fabiosun

• Moderators

To get a listing (and then download), the latest macOS installer, enter the following into Terminal. As of today, BS 11.4ß is listed as option 13 and is 11.5G in size. (The listing will show you the latest for High Sierra thru Big Sur.)

curl -O https://raw.githubusercontent.com/munki/macadmin-scripts/main/installinstallmacos.py && sudo /usr/bin/python installinstallmacos.py --raw --seedprogram DeveloperSeed

The download will be listed for BS 11.4ß as "/Install_macOS_11.4-20F5046g.sparseimage" under your boot drive's name/Users/<user name>/Install_macOS_11.4-20F5046g.sparseimage. For example, as "Macintosh HD/Users/<myUserName>/Install_macOS_11.4-20F5046g.sparseimage".

Double-click on this *.sparseimage file and open the Application folder. There, you'll find the "Install macOS Big Sur Beta.app", which you can run as usual (maybe you will want to move it to your actual Application folder first). This file is 12.43G.

Edited by iGPU
  • Like 2
  • +1 2

Hello, my config.plist and EFI folder as based upon Arrakis' ones, I just changed the MMIOs. In Catalina all works well and the system reboots fine. That setup however cannot boot BigSur, the system hangs at the apple logo and you never see the progress bar below. I attached the config.plist file and the opencore log, if anybody has any tip for me, I would appreciate.

Renato

opencore-2021-04-28-152414.txt.zip config.plist.zip

Edited by Renato
updated info

@Renato

For me the easiest and most secure solution is to update EFI and OpenCore on a stick with BigSur 11.3 installer. (do not forget the patches in the config.plist for BigSur 11.3)

This is how I did it for the Big Sur update from 11.2.3 to 11.3. I have made a backup to Time machine and EFI before.

And everything works without problems.

47 minutes ago, Arrakis said:

@Renato

For me the easiest and most secure solution is to update EFI and OpenCore on a stick with BigSur 11.3 installer. (do not forget the patches in the config.plist for BigSur 11.3)

This is how I did it for the Big Sur update from 11.2.3 to 11.3. I have made a backup to Time machine and EFI before.

And everything works without problems.

Hi, I checked the OP but I did not find  the patches for big sur, where  can I find them?

This might be a dumb question, but I haven't been able to find a clear guide on it over the past few months.

What are the steps to properly installing a new OS update for MacOS on the same disk? The reason I ask is that the first time I had tried to do it, I bricked the OS due to SIP and having the "seal" broken on my volume snapshot, and was never able to figure it out. Since then, I've only basically just done a fresh install for major upgrades on a new disk, definitely not practical.

1 hour ago, Arrakis said:

@Renato
Here is my EFI under Open Core 0.6.8. Functional for Big Sur 11.3

@fabiosun
you can take this EFI to replace it in the OP.

EFI Designare TRX40 .zip 31.7 MB · 0 downloads

Thank you Arrakis, my config.plist was already based on yours, minus the MMIOs, will give it a shot.  Another question. What is the device properties section (in the picture below) supposed to accomplishing? I normally delete it and the system seems to work anyway. Can it be used for excluding one  PCI slot? I am kind of tired of having to disconnect my 3080 every time I want to boot in MacOS. I could not find the proper way to do it using whatevergreen and neither with a DSDT file I receive on this forum.

DeviceProperties.jpg

20 hours ago, fabiosun said:

@Renato you can find requested patches in any config of all EFI posted in OP (first message of this thread), I suggest @Arrakis's EFI because He has also a similar motherboard  where you can find others ideas there (ie useful quirks)

How do you manage to have the 3090 on your system and boot from OSX? did you exclude it via Opencore? if so, how? ( unless you tell me you managed to have it working on OSX...)

• Supervisor

@Renatoit works without acceleration at all

only a display in vesa resolution (also in UHD)

nothing of special i did

you can evaluate my config (you find it always in OP)

11 hours ago, tsongz said:

This might be a dumb question, but I haven't been able to find a clear guide on it over the past few months.

What are the steps to properly installing a new OS update for MacOS on the same disk? The reason I ask is that the first time I had tried to do it, I bricked the OS due to SIP and having the "seal" broken on my volume snapshot, and was never able to figure it out. Since then, I've only basically just done a fresh install for major upgrades on a new disk, definitely not practical.

hi tsongz

maybe i have not understood well your question..

i update via apple update manager as usual

If you break your OSX seal (maybe) you cant update

• Moderators

I've been seeing a freeze/crash issue over several recent BS betas. Since I've not heard anyone else complaining about it, I assumed it is a problem restricted to my build. But after many attempts to resolve I thought I'd ask if anyone else has any ideas.

I'm running the last official release, BS v11.2.3 without any problems (and all betas prior to v11.3.2). Once I to update to 11.3 betas 2 - 4, I get a freeze (no mouse, etc function) in anywhere from 30 sec to 2 or 3 minutes of booting into macOS. I've tried updating from 11.2.3 to those beta versions, as well as performing a fresh install on a newly formatted NVMe drive, no matter, the freeze still occurs. (The drives are okay: when running a cloned copy of 11.2.3, there are no freezes, so I don't think it's an NVMe hardware issue.)

My BIOS is not the latest (release from 3/20), but I rather doubt that would influence what I'm seeing, and I'd prefer not to update, unless there's a really good reason, as it's been working up to these latest betas. I've also tried +/-4G in BIOS, but I cannot boot at all with 4G disabled into any version of BS. There is no OC of the CPU.

Within macOS, I tried disabling WEG, removing all DeviceProp, removing all but the essential kext files, disabling SSDTs, etc. I've tried disabling Wifi/BT; it still freezes. I have no extra USB devices connected except for the usual keyboard and mouse. So far, nothing I've tried seems to make a difference with these latest beta releases.

@iGPU I seem to remember a few days ago, on another forum, that a number of people started having a similar issue when they updated from 11.2.3 to the official 11.3. They all had Intel CPUs though and not AMD. The issue was to do with USB port mapping and some having more than 15 ports mapped. 

I think the issue was solved for them by redoing their USBPorts.kext and/or disabling XhciPortLimit in the kernel section of their config.plist.

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
5 hours ago, Ploddles said:

@iGPU I seem to remember a few days ago, on another forum, that a number of people started having a similar issue when they updated from 11.2.3 to the official 11.3. They all had Intel CPUs though and not AMD. The issue was to do with USB port mapping and some having more than 15 ports mapped. 

I think the issue was solved for them by redoing their USBPorts.kext and/or disabling XhciPortLimit in the kernel section of their config.plist.

I re-enabled all of my stock settings, including re-enabling WEG, while also enabling Kernel/XhciPortLimit. It allowed ~5 minutes of use before it locked up: an improvement!

This would suggest a USB issue. The problem with this is that no USB devices on AMD seem to have more than 10 USB ports, so I've not seen the purpose on the AMD platform of providing kext or SSDT files to limit any device to the less than the 16 port limit required when running an Intel CPU. But I've got a USBPort kext for my TRX40 mobo, so I'll re-enable it and see how that goes.

Thanks again!

• Supervisor

For reasons you can see in my signature 🙂 i do not use so often osx anymore, but i can confirm something is changed in apple USB driver or management of it

If you remember well trx40 was from the start affected by an annoying audio bug if you have jack speaker connected to motherboard speaker jack (no audio from realtek USB 2.0 chip)

A trick i have found was to bypass that jack using internal one (and using case speaker output.

from a new Big Sur version (do not remember which one) also internal connection to case speaker output fails

I remember all we have an "usb" audio bridge in our trx40 system

I have not investigated so much to be sure of this

This is for iGPU and anyone who owns the ASRock TRX40 Creator. I have updated my USB Map to fix my ports. See kext included. Note: I disabled the LED Controller USB port because it causes problems. Also, I solved the problem of XHC0 ports moving around on reboots by duplicating the ports for each address (XHC0@60000000, 61xx, & 62xx) . Look at the info.plist for details in the kext file. For me, everything works fine, except for sleep.

AH_USB-Map2.kext.zip

On 4/28/2021 at 8:32 PM, Arrakis said:

@Renato
Here is my EFI under Open Core 0.6.8. Functional for Big Sur 11.3

@fabiosun
you can take this EFI to replace it in the OP.

HI, your file (I changed the MMIOs)  can indeed boot Big sur (Not catalina however, on my system) however. Once BigSur Boots, the installation stops about halfway through and the system reboots. I read somewhere that may have to do with the fact I am using the 4p bios. IS that a possible reason? It would take some time to recreate the MMIO list for 4l or F3 (which is the most stable on my system) so I would want to have a confirmation 4p is indeed the problem here, before changing bios and MMIOs.

@Renato

I don't know how to answer your question.

All I can say my current bios is FBd version (AMD AGESA 1.0.0.4)

As I don't have RTX 3080, 3090 or RX 6800 XT, RX 6900XT, I don't update the FBi bios (AMD AGESA 1.0.0.5)

I looked for your card, there is F4q version (AMD AGESA 1.0.0.5)

• Supervisor

@Renatoto do a more precise debug you should use a debug version of your bootloader and activate debug log

there is possible to try to understand better

MMIo is a mandatory part for a pretty full functional system

it is not mandatory to boot and install (declaring the whitelist i mean is possible to do it after)

to boot you can try only to enable MMIO virtualization without reassignig some of it to OSX)

@Ploddles Is your system stable with 11.4's beta? Mine is my work machine so in the past I have avoided beta versions, though if its stable then I am getting impatient to use my 6800 xt. Also, can you please upload your EFI that works with 11.4, also OC 0.6.8? Finally can I update to 11.4 beta from 11.3, rather than a full install which would require me installing all my programs again too.

16 hours ago, Jaidy said:

@Ploddles Is your system stable with 11.4's beta? Mine is my work machine so in the past I have avoided beta versions, though if its stable then I am getting impatient to use my 6800 xt. Also, can you please upload your EFI that works with 11.4, also OC 0.6.8? Finally can I update to 11.4 beta from 11.3, rather than a full install which would require me installing all my programs again too.

I haven't used it a great deal but it seems very stable atm, in other words it hasn't crashed on me. I updated the BIOS to F4Q and some of the MMIO values changed and these have been incorporated into the EFI. If you therefore use it as is you will need to update to F4Q, or copy the MMIO section from the previous 0.6.7 EFI to stick with F4P. I also haven't got round to changing it to the nice icons yet so it is using the text mode picker. As OC 0.6.9 will be release next week I was leaving it until then to change the picker mode to the icons whilst I am making the other changes that will be necessary.

As for the install, you can either register your machine in the beta program and update that way, or my preferred way, you can download the full installer and run that. With the full installer you could either upgrade your current install (just select your 11.3 drive when it asks where you want to install it) or do a full new install to another drive or container.

Edited by fabiosun
added EFI in OP (Ploddles_068_OC_EFI_f4q)
  • +1 1

5 hours ago, fabiosun said:

@Renatoto do a more precise debug you should use a debug version of your bootloader and activate debug log

there is possible to try to understand better

MMIo is a mandatory part for a pretty full functional system

it is not mandatory to boot and install (declaring the whitelist i mean is possible to do it after)

to boot you can try only to enable MMIO virtualization without reassignig some of it to OSX)

Here it is, albeit I am not sure it can help after the system has booted up correctly and the installation is half way through. I would imagine the installation log would be more helpful but I do not know how to access that

opencore-2021-05-01-080754.txt.zip

• fabiosun changed the title to [Discussion] - TRX40 Bare Metal - Vanilla Patches