Proxmox VE OSX Guide discussion

fabiosun

@fabiosun Thanks, that stuff helped... GPU passthrough seems to be working as the guest is taking over the GPU for the boot.

Now the problem has morphed to the NVME not working, giving me an ASPT error that it wasn't doing last night. This leads the VM to boot to the UEFI Interactive Shell V2.2 with missing items in the mapping table.

Is there anything important I need to do like unpackaging deb files like from Pavo's build?

Hello everyone.

I have 2 GPU's. But i was thinking of using one in another system for my VR setup in the living room. I'm really waiting on the Big Navi for my main system too have 2 GPUs. I don't play video games to much. But will use windows in the ProxM VM. But would my Vega Frontier Edition be OK for now? And use it for the mac and windows side? Until the Navi is released to add to the system to have two GPU's running.  Thank you for the advice.

• Moderators
6 hours ago, Driftwood said:

Whats the best water cooler system for the ASRock Creator anyone? Im currently running air with the Noctua NH-U14S TR4-SP3 fans.

I think one of the best, and not too expensive, if modified (there are on-line references as to how), is the one I referenced earlier in this thread (here) and is in my signature.

• Moderators
3 hours ago, TheDaemonBarber said:

@fabiosun Thanks, that stuff helped... GPU passthrough seems to be working as the guest is taking over the GPU for the boot.

Now the problem has morphed to the NVME not working, giving me an ASPT error that it wasn't doing last night. This leads the VM to boot to the UEFI Interactive Shell V2.2 with missing items in the mapping table.

Is there anything important I need to do like unpackaging deb files like from Pavo's build?

When trouble shooting, you want to keep things as simple as possible. For me, this means not passing any GPU, but staying in Console mode in the GUI.

Also, I'd not pass any USB audio or SATA devices, but instead only pass the minimum: keyboard/mouse USB, Ethernet port, and your NVMe drive (I think I read you already have this created and have a proper EFI installed on it). When commenting out the GPU address in the VM config file, remember to also reset "vga: none" to "vga: vmware". It also seems useful to have "tablet: 0". And if you're booting directly to your NVMe drive, have "boot: d" (not "bootdisk: ide2").

The next item to check is your blacklist config file (nano /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf). It needs very little. I'm only entering in this file: blacklist nouveau, blacklist nvidia,  and blacklist nvidiafb. Do not enter "amdgpu" else you can shut down terminal entry on the host side.

Another problem you might be having is which drive you're actually selecting in the Proxmox opening window (see Spoiler below). Press <Esc> key during progress bar to enter and be able to select the boot drive (it should be your NVMe's EFI partition). Within this you can also use the Boot Manager to permanently fix the selection so it will automatically, correctly select the proper drive each time you boot the VM. (I would also not auto-boot until all things are running perfectly; that is, "onboot: 0", not "1".)

Spoiler

ProxmoxBootWindow.jpg.5363efd0e87e5ebd7d5ad332972bbcfb.jpg

Once you can successfully boot and fiddle around in macOS at this stage, then go back into your VM config file and re-set items to pass the GPU. Once that's working, the address USB and SATA issues.

Your signature indicates that your primary GPU is the 5700XT. This GPU has had some issues with black screens in Catalina. You should probably have in OpenCore, the boot argument "agdpmod=pikera"; this has been helpful for some 5700XT users. The black screen problem  has been particularly keen during Catalina install in those using the 5700XT (as I recall, esp for the 10.15.4 release).

Edited by iGPU

Just got this through from ASRock Tech Support:-) Fat load of good they are!

Hello,

Please note that this motherboard officially supports only Windows 10:

https://www.asrock.com/MB/AMD/TRX40%20Creator/index.asp#Specification

I will ask a colleague in Taiwan if he has some idea. Thanks.

Kind regards,

ASRock Support

ASRock Europe B.V.

Bijsterhuizen 1111

6546AR Nijmegen

The Netherlands

• Supervisor
Just now, Driftwood said:

Just got this through from ASRock Tech Support:-) Fat load of good they are!

Hello,

Please note that this motherboard officially supports only Windows 10:

https://www.asrock.com/MB/AMD/TRX40%20Creator/index.asp#Specification

I will ask a colleague in Taiwan if he has some idea. Thanks.

Kind regards,

ASRock Support

ASRock Europe B.V.

Bijsterhuizen 1111

6546AR Nijmegen

The Netherlands

And what was your question to them?

by the way

asrock Taiwan in the past did for me an unlocked bios (msr related) and they asked me if I was using for OSX 🙂

• Like 1

• Supervisor
Dear Customer,

Thanks for your mail and feedback.

Have a nice day.
ASRock TSD
寄件日期: 2014年1月21日 下午 02:11
收件者: Asrock TSD
主旨: Re: Re Cold boot problem

Thank you for your fast answer.
Yes i would like to install osx 10.9.2
I have ha success with your 3.90 firmware having OSX working perfectly with X79 Extreme 9 and xeon v2 cpu
i have only limited osx speedstep control
with msr unlock should be ok
today i will try
with 3.90 firmware all is working except game blaster audio, it is not supported
thank you again

Inviato da iPhone

> Il giorno 21/gen/2014, alle ore 05:10, Asrock TSD <Asrock_TSD@asrock.com.tw> ha scritto:
>
> Dear Customer,
>
> Thanks for contacting ASRock.
>
> Please update BIOS L3.91 from attached file for try, it unlock the specific bit of MSR.
> Can you tell us what's the application of that, install Mac OS?
>
> Thanks for your mail.
>
> Cheers,
> ASRock TSD

OT 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

*** NEW BETA BIOS from ASRock for Creator TRX40 ***

So I got a response from ASRock today - a new beta BIOS  with AGESA 1.004! - lets give it a whirl...

----

Hello,

Attached please find a zip with beta BIOS 1.63, based on AGESA CastlePeakPI-1.0.0.4.

Any difference?

Kind regards,

ASRock Support

TRX40 Creator L1.63.zip

• Ok 1

19 minutes ago, fabiosun said:

firewire video is not more reachable..may I delete the message or you can put a valid link again on?

Yeah I'll edit it with password link. 

Done! Just dont want regulars to see that video! 

Edited by Driftwood
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Driftwood said:

*** NEW BETA BIOS from ASRock for Creator TRX40 ***

So I got a response from ASRock today - a new beta BIOS  with AGESA 1.004! - lets give it a whirl...

----

Hello,

Attached please find a zip with beta BIOS 1.63, based on AGESA CastlePeakPI-1.0.0.4.

Any difference?

Kind regards,

ASRock Support

TRX40 Creator L1.63.zip 6.5 MB · 0 downloads

I wanted to read the notes for what was changed for this update. But it does not download as a zip file. maybe it my side. 

On 6/9/2020 at 3:15 PM, cj750 said:

I wanted to read the notes for what was changed for this update. But it does not download as a zip file. maybe it my side.

No notes supplied. Just the bios file entitled: TRX4CTR1.63

Yeah, I'd asked for new Agesa and told them about a few problems we are experiencing already mentioned in this group.

Edited by Driftwood

2 hours ago, fabiosun said:

@cj750they gave that beta bios in a private form to @DriftwoodI think he asked for new AGESA

Usually they do not give any cangement txt in this way

Makes since.

Well small update. My system is booting a working version of the latest version. I didn't change to much. Only issue i have is passing my GPU. I'm getting black screen. But i think it because I'm using HDMI and not a display ports. I should be getting cable tomorrow so we will see if this helps. But I tried all the option for other having the black screen with no luck. Cable issue is only other option.

2 hours ago, Driftwood said:

No notes supplied. Just the bios file entitled: TRX4CTR1.63

Well cant wait to see what you find out or what it changes. I call that a Easter egg file.

• Supervisor
1 minute ago, cj750 said:

Makes since.

Well small update. My system is booting a working version of the latest version. I didn't change to much. Only issue i have is passing my GPU. I'm getting black screen. But i think it because I'm using HDMI and not a display ports. I should be getting cable tomorrow so we will see if this helps. But I tried all the option for other having the black screen with no luck. Cable issue is only other option.

frontier or rx580?

UEFIi GFX bios available?

Have you tested with a "rom" option?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fabiosun said:

frontier or rx580?

UEFIi GFX bios available?

Have you tested with a "rom" option?

frontier

With and without Rom. No change. And UEFI was selected.

Okay, I begin the check of the 1.63 Beta BIOS for ASRock Creator...

trx40 creator 1.63.jpg

Oh wow! Restart bug seems very nearly solved though it did error at Proxmox screen on reboot before restarting the boot process and getting me into the desktop. However, the screen display was all off colour (my background facial image had gone blue!), then an error kicked in saying Id lost Internet/ethernet down. Followed by the report APIC below 🙂 Theyre getting closer to fixing this shutdown bug. BTW Im not using any hook scripts yet. * BIOS settings were default apart from CSM=Disabled and Above 4G Enabled, plus XMP 1 profile on the 3600 memory.

Here's the crash report that the Mac Pro Proxintosh gave:- Aquantia crashed, screen went blue and and a tad laggy.

740542531_ScreenShot2020-06-09at18_12_51.png.ba87442ca5f0019952273560ae25789c.png

Edited by Driftwood