fabiosun

• Supervisor

For trx40 users (nostalgic users as @iGPUfriend said above) 🙂

Attached are all the patches you can try to convert to use with Clover Bootloader from v5124 or greater following this schema posted by Slice on IM:

251945361_ScreenShot2020-10-25at16_12_55.png.c2bf85b7c57f7426a5d4d978ce078a2d.png

Attached on this post also Original AMD-OSX Experimental patches for Opencore and all the declination for each existent OSX system now.

I left them in the opencore format like this, to use them you have to be really interested in it. 🙂 .

On IM, few volunteers are helping the sole developer in the titanic undertaking.

I personally do not participate as I do not share some things in the testing method adopted, but even if not directly involved, I try all the materials they produce both official and in beta.

The advice I can give is that the current versions have several bugs not tracked correctly, on all platforms but especially on ours.

However, with a little patience, with the materials available you can make everything work even on trx40.

I advise you, if you venture into this task ... use a config for each system you want to start.

There are some problems on the recognition of the OS, fundamental this point in order not to mess up the kernel patches we use! 😉

Edited by fabiosun
Patches removed..Clover has big bug in OSX detection so if you want to try..doing experiences by yourself is better
  • +1 2

Well a bit off topic but interesting 🤔 

today I noticed all of a sudden my 3970x was only reporting 16 cores in MacOS. After clean boot in windows confirmed. I reset Bios settings to default but no change, only after reflashing the bios and loading defaults I now have 32 cores again... 😳

Thanks @meina222, @Ploddles, and @fabiosun.

For future troubleshooters reading this thread, I can report that on my machine, if I don't enable the RebuildAppleMemoryMap and SyncRuntimePermissions booter quirks, grub hangs on "loading initial ramdisk..." if I try to boot Ubuntu through OpenCore. Having the quirks enabled allows me to use OpenCore to boot Ubuntu, and hasn't seemed to adversely affect booting into Catalina so far.

• +1 1

• Moderators

On 10/25/2020 at 1:11 AM, fabiosun said:

For trx40 users (nostalgic users as @iGPUfriend said above) 🙂

Hi all.

I got COVID two weeks ago. I self-treated at home and did well until this past weekend when the "cytokine storm" hit me (I was too conservative with steroid use). A 3-day hospital admission tuned me up and excluded some really serious stuff that I fortunately did not have (DVT/PE). I left hospital today; now back at home and reading this thread on my laptop with supplemental oxygen (and lots of steroids and blood thinners).

BTW, I sero-converted, meaning I now have antibodies to COVID. This means I now have natural immunity with no need for a vaccine. (The idea of herd immunity is to either naturally develop antibodies from COVID directly, or, develop antibodies by receiving a vaccine.)

Hopefully this week I'll get to use the TRX40 again. (Actually, it's been on for past 2 weeks as I was editing a video-documentary on it when I got sick and was unable to easily turn it off. Very stable machine!)

Edited by iGPU
  • Like 2
  • Cross Finger 8

@iGPU - glad to have you back and hope if you feel better.

It's interesting how this illness seems to linger around for more than a week and how self-isolation makes it more difficult for someone to assess if they are overcoming it, as you can't test your viral load and blood cytokine levels at home easily. With the way things are going, the probability of any of us being exposed goes higher by the day - can only hope this will become another "common cold" sooner rather than later. 

• +1 2

• Supervisor
5 hours ago, Ploddles said:

Big Sur 11.0.1 Beta has just been released. The Gold Master must be just days away, surely.

EDIT:-

And a new version (19H4) of Catalina 10.15.7.

not here for now in Catalina

Screenshot 2020-10-28 at 23.38.04.png

• Like 1

Checking in to see how y'all doing with TRX40 greatness, glad to see it's still thriving!

Ooooh those new AMD cards are juicy. Can't beat a 6800XT for it's price point (and availability haha). Wasn't the code for Big Navi 21 and some siblings already spotted in Big Sur earlies end of June? Would be neat to get them up and running quickly..!

(I see the last post got purged or something, I got 1 post :D)

Edited by Allubz

1 hour ago, Allubz said:

Checking in to see how y'all doing with TRX40 greatness, glad to see it's still thriving!

Ooooh those new AMD cards are juicy. Can't beat a 6800XT for it's price point (and availability haha). Wasn't the code for Big Navi 21 and some siblings already spotted in Big Sur earlies end of June? Would be neat to get them up and running quickly..!

Me thinks there will be better availability of used Radeon VIIs in the months to come.

• +1 1

• Supervisor
12 hours ago, Allubz said:

Hi it seems you have 2 accounts...

Isn't it?

Yep our admin did a simple verification

you have another account @AllubzV

if you lost your password you can recover it as usual way 😉

Have a nice day

• Like 2

On 10/28/2020 at 5:49 PM, fabiosun said:

@Jaidyit seems id of this card are inside Big Sur driver

but we have to wait to know more😉

you know @fabiosun, now I won't be asking if Nvidia cards are compatible with macOS any more 😛. I hope AMD (or someone else) writes a counterpart of CUDA for AMD GPUs which would make my life so much better!

Edited by Jaidy
  • whahahah 1

3 hours ago, fabiosun said:

Hi it seems you have 2 accounts...

Isn't it?

Yep our admin did a simple verification

you have another account @AllubzV

if you lost your password you can recover it as usual way 😉

Have a nice day

@fabiosunHah, ow, woops! I remember something going wrong there a while back. I'll stick to the account that actually has posts then 😄 Sorry for going offtopic. When all is ready, I'll jump on the B550 (Probably VISION D), 5900X, and 6800XT bandwagon. I got a feeling macOS support is going to be A-OK, so let's hope that holds up.

@ckrueger99 There's indeed a good chance of Radeon VII's coming available, but the people who have them would sell them to upgrade, and seeing their price point and thermal limitations, I think most new userse would opt for a 6800 (XT) as well. Still, the VII's are great cards!

@Jaidy This really is the drag between Apple and NVIDIA. NVIDIA writes all their stuff as closed-source as possible, so reverse-engineering an up-to-date driver for macOS, especially with full-feature support like CUDA, seems highly unlikely. AMD GPU's simply can't produce CUDA results, because they lack the specific cores in their architecture; it's NVIDIA-only as far as I know. AMD uses Stream Processors and Compute Units, which serve a similar function but are ran on OpenGL rather than CUDA. Besides, with the 6000-series AMD GPU's around the corner, there is little reason to prefer NVIDIA over its AMD counterpart.

18 hours ago, Allubz said:

Spinning like a top... just when I was on the edge of regret for going with a ThreadRIpper, I found a reference to this thread.  Best thing ever!

That's the card I'm looking for as well...  AMD is once again ready to kick some names and take some, uhhh oops.

• Like 1

• fabiosun changed the title to [Discussion] - TRX40 Bare Metal - Vanilla Patches