumably because emulated can only be written on logout/shutdown and be read on login but not in between?). Either way I didn't even get a chance to test native due to the instability. I was messing with trying to set slides, but the weird thing is that this should have not affected the rescue USB - something in the internal/persisted state of MacOS on disk made it unstable. Clearing NVRAM didn't help either.

5. SSDTs: removing un-used USB (specifically D0B8 and D1B8; attaching FixShutdown to all USB sites; checking RHUB devices

6. USBPorts to limit/inject properties

7. Removing unnecessary devices from USB ports

I was actually in the midst of trying these too! Removing XHC1 and XHC2 and making sure both XHC and XHCI were affected by the fixshutdown aml. Didn't get a chance to test due to sudden instability.

Unfortunately I haven't figured a way to be efficient while working on these due to relative inexperience.

Attached are 2 SSDT for cancelling what I've renamed to XHC1 and XHC2. They don't help, but I'm posting if you want to learn how to cancel devices. If you were to use, you want to remove the re-naming sections for XHC1 and XHC2 from the other SSDT file.

As for stability, I've left the computer running all day and night and it seems fine. I'll recheck today and if okay, provide a list of settings, but what I'd updated in the uploaded config.plist file that will boot into Catalina or BS has what seems to be stable settings; but I'll re-visit the settings later.

As for BIOS, I've left: ErP Ready, disabled; Above 4G decoding, disabled; and both IOMMU and SVM, enabled.

EDIT:

Above is obsolete: a proper MmioWhitelist is necessary for Shutdown (and being aware of attached USB devices which can force a re-boot). 

Edited by iGPU
  • Like 1

• Moderators
On 8/18/2020 at 8:01 AM, Ploddles said:

Yeah, finally got bare metal Catalina installed. 😀

Turns out that it didn’t like having 2 graphics cards in the machine during install - with just the one it flew along nicely. After the install I put the other one back in just to check but it didn’t miss a heart beat. The 2nd card was an Nvidia 1050, which I know can’t be used in Catalina but was installed for Proxmox when I was trying to get that to work and passing through the RX580.

i have the usual restart issue that everyone else seems to have,  but have now seen the other SSTDs that @iGPU has shared and also a new config file that works with Catalina and Big Sur. I will have a play with those later in the week. I did try an install of BS (with my Catalina config file) but that just hangs after the first reboot.

If anybody wants my IOReg file to look at to compare between different motherboards just let me know, I have the Gigabyte Xtreme.

There are a lot of files floating about in this thread and it can be hard to keep an eye on what is what and remember to update as things are discovered and files are modified. Would it be a good idea to have somewhere, maybe a sticky post or section in the downloads section, where new/updated files can be upload/downloaded to save everybody jumping  around looking for things and trying to remember what each one if for, eg common SSDTs for all boards and then those specific to MSI, Gigabyte etc etc? Just an idea but could be a pain to administer depending on how it is done.

Anyway, thanks for your help guys, glad to be finally up and running. Now to try the Adobe fixes later this evening.

I have not had issues with running 2 simultaneous GPUs (mine are the same in slots 1 & 3), but the only install I've done is from within Proxmox. I have updated Catalina in bare metal and it went better than an update from within Proxmox.

As for the SSDTs, I'll add a branch to my GitHub and keep updates there. I can make links back to this thread to avoid writing/repeating on GitHub. Give me a few days to get organized.

And as to your IORE, I'd like to see it. So far, much is the same since the TRX40 chip dictates what's in IORE than what the mobo manufacturer's do.

• Like 1
  • +1 1

On 8/10/2020 at 1:58 PM, iGPU said:

This might work. You'll need to fill-in SN parts. I also left kexts activated for BT/WiFi; turn-off it you don't want them. This is using compilation from yesterday for OC v061. Patches were from fabiosun's post above.

Depending up whether  "Above 4G Encoding" is enabled or disabled, "npci=0x2000" may need to be entered into the boot arg section of OpenCore. If you get a boot failure, try adding "npci=0x2000" and see if that helps. It is not present in the attached EFI folder.

EFI-v061-08-09-20-BareMetal-public.zip 6.84 MB · 23 downloads

Its this the lates version of your OC 

Hi all,

I am thrilled to know that macOS now boots bare metal on AMD TR3 systems. Is the procedure to install roughly making a Catalina (or BS USB), putting the EFI folder in the EFI partition of the USB, installing MacOS, and then putting the EFI folder in the EFI partition on the installation disk?

I have followed this thread, and there doesn’t seem to be any special BIOS settings. Is there anything I have missed?

20 minutes ago, Jaidy said:

Hi all,

I am thrilled to know that macOS now boots bare metal on AMD TR3 systems. Is the procedure to install roughly making a Catalina (or BS USB), putting the EFI folder in the EFI partition of the USB, installing MacOS, and then putting the EFI folder in the EFI partition on the installation disk?

I have followed this thread, and there doesn’t seem to be any special BIOS settings. Is there anything I have missed?

I have exactly the same Motherboard, Processor and Graphics Card as you.

If you can wait until tomorrow I can upload my EFI for you, you'll just need to add your Serial No, UUID etc.

As it stands it is fine for installing and running Catalina but will not allow installation of Big Sur. No doubt it can be optimised for Catalina/Big Sur but it would give you a head start on getting things done.

In the BIOS you need to disable CSM, Virtualisation and Above 4G Decoding. I have XMP set to Profile 1. That could also be optimised but at least allows things to work for now. If I remember I will save the BIOS settings to a file you could load and attach it with the EFI.

• Ok 1
  • +1 1

CSM and 4G decoding need to be off for me. Virtualization can be ON according to @iGPU

XMP 1 profile is not necessarily a good thing. On the 3990X XMP1 performs worse on Cinebench compared to manual 3200mhz with and IF 1600mhz by about 4% on my rig. but Geekbench multi-core is higher in XMP1. I think CB is a better real world benchmark - the extra IF can produce a lot of heat in Threadrippers even with water cooling.

• Supervisor

when we will have more stable bare metal system we could create a sort of database...(config/bios I mean)

in my case CSM is off and all settings are the same I use in Proxmox

Bare metal for my standard is not stable

During benchmark some time it reboots

In proxmox I never had a reboot...

But happy I can use also this with a proper GPU acceleration

• Like 1
  • +1 1

@Jaidy I've just checked the USB on my key ring and I have a copy of my EFI on that - I think it is the latest but if not I believe it does work on our MBs.

Let me know if you try it and it doesn't but here it is anyway. As I said, it still needs optimising and some kexts etc removing.

EFI.zip

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ploddles said:

I have exactly the same Motherboard, Processor and Graphics Card as you.

If you can wait until tomorrow I can upload my EFI for you, you'll just need to add your Serial No, UUID etc.

As it stands it is fine for installing and running Catalina but will not allow installation of Big Sur. No doubt it can be optimised for Catalina/Big Sur but it would give you a head start on getting things done.

In the BIOS you need to disable CSM, Virtualisation and Above 4G Decoding. I have XMP set to Profile 1. That could also be optimised but at least allows things to work for now. If I remember I will save the BIOS settings to a file you could load and attach it with the EFI.

You my friend are the best!! 😄

• +1 1

1 hour ago, Ploddles said:

@Jaidy I've just checked the USB on my key ring and I have a copy of my EFI on that - I think it is the latest but if not I believe it does work on our MBs.

Let me know if you try it and it doesn't but here it is anyway. As I said, it still needs optimising and some kexts etc removing.

EFI.zip 6.93 MB · 3 downloads

It works!! I am typing this from a macOS Catalina installation.

A few things though:

1. Strangely enough, my keyboard shortcuts seem to be messed up. Is there a way to reset the keyboard to Apple's own (I have magic keyboard with numeric pad)?

2. My trackpad seems to be not working. I have Magic Trackpad 2. Does it work for you (or anyone else)?

3. Does the onboard sound work for you? It is not detecting it on my machine and the only option is via the GPU

Overall, I am so pleased to be back on macOS. Missing the trackpad gestures, but hopefully they'd be restored by your help soon :) 

Thanks a ton!

• fabiosun changed the title to [Discussion] - TRX40 Bare Metal - Vanilla Patches