fabiosun

• Supervisor
12 hours ago, Arrakis said:

Nothing to report during the update with OpenCore 0.7.5

Intel I210 still non-functional. Misery of misery ....!

1537741153_Capturedecran2021-12-07a20_37_58.png.c0a0b2058fb8c3952bada332b8af6ec5.png

@Arrakisit is only a curiosity of mine to know!!

Why Intel Xeon 24 cores?

Your CPU is better 🙂 🙂

• fabiosun changed the title to [Discussion] - TRX40 Bare Metal - Vanilla Patches

I no longer believe that the Intel I210s will work under Monterey.😌

As Apple seems to be moving towards outdoor ethernet modules on their computers (iMac, MacBookPro and that's just the beginning.)

I pointed to a USB C / ethernet adapter here.

And since I need two ethernet ports and additional USB C 3.2 ports (I only have one USB C port on the motherboard)

I bought and here

It's really Plug in Play, no drivers to install for BigSur and Monterey and probably other MacOs.😀

Works wonderfully for ethernet connections (Test upload of a 350 GB file without cuts)

I pushed the vice to do a clean install of Monterey with the ssd plugged into the card. Installation took place without any problems.

Here I finally have a reliable solution for a wired ethernet connection under Monterey.

1723377252_Capturedecran2021-12-23a17_34_18.thumb.png.d75520d38f89a5ee394b118bec211779.png

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Monterey install issues:

First of all, I have a properly working Catalina system with this setup (99 percent, the only issue if I shut down the system the computer restarts itself 80 percent of the cases, sometimes shuts down)

So I continued my workin efi from Catalina to modify to Monterey.

First issue, it was not clean for me to use the new and patches next to the old ones, or I should only use the new ones. I found 2-3 identical patches, so the logical was to only use the new ones. And also this was working.

I always stuck during installation with the ssd update process, could not trick it even with different smbioses. So installed the first step trough Catalina to the new SSD and I could boot into this partition, and monterey started.

Issues: I use OC 7.7. If I boot with the monterey efi I cannot see my Catalina ssd, only the new nvme. In monterey I cannot see any internal or usb drives, only the boot partition.

In system info/SATA I see my drives, but not in finder or in disk utility (pic attached)

My boot time is extremely long 6-8 minutes. As I booted with the -v flag, I saw it spends a lot of time with usb things 240sec timeouts 2 times followed. In this point if I removed usb units I saw the system reactions.

2.5G ethernet is working fine, with wifi I can connect, bluetooth maybe not working, but HDD issue is more important first to solve.

I would like to update to monterey to swap my video card to a 6800Xt -windows gaming reasons-(6700xt would be better and cheaper, but there are no drivers for that).

The best would be make working the rdna2 under Catalina, but I know.......

I use it for audio works. I have UAD what is used with firewire in Catalina, but the UAD thrower the firewire support in bigsur.... connection B would be thunderbolt, but this board is not capable for that.

BUT now I got a gigabyte alpine ridge card, and at the first boot I saw my connected THB drive to it under catalina, rebooted and it is gone. It is not working under windows, but for one startup it was working, really strange.First have to boot to win, soft restart and then catalina, I can see my thunderbolt harddrive, but doesn’t work with the UAD soundcard.

Monterey: I use SMBIOS iMacpro1.1. Catalina works super, here monterey my CPU speedstep is not working cpu goes and stucks only 3.7Ghz. If I change to iMac19.3 or earlier, speedstep is fine goes from 2.8-4.3Ghz.

Connected to this case: strange, if I boot to Catalina from external usb efi drive, speedstep never works, only if I boot from the nvme. And also not working if I restart from windows, have to shut down the computer totally.

Unsupported kexts: I tried to load the UAD firewire kext in the boot efi/kexts, but had no luck. It is not that easy to change values in the kext plist, and the system will allow to lad the old kexts? Maybe I m too naive in this era , because would be nice to keep using the firewire

NVRAM: with this motherboard I could not have native nvram, had to use the fake file method, I don't know if I was doing something wrong

Whole EFI partition is attached.

thankyou

Screen Shot 2022-01-16 at 15.25.29.png

EFI monterey.zip

• Supervisor
18 minutes ago, fojerhar said:

Monterey install issues:

First of all, I have a properly working Catalina system with this setup (99 percent, the only issue if I shut down the system the computer restarts itself 80 percent of the cases, sometimes shuts down)

So I continued my workin efi from Catalina to modify to Monterey.

First issue, it was not clean for me to use the new and patches next to the old ones, or I should only use the new ones. I found 2-3 identical patches, so the logical was to only use the new ones. And also this was working.

I always stuck during installation with the ssd update process, could not trick it even with different smbioses. So installed the first step trough Catalina to the new SSD and I could boot into this partition, and monterey started.

Issues: I use OC 7.7. If I boot with the monterey efi I cannot see my Catalina ssd, only the new nvme. In monterey I cannot see any internal or usb drives, only the boot partition.

In system info/SATA I see my drives, but not in finder or in disk utility (pic attached)

My boot time is extremely long 6-8 minutes. As I booted with the -v flag, I saw it spends a lot of time with usb things 240sec timeouts 2 times followed. In this point if I removed usb units I saw the system reactions.

2.5G ethernet is working fine, with wifi I can connect, bluetooth maybe not working, but HDD issue is more important first to solve.

I would like to update to monterey to swap my video card to a 6800Xt -windows gaming reasons-(6700xt would be better and cheaper, but there are no drivers for that).

The best would be make working the rdna2 under Catalina, but I know.......

I use it for audio works. I have UAD what is used with firewire in Catalina, but the UAD thrower the firewire support in bigsur.... connection B would be thunderbolt, but this board is not capable for that.

BUT now I got a gigabyte alpine ridge card, and at the first boot I saw my connected THB drive to it under catalina, rebooted and it is gone. It is not working under windows, but for one startup it was working, really strange.First have to boot to win, soft restart and then catalina, I can see my thunderbolt harddrive, but doesn’t work with the UAD soundcard.

Monterey: I use SMBIOS iMacpro1.1. Catalina works super, here monterey my CPU speedstep is not working cpu goes and stucks only 3.7Ghz. If I change to iMac19.3 or earlier, speedstep is fine goes from 2.8-4.3Ghz.

Connected to this case: strange, if I boot to Catalina from external usb efi drive, speedstep never works, only if I boot from the nvme. And also not working if I restart from windows, have to shut down the computer totally.

Unsupported kexts: I tried to load the UAD firewire kext in the boot efi/kexts, but had no luck. It is not that easy to change values in the kext plist, and the system will allow to lad the old kexts? Maybe I m too naive in this era , because would be nice to keep using the firewire

NVRAM: with this motherboard I could not have native nvram, had to use the fake file method, I don't know if I was doing something wrong

Whole EFI partition is attached.

thankyou

Screen Shot 2022-01-16 at 15.25.29.png

Your config seems to be well done except for the last two kernel patches you use (Algrey and Shaneee fix pat patches... ) (also some quirk like increasePCIsizebar should not be useful(and if this is an updated OpenCore bootstrap folder is obsolete) 

All users with our platform don't need it

do you need of it?

I see you also use a DSDT..

where does it come from?

You are the first TRX40 user I see having a DSDT in ACPI

For problems you have post a debug log to see or if you can check that your MMIO list is updated correctly

when uploading the EFI you exclude the apple folder which is not needed

Thank you

Edited by fabiosun
(also some quirk like increasesizebar should not be useful(and if this is an updated OpenCore bootstrap folder is obsolete) 

• Supervisor

https://github.com/ic005k/QtOpenCoreConfig/issues/107

OCAT app

@ ic005k the app programmer is very willing to extend his app and I still hope that people with competence will help him!

Personally I'm trying to help make it fit for us too 

it's an interesting app!

Edited by fabiosun
and I still hope that people with competence will help him!

@gosiI don't know, you can update opencore to 0.7.7 and then upgrade to Monterey 12.1

I filed 2 posts above the OpenCore 0.7.7 update for Monterey.

You have noticed that the Intel I210 ethernet ports on the motherboard are no longer supported since Monterey.

• Like 1

@Arrakis Hi, thanks so much for sharing your EFI folder. I decided to try to install Monterey on my computer and I can't figured out why it is failing to do so. I'm not really good at hackintoshing, sorry. I just use your EFI and generated new SMBIOS and add npci=0x2000 boot arg. Before I tried EFI from this github repo https://github.com/luchina-gabriel/BASE-EFI-AMD-RYZEN-THREADRIPPER and installation stuck and rebooted on a same place when 12 minutes remaining. I followed exactly all instructions on that repo but no success. Then I found your EFI and decide to try it Since I have almost same hardware. My motherboard is Gigabyte TRx40 Master and I thought it will be fine to use your ASPI and oc config.plist. Could you please help me to find what could be cause of my problem?

Thank you.

Edited by shrisha