fabiosun

• Supervisor

Problem we have also in Proxmox

For people using internal Realtek audio

try to connect a speaker jack on green backplate output 

Do a cold boot

See if you see your Realtek 2.0 device
then disconnect this jack reboot (cold boot is better) and see

this is unsolved problem for MSI board (or config problem) with trx40 Pro 10 g and MSI creator (@pavo tested this for me )

Gigabyte and Asus users could do this test?

thank you

8 minutes ago, Ploddles said:

@rressl, try this. Just put your serial numbers etc in and you will need to add the pikera boot argument as you have a different dGPU. If you want, later today I can save my BIOS settings profile to a file that you can upload to yours to try, just let me know if you want it.

Thanks for uploading the file. I have the same issue. 😞

Yes, please upload the uefi settings file, then I can try this.

@fabiosun

This is the exact EFI (original from @iGPU  with a few changes, eg my own Whitelist) I used for a fresh install of Big Sur and what boots Catalina as well. I haven't tried reinstalling Catalina. No need to clear NVRAM between different OS's boots.

NVRAM works, Sleep works, Restart works, Shutdown does the usual startup after shutting down. The only issue I currently have is that SATA drives are not showing, M2 drives show fine - they (3)  are all NVMe but I would guess if they were M2 SSDs that they would be OK.

Later today I will connect some headphones into the green audio jack and test as your have asked. I don't have speakers as such (I use a USB sound bar) but headphones should be the same. When you say "see your Realtek 2.0 device  " do you mean as an option in Preferences | Sound | Output?

• Supervisor

So shutdown is not working as it should if I have understood

Sata drive are Ex fat or rtfs formatted?

I am asking because my 2 10TB drive expat formatted appear afterr a bit some time..usually when I do too much config experiment but also when icon is not present and disk is late to mount I can see it in Disk Utility app

Yes for Realtek option output/input..but you have inspired me to test an head speaker instead my usual powered speakers 🙂

• Supervisor

I think this is your problem

ASMedia® SATA 6Gb/s Controller:

maybe you need a kext like ahciport or similar...

i am notsure

but is the same problem in Extreme II Asus board

23 hours ago, Ploddles said:

I have 2 SATA drives connected. 1, a 256GB SSD, is formatted as APFS.

The other is a 3TB spinner with 3 partitions. 1TB exFat, 1TB APFS and 1TB NTFS.

Neither show up in Disk Utility, gui nor from Terminal.

for "my" audio problem also with a cheaper headphone problem is there 

the only solution is to start without a jack connected on it

with a cheaper USB external audio this problem is not here

Well spotted 😀. The board has 2 SATA controllers, if I remember correctly now you mention it - I'll check later. I'll have to check which SATA ports are available on the other controller, as some are disabled as they share lanes with the M2 slots.

• Supervisor

additional infos for audio problem

if I have connected a jack on backplate (motherboard) speaker or headphone beast the same , no audio device

if I connect speaker on my external case peaker/mic output I have device connected well and seen on preferences as it should be always:

1576087800_Schermata2020-08-30alle12_33_52.png.94d04c67f35524fe1560d1536f004036.png1631865203_Schermata2020-08-30alle12_33_59.png.8fe4af8678d03908574e67ceb5aed970.png

26 minutes ago, Ploddles said:

Well spotted 😀. The board has 2 SATA controllers, if I remember correctly now you mention it - I'll check later. I'll have to check which SATA ports are available on the other controller, as some are disabled as th

You'll have them split by ports 0-4 and 5-8 like we found with Proxmox. 

Test your sata cable ports. 

@fabiosun The Realtek USB Audio Works both from and back with the front panel headphone socket is very loud and needs turning down the back (Green) port plays perfectly.

Screen Shot 2020-08-30 at 12.36.05.png

UPDATE: On cold boot with rear backplate Green Jack occupied, the Realtek has completely disappeared! Hmmm....

428347311_ScreenShot2020-08-30at13_20_02.png.be864a3b9487045d7ed0fc3f9b66fef8.png

Edited by Driftwood
  • Like 1

• Supervisor

Ok @Driftwoodyou are on the same boat all trx40 user are

now I miss only gigabyte users and Asus users

as information connecting speaker on case output connector produces a not missing realtek2.0audio device

but if green output motherboard on backplate is fulfilled 

no audio device in system settings

this happens only with Realtek internal audio

with a cheaper usb audio pen it does not happen

1976509482_Schermata2020-08-30alle14_56_47.png.52f6416ed0ffbcec550428cf3a786a40.png

Edited by fabiosun
added JAUD1

@fabiosun

Eureeka!!

The bottom 2 port on the MB are controlled by the ASMedia Controller.

I have an NVMe in the M2C socket which disables ports on the controller. I remember now when I first connected the SATA drives I tried them in the bottom 2 ports thinking these were SATA0 & SATA1 which are the only 2 that will work on the main controller if I have something in M2C. It is the other way round though, 0 & 1 are at the top, silly me. Swapped them over and all is OK. Thanks for the spot.

I have now also fixed the shutdown issue and Shutdown now does a proper shutdown and turns off, no reboot. The fix for this was a BIOS setting, turning off "Wake on Lan". @Jaidyplease note this fix for our MB.

Now for the interesting bits about the sound.

I get different results in Catalina and Big Sur. Gigabyte boards work best (from my experience with Z370 & Z390 boards) with ALCID=11 or ALCID=16. Below, where I have put "Yes" then Realtec appears in the sound output and works with headphones plugged in. Where I have put "Nothing plugged in - Yes" then it still appears as an option you can select. In summary, use ALCID=16 for Big Sur but ALCID=11 for Catalina. Please also note there is no Green output on the Xtreme as you can connect things differently (see pictures below) 

ALCID=16

Catalina

Front case port - Yes

Rear Panel port - No

Nothing Plugged in - No

Big Sur

Front case port - Yes

Rear Panel port - Yes

Nothing Plugged in - Yes

ALCID=11

Catalina

Front case port - Yes

Rear Panel port - Yes

Nothing plugged in - Yes

Big Sur

Front case port - Yes

Rear Panel port - No

Nothing plugged in - No

1.jpg

2.jpg

• +1 1

• Supervisor

1.jpg.2e1fbaf5fd0a84dc90207d8e41f4b932.jpg.daeb483bb39114319b04b1ba514efaa5.jpg@Ploddles

turn off your pc connect your speaker headphone jack on I in

then turn On your PC and see if you see realtek2.0Audio device in settings

AppleALC.kext should not be useful for Realtek internal usb 2.0 audio (also alcid parameter..but I see many of you use it..so I have to see better)

Edited by fabiosun
typo

@fabiosun

Attached is my OC debug log. GB Designare TRX40. So far working:

1. NVRAM

2. Stable boot (slide=80 + MMIO as indicated in the log). For me slide=80 is important as otherwise boot would sometimes not work.

3. Shutdown (posted how to fix it last night, @Ploddles confirmed it works, perhaps he saw my post or found it himself)

4. Bluetooth and wireless

5. HDMI sound through Lenovo P32u-10 (Display Port)

If not plugged on startup:

5. Rear output sound (onboard Realtek USB)

6. Front output sound (onboard Realtek USB)

Not working:

1. Sleep (only monitor turns off and sleeps properly and then can come back after input from user)

2. If output plugged on startup Realtek USB disappears. Not a problem with DisplayPort.

No tested yet:

USB sound. I use  HDMI Navi as it works perfectly for me, will retest Realtek.

I will only post EFI if someone specifically asks me, and would happily do so! I think we just wanted to respect the rules of not having too many EFIs floating around and maybe confusing people.

opencore-2020-08-30-130759.txt.zip

Edited by meina222

Sleep is the only thing not working right now. Edited above to include that. Display sleeps and can wake up, PC stays ON. My USB's still need work I think, I will try to play with that using plugging in devices and  IOReg and set types correctly. But Sleep is the least important right now for me.

Edited by meina222

• Supervisor

About EFI

if it useful to explain it is good to insert it 

No good talking about a thing that is been then deleted (it is no easy to understand if people is not involved in this discussion)

then everyone posting EFI to help other users are to be appreciated..and also it is clear other users use it at their own risk

Helpful people could not be blamed for problem could happen

and this are my two cents  in this subject

3 minutes ago, meina222 said:

Sleep is the only thing not working right now. Edited above to include that. Display sleeps and can wake up, PC stays ON. My USB's still need work I think, I will try to play with that using plugging in devices and  IOReg and set types correctly. But Sleep is the least important right now for me.

I think you should try the exact schema I propose because it is working without any ssd or particular config options

obviously with your conversion MMIO number

• +1 1

3 hours ago, fabiosun said:

Problem we have also in Proxmox

For people using internal Realtek audio

try to connect a speaker jack on green backplate output 

Do a cold boot

See if you see your Realtek 2.0 device
then disconnect this jack reboot (cold boot is better) and see

this is unsolved problem for MSI board (or config problem) with trx40 Pro 10 g and MSI creator (@pavo tested this for me )

Gigabyte and Asus users could do this test?

thank you

Asrock TRX40 Creator: I have the same problem. The only way I have been able to get audio, so far, is to use a Sabrent USB audio jack. (This was the same issue that I used to have with my x99 Intel hack).

• Supervisor
2 minutes ago, Rocket88 said:

Asrock TRX40 Creator: I have the same problem. The only way I have been able to get audio, so far, is to use a Sabrent USB audio jack. (This was the same issue that I used to have with my x99 Intel hack).

also connecting in case in it works..

important stuff is no backplate green or speaker jack connected 

obviously this works if you have internal audio connected to your cabinet

0.jpg

7 minutes ago, fabiosun said:

I think you should try the exact schema I propose because it is working without any ssd or particular config options

obviously with your conversion MMIO number

@fabiosun - would love to try. Do you mind sharing again - I think I have lost or missed this post as right now there is a lot of activity!

• fabiosun changed the title to [Discussion] - TRX40 Bare Metal - Vanilla Patches