Gigabyte Titan Ridge on Proxmox/OSX baremetal (WIP)

fabiosun

• Supervisor

not curious IMHO

I think it is related with PCIE slot sharing lines with NVME

and this could be a problem

it should be to try to detach all name disk only a star disk and GPU and TB card to see

• Like 1
  • +1 1

• Moderators
3 hours ago, fabiosun said:

not curious IMHO

I think it is related with PCIE slot sharing lines with NVME

and this could be a problem

it should be to try to detach all name disk only a star disk and GPU and TB card to see

I realize that it's due to lane sharing. (I wrote extensively about this same on the X570 build on the AMD OS X forum and here, section 6.)

I wrote about the SF0 issue so that other users can check other mobos for a similar response. I think they will find the same result as this most likely is a function of the TRX40 chip.

What I think it might suggest, is a technique to de-populate the SF0 device. In other words, if SF0 is populated, we can simply add NVMe drives (maybe a small one for Proxmox?; small ones are inexpensive) to attempt to move things out of SF0. This will facilitate writing SSDT for the non-SF0 devices.

• Supervisor
4 hours ago, meina222 said:

@fabiosun

Which of these EEPROM programmers would you recommend. Or maybe either one is fine?

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=CH341A+EEPROM&rh=n%3A172282%2Cp_76%3A1249137011&dc&qid=1597280797&rnid=1249135011&ref=sr_nr_p_76_1

I have used this:

https://www.amazon.com/KeeYees-SOIC8-EEPROM-CH341A-Programmer/dp/B07SHSL9X9/

with this it is possible to have 3,3v and you do not have  to desolder stuff (for me without tools and experience would be impossible to do)

1975201188_61FtH4NR3ZL._AC_SL1001_copy.jpg.1dc8a84768d8ae80bf6b044d3bb031e8.jpg

inserting red oval pin in red square position on programmer you can measure 3,2/3,3 v

instead, inserting it in green square position you have an higher voltage measure of about 5,5 v (and this maybe is not good)

then following the instructions posted (@igpu) you have to install software to flash and you can do all easily..I have flashed multiple time without any problems

• Like 2

I ordered the flash rom device. Should get it by early next week and will then try the TB. I'm in a long discussion with Gigabyte support trying to figure how to make it work in Slot 4 of my motherboard - an issue for all GB TRX40 users who also want to use the NVME 4x4x4x4 adapter as it causes PCIE resource problems.

Edited by meina222

I noticed this mentioned on GB forums

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08BC11XW8/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_GA3pFbDFSJTQD

Is Gigabyte ditching the Titan Ridge in favor of an Intel chipset? Name still says TR but lists Intel's brand on the chipset. No USB ports from visual inspection and different chipset  (original one didn't have USB either - seems identical visually but different revision) . Given the many problems this card is causing for various people I wonder if they decided to move in a different direction.

Edited by meina222

• 2 weeks later...

@fabiosun, @iGPU - time to inject some life into this topic.

So I have this at hand (have had it for more than 2 weeks now waiting to finally have Gigabyte fix their BIOS and enable me to run it in the slot I wanted to - Slot 4, for aesthetic and practical reasons - and they finally delivered).

https://www.amazon.com/KeeYees-SOIC8-EEPROM-CH341A-Programmer/dp/B07SHSL9X9#customerReviews

So the thing of course comes with no manual whatsoever and I found a few online videos showing how to use it, but they are not perfect. Reading online and following @fabiosun's advice, I am supposed to use 3.3V and then there are at least 5 or 6 BIOS versions floating around and on top one needs SSDT and (maybe?) disable SIP?

On BIOS flash 1st:

I don't have voltage meter. How do you make sure you have 3.3V? By default there is a jumper shorting 2 pins on the EEPROM programmer board. Are they reliable? I read somewhere BIOS elias64f NVM33 is "best". Is that recommended?

On SSDT and SIP:

Do I need to unseal my Big Sur volume following @iGPU's guide to disable SIP? Is it even needed? And after that, what's the challenge? Maybe I can try it on the Designare and see if I get any different results. I can start with passing thru TB video to my TB3 monitor but later want to get TB3 external GPU  for compute tasks.

p.s.

ugh 😞 Do I have to do this? I was hoping it'd be easier as Amazon says 3.3V/5V

image.png.e11770eb9c4bebb6e7f30b50edacc355.png

Edited by meina222

Yes, but I did not use the white wires he soldered on the board. Technically, you should use a volt meter and check voltage, but I got lazy and did it anyways. Flashed twice, no problem using 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07SHSL9X9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and the clip + the 25XXX green PCB oriented correctly ('1' on the PCB facing the lever on the lever side and red wire routed from 1 to the BLUE dot on the chip).

I would 1st watch this video and then check the video from the German gentleman.

• +1 1

@fabiosun - I decided to try 1st DESIGNARE-Z390-NVM33-Elias64Fr.bin

Initially I flashed NVM23 modified (I should have probably left it alone at this point as it showed correctly in my TB section of System Report and it showed 2 new network interfaces) but then I read several people praising the NVM33 which is an image from a on-board Designare TB and works well according to these people on the AIC ver 1.0 card I have. I still see TB 2x20 in my summary and I see network bridge in ETH, but I no longer see extra interfaces. Not too concerned about bridging, I want for now to just have it working on my TB monitor.

No SSDT yet. Lots of SSDT's out there. Any consensus on what works best?

Edited by meina222

• Supervisor

I have tested many firmware for me the best one is the first you tried

to achieve best speed you have to build a ssdt

i can’t help there 

monitor should work I think

i see all ports available only flashing with patched firmware

but maybe I am wrong on this @meina222

ot

if you can could you try cb15 I have posted on bare metal thread in vm and I bare metal?

only gpu test thank you

• Like 1

Trying to follow this guide to generate my SSDT:

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/success-gigabyte-designare-z390-thunderbolt-3-i7-9700k-amd-rx-580.267551/page-2343#post-2148640

@fabiosun apologies for pasting yet another external link, but it seems these people have dived very deep into this matter so it might be useful. I am matching my ROM to this guide. We'll see what happens.

I think I need @iGPU's help as I have no idea how this SSDT is supposed to work.

I tried compiling one based on the link above, matching my ROM and my PCI path, but it doesn't seem to have any effect.

Attaching IOReg and SSDT I tried to use. @iGPU - any input on SSDT is much appreciated. For me this is right now pattern matching without really understanding the details. 

SSDT-TBOLT3-2.aml.zipMyMacPro.zip

• Supervisor

589535787_ScreenShot2020-09-06at07_37_50.png.77699d0260b4d64eb7a6a4075fa32a14.png

from your ioreg this seems a big improvments

and maybe your claim with Gigabyte have had some success 🙂

1609978303_ScreenShot2020-09-06at07_38_56.png.002361a1edf02fedcee6148b40384574.png

here instead you miss much data and also in general renaming is not working

could you post an ioreg without using any SSDT for thunderbolt?

• Like 1