fabiosun

18 hours ago, Arrakis said:

Hello, Gigabyte has released its new firmware for the TRX40: AMD AGESA 1.0.0.5 Add Re-size bar option for AMD Smart Access Memory support. 😀

Will this revision on Designare run the Titan Ridge card without flashing now?

• Supervisor

No to all latest question

only for @Jaidythere is a conditionated yes (with a correct combination of bios new options system starts fine, but OSX should not be able to have some benefit for it..not sure about this) 😂

• Like 1

3 hours ago, fabiosun said:

No to all latest question

only for @Jaidythere is a conditionated yes (with a correct combination of bios new options system starts fine, but OSX should not be able to have some benefit for it..not sure about this) 😂

I have tried with the latest BIOS, but it boots to a black screen. Can you please tell me what settings to do in the BIOS?

• Supervisor

Post new Bios screenshot voice added for resize bar..

you have also to check if your mmio list is changed or not

23 minutes ago, Jaidy said:

I have tried with the latest BIOS, but it boots to a black screen. Can you please tell me what settings to do in the BIOS?

• Like 1

On 2/17/2021 at 7:40 AM, Driftwood said:

An interesting discovery: Whilst attempting to get OBS broadcasting software working with Baremetal and Decklink x8 speed PCIE card.

If you run the above under Bare Metal and booting from a m2 boot OS and your TRX40 Motherboard is fully populated with PCIE-E cards as well as shared NVME m2 drives there is a strong possibility that you will experience crashes and corruption or your PCIE card will not work correctly due to shared memory space switching.

I had been using an m2 Catalina boot drive which I discovered shared the same mem space as the x8 Decklink card. ie OBS or BMD Desktop Video Express wouldn't work correctly - no SDI inputs were showing video from cameras Id attached. Sometimes it would simply freeze. As you know, I have 2 x AMD Radeon VIIs in my machine (thats two x16 pcie slots), a Fireface 800 on a Firewire card (using x4 PCIE lane but occupying x8 in BIOS) plus the Decklink 8K Pro (which requires a x8 PCIE). Add that to the shared m2 slots and you can see theres going to be corruption or problems like above when trying to get the cameras to show in OBS or write to hard drive.  Indeed, I experienced partition errors whilst trying to use the m2 boot with all those PCIes.

However, if I booted to a SATA boot drive copy of my Catalina OS the Decklink card was fine - everything worked and never crashed. I could still write back to the m2 drives but the fact that I was using a SATA boot (that wasnt shared on the PCIe lanes) meant I had no mem / PCIE crashes or freezes.

So, please remember to bare in mind if you are fully using all m2 slots, and all PCIE lanes (inc Thunderbolt) GPUs, sound cards etc... that you may experience problems on your boot drive or other memory clashes/freezes.

So in my case, now I only use a SATA boot drive for the OS and  I do all my speed writing (encoding/drive intensive stuff) to m2 drives which are NOT sharing memory with PCIe lanes.

Lesson learned.

Update: Also, some programs (and games like Steam CS:Go) work in BM from a SATA drive but NOT from a m2 boot drive!

* With Proxmox  it kinda works, but I was getting the occasional glitch using Decklink and all pass thru PCIes. Sometimes the Decklink would just 'lose' camera inputs or the device just went missing.

So for me Bare Metal works best on a SATA boot. End of.

@Driftwood,

I noticed this limitation a while ago - on the Gigabyte BIOS-es this causes D4 PCI resource allocation error and refuses to boot. I never researched the exact topology/PCI lanes, but the TRX40 chipset is definitely not as good as the Intel Xeon ones for many PCI devices. On this topic, as of now, WRX80 is available, which should have 7 x16 PCI slots, but unfortunately requires you to also swap your Threadripper for a Threadripper Pro.

Edited by meina222

37 minutes ago, meina222 said:

@Driftwood,

I noticed this limitation a while ago - on the Gigabyte BIOS-es this causes D4 PCI resource allocation error and refuses to boot. I never researched the exact topology/PCI lanes, but the TRX40 chipset is definitely not as good as the Intel Xeon ones for many PCI devices. On this topic, as of now, WRX80 is available, which should have 7 x16 PCI slots, but unfortunately requires you to also swap your Threadripper for a Threadripper Pro.

@meina222 @Driftwood 

I have the exact same problem. D4 error on the motherboard display.

This problem arose when I added the second GPU.

1 GPU + Thunderbold Card (plugged in: 1 Blackmagic UltraStudio 4K Mini & 1 Promise Pegasus) + 3 M.2: No boot error.

2 GPU + Thunderbold Card (plugged in: 1 Blackmagic UltraStudio 4K Mini & 1 Promise Pegasus) + 3 M.2: D4 boot error.

2 GPU + Thunderbold Card (plugged in: 1 Blackmagic UltraStudio 4K Mini & 1 Promise Pegasus) + 2 M.2: No boot error.

I don't have time at the moment, but there is a possibility in the bios not to leave the PCIE ports in Auto. I will do the test a little later.

17 hours ago, ckrueger99 said:

@ckrueger99 I do not think so😶

17 hours ago, ckrueger99 said:

@ckrueger99 I do not think so.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, meina222 said:

@Driftwood,

Whats weird though is EVERYTHING is fine when booting from a SATA boot drive (a mirror of my m2 boot). But when I boot from the M2 mirror its only then I get problems. So SATA is overriding, and m2 is causing interrupt problems.

We should never really run out of PCI lanes in my scenario. 64 for the CPU and 8 for the chipset TRX40 - 72. Unless its something to do with the downlink from the cpu to chipset because the chipset is populated to 12 PCIe devices...which makes getting to the bottom of this problem very difficult.

Having noticed the new thread ripper pro supports 128 pcie lanes... it may well be time to upgrade!!!

Edited by Driftwood

I found minor issue updating bios

Update Gigabyte TRX40 Designare (ver 1.0 not 1.1) to F4p macOS starts to boot but stops at 30-40 percent, hangs

works fine on f4i

I leave memory bar disabled

5 hours ago, Foster said:

I found minor issue updating bios

Update Gigabyte TRX40 Designare (ver 1.0 not 1.1) to F4p macOS starts to boot but stops at 30-40 percent, hangs

works fine on f4i

I leave memory bar disabled

Are you running Big Sur or Catalina?

After updating to F4p on the Aorus Xtreme I found I could boot into Catalina but not Big Sur. I used one of my old OC Debug version (0.6.2) USBs  and checked the MMIO values in the report and found that they had not changed at all.

It stumped me for a while until I decided to double check the Debug report and I ran it again. Only then did I realise that when I checked the earlier report I had looked at the wrong one, an older version. Doh 🤬

With every BIOS update prior to this one the MMIO values remained the same so I wasn't surprised they hadn't changed when I checked. Fortunately I am off for my eye sight test later today, totally coincidental. 😀

Indeed the MMIO values had all changed. As soon as I updated my config.plist with the new values it booted fine into both Catalina and Big Sur.

This has been verified by another user on here with the same MB, he can also boot fine with the new MMIO values.

I just need to put together a new zip file for the sight so @fabiosuncan update the OP so anyone else with the same MB can download it to get them started.

• Thanks 1

@fabiosunPlease find attached the latest Opencore 0.6.7 EFI for the Aorus Xtreme, for use with BIOS version F4p. With this latest BIOS most of the MIMO whitelisting value have changed, without these changes Big Sur will not boot. Catalina will boot but won't shut down.

Edited by fabiosun
EFI removed (added in OP)
  • +1 2

BIOS f4p is a major PITA for the Designare. I can no longer reboot my Proxmox host w/out hanging w BIOS code 9A. I need to power cycle the PC by turning it off (reset does  not work). Something with the release of USB controller by guest VM does not play nicely with the re-initialization of BIOS. Total garbage, lots of people are complaining by f4p on the Gigabyte US forum.

To top if off (not related to f4p as the same happens on f4h) - I was shocked to find out today I am unable to install Windows 10 bare metal. I never had Windows 10 outside of a VM attempted on this motherboard, so I wanted to try my dual GPU 3090 setup for ML (I have pretty much stepped away from MacOS for the time being till Radeon 6000 cards get drivers) and shockingly the setup failed - both latest Win 10 iso and 2004 versions. This person describes the same problem plus a proposed crazy solution, which almost worked but not quite. I can't believe I cannot install Windows in 2021 on a PC chipset that has been out for more than a year now. Gigabyte, AMD and Microsoft suck 😠.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-fresh-install-fails/f9614ae4-6dbd-4715-9a81-8586b16dfaf7

Edited by meina222

• Supervisor
13 hours ago, Ploddles said:

@fabiosunPlease find attached the latest Opencore 0.6.7 EFI for the Aorus Xtreme, for use with BIOS version F4p. With this latest BIOS most of the MIMO whitelisting value have changed, without these changes Big Sur will not boot. Catalina will boot but won't shut down.

EFI.zip 40.78 MB · 2 downloads

added on OP 

thank you

@meina222

Solution proposed in your link was used also by me in the past to install windows on my MSI

I had no idea of this  problem because when I have changed my rig from intel to AMD windows system booted fine by itself without any special modify by me (only to latest step I have installed AMD chipset drivers

I think is a more "global" problem then if AMD (TRX40) users have to instal from scratch with not default bios condition)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, fabiosun said:

added on OP 

thank you

@meina222

Solution proposed in your link was used also by me in the past to install windows on my MSI

I had no idea of this  problem because when I have changed my rig from intel to AMD windows system booted fine by itself without any special modify by me (only to latest step I have installed AMD chipset drivers

I think is a more "global" problem then if AMD (TRX40) users have to instal from scratch with not default bios condition)

What is the link to the OP?

• Supervisor

sorry @ckrueger99for international convention 🙂

OP means original post (also sometimes original poster)..usually is the first message in a thread you are seeing 🙂

56 minutes ago, ckrueger99 said:

What is the link to the OP?

https://www.macos86.it/topic/3307-trx40-bare-metal-vanilla-patches-yes-it-worksbutproxmox-is-better/?do=findComment&comment=82322

• Haha 1

@fabiosun,

So this 'solution' almost worked for me, but just in the end during the "updating" (after copying all files) phase it still failed with the same error and I could not boot from the target drive still. This trick certainly did something as before the installer could not even start copying the installation files. Other people suggest that one needs to unplug all drives but the target nvme and try the install, but I am not disassembling my entire system because of this. I even tried to install from an old SSD instead of USB as the installation drive - same issue. This is an almost laughable situation - how is one supposed to do a clean Windows install? Do they even test these chipsets before they release them? The irony is Gigabyte officially supports only Windows - if you ever try to point out you have Linux, they will not answer your concerns, yet Linux is the one system that works reliably on this board, except for the USB re-initialization issues when released by VMs.

• Supervisor

before using a trick (similar you have posted here), I have to unplug always my disk..end I have all data and nvme and also a nvme on pcie card..

I thought it was a my only problem..but it is not so...

I was so desperate to build a clean windows setup in proxmox and the use it rebuilding proper boot with a repair windows boot option

TRX40...for this is a big fail

OT @meina222

two 3090 GPU?? 🙂

post some benchmark with Davinci Resolve if you can :)))))

Ultimately I managed to finish the install by passing the target nvme to my Windows VM and running the initial install from the installer iso from there, then finishing on the bare metal itself. What a mess.

@fabiosun

Yes, I decided to keep the 2 3090 FE cards I got a few weeks back at MSRP. Was debating re-selling one or both, but decided to do some GPU compute learning. Set them up in SLI (not sure if that helps with any apps), but took me a while to install them as I didn't want any water cooling and struggled to find a case to run them in Slot 2 and 4 (settled on a BeQuiet 900 Pro in inverted layout and some minor mods - picture is upside down for some reason). I wanted to keep my x16 slot free for my 4x4x4x4 raid NVMEs. Was a challenging re-do of my build.

Finally done with Windows baremetal - what benchmarks would you like to see?

IMG_6525.thumb.jpg.c4e1dd653edc4dd6da412308eb9fa87b.jpg

Edited by meina222
  • Like 2
  • +1 1

• fabiosun changed the title to [Discussion] - TRX40 Bare Metal - Vanilla Patches