fabiosun

On 11/12/2021 at 4:23 PM, fabiosun said:

@fabiosun@Allubz and the others,

I followed the method following the link and it works great: Here

Spoiler

918751978_Capturedecran2021-11-13a21_31_00.thumb.png.3fab324c178559d6e98831d3693aade4.png

I followed the method following the link and it works great:

Here is the method:

1. Disable the SIP in the config.plist by changing the values as in the spoiler below

Spoiler

1367907471_Capturedecran2021-11-13a21_17_44.thumb.png.ff954924911badd1f93133ed6d6c8814.png

2. Switch off, restart and reset nvram. Otherwise the SIP is still activated.

3. Download Chris' Command Line SnapShot Mounter-V2 Here

4. Download Shanee's 2 beta 8 kexts Here

5. Only install the kexts with the Type B command from Chris ’application.

6. Reboot

I still continue to use the I210.kext.

I haven't tried the smaltree but it should work.

I will test the upload connection with large 300 GB files as I usually do at the end of post-production.

After that, there is the surprise of the next update.

Edited :

There is a significant drawback to the method.

Obligation to keep the SIP disabled and SecureBootModel on disabled otherwise it is impossible to boot Monterey where there is a kernel panic with the kext (IOPCIFamily.kext)

I will not use this method.

Edited by Arrakis
Conclusion
  • Like 1
  • +1 1

On 11/9/2021 at 7:54 AM, fabiosun said:

for  ASRock trx40 creator users

You have two ethernet on your motherboard (Aquantia and a 2.5 one)

if you are using Aquantia for sure, it could be useful to post your device id for @valmeidaI think also yours is different from his aquantia id

you can find easily with HackCheck or other tools

See picture below

Thanks

1730526954_Screenshot2021-11-09at7_53_55AM.png.4c7dbfce016aed6e82db3e4fcf066902.png

I seem to have totally different ID's

340601798_Screenshot2021-11-15at22_36_45.thumb.png.a123d13ed17649f76882ef426ad6a424.png

• Like 1

• Moderators

Observational:

Initially, the update would not fully download and install. I then made a change in the OC config file, re-booted and the update went smoothly.

The change involved the ResizeBar Quirk settings in OC. I've recently been looking at instability and sleep issues in latest Monterey and thought I'd found some problems with OC's ResizeBar Quirks, and was re-booting every few days with a different setting.

When the update did not work, both ResizeBar Quirks were set to 0 (enabled using default macOS). However, I had ResizeBar in BIOS disabled. Leaving BIOS alone, when both OC's 2 quirks were set to "-1" (disabled), then the Update went smoothly.

While I did not test the 2 other possible combinations (ResizeBar in BIOS enabled with ±OC Quirks), it probably is a good idea to be consistent with BIOS and OC settings:

1) if ResizeBar in BIOS is disabled, leave OC's ResizeBar Quirks at -1.

2) if ResizeBar is enabled in BIOS, then setting OC ResizeBar Quirks to 0 is probably best.

Edited by iGPU
Update based on fabiosun's post below.
  • Like 1

• Supervisor

I have both Resize bar and 4G enabled in bios and 0 in config.plist (or 8 because here also 8 does not create problem for sleep / wake or memory big usage as Opencore documentation says)

Update went smooth

As side and not related note 🙂

I have installed thunderbolt card on my system..this caused an unrecoverable error on windows disk, and now I have the usual problem for windows installation...

I will try to install without un mounting any disks...at this moment many tries and no success !

• Cross Finger 1

Just a little update on the new build with the 3990X and Cinebench scores. It can barely finish sometimes at 4.40GHz all-core, but it's unstable, let alone sustainable in a closed case (BeQuiet Dark Base Pro 900 Rev.1  non-window). I always really enjoy finetuning systems. I often see people buying the highest-end hardware which have all bells and whistles for maximum performance, to then run them at stock or perhaps a profile like XMP (which often doesn't properly work). Here are my results of a day's testing:

CPU: Stock

Mem: 3400 (1:1 FCLK)

CB23: 52.500

Mem: 3000 (1867 FCLK)

CB23: 53.250

Mem: 3733C18 (1:1 FCLK)

CB23: 54.500

Mem: 3733C16 (1:1 FCLK)

CB23: >54.500 (CL has little influence on CB23)

CPU: 4000MHz @ 1.2V (still testing this setting, it seems mainainable at around 85-90c equilibrium).

CB23: 70.500

CPU: 4375MHz (1.400V)

CB23: 71.750

This is on Windows for easier and quicker benchmarking, and with SMT disabled (due to macOS compatibility).

Main issue arising was the X.M.P profile not working at all (partially due to subtimings, and the FCLK not supporing 1900MHz). Need 1.25V on SOC and some 1.4V on the memory to get to said frequencies. It's four out of eight sticks, and dual-rank. There are many memory settings to focus on regarding stability. Techpowerup has a great roundup, here. The FCLK 1867MHz clock seems a hard limit, as I get Error Code 07 if I go at 1900 or over. Let's not forget it's Zen2. VDDP at 1100mV and VDDG's at 1050mV.

All this under two 360mm rads, D5 pump, and nine case fans (BeQuiet! and Noiseblockers). Ah, and, pushing 4.40GHz @ 1.4V actually draws around 1000W system power, which is my PSU's spec, so in order to go further a bigger PSU would be needed. The 4.0GHz @ 1.2V stays nicely within this budget, allowing for a ~250W-ish GPU.

Edited by Allubz
  • Like 2

On 11/17/2021 at 11:51 AM, fabiosun said:

I have both Resize bar and 4G enabled in bios and 0 in config.plist (or 8 because here also 8 does not create problem for sleep / wake or memory big usage as Opencore documentation says)

Update went smooth

As side and not related note 🙂

I have installed thunderbolt card on my system..this caused an unrecoverable error on windows disk, and now I have the usual problem for windows installation...

I will try to install without un mounting any disks...at this moment many tries and no success !

I have an Asus Strix Trx40-e board. I upgraded opencore to 0.7.5 and it boots Big Sur 11.6.1 great. But it absolutely won’t upgrade to Monterey.  In direct upgrade during the first reboot, it starts to reboot but never completes it. It then goes into a continual reboot.  Trying to do a fresh install from usb has same result. I’ve attached my EFI. Any help would be appreciated. 

_EFI OpenCore 0.7.4 3.zip

• Supervisor
1 hour ago, ejh4286 said:

I have an Asus Strix Trx40-e board. I upgraded opencore to 0.7.5 and it boots Big Sur 11.6.1 great. But it absolutely won’t upgrade to Monterey.  In direct upgrade during the first reboot, it starts to reboot but never completes it. It then goes into a continual reboot.  Trying to do a fresh install from usb has same result. I’ve attached my EFI. Any help would be appreciated. 

_EFI OpenCore 0.7.4 3.zip 17.16 MB · 0 downloads

hi and welcome here

to have a chance to update without staying in an infinite loop as you have now

Update EFi you posted here to 075

In security/SecureBootModel put Default

reboot clear nvram and download again Monterey update (do not use previously downloaded one)

in this way you should have success (if this EFI works fine in Big Sur)

5 hours ago, Allubz said:

Just a little update on the new build with the 3990X and Cinebench scores. It can barely finish sometimes at 4.40GHz all-core, but it's unstable, let alone sustainable in a closed case (BeQuiet Dark Base Pro 900 Rev.1  non-window). I always really enjoy finetuning systems. I often see people buying the highest-end hardware which have all bells and whistles for maximum performance, to then run them at stock or perhaps a profile like XMP (which often doesn't properly work). Here are my results of a day's testing:

Mem: 3400 (1:1 FCLK)

CB23: 52.500

Mem: 3000 (1867 FCLK)

CB23: 53.250

Mem: 3733C18 (1:1 FCLK)

CB23: 54.500

CB23: >54.500 (CL has little influence on CB23)

CPU: 4000MHz @ 1.2V (still testing this setting, it seems mainainable at around 85-90c equilibrium).

CB23: 70.500

CPU: 4375MHz (1.400V)

CB23: 71.750

This is on Windows for easier and quicker benchmarking, and with SMT disabled (due to macOS compatibility).

Main issue arising was the X.M.P profile not working at all (partially due to subtimings, and the FCLK not supporing 1900MHz). Need 1.25V on SOC and some 1.4V on the memory to get to said frequencies. It's four out of eight sticks, and dual-rank. There are many memory settings to focus on regarding stability. Techpowerup has a great roundup, here. The FCLK 1867MHz clock seems a hard limit, as I get Error Code 07 if I go at 1900 or over. Let's not forget it's Zen2. VDDP at 1100mV and VDDG's at 1050mV.

All this under two 360mm rads, D5 pump, and nine case fans (BeQuiet! and Noiseblockers). Ah, and, pushing 4.40GHz @ 1.4V actually draws around 1000W system power, which is my PSU's spec, so in order to go further a bigger PSU would be needed. The 4.0GHz @ 1.2V stays nicely within this budget, allowing for a ~250W-ish GPU.

Got the same CPU, and I do tend to run at stock clocks, as I favor stability equally with power, for longevity with intent to have my workstation do its job for 5-7 years (about what one gets out of a Mac Pro before becoming too obsolete). Getting similar results here, though with SMT enabled in Windows the results are off the charts. Over 64000 for stock and beyond 78000 when enabling PBO (which makes my desktop lamp flicker, hah) drawing about 600W.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, fabiosun said:

hi and welcome here

to have a chance to update without staying in an infinite loop as you have now

Update EFi you posted here to 075

In security/SecureBootModel put Default

reboot clear nvram and download again Monterey update (do not use previously downloaded one)

in this way you should have success (if this EFI works fine in Big Sur)

Still no joy.  I’m clueless.  Never had this much trouble upgrading.

• Supervisor

@ejh4286

this is my working EFi

Inside your MMIO Withelist, your platform and memory data and your SSDT

I would try with this

remember to download from scratch if your downloaded upgrade failed before (and also clear NVRAM)

Maybe you could have to add WhateverGreen kext (I do not use it)

By the way, if you can put in your signature your hardware (mb, CPU,GPU, osx disk and memory)

EFI.zip

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Driftwood said:

The time has come to go to water-cooling after rendering issues in Davinci 🙂

Can anyone recommend thee BEST and for Asrock TRX40 mobo? 

I was looking into that before settling on the Prosiphon Elite for my Threadripper 3990x. I've got idle temps between 34°-40°C, and rarely go beyond 70°C with CPU intensive tasks. With PBO it goes up around 80°C-90°C, though. It seems that custom loop is probably the way to go if you're doing water cooling on the Threadripper, as all the tests I've followed for AIO coolers seem to amount to the vast (if not the entire) majority are absolute garbage.

• +1 1

• Moderators
12 hours ago, fabiosun said:

671959877_Screenshot2021-12-01at7_27_58PM.png.79f2d03dd9b179e7fd06f8521592db7d.png

I couldn't get ß4 to download until I set SIP to disable in the OC boot menu (press space bar to see).

Once booted with SIP disabled, the download and install began. OC re-enables SIP automatically on the next re-boot.

• Confused 1

• Supervisor
6 hours ago, Driftwood said:

The time has come to go to water-cooling after rendering issues in Davinci 🙂

Can anyone recommend thee BEST and for Asrock TRX40 mobo? 

I think AIO is not a solution

Personally I have had two of them aio 360 Corsair and Enermax

The best one was Enermax liqtecII

IceGiant Prosiphon Elite (air) has similar performances but he needs a better study in case Airflow

For me Prosiphone is a right compromise

Otherwise the only way could be a not cheaper self build CPU water loop

Not sure if PBO beast could be dominate well also with a custom water loop

OT

By the way

tomorrow is my anniversary with my 3970x CPU order (2019 December, 3, Amazon after Lisa announcement) 🙂

Never had for more of one year a cpu or a motherboard in my past rigs.... 🙂 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • +1 1

• Moderators

Monterey 12.1 (21C51) automatically prompted to downloaded and the update went flawlessly. No need this time to change SIP.

I was running the last OC 0.7.6 commit during the update (OC got bumped today to 0.7.7).

• +1 2

• fabiosun changed the title to [Discussion] - TRX40 Bare Metal - Vanilla Patches