fabiosun

I managed to get my MMIO whitelist populated, and sure enough, it’s allowed NVRAM operations like setting startup disk/last 2 minutes of the installer to succeed.

However, iMessage activation failed. I can grab my EFI a bit later, but are there any special considerations with TRX40?

I used a fresh SMBIOS and a fresh install, so there should be no contamination whatsoever. I have only one wired Ethernet exposed, correctly en0, no WiFi or anything. It’s even an Acquantia 107, and using a Vega56 with iMacPro1,1 SMBIOS!! 

@iosengineer - en0 alone is not enough - it has to be the default built-in network adapter, and the MAC address should be correctly encoded in the config.plist. Check the first with hackintool and verify the latter by examining the config plist and checking that the encoded string is correct

Edited by meina222

• Supervisor

in this period I used Clover Bootloader a lot,

my aim was to understand which and how many Kernel patches were necessary and sufficient to start with Big Sur (and Catalina) correctly

attached here 🙂

they are far fewer than we have always used for the two operating systems in question

Let me know if they are working well also for you

PS

They are in Opencore format

16 patches.plist.zip

• Like 2

2 hours ago, fabiosun said:

in this period I used Clover Bootloader a lot,

my aim was to understand which and how many Kernel patches were necessary and sufficient to start with Big Sur (and Catalina) correctly

attached here 🙂

they are far fewer than we have always used for the two operating systems in question

Let me know if they are working well also for you

PS

They are in Opencore format

16 patches.plist.zip 2.13 kB · 4 downloads

@fabiosun

I tried, normal boot. I'm on Catalina 10.15.7 (7.15 p.m.).

I have the principle that it degreases the EFI

Do you need the debug file?

• Supervisor
25 minutes ago, Arrakis said:

I have the principle that it degreases the EFI

Sorry I do not understand well here

25 minutes ago, Arrakis said:

Do you need the debug file?

No I do not need debug output if it is working well also for you 🙂

Thank you for testing

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, fabiosun said:

Sorry I do not understand well here

I meant that the principle of removing inactive orders from our platform can only be beneficial for EFI.

PS: I use a translator so sometimes this is a literal translation, in the future I will be careful not to use colorful language.😙

20 hours ago, meina222 said:

@iosengineer - en0 alone is not enough - it has to be the default built-in network adapter, and the MAC address should be correctly encoded in the config.plist. Check the first with hackintool and verify the latter by examining the config plist and checking that the encoded string is correct

Thanks @meina222! I am now up and running, including good performance and my custom SAS driver .kexts working :). Main remaining hurdle, after solving the Lightroom issue, is that shutdown results in the machine restarting just after it cuts main ATX power.

Thank you @Ploddles (a vote of confidence!!) for providing these rather intense patches for the Lightroom crash! While they didn't initially run on Mojave, installing zsh through Homebrew did allow them to run cleanly. They do indeed work with Camera Raw 13.0 and LR 10 (the latest versions of both).

I wonder if there's any interest in this community in a collaboratively-edited guide, on a wiki or through submissions to the Dortania guide? The wealth of knowledge here is pretty amazing.

Edited by iosengineer

• Supervisor
12 hours ago, iosengineer said:

Thanks @meina222! I am now up and running, including good performance and my custom SAS driver .kexts working :). Main remaining hurdle, after solving the Lightroom issue, is that shutdown results in the machine restarting just after it cuts main ATX power.

Thank you @Ploddles (a vote of confidence!!) for providing these rather intense patches for the Lightroom crash! While they didn't initially run on Mojave, installing zsh through Homebrew did allow them to run cleanly. They do indeed work with Camera Raw 13.0 and LR 10 (the latest versions of both).

I wonder if there's any interest in this community in a collaboratively-edited guide, on a wiki or through submissions to the Dortania guide? The wealth of knowledge here is pretty amazing.

Hi, even if you don't quote me directly in this message, I'm glad to reply

I start from the part relating to Dortania.

Personally I would prefer that everything develop here with us .. on macos86.it

This is for several reasons:

1) it all started from here, initially on our discord channel in private only for the staff, then through a heavy debug together with the developers of opencore, who, despite not supporting the AMD platform, for a period have to understand what the problem was . Eventually they concluded that the problem we had was related to "borked" patches

Spoiler

3653496_ScreenShot2020-11-23at12_21_25PM.thumb.png.ff0387556ceceb8db51f8c1cca134d45.png242152410_ScreenShot2020-11-23at12_30_46PM.thumb.png.855138a08a2a31ad737163daedf3303a.png169059889_ScreenShot2020-11-23at12_30_57PM.png.c81f50da29d0324b26f27b775bf8e7b8.png

2) I therefore started this journey to understand how to have my system working, regardless of the "borked" said by the developers of opencore. Thus was born the article on ProxMox which initially aroused different interest even in AMD users who did not have the same problem that we all had but who, to quote a user in the hackintosh community ( @Pavo), also for x570 users yes they obtained equal performance, and in some cases better by virtualizing the system with ProxMox. I don't forget the help @tomnic gave me in this period to overcome the points, for me obscure of Linux 🙂

Spoiler

From that moment, a brilliant and reactive community began to form here that slowly, even under the radar, helped the developers to understand better, indirectly, what was the problem for our systems with our logs (maybe also @Apple see us? 🙂).. and in May 2020 it was finally possible start installing vanilla.
So, to answer your question about Dortania, I would prefer we continue to support this site that welcomed us, and through its admin ( @Gengik84 )it has also supported us with different scripts and apps that often helped me to move forward

I also proposed to everyone to create a database with the EFI of each working system, but at the moment only @Ploddles has accepted this idea

I have also created a thread with useful links, where I would like to add everything that has been found useful here ... see for example the story of MMIOs put out in fair copy by @iGPU, after we understand (thanks also to our work) that with that we could solve many other negative situations for our systems (NVram, shutdown, reboot)

Spoiler

That's why I'd like to see you still continue here ... by the way .. on Dortania They talk about us? I do not think so.
You know that in the beginning, it was me and @DSM2 (another user who happens to occasionally on our forum and who had problems with his CPU initially, but had begun to understand why our problems)

Apologizing to the other users I have not mentioned, I would also like to thank long-time users such as @Driftwood and @meina222 who have actively contributed to the success of our mission with their tests and indications.

Many users, actually many more than those who then actively participated in our BrainStorming, followed us, even silently ... and passed on to others what we have understood and developed here 😉

Thanks to you too

The work is now done, with a little patience you can make everything go as for other less problematic AMD systems

The last big challenge I think has remained to have a fully functional thunderbolt.

But, our problems with it are similar to those of other AMD platform.

That said, any ideas to improve us are useful and I thank all of you for that. I also thank a famous youtubers (Hi hackintosh friends) who stimulated me to produce a free and public guide with her serial videos (such as soapopera) without any info about how to 🙂.

Of course with many limits probably ..
but, I repeat myself FREE and FREE

a warm thanks to all of us ...

PS

many thanks also to our forum admins and staff 

Their great support is not evaluable

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4
  • +1 2

12 hours ago, Driftwood said:

Thats an incredible score.

I thought in the past, there was a mention here that toggling UpdateDataHub from its default was not recommended because it was messing up with the hardware clock(s). I don't have any knowledge on the topic, but did anything really change?

I'd try compiling a large project using clang, and time with UpdateDataHub on and off, to see if there is any real difference.

• +1 1

I also proposed to everyone to create a database with the EFI of each working system, but at the moment only @Ploddles has accepted this idea

@fabiosun - all we need is a github repo, where people can upload their configs. EFIs contain a lot of binaries, so changing those will bloat the repo size quickly though, so I'd recommend 1 reference EFI + guide doc how to derive MMIO and individual cofnig.plists and pointers to BIOS binaries where relevant (as in my case since I use a "unique" BIOS not compatible with official designare TRX40 rev 1.0 BIOS). I (or anyone really) can host one and share with other github users.

Interesting that AMD are about to release an undervolting tool for Ryzen 5000 series. Apparently, improving performance by 10%. New AGESA... wondering if we will enjoy such new ideas in a BIOS update?

Due out in early December and known as Curve Optimization, the new tool is designed to enable lower CPU voltages. That in turns means less heat and lower power consumption and, in some circumstances, higher clock speeds.

The tool will require a BIOS revision for 400 and 500-series AMD motherboard chipsets including the AGESA 1180 update

https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/amd-undervolting-tool-boosts-ryzen-5000/

Also Asrock Creator owners are still on AMD AGESA 1.0.0.3 patch C and  AMD CastlePeakPI-SP3r3-1.0.0.4

Are any of you other mobo owners beyond that?

Edited by Driftwood

1 hour ago, Driftwood said:

Also Asrock Creator owners are still on AMD AGESA 1.0.0.3 patch C and  AMD CastlePeakPI-SP3r3-1.0.0.4

Are any of you other mobo owners beyond that?

AGESA 1.0.0.4 on the Gigabyte Aorus Xtreme for the last few months.

Is there someone who uses Julia? On my MacBook Pro, the Julia libraries install and test successfully, while on the hackintosh, there are a lotta problems. Even if it’s not Julia, it is similar a case for Python too - but those were forced to compile with openBLAS (previously they assumed MKL). I suspect it’s the same problem here. I Googled to try forcing Julia and any libraries to use openBLAS but there still are problems..

• fabiosun changed the title to [Discussion] - TRX40 Bare Metal - Vanilla Patches