fabiosun

On 8/18/2021 at 5:26 AM, fabiosun said:

@valmeida

I would do like this:

Without mixing two systems in different partitions on one disk

I would clone the working Big Sur disk and then update this disk as a normal update (using the seed developer)

I tried that and it reboots right before I get the login screen. I have attached the  boot log from clover . 

Screen Shot 2021-08-19 at 9.52.12 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-08-19 at 10.44.13 AM.png

2021-08-19_14-34_BOOTX64.EFI.log.zip

• Supervisor
39 minutes ago, valmeida said:

I tried that and it reboots right before I get the login screen. I have attached the  boot log from clover . 

Screen Shot 2021-08-19 at 9.52.12 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-08-19 at 10.44.13 AM.png

2021-08-19_14-34_BOOTX64.EFI.log.zip 18.57 kB · 1 download

Try this

config.plist.zip

put back your MMIO only

now as it is then delete WEG from your EFI

Edited by fabiosun
put back your MMIO only

2 hours ago, fabiosun said:

@Arrakis

you have declared your kext in a bad place I think

(under kernel/Patch))

you have to add it in usual section (Kernel/add)

follow this:

2080713921_Screenshot2021-08-19at14_56_09.png.cf34b3d18d2d95e523884c606c62d556.png

in kext plist is present this ID:

1081057625_Screenshot2021-08-19at14_57_22.png.4c52d00e0e157bde3a47af5ec8eabe5d.png

No, I was not wrong, I put the I210.kext file in the correct folder in this case EFI / OC / Kexts

The problem stems from the second file I named Patch I210 Arrakis.plist that needs to be added to the kernel.

1) add the values in key base, key count, key find, key identifier, key limit, key mask, key replace, key replace mask, key skip in this file

2) the second linked to the No schema for BundlePath, ExecutablePatch, PlistPath always in the same file.

Because if I understood the principle correctly, this patch will indicate the loading of the kext I210.kext

• Supervisor
1 hour ago, Arrakis said:

No, I was not wrong, I put the I210.kext file in the correct folder in this case EFI / OC / Kexts

The problem stems from the second file I named Patch I210 Arrakis.plist that needs to be added to the kernel.

1) add the values in key base, key count, key find, key identifier, key limit, key mask, key replace, key replace mask, key skip in this file

2) the second linked to the No schema for BundlePath, ExecutablePatch, PlistPath always in the same file.

Because if I understood the principle correctly, this patch will indicate the loading of the kext I210.kext

I have followed link you posted...

plist is a "simple" kext declaration (and kext declaration is different from patch declaration)

and if you put it in kernel section you have those errors as you have posted in your picture

A different thing could be if in plist they proposed on unRaid forum you have others parameters like find or mask or replace...

in that way you could use a "kernel patch" as we do for aquantia

but it is not useful if I read well instructions 😉

if you read well in plist 

Kernel/add

and this is usual Kext location

1 hour ago, fabiosun said:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/109718-problems-with-big-sur-macinabox-vm-and-intel-i210-network-card-after-upgrading-to-114/?do=findComment&comment=1009015

here is explained well

copy kext in kext folder and declare it (plist in text mode attached in his message)

I do not think is useful, but it is simple to try

I had not tested on Big Sur 11.5.2, it works with just the I210.kext,

but it is broken for Monterey yet the IONetWorkingFamily.kext is still in the same location System / Extensions / ... location with the ten kexts taken in identical load and versions.

• Supervisor

@Arrakisin that thread they talk about BigSur

And they say it works in it only put that kext and declaring it in your Kext config plist section (Kernel/add)

and to do an example..this below:

<dict>
				<key>Arch</key>
				<string>x86_64</string>
				<key>BundlePath</key>
				<string>AMDRyzenCPUPowerManagement.kext</string>
				<key>Comment</key>
				<string>AMD Power Gadget</string>
				<key>Enabled</key>
				<true/>
				<key>ExecutablePath</key>
				<string>Contents/MacOS/AMDRyzenCPUPowerManagement</string>
				<key>MaxKernel</key>
				<string></string>
				<key>MinKernel</key>
				<string></string>
				<key>PlistPath</key>
				<string>Contents/Info.plist</string>
			</dict>

is equal to:

575360427_Screenshot2021-08-19at19_36_41.thumb.png.11f814fb8524f0b86e7d3729c4758105.png

so for you, and overall in Monterey it is not useful because is the same method you used in Big Sur (and if I understand well now in MR is not working)

PS I use another kext but logic is the same

18 minutes ago, valmeida said:

I added this to the clover boot loader you send me that's attached. I updated the MMIO there was no WEG on this boot loader .  No good 

EFI.zip 3.9 MB · 1 download

@valmeidaI think  is an "user" error 🙂

But I have no more ideas to try by now

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
3 hours ago, fabiosun said:

@Arrakisin that thread they talk about BigSur

And they say it works in it only put that kext and declaring it in your Kext config plist section (Kernel/add)

and to do an example..this below:

<dict>
				<key>Arch</key>
				<string>x86_64</string>
				<key>BundlePath</key>
				<string>AMDRyzenCPUPowerManagement.kext</string>
				<key>Comment</key>
				<string>AMD Power Gadget</string>
				<key>Enabled</key>
				<true/>
				<key>ExecutablePath</key>
				<string>Contents/MacOS/AMDRyzenCPUPowerManagement</string>
				<key>MaxKernel</key>
				<string></string>
				<key>MinKernel</key>
				<string></string>
				<key>PlistPath</key>
				<string>Contents/Info.plist</string>
			</dict>

is equal to:

575360427_Screenshot2021-08-19at19_36_41.thumb.png.11f814fb8524f0b86e7d3729c4758105.png

so for you, and overall in Monterey it is not useful because is the same method you used in Big Sur (and if I understand well now in MR is not working)

PS I use another kext but logic is the same

@valmeidaI think  is an "user" error 🙂

But I have no more ideas to try by now

My reading of the above referenced thread is the same as fabiosun's understanding: they were not patching the kext from OC, but instead are 'patching' (editing) the info.plist and then injecting this kext (info.plist) from OC.

There is something different about how Monterey, compared to all previous macOS releases, handles ethernet ports. Once this difference is sorted out, I'm sure all again be functional.

(BTW, editing this kext to add 0x15398086 did not work for the I211 port...)

• Thanks 1

• Supervisor

@Arrakis

some people with x570 system (on AMD discord) are using this kext to have their ethernet working again:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/osx86drivers/files/Kext/Snow_or_Above/

AppleIGP kext

in my case i have a different sub device id and it is not working..

maybe you can try

Edited by fabiosun
AMD Discord
  • +1 2

• Moderators
1 hour ago, fabiosun said:

@Arrakis

some people with x570 system (on AMD discord) are using this kext to have their ethernet working again:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/osx86drivers/files/Kext/Snow_or_Above/

AppleIGP kext

in my case i have a different sub device id and it is not working..

maybe you can try

AppleIGB.kext is one of the worst coded kext I've ever seen... panics a lot and works slowly if it works...

• Moderators
13 hours ago, fabiosun said:

people said it is working

in my case no kp but no working for different sub device id

For a MSI Carbon Gaming Pro X399 it seems to work but with folders with tons of files it hangs the system just browsing the LAN... at least with this particular Mainboard.

• +1 1

• Moderators
4 hours ago, Jaidy said:

Is there someone who’ve experimented hackintoshing on a TR pro platform? Or know of any?

I'm unaware of any Pro Hackintoshes. Here is a good overview of the feature set between Threadripper, Threadripper Pro and EPYC.

The price point for the Pro 3975X is not too much more than the 3970X most of us are using, at $2790 (there is a typo in the 32-Core table where they say the 3970X costs $3990; the MSRP is $1999). However, the price point for the Pro 3995WX over the 3990X is significantly more: $5490 vs $3990.

This price difference doesn't reflect the need for a new mobo since the socket is different for the new Pro models (so there's no swapping of the CPUs for a quick test). And then there's the ECC memory (in the referenced review, read the Comments section, users have found that the number of used DIMM slots affect performance and explain why).

In terms of performance, both use Zen 2 and little advantage was found except in memory performance. My guess is that except for the 3995WX (which uses 4 chiplets), the other Pro versions will have little improvement over our current CPUs in a Hackintosh. The next generation of Threadripper using Zen 3 will probably be a different story; they're supposedly due to arrive later this year.

• Like 3

@fabiosun@igpu

I have had succes installing Monteray . I pin pointed the issue was my Samsung Odyssey G9 49 inch monitor. I have tried a couple of different options with my config .plist one with Whatevergreen turn on and one with just 6900ssdt turned on. When I boot with with motor connect with WEG it reboots with SSDT I get a black screen. If I boot without the monitor plugged in it boots fine with either WEG or SSDT. I can then plug it in and it seat it and starts to work. I have noticed that with Big Sur and ssdt it have no issues with WEG sometimes It down not recognize one of my monitors. Also I have no ethernet ports with Monterey. I have attached both config list .  

Archive.zip

Edited by valmeida
  • +1 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, valmeida said:

@fabiosun@igpu

I have had succes installing Monteray . I pin pointed the issue was my Samsung Odyssey G9 49 inch monitor. I have tried a couple of different options with my config .plist one with Whatevergreen turn on and one with just 6900ssdt turned on. When I boot with with motor connect with WEG it reboots with SSDT I get a black screen. If I boot without the monitor plugged in it boots fine with either WEG or SSDT. I can then plug it in and it seat it and starts to work. I have noticed that with Big Sur and ssdt it have no issues with WEG sometimes It down not recognize one of my monitors. Also I have no ethernet ports with Monterey. I have attached both config list .  

Archive.zip 12.94 kB · 4 downloads

I looked at your mobo specs. You have one I211 port. We've discussed this at length on this thread: it does not work on Monterey. So for the time being: ignore this port. However, your other port is an Aquantia and should work. I already gave you the patches for both Big Sur and Monterey. Please re-read what we've previously written for using Aquantia: the patches are different for Big Sur and Monterey and were recently posted on this thread.

• +1 1

On 8/14/2021 at 12:28 AM, iGPU said:

I did not know you had Aquantia (I checked and you did not have them in the config file you uploaded, so I left out). You need to add the following to Patches:

Hide contents

<dict>
				<key>Arch</key>
				<string>Any</string>
				<key>Base</key>
				<string>__ZN27AppleEthernetAquantiaAqtion5startEP9IOService</string>
				<key>Comment</key>
				<string>Aquantia Big Sur</string>
				<key>Count</key>
				<integer>1</integer>
				<key>Enabled</key>
				<true/>
				<key>Find</key>
				<data>
				D4TAAgAA
				</data>
				<key>Identifier</key>
				<string>com.apple.driver.AppleEthernetAquantiaAqtion</string>
				<key>Limit</key>
				<integer>0</integer>
				<key>Mask</key>
				<data>
				</data>
				<key>MaxKernel</key>
				<string>20.99.99</string>
				<key>MinKernel</key>
				<string>19.00.00</string>
				<key>Replace</key>
				<data>
				Zg8fRAAA
				</data>
				<key>ReplaceMask</key>
				<data>
				</data>
				<key>Skip</key>
				<integer>0</integer>
			</dict>
			<dict>
				<key>Arch</key>
				<string>Any</string>
				<key>Base</key>
				<string>__ZN27AppleEthernetAquantiaAqtion5startEP9IOService</string>
				<key>Comment</key>
				<string>Aquantia Monterey</string>
				<key>Count</key>
				<integer>1</integer>
				<key>Enabled</key>
				<true/>
				<key>Find</key>
				<data>
				QcdFAAAAAADp
				</data>
				<key>Identifier</key>
				<string>com.apple.driver.AppleEthernetAquantiaAqtion</string>
				<key>Limit</key>
				<integer>0</integer>
				<key>Mask</key>
				<data>
				</data>
				<key>MaxKernel</key>
				<string>21.99.99</string>
				<key>MinKernel</key>
				<string>21.0.0</string>
				<key>Replace</key>
				<data>
				QcdFAAEAAADp
				</data>
				<key>ReplaceMask</key>
				<data>
				</data>
				<key>Skip</key>
				<integer>0</integer>
			</dict>

As for black screen, enable WEG and add agdpmod=pikera  to boot argument in "csr-active-config".

I have these patches on my config.plist with the SmallTreeIntel8259x.kext  committed  and I can get the Aquatina card to initialize. 

EFI.zip

8 hours ago, iGPU said:

I'm unaware of any Pro Hackintoshes. Here is a good overview of the feature set between Threadripper, Threadripper Pro and EPYC.

The price point for the Pro 3975X is not too much more than the 3970X most of us are using, at $2790 (there is a typo in the 32-Core table where they say the 3970X costs $3990; the MSRP is $1999). However, the price point for the Pro 3995WX over the 3990X is significantly more: $5490 vs $3990.

This price difference doesn't reflect the need for a new mobo since the socket is different for the new Pro models (so there's no swapping of the CPUs for a quick test). And then there's the ECC memory (in the referenced review, read the Comments section, users have found that the number of used DIMM slots affect performance and explain why).

In terms of performance, both use Zen 2 and little advantage was found except in memory performance. My guess is that except for the 3995WX (which uses 4 chiplets), the other Pro versions will have little improvement over our current CPUs in a Hackintosh. The next generation of Threadripper using Zen 3 will probably be a different story; they're supposedly due to arrive later this year.

I work with huge matrices. So far the limiting factor for me is the cap @ 256GB of RAM. Therefore I would like to get a TR pro, not for performance but for memory size. However I prefer staying on macOS, that’s why I asked..

• Cross Finger 1

• Supervisor

@valmeidaSmallTreeIntel8259x.kext  is not valid for Monterey

Patches for aquantia you have in config.plist are fine both for Big Sur and Monterey

If you have a failure on aquantia connection, a reason could be a previous boot on windows OS

if you put OFF pc and start in OSX it should work

Obviously, your ethernet cable must be connected to Aquantia backplate connector

• Moderators
7 hours ago, fabiosun said:

@valmeidaSmallTreeIntel8259x.kext  is not valid for Monterey

Patches for aquantia you have in config.plist are fine both for Big Sur and Monterey

If you have a failure on aquantia connection, a reason could be a previous boot on windows OS

if you put OFF pc and start in OSX it should work

Obviously, your ethernet cable must be connected to Aquantia backplate connector

Agree with what fabiosun says. Additionally, I'd add that there were reports by KPG (now retired) on his threads that updating the Aquantia driver from Windows will cancel Aquantia from working in macOS. Therefore, seeing no good outcome in testing this belief, I've never updated any Aquantia drivers and the port works just fine in macOS, Linux and Windows.

• fabiosun changed the title to [Discussion] - TRX40 Bare Metal - Vanilla Patches