fabiosun

@Jaidy,

This is a memory corruption error. At some point one of your processes (Google Chrome Helper) requested to allocate memory, which the kernel tried to handle and failed a sanity check. If this is not reproducible it could be due to issues with memory instability or just bad luck. It is hard to know for sure what's happening based on the error alone. Cosmic rays, random memory errors or overclocking instability are possible. You are running 256G of memory at 3600mhz. This is a very ambitious overclock on such size with the Threadripper platform. Since your memory has no error-correction, I wouldn't be shocked if you get memory errors but you just get lucky enough they don't cause kernel or application panics. Linus Torvalds famously (in his usual 'colorful' style) commented on the lack of unbuffered ECC memory and how important he thinks it is to avoid random occasional crashes or even malicious attacks:

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Linus-Torvalds-ECC

I would recommend you scale back your overclock to 3200mhz (you don't lose much of performance on this platform) which matches the officially stable IF of 1600mhz of Threadripper. I have a hard time running 256GB stable at 3600mhz even though my memory is rated (same brand).

3 hours ago, meina222 said:

@Jaidy,

This is a memory corruption error. At some point one of your processes (Google Chrome Helper) requested to allocate memory, which the kernel tried to handle and failed a sanity check. If this is not reproducible it could be due to issues with memory instability or just bad luck. It is hard to know for sure what's happening based on the error alone. Cosmic rays, random memory errors or overclocking instability are possible. You are running 256G of memory at 3600mhz. This is a very ambitious overclock on such size with the Threadripper platform. Since your memory has no error-correction, I wouldn't be shocked if you get memory errors but you just get lucky enough they don't cause kernel or application panics. Linus Torvalds famously (in his usual 'colorful' style) commented on the lack of unbuffered ECC memory and how important he thinks it is to avoid random occasional crashes or even malicious attacks:

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Linus-Torvalds-ECC

I would recommend you scale back your overclock to 3200mhz (you don't lose much of performance on this platform) which matches the officially stable IF of 1600mhz of Threadripper. I have a hard time running 256GB stable at 3600mhz even though my memory is rated (same brand).

Thanks for the suggestion. My memory is actually 3600MHz (if that's what you meant by rated?). But I would scale it back to 3200MHz.

I have Big Sur 11.2 working but when I try to update to 11.3 since I have access to developer releases it just hangs

I need to see if I am missing a kernel patch

is there a list I can use to compare against my config.plist in OC to see if one was missed or such?

• Supervisor
4 hours ago, Foster said:

I have Big Sur 11.2 working but when I try to update to 11.3 since I have access to developer releases it just hangs

is there a list I can use to compare against my config.plist in OC to see if one was missed or such?

Hi

you have to add new patch for Penryn in you kernel patches section if you are using an AMD cpu

you can find it in this thread

if you want, post your  working config.plist you have in 11.2

thanks

4 hours ago, antuneddu said:

hi you can check you plist with OCConfigCompare https://github.com/corpnewt/OCConfigCompare   or here https://opencore.slowgeek.com/

Not related to his problem😉

• Like 1
  • +1 1

I'm trying to install Mojave on my ryzentosh but installation process doesn't start....of course it dependes from missing kernel patches for Mojave. I search in github and there is a list of patches....but i'm as a newbie with AMD hacks so could someone help me to find the correct patches to use with Mojave? 

• Supervisor
12 minutes ago, thenightflyer said:

I'm trying to install Mojave on my ryzentosh but installation process doesn't start....of course it dependes from missing kernel patches for Mojave. I search in github and there is a list of patches....but i'm as a newbie with AMD hacks so could someone help me to find the correct patches to use with Mojave? 

dear mine 🙂 😛

full set of patches attached...

patches.plist.zip

• Like 1

On 2/3/2021 at 3:30 AM, Ploddles said:

I’ll be doing it at the weekend as there are some big changes as to how it works. It is now apparently a uefi app rather than just a program, eg bootstrap.efi has been removed and quite a few changes to the config file. 

I’ll post a link to my efi when completed for anybody who wants it.

can we please get a link to your EFI folder with OC 0.6.6? 🙂

5 hours ago, Jaidy said:

can we please get a link to your EFI folder with OC 0.6.6? 🙂

HERE you go. I haven't tried it with BS 11.3 Beta 1 yet but have added the additional patch so hopefully it should be OK. As usual, test it on a USB stick first before replacing your main one.

I have also updated my BIOS to F4n, the MMIO Whitelist hasn't changed at all. That is HERE if you want it (at present it is not available on the Gigabyte web site but is available if you request it from them).

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Foster said:

Add this patch for 11.3 beta. Put maxkernel 20.3.0 to the old force penryn patch to mantain compatibility for the older kernels:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	<key>Kernel</key>
	<dict>
		<key>Patch</key>
		<array>
			<dict>
				<key>Arch</key>
				<string>x86_64</string>
				<key>Base</key>
				<string></string>
				<key>Comment</key>
				<string>DhinakG - cpuid_set_cpufamily - force CPUFAMILY_INTEL_PENRYN - 11.3b1</string>
				<key>Count</key>
				<integer>1</integer>
				<key>Enabled</key>
				<true/>
				<key>Find</key>
				<data>MdIAAIA9AAAAAAZ1AA==</data>
				<key>Identifier</key>
				<string>kernel</string>
				<key>Limit</key>
				<integer>0</integer>
				<key>Mask</key>
				<data>//8AAP//AAAA////AA==</data>
				<key>MaxKernel</key>
				<string>20.99.99</string>
				<key>MinKernel</key>
				<string>20.4.0</string>
				<key>Replace</key>
				<data>swG6vE/qeOldAAAAkA==</data>
				<key>ReplaceMask</key>
				<data></data>
				<key>Skip</key>
				<integer>0</integer>
			</dict>
		</array>
	</dict>
</dict>
</plist>

This worked for me thanks to @tomnic

On 2/10/2021 at 8:58 AM, fabiosun said:

@Arrakis

sorry I have lost your EFI in OP

when you have time can you post it again so I can insert in OP?

thank you

@fabiosun

and here is my EFI under OpenCore 0.6.6 / BigSur 11.2 so there is no patch for Big Sur 11.3 😀

Edited by fabiosun
EFI Removed (added latest in OP)
  • Thanks 1

• Supervisor
18 hours ago, Arrakis said:

@fabiosun

and here is my EFI under OpenCore 0.6.6 / BigSur 11.2 so there is no patch for Big Sur 11.3 😀

EFI GIGABYTE DESIGNARE REV 1.1.zip 31.7 MB · 3 downloads

Thank you, OP updated 🙂

10 hours ago, Foster said:

I applied the latest patches listed on opencore guide from github and 11.3 works

now want to optmize mmio etc

EFI.zip 7.76 MB · 0 downloads

Hi @Foster

not useful to post EFI to optimize your MMIO

you have to post an Opencore debug log done following this helpful thread:

TRX40 Bare Metal - Vanilla Patches (Yes it works...but..Proxmox is better?) - Page 33 - General - MacOS86

now you are using some MMIOs in your config, but we can't say if they are for your motherboard or not from only an EFI posted

By the way, when you post an EFI you can delete APPLE folder before posting it..it is not useful at all to help 🙂

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Ploddles said:

HERE you go. I haven't tried it with BS 11.3 Beta 1 yet but have added the additional patch so hopefully it should be OK. As usual, test it on a USB stick first before replacing your main one.

I have also updated my BIOS to F4n, the MMIO Whitelist hasn't changed at all. That is HERE if you want it (at present it is not available on the Gigabyte web site but is available if you request it from them).

I'm very grateful (as always 🙂). Can you please share your BIOS settings too. I think I messed something up..

• Supervisor
5 hours ago, Foster said:

MMIO entries done for my motherboard.

Only about 2-4 I had to actually change.

what apps kexts, etc used for fan, and power management?

AMD Power Gadget - PBO - AMD PM - YouTube

GitHub - trulyspinach/SMCAMDProcessor: Power management, monitoring and VirtualSMC plugin for AMD processors

• Like 1

• fabiosun changed the title to [Discussion] - TRX40 Bare Metal - Vanilla Patches