fabiosun

Take your time. I should really learn this myself - I'll try to read up on it.

The one thing that bugs me is that I can't disable the AX200 so far. The trick that worked with the VM doesn't seem to cut it - delete the bluetooth plist and sudo nvram bluetoothHostControllerSwitchBehavior=never worked on Proxmox. I wonder if the AX200 can be disabled in the SSDT.

Edited by meina222

• Moderators
On 8/11/2020 at 11:25 PM, meina222 said:

Take your time. I should really learn this myself - I'll try to read up on it.

The one thing that bugs me is that I can't disable the AX200 so far. The trick that worked with the VM doesn't seem to cut it - delete the bluetooth plist and sudo nvram bluetoothHostControllerSwitchBehavior=never worked on Proxmox. I wonder if the AX200 can be disabled in the SSDT.

I should be able to make an SSDT to cancel the AX200.

But I don't know what I'm seeing in your IORegistryExplorer (IORE): is there only the AX200, or do you also have a BT/Wifi AIC?

If you also have a BT AIC, please remove it (and again add the TB AIC) and re-run IORE and upload that, as I don't want to cancel the BT/Wifi AIC.

UPDATE:

My guess is you do have the BT AIC. Ok to leave it. I think I finished the SSDT (no TB yet; I need updated IORE; this could influence some other SSDTs). This includes a preliminary AX200 SSDT. Let me know how it works.

I've included several SSDTs. The titles suggest their actions. Pick and choose as you wish.

Edited by iGPU
  • Like 1

@iGPU sorry for the delay - working atm. Yes I have the native PCI x1 Broadcom WiFi/BT BCM94360CD (this one if it matters - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B082X8MBMD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

Thank you! I will try the files tonight. Do I replace any of the default SSDT's with these?

I will post hackintool screenshots as I am not 100% yet how to know if all is working. 

And as far as TB/Titan Ridge - I need to flash that 1st. But I am dealing with a problem with Gigabyte 1st - I want to make this card work in Slot 4, but I am unable to boot due to D4 error which I believe is a PCI resource issue. Gigabyte is being totally unhelpful by trying to RMA my board whereas I believe the issue will not be resolved by RMA - they need to fix it in BIOS.

Edited by meina222

• Moderators
On 8/12/2020 at 10:26 AM, meina222 said:

@iGPU sorry for the delay - working atm. Yes I have the native PCI x1 Broadcom WiFi/BT BCM94360CD (this one if it matters - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B082X8MBMD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

Thank you! I will try the files tonight. Do I replace any of the default SSDT's with these?

I will post hackintool screenshots as I am not 100% yet how to know if all is working. 

And as far as TB/Titan Ridge - I need to flash that 1st. But I am dealing with a problem with Gigabyte 1st - I want to make this card work in Slot 4, but I am unable to boot due to D4 error which I believe is a PCI resource issue. Gigabyte is being totally unhelpful by trying to RMA my board whereas I believe the issue will not be resolved by RMA - they need to fix it in BIOS.

When you try the SSDT files, I would create an EFI on a USB card, placing your bootable EFI folder on it. Then add the new SSDT's and boot from it. That way, if there is a problem, you can more easily isolate and have an alternative way of getting into Catalina bare metal.

fabiosun,

please try this TB-SSDT to see if it helps USB functionality.

Edited by iGPU
  • Like 1

• Moderators
14 minutes ago, meina222 said:

@iGPU - yes I have the USB. I guess will create 2nd one w backup. As far as copying the SSDT - do I replace SSDT-TRX40-EC-USBX.aml from your original EFI with the one you attached?

Just keep what you are using. Later, you can examine inside to see if any changes.

59 minutes ago, fabiosun said:

it seems not to add any thing in XHC3:

fabio’s iMac Pro 12-08.zip 938.27 kB · 0 downloads

I'm not so concerned about appearance as function. Does USB-C work?

(And remember, USB-2 does not work on TB port.)

Edited by iGPU

I guess I am not as experienced with SSDT so will ask for a bit of clarification . Your folder has

SSDT-PLUG, SSDT-DTGP, SSDT-SRBG, SSDT-TRX40-EC-USBX 

abd then 4 flavors of Designare specific ones.

Do I include all initially, or try one by one?

Thank you for the patience with my questions.

Edited by meina222

• Moderators
3 hours ago, meina222 said:

I guess I am not as experienced with SSDT so will ask for a bit of clarification . Your folder has

SSDT-PLUG, SSDT-DTGP, SSDT-SRBG, SSDT-TRX40-EC-USBX 

abd then 4 flavors of Designare specific ones.

Do I include all initially, or try one by one?

Thank you for the patience with my questions.

The Designare flagged SSDTs are specific to your mobo (and adaptable to others). The ones you listed, are generic and should work on all TRX40 mobos. The Designare ones mostly rename devices in IORE and inject n properties (we can later modify and I'll show you after to get them working), except for the AX200 one, which cancels the device, making it disappear from IORE. If you want to test the waters, start with the ETHO and AX200 ones, then add the XHCx and the ANSI ones later.

• Moderators

fabiosun,

Maybe try these steps for inactivating protection and getting your NVIDIA drivers to work on Catalina (?) :

Spoiler

Step 1: Open Startup Security Utility.

Enter into macOS Recovery for Catalina. When you see the macOS utility window, choose Utilities > Startup Security Utility from the menu bar. When you’re asked to authenticate, click Enter macOS Password, then choose an administrator account and enter its password.

Step 2: Select “Allow booting from external media“.

If you want to select an external startup disk before restarting your Mac, quit Startup Security Utility, then choose Apple menu > Startup Disk.

image.png.fd016ff6b6e42aafee48feb083011544.png

Ok so I drop the generic SSDT-TRX40-EC-USBX and start with the ETH0-ETH1-I211 and noAX200 ones in its place, and keep the DTGP, PLUG and SBRG?

So set to try:

A)

SSDT-PLUG,

SSDT-DTGP,

SSDT-SRBG,

SSDT-TRX40-Designare-NoAX200.aml

SSDT-TRX40-Designare-ETH0-ETH1-I211.aml

vs  only:

B)

Is A) or B) correct? 

I also I noticed shutdown doesn't work - machine reboots. Would that be fixed by the SSDTs?

Edited by meina222

My board is the Asrock TRX40 Creator. I used EFI-v061-08-09-20-BareMetal-public that was posted on this website and set ncpi=0x2000. I also set CSM off and 4G enabled.  IT WORKS !!!!! I can boot like a real Mac. Most everything that I care about works. I have sound running with a Sabrent USB dongle. I have not tried directly yet. Even iMessage works. Things that don't work for me are sleep, bluetooth, WiFi.  My hack seems to be running quieter also, I think. I have activity monitor running and it appears to be loafing. At idle, only 3 cores have any bars. All of my USB ports appear to be working, unlike with Proxmox.  I am absolutely impressed. Thanks guys!!!!!!

Screen Shot 2020-08-12 at 8.26.20 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-08-12 at 8.15.59 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-08-12 at 8.21.40 PM.png

• Like 2

@Ploddles - in my BIOS I also happened to have CSM off and above 4G enabled just like @Rocket88 which I did not specifically set for MacOS but happened to work with ncpi=0x2000.

@Rocket88 - great news that @fabiosun @iGPU 's goodness in sharing this forum with us is spreading.

That 3970x - if you have a cooler like https://noctua.at/en/nh-u14s-tr4-sp3 (I use it on the 3990x) it should easily up your single core to 1100-1200 (with a mild memory clock at 3200) no boost overclock as these CPUs are sensitive to temperatures. That Cinebench looks great. What video card do you use?

Edited by meina222

@iGPU - I will try to learn this SSDT business by looking at the disassembled files you sent me and trying to associate them with my device list. I hope to learn something in the process but I will start with just some pattern matching exercise to figure what they do.

This isn't going to work without me watching some tutorials and reading up. If you could explain how the this decompiled SSDT disables my AX200 based on IORegistry I would appreciate it.

Seems I also need to be careful updating my BIOS with these?

Q on that part:

I opened the NoAX200 aml and I see this

DefinitionBlock ("", "SSDT", 2, "RLJ", "AX200off", 0x00000000)
{
    External (_SB_.PCI0, DeviceObj)
    External (_SB_.PCI0.D0B8, DeviceObj)

Scope (_SB.PCI0)
    {
        Name (_ADR, 0x00800001)  // _ADR: Address
        Device (CNVM)
        {
            Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)  // _DSM: Device-Specific Method
            {
                If (!Arg2)
                {
                    Return (Buffer (One)
                    {
                         0x03                                             // .
                    })
                }

Return (Package (0x06)
                {
                    "class-code", 
                    Buffer (0x04)
                    {
                         0xFF, 0xFF, 0xFF, 0xFF                           // ....
                    }, 

"vendor-id", 
                    Buffer (0x04)
                    {
                         0xFF, 0xFF, 0x00, 0x00                           // ....
                    }, 

"device-id", 
                    Buffer (0x04)
                    {
                    }
                })
            }
        }
    }
}

But When I look at the the Devices showed  in the SYSTEM DSDT in MaciASL I cannot find device named D0B8.

Should I be concerned that this may not work? How did you figure this is the AX200?

Edited by meina222

• Moderators
58 minutes ago, meina222 said:

@iGPU - I will try to learn this SSDT business by looking at the disassembled files you sent me and trying to associate them with my device list. I hope to learn something in the process but I will start with just some pattern matching exercise to figure what they do.

Q on that part:

I opened the NoAX200 aml and I see this

DefinitionBlock ("", "SSDT", 2, "RLJ", "AX200off", 0x00000000)
{
    External (_SB_.PCI0, DeviceObj)
    External (_SB_.PCI0.D0B8, DeviceObj)

Scope (_SB.PCI0)
    {
        Name (_ADR, 0x00800001)  // _ADR: Address
        Device (CNVM)
        {
            Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)  // _DSM: Device-Specific Method
            {
                If (!Arg2)
                {
                    Return (Buffer (One)
                    {
                         0x03                                             // .
                    })
                }

Return (Package (0x06)
                {
                    "class-code", 
                    Buffer (0x04)
                    {
                         0xFF, 0xFF, 0xFF, 0xFF                           // ....
                    }, 

"vendor-id", 
                    Buffer (0x04)
                    {
                    }, 

"device-id", 
                    Buffer (0x04)
                    {
                    }
                })
            }
        }
    }
}

But When I look at the the Devices showed  in the SYSTEM DSDT in MaciASL I cannot find device named D0B8.

Should I be concerned that this may not work?

[corrected device ID - I see that it exists in IORegistry explorer] ....

How did you figure this is the AX200?

Bottom line: did it work?

Educated guess: that device is a USB device and the AX200 needs power and I saw following:

1796414070_ScreenShot2020-08-12at8_25_22PM.png.63e2705fd4c7c6daf93daa0aca61d9fc.png

I haven't tried - I decided to try and understand this instead of bugging you if it doesn't work(I guess I am bugging you now but hope to learn a bit to do this myself). This Microsoft thing is the USB dongle for a wireless keyboard - it doesn't use the AX200.

Edited by meina222

• Moderators
2 hours ago, meina222 said:

Ok so I drop the generic SSDT-TRX40-EC-USBX and start with the ETH0-ETH1-I211 and noAX200 ones in its place, and keep the DTGP, PLUG and SBRG?

So set to try:

A)

SSDT-PLUG,

SSDT-DTGP,

SSDT-SRBG,

vs  only:

B)

Is A) or B) correct? 

I also I noticed shutdown doesn't work - machine reboots. Would that be fixed by the SSDTs?

A

And I'm seeing same thing with shutdown. I saw before started working on SSDTs. What I've uploaded will have no effect on this problem.

It happens with some Hackintoshes. Some settings needs adjustment. Once I figure out (or someone else), I'll post solution.

Just now, meina222 said:

I haven't tried - I decided to try and understand this instead of bugging you if it doesn't work. Thus Microsoft thing is the USB dongle for a wireless keyboard - it doesn't use the AX200.

1 minute ago, meina222 said:

I haven't tried - I decided to try and understand this instead of bugging you if it doesn't work. Thus Microsoft thing is the USB dongle for a wireless keyboard - it doesn't use the AX200.

Oh, so does that disappear when unplugged?  If so, then don't use that SSDT; otherwise it will cancel that connector. (But not a big deal; once any SSDT is disabled and computer rebooted, all goes back to stock.)

• Like 1

I believe this the AX200.

I notice it is under the same root XHC0 node with the bluetooth device I want enabled (2 of them in this picture as I also plugged a BCM dongle BT to test) - the other 2 BTs are Apple compatible and should not require a driver. But this guy in the middle is the AX200.

I wish I could share better resolution - I paste from Apple cmd + shift + 3 tool and comes in blurry.

Edit - I hope to able to delete this port using this tutorial tomorrow

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/the-new-beginners-guide-to-usb-port-configuration.286553/

image.png.957b500482948849b1b24c2c7feef594.png

Edited by meina222

@meina222 - not sure if you have the option to, but in the Asrock Creator, there's an option in the BIOS to turn off the Bluetooth, which will disable the AX200. It doesn't get picked up in Proxmox either when I set that.

Would someone be able to share with me what the cpu features that are detected by the OS are?

Basically the outputs of

"sysctl -a | grep machdep.cpu"

• Supervisor
5 hours ago, iGPU said:

fabiosun,

Maybe try these steps for inactivating protection and getting your NVIDIA drivers to work on Catalina (?) :

Reveal hidden contents

Step 1: Open Startup Security Utility.

Enter into macOS Recovery for Catalina. When you see the macOS utility window, choose Utilities > Startup Security Utility from the menu bar. When you’re asked to authenticate, click Enter macOS Password, then choose an administrator account and enter its password.

Step 2: Select “Allow booting from external media“.

If you want to select an external startup disk before restarting your Mac, quit Startup Security Utility, then choose Apple menu > Startup Disk.

image.png.fd016ff6b6e42aafee48feb083011544.png

thank you,  I have to test in HighSierra, in Catalina web driver working is a workaround to have two display I have on

• Like 1

machdep.cpu.max_basic: 16

machdep.cpu.max_ext: 2147483680

machdep.cpu.vendor: AuthenticAMD

machdep.cpu.brand_string: AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3990X 64-Core Processor 

machdep.cpu.family: 23

machdep.cpu.model: 1

machdep.cpu.extmodel: 3

machdep.cpu.extfamily: 8

machdep.cpu.stepping: 0

machdep.cpu.feature_bits: 9140110466969500671

machdep.cpu.leaf7_feature_bits: 563909033 4194308

machdep.cpu.extfeature_bits: 8485406217078045695

machdep.cpu.signature: 8589072

machdep.cpu.brand: 0

machdep.cpu.features: FPU VME DE PSE TSC MSR PAE MCE CX8 APIC SEP MTRR PGE MCA CMOV PAT PSE36 CLFSH MMX FXSR SSE SSE2 HTT SSE3 PCLMULQDQ MON SSSE3 FMA CX16 SSE4.1 SSE4.2 MOVBE POPCNT AES XSAVE OSXSAVE AVX1.0 RDRAND F16C

machdep.cpu.leaf7_features: RDWRFSGS BMI1 AVX2 SMEP BMI2 PQM PQE RDSEED ADX SMAP CLFSOPT CLWB SHA UMIP RDPID

machdep.cpu.extfeatures: SYSCALL XD 1GBPAGE EM64T LAHF LZCNT PREFETCHW RDTSCP TSCI

machdep.cpu.logical_per_package: 64

machdep.cpu.cores_per_package: 64

machdep.cpu.microcode_version: 186

machdep.cpu.processor_flag: 1

machdep.cpu.mwait.linesize_min: 64

machdep.cpu.mwait.linesize_max: 64

machdep.cpu.mwait.extensions: 3

machdep.cpu.mwait.sub_Cstates: 17

machdep.cpu.thermal.sensor: 0

machdep.cpu.thermal.dynamic_acceleration: 0

machdep.cpu.thermal.invariant_APIC_timer: 1

machdep.cpu.thermal.thresholds: 0

machdep.cpu.thermal.ACNT_MCNT: 1

machdep.cpu.thermal.core_power_limits: 0

machdep.cpu.thermal.fine_grain_clock_mod: 0

machdep.cpu.thermal.package_thermal_intr: 0

machdep.cpu.thermal.hardware_feedback: 0

machdep.cpu.thermal.energy_policy: 0

machdep.cpu.xsave.extended_state: 519 832 896 0

machdep.cpu.xsave.extended_state1: 15 832 0 0

machdep.cpu.arch_perf.version: 0

machdep.cpu.arch_perf.number: 0

machdep.cpu.arch_perf.width: 0

machdep.cpu.arch_perf.events_number: 0

machdep.cpu.arch_perf.events: 0

machdep.cpu.arch_perf.fixed_number: 0

machdep.cpu.arch_perf.fixed_width: 0

machdep.cpu.cache.linesize: 64

machdep.cpu.cache.L2_associativity: 8

machdep.cpu.cache.size: 512

machdep.cpu.address_bits.physical: 48

machdep.cpu.address_bits.virtual: 48

machdep.cpu.core_count: 64

machdep.cpu.thread_count: 64

machdep.cpu.tsc_ccc.numerator: 0

machdep.cpu.tsc_ccc.denominator: 0

No option to turn off AX200 on GB board.

Edited by meina222
  • +1 1

• Moderators

fabiosun,

another round for you to test USB-C activity. now there is new SSDT and a kext file to help inject USB properties. The kext file only injects USB for the TB card, no other devices.

(I used a similar type of kext file to increase USB speed on an ASRock Z390 ITX build.)

Edited by iGPU
  • Like 1

• fabiosun changed the title to [Discussion] - TRX40 Bare Metal - Vanilla Patches