fabiosun

• Supervisor
47 minutes ago, meina222 said:

@fabiosun

I did additional testing with very "barebones" EFI - no SSDT as you suggested and changing MMIO as you proposed. This is BigSur. I think maybe more kexts can be removed, I left a few in.

So your proposed MMIO works with slide=0. I think this is better to include in a common guide as mine required slide=80. But one needs to test over many boots to be 100% sure.

Sleep still does not work. Shutdown works. So sleep is definitely related more to something on my board rather than MMIO. Sharing this barebones config plist I used to boot in. Unfortunately I need NVRAM and bluetooth so I need to add back SSDT's for these to work.

config.plist.zip 5.94 kB · 0 downloads

Now i am out my pc room

when i come back i will  compare your others parameters in config with mine

designare ex was however my x299 board and on it i was not able to have a correct sleep/wake cycle..and i remember the problem was Usb related

to start with a minimal modified system is a good thing for me, then with ssdt we can improve all other part we need

Attached is my latest EFI folder for the Asrock TRX40 Creator / Vega 64 . It is work in progress. I do not have the MMIO in yet. 

Look at the readme file in the EFI__in_work folder. You will need to rename this folder EFI to use and you will need to add your serial number. I have been using the latest version of OpenCore Configurator.app with the project set to 0.61 debug. This latest version has worked pretty well for me.

What works in this build:

1. Damn fast. Just like the Mac that Apple has yet to build. 

2. Bluetooth with the stock chipset. 

3. 10G Ethernet

4. All of the USB ports.  

5. DisplayPort and HDMI, as well as sound from these ports. Note: DisplayPort only works if you set CSM to Enabled. This causes all of the icons and text to be enlarged when booting up. 

What does not work:

1. AX200 WiFi.

2. RTL8125 ethernet

3. Realtec Audio. I have to use the Sabrent USB Audio device. 

I forgot to mention: I did not try this with Big Sur, yet.

EFI___in_work.zip

Edited by Rocket88

• Supervisor

@Rocket88

for 2)

have you tested the latest kext for rtl8125?

for3)

it works if you do the above advised things (above in this thread I mean)

also you have to revisit (imho) some of your bios settings..I mean CSM and 4g part and also npci part in config...

4g off and the use of npci=0x2000 are often related

• Supervisor

@meina222the main difference I see is there:

117992146_Schermata2020-08-30alle19_17_47.png.7e313a615db1f05f4a5dfdf6326a7552.png

then in kext I am not using WEG but it is not related

and i ACPI i am using a SSDT for NVRAM..maybe similar to yours

also I have write flash on NO

but I would try only with XCHIport limit set to NO

Schermata 2020-08-30 alle 19.20.29.png

Edited by fabiosun
added image and corrected some typo

@Rocket88 You should have a look at this one fabisun and I have constructed for the Asrock. It should be pretty similar and I am keen to see how your MMIO addresses differ from mine if you choose to go with Above 4G enabled.

Once you go through your MMIO let me have a look for compare!

config-Asrock TRX40 Creator - fill in smbios.plist.zip

Of course, I am using the Mac7,1 smbios. My next quest is to try and get this working with my Big Sur (Proxmox installed) SSD tests drive.

If everything works I will begin to swap over from SSDs to the m2 drives.

Let me know how you get on.

@Rocket88 Q. Why CSM Enabled and Above 4G Disabled? You need CSM disabled and Above 4G is best on in my tests, but I guess each to their own..

Edited by Driftwood

@fabiosun - when I installed I needed WEG as without it, I would get black screen - my GPU needs agpmod pikera. Will re-try w/out later tonight.

I have the NVRAM SSDT but I disabled it to find out if I can boot without any SSDT. Answer is "yes". I need NVRAM and have it enabled in my current EFI.

For Sleep it'd be great to see a good analysis - it seems a bit of a black magic if it works or not. I am yet to find a great guide for USB setup, it's a bit of a guesswork. So far @iGPU's SSDT's make sense but I keep wondering why it is done the way it's done and my Hackintool output is all over the place. I never understood what it tells me.

Update: confirmed that WEG is required for me. Without it I get black screen. I am the only one with 5700XT so far so maybe that is why.

Edited by meina222

• Supervisor

@meina222sleep is often a pain..but here after MMIO job was simple to have it working

often a bad sleep/wake is related to USB and mapping it on apple limit could help

For AMD i do not think is useful..but I can be wrong

Dummy Power management flag is there in your config flag, why?

it is a sort of null power management kext..and you should not use it

I think many AMD users want to emulate intel CPU power management ..for me this is wrong...

AMD is different and it has a great BIOS power management tool..I would trust on it

not faking intel stuff 🙂

But also here is just an opinion 🙂

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ploddles said:

ASMedia Controller.

I have an NVMe in the M2C socket which disables ports on the controller. I remember now when I first connected the SATA drives I tried them in the bottom 2 ports thinking these were SATA0 & SATA1 which are the only 2 that wil

Correct! See our Proxmox thread to see the mappings of SATA. Two different controllers. Glad you had your Eureka moment 🙂

• Supervisor

@Driftwood

Ploddles has a different motherboard

Our SATA controller are pretty the same

In some gigabyte and in EXTREME II of asus

they have two controllers as our but one of them is an ASMedia which is not supported by OS X and it needs extra kext to add

9 minutes ago, fabiosun said:

@meina222sleep is often a pain..but here after MMIO job was simple to have it working

often a bad sleep/wake is related to USB and mapping it on apple limit could help

For AMD i do not think is useful..but I can be wrong

Dummy Power management flag is there in your config flag, why?

it is a sort of null power management kext..and you should not use it

I think many AMD users want to emulate intel CPU power management ..for me this is wrong...

AMD is different and it has a great BIOS power management tool..I would trust on it

not faking intel stuff 🙂

But also here is just an opinion 🙂

DummyPowerManagement is there because it was enabled in @iGPU's initial config off which mine is based. I disabled it, and booted fine - then tried sleep, but still didn't work. Then 30 sec later my computer randomly rebooted. So maybe it's not good for my setup. Don't know. I re-enabled it now, mainly due to this reboot. Didn't have such issues prior.

@fabiosun, when you have a chance, could you share your BIOS power settings? For Gigabyte boards "wake on lan" option affects Shutdown. Wonder if something else affects sleep.

Edited by meina222

22 minutes ago, meina222 said:

For Sleep it'd be great to see a good analysis - it seems a bit of a black magic if it works or not. I am yet to find a great guide for USB setup, it's a bit of a guesswork. So far @iGPU's SSDT's make sense but I keep wondering why it is done the way it's done and my Hackintool output is all over the place. I never understood what it tells me.

Im not using any DSDTs at all at the moment Still looking into where Im going to need them as Sleep, Shutdown, Restart, Drive icons, Firewire, BT/Wifi, Aquantia and everything else is working fine on BM Cat 10.15.6. So Im all good with Cat.

I like @fabiosun methodology is to keep it simple and vanilla as possible - the less we have to do is more! And when it comes to updates etc there will be less to worry about.

I think my Proxmox BS install got corrupted somehow so will be using a new install following @iGPUs excellent methodology to install and seal.

BTW For any new TRX40 Asrock Creator owners here make sure you download and use firmware 1.70 Update AMD CastlePeakPI-SP3r3-1.0.0.4

Edited by Driftwood
  • +1 1

• Supervisor
5 minutes ago, meina222 said:

DummyPowerManagement is there because it was enabled in @iGPU's initial config off which mine is based. I disabled it, and booted fine - then tried sleep, but still didn't work. Then 30 sec later my computer randomly rebooted. So maybe it's not good for my setup. Don't know. I re-enabled it now, mainly due to this reboot. Didn't have such issues prior.

not checked all your kernel patches (vanilla AMD Patches) and overall I am on Catalina so something could change

Patches are very experimental like our new working system

If you search there are not official statement because now it is working when in December we have had problems

Patches are pretty the same..and maybe the previous assertion that patches were borked was not correct and new open core EFI drivers solved a previous miss

but no official statement for this 

• Supervisor

about Bios settings I am using the same I posted in a thread about bios settings (I use the same I use a Proxmox..

wait I will find and post here the link

MSI board (mine) has a very simple bios settings

@Driftwood, I am also interested in smbios 7,1. All my Proxmox VMs (BS and Cat) run on it great. Did you have to change MMIO between 1,1 and 7,1? On the other hand, @iGPU provides great feedback on 1,1 so maybe it's best to stick with that till I get it stable.

I want to transition and stay on BS, so my bare metal is BS. I really like the experience and performance. I think it's going in the right direction (other than the Apple-built chip architecture which doesn't affect us yet).

Edited by meina222

@meina222, very strange as I am not sure what has changed that could possibly affect sleep but it was working earlier this week. After doing the sound tests for @fabiosun I checked sleep again.

In Catalina, the monitors, keyboard and mouse turn off but the fans are still running. but I cannot now get it to come back on.

In BigSur, the same happens but I hear a click after the monitors, keyboard and mouse turn off but the fans are still running. Cannot get it to turn back on.

There is another test I want to do but the F1 Racing is now on............ 🙂

1 hour ago, fabiosun said:

@Rocket88

for 2)

have you tested the latest kext for rtl8125?

for3)

it works if you do the above advised things (above in this thread I mean)

also you have to revisit (imho) some of your bios settings..I mean CSM and 4g part and also npci part in config...

4g off and the use of npci=0x2000 are often related

I used something called LucyRTL8125. It did not work for me.

As far as the CSM / Above4G / npci=0x2000 goes, I am wondering if it is a special feature of this motherboard mated to my Vega64. I did not have any issues with the Vega 64 in my X99 setup with or without CSM.

If I have CSM disabled and I boot into windows, I cannot get to the BIOS screen, so it really looks like a motherboard issue.

29 minutes ago, Ploddles said:

@fabiosun, as promised, I disabled the AppleACL.kext and removed alcid in boot arguments. I then cleared NVRAM. The system was shut down and turned off before each test.

Below are the results of my sound tests:-

958331352_CatalinaRearJack.jpg.24ce42f8c7998201addd85e506295ff8.jpg1522922936_CatalinaNothingConnected.jpg.d3238285edee16ed5aa5a56de83add30.jpg1527728102_CatalinaFrontJack.jpg.96aad2c75949540850447e2c89088ed4.jpg1975237756_BigSurRearJack.jpg.157abeaef103d901adf53548f2626de0.jpg1730818166_BigSurNothingConnected.jpg.3ab5eb73db9d489f1195d67f5d1b3ab9.jpg1671291282_BigSurFrontJack.jpg.0e3874966fdf09165ccabdc05c92e726.jpg

So the rear jack in Catalina is working after removing the AppleALC and disabling ALCID. Does that mean you were using the AppleHDA vanilla kext that comes with the macOS or some other one? 

• Supervisor

@Ploddlesif you want try this

with your working config and bios settings do this

delete npci=0x2000 and set 4g enabled

end nothing else

turn off pc 

and try if it boots

often 4g enable could avoid the use of npci boot arg

I prefer bios option than boot args additions if possible

22 minutes ago, fabiosun said:

@Ploddlesif you want try this

with your working config and bios settings do this

delete npci=0x2000 and set 4g enabled

end nothing else

turn off pc 

and try if it boots

often 4g enable could avoid the use of npci boot arg

I prefer bios option than boot args additions if possible

Should the encoding limit be left to 39? Or some other value?

also, I want to be able to use AMD Power gadget but even after adding the AMDRyzenCPUManagement.kext and SMCAMDProcessor.kext in the Kexts folder in EFI, and adding them in the config.plist, it still says “AMDRyzenCPUManagement.kext not found”. 

Also, when I disabled “wake on lan” in the bios, the system started rebooting randomly, so @Ploddles can you please provide me with your working EFI? 

also, @Ploddles, your BIOS settings file is probably encoded in binary, so I do not know how to read that..

• fabiosun changed the title to [Discussion] - TRX40 Bare Metal - Vanilla Patches