fabiosun

On 10/22/2021 at 9:27 AM, gosi said:

I tried to update to OpenCore 0.7.4 yesterday still with Big Sur and the system didnt boot anymore. I downloaded the new package of OpenCore, put in the kext files from the working one and the Config.plist. That is how its supposed to work?

Poked a bit further along and now my Big Sur installation boots up with OC 0.7.4 🙂

Looking forward for the Monteray release so I can see how that goes 😄

I could boot to the installer setup using an EFI provided very kindly by @Ploddles . Initially when I got to the screen where the installer setup is seen (i.e. a screen with a window with macOS Utilities), the options were not in English. I did a bit of digging around the web and someone suggested I remove whatever value is in the setting prev-lang:kbd, and reset NVRAM. I did both these, and now I boot to a gray screen which is supposed to show macOS utilities windows but nothing happens, it is sort of just stuck at the gray screen. Can someone please help me get past this point and on to the installer?

Edited by Jaidy

When I launch the installer, it says "Your Mac needs a firmware update in order to install to this volume. Please select a Mac OS Extended (Journaled) volume instead". The volume on my SSD is APFS. Also, the window on "About This Mac" does not read the Mac type, or Serial Number. 

1367115450_ScreenShot2021-10-25at8_59_39PM.thumb.png.57c3c7ca947b88124804a5c188b1ace8.png

Please help.

323166448_ScreenShot2021-10-25at9_01_54PM.thumb.png.1bf1e92f5ac8c7f18d74579a4ba2dcf0.png

Spoiler

I did a clean install for Monterey 12.0.1 under OpenCore 0.7.4. 😀The installation went smoothly.😀

Intel I210 ethernet ports are still invalid.😞  For now, I am staying on Big Sur 11.6.1 (20G224)

I will wait until Monterey 12.2 to resign myself to buying a 10G ethernet card. 

9 minutes ago, Arrakis said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I did a clean install for Monterey 12.0.1 under OpenCore 0.7.4. 😀The installation went smoothly.😀

Intel I210 ethernet ports are still invalid.😞  For now, I am staying on Big Sur 11.6.1 (20G224)

I will wait until Monterey 12.2 to resign myself to buying a 10G ethernet card. 

Great news! Thanks for letting us know!

• Supervisor
11 hours ago, Arrakis said:

Updating smoothly until the last boot I get this. I don't know how to read this panic. Which side should I look for?

IMG_0746.thumb.jpg.9d3ab8b34d7bc96ca537f93ccf3413f4.jpg

If you have not solved

you can try do disable some kexts like AMDcpuPowerManagement kext or similar

As @iGPUsaid, they could cause some panics in installation steps (not for all but it could happen

• +1 1

731344236_Capturedecran2021-10-29a21_44.39-copie.png.9b5217f2533245cd082388844fd22a1c.png

I did a clean install of Monterey 12.0.1 and then update to Monterey 12.1 following the advice of Fabiosun with the kexts disabled: AMDRyzenCPUPowerManagement.kext and SMCAMDProcessor.kext

It went like clockwork in OpenCore 0.7.4🙂

Still no ethernet connection.🤨

I have tested all the kexts I could find for Intel I210.

AppleIGB i210 / 1211.kext modified by Shaneee: kernel panic.

AppleI2xx.kext: kernel panic.

Small tree.kext: frozen system (yes, I know but we had to try).

Fake PCIID_Intel_i225-V.kext associated Fake PCIID.kext: Stable system

I210.kext: Stable system.

Without kext: System freezes….!

22 hours ago, gosi said:

Okay so Upgrade to Monteray did work well for me. Only Wifi and BT is dead now. Arrakis did you do anything to update the Kexts or are those working for you?

@gosi 

For BT, you must use the following two kexts: BlueToolFixup.kext Ver 2.6.1 & IntelBluetoothFirmware.kext Ver 2.0.1

For wifi the following kext: AirportItlwm-Mont.kext Ver 2.0.0

Kext.zip

Coming back to this thread about the 3990x. No progress, but I've found Geekbech results that reference the topology set to 1x64cores, whereas mine reads as 1x32cores64threads. Is there a way in OpenCore to specify the topology? I'm curious if that's where the issue lies in PowerManagement, since the results are indeed closer to 3970x, while I've seen Geekbench results referencing much higher results (similar to Windows/Linux). Any ideas? If I can sort this out, I think this bare metal boot would be my daily driver.

Edit 1; simply changing the topology in Kernel > Patch from BA20... to BA40... (hexadecimal for 64 is 40) only cosmetically changed the reading. Curious how some seem to have managed to tap into the full potential of the 3990x in macOS.

Edit 2; had a hunch that NUMA/Virtualization may have been an issue, as PowerManagement couldn't detect the CPU states, more or less. Said and done, I disabled those in BIOS, and now only about 10% performance drop on bare metal. Amazing. The AMD Power Gadget App is now showing the frequencies being altered on the fly. Sick!

Will post in the separate thread as well. NICE!

Edited by 23d1

• Supervisor
2 hours ago, 23d1 said:

Edit; simply changing the topology in Kernel > Patch from BA20... to BA40... (hexadecimal for 64 is 40) only cosmetically changed the reading. Curious how some seem to have managed to tap into the full potential of the 3990x in macOS

Do you mean With hyper thread disabled in bios?

Because in the past we did this test if I am not wrong and system hanged if you have all cores thread enabled

nor simple to solve or try to solve without a 3990x

it seems you have done all test you can do

• fabiosun changed the title to [Discussion] - TRX40 Bare Metal - Vanilla Patches