Proxmox VE OSX Guide discussion

fabiosun

11 minutes ago, iGPU said:

I see no other style FireWire cards to order... Every single one has the Cheetah bridge.

It seems its like this one... hmmm LSI643 Truefire is in my 4c:00 lspci listing. I bought it a long time ago.

Chipset LSI LW643

https://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/startech.com_3_port_2b_1a_low_profile_1394_pci_express_firewire_card_adapte_pex1394b3lp/version.asp?refsource=ldadwords&mkwid=sghpO99t9_dc&pcrid=293700874314&product=PEX1394B3LP&pgrid=59244711832&ptaid=pla-363324503738&channel=search&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIwYa056vu6QIVFWHmCh0TTAjGEAQYAyABEgJOvvD_BwE#!#specs

Edited by Driftwood

16 minutes ago, iGPU said:

Did you say earlier that you got this kext from PAVO? This is the first that I've heard of 2.5GB devices working on Hackintoshes

I found the linux driver and got Pavo to sort the coding. Its on the Realtek site too but I noticed it here first: https://github.com/heri16/r8125

Also, Im passing the Aquantia, and using Realtek8125 for Proxmox Host. The reason was it kept getting screwed up on Proxmox install. Whatever happens you need to get the Aquantia to accept DHCP on the Mac VM. Proxmox has this habit of 'losing' one of the nics or offering a Mac address IPv6 address and only one gets the 198.162.1.134, which often is the Aquantia. This is why I had the idea which I gave to Pavo for it to be reprogrammed  to work in Proxmox to its true device ID and not the 'compatible'.

Edited by Driftwood

1 hour ago, TheDaemonBarber said:

I'm going to be going through the BIOS with a fine tooth comb soon, so if anyone can save me any time with some tips, I'd be very grateful.

I installed with Load UEFI defaults and disabled csm, thats all.

Edited by Driftwood

networkNow.png.4bc22a61e3727ca597ffb39f80e49584.png

Realtek now gets 134 every time. Aquantia is addressed by DHCP VM Mac side.

root@pve:~# ip a
1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 65536 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN group default qlen 1000
    link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00
    inet 127.0.0.1/8 scope host lo
       valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
    inet6 ::1/128 scope host 
2: enp70s0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast master vmbr0 state UP group default qlen 1000
    link/ether a8:a1:59:16:33:85 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
3: vmbr0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc noqueue state UP group default qlen 1000
    link/ether a8:a1:59:16:33:85 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
    inet 192.168.1.134/24 brd 192.168.1.255 scope global vmbr0
    inet6 2a00:23c6:ab84:8b01:aaa1:59ff:fe16:3385/64 scope global dynamic mngtmpaddr 
       valid_lft 315279372sec preferred_lft 315279372sec
    inet6 fd65:76f8:30e8:1:aaa1:59ff:fe16:3385/64 scope global dynamic mngtmpaddr 
    inet6 fe80::aaa1:59ff:fe16:3385/64 scope link 

Once you are Mac side, go to Network in System Preferences - the Aquantia is seen under DHCP, check  Advanced, switch on 10G mode 🙂

Using DHCP - gets any address the rateway-router offers it.png

10GAquantia.png

Edited by Driftwood

• Moderators
4 hours ago, Driftwood said:

I found the linux driver and got Pavo to sort the coding. Its on the Realtek site too but I noticed it here first: https://github.com/heri16/r8125

Also, Im passing the Aquantia, and using Realtek8125 for Proxmox Host. The reason was it kept getting screwed up on Proxmox install. Whatever happens you need to get the Aquantia to accept DHCP on the Mac VM. Proxmox has this habit of 'losing' one of the nics or offering a Mac address IPv6 address and only one gets the 198.162.1.134, which often is the Aquantia. This is why I had the idea which I gave to Pavo for it to be reprogrammed  to work in Proxmox to its true device ID and not the 'compatible'.

I had problems with the Aquantia not accepting DHCP. My network is based on 192.168.x.x and it would come up with odd-ball 192.247.x.x. When I assigned it manually, it wouldn't stick or else it wouldn't connect. The I211 works without any issues.

• Moderators

I kept getting odd freezes, so I went ahead and replaced the CPU. The new CPU seems to be working well. I also updated the BIOS (thanks fabiosun for pointing it out).

One set of SATA has been passed. It seems that SATA ports 4-5-6 are assigned to address 49:00.0, while the lower numbered group, SATA 1-2-3, are assigned to 4a:00.0 (which comes after 49:00.0): so the addresses are reversed to the SATA numbering.

fabiosun, I recall you asking us to provide DSDT files from bare metal and VM for comparison. Attached are mine for the MSI-TRX40-Creator. These are now easily made, starting with final release of OpenCore v059, using the Debug version.

DSDT-MSI-Creator.zip

• Like 1

• Supervisor

@Rocket88

you do not need to have another pc to boot VM in proxmox

for trx40 and also x570 user is possible to do in different way we are usual to see in traditional proxmox guide.

if you see a my early video you can see i use both method. Automatic vm boot and manual boot launching from my amd rig qm start 100

you have to play with stuff you block in blacklist.conf file.

i think also all of you could achieve the same

we do not need many things we find in canonic way to set proxmox.

you have to try by yourself to believe.😁

About 99 code error

it is a not good thing and i havent ever had it in my rig

maybe it is related to Amd gpu, or to internal wifi bluetooth i have not

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, fabiosun said:

@Rocket88

you do not need to have another pc to boot VM in proxmox

for trx40 and also x570 user is possible to do in different way we are usual to see in traditional proxmox guide.

if you see a my early video you can see i use both method. Automatic vm boot and manual boot launching from my amd rig qm start 100

you have to play with stuff you block in blacklist.conf file.

i think also all of you could achieve the same

we do not need many things we find in canonic way to set proxmox.

you have to try by yourself to believe.😁

About 99 code error

it is a not good thing and i havent ever had it in my rig

maybe it is related to Amd gpu, or to internal wifi bluetooth i have not

Video or guide?

• Supervisor

In this video you can see in framed window what happen if you blacklist stuff

in big window you can see my actual situation (bad graphics in small windows is now solved using OpenCore bootloaderas I discovered time ago 🙂 )

for the guide you can follow link you find in OP of this thread

• Like 1

• Supervisor

and this link can be useful to understand how I proceeded when I understood the situation better.

However, it is important to follow the main guide to learn some (or presumed) bases for me 🙂

• Like 1

• Supervisor
7 hours ago, Driftwood said:

I installed with Load UEFI defaults and disabled csm, thats all.

Also SVV stuff in bios should be mandatory to boot Proxmox VM and some stuff in IOMMU (it is in auto and it is good)

• Like 1

• Supervisor
3 hours ago, iGPU said:

I had problems with the Aquantia not accepting DHCP. My network is based on 192.168.x.x and it would come up with odd-ball 192.247.x.x. When I assigned it manually, it wouldn't stick or else it wouldn't connect. The I211 works without any issues.

if you have only an ethernet cable connect seems to be impossible to have both internet navigation and web interface access ..

I did some tries but deleting vmxnet in config and passing Aquantia (which is the same I have installed proxmox) Aquantia take IP address of "web interface" so it is not possible to reach Proxmox Host

if I manually insert a different IP I can navigate on the web but always web interface is not reachable (or vice versa)

I stay with vmxnet which is bridged with my acquantia

I have a little experience in this field so my "finding" could not be so accurate

• Like 1

Tried a ton of different BIOS settings, including BIOS defaults. Nothing is working, and I'm still getting this error.

EB|`B:WFDW] Err(0xE), 0 @ LocHB 71B4903C-14EC-42C4-BDC6-CE1449930E49

With 4G encoding, it turns out that it just speeds up the boot of the VM. With it on, it gets to the Proxmox boot screen, and then the Opencore error in about 10seconds. With Above 4G encoding turned off, the black screen sits for about 4minutes before the Proxmox logo pops up, and then it lets me select the Mac drive to boot, and then the error.

I think I'm going to try making a new Proxmox install on a separate drive and try from scratch. So weird.

20 minutes ago, TheDaemonBarber said:

I think I'm going to try making a new Proxmox install on a separate drive and try from scratch. So weird.

Try an earlier version of Proxmox like 6.1 or a 5, then update to latest later. 

Which file system did you guys install Proxmox on? Do you use zfs? I installed on default but notice when I disable csm the grub blue screen builds up really slow. I think it is not on UEFI while the boot menu selection states it is...?

53 minutes ago, Driftwood said:

Whats the best water cooler system for the ASRock Creator anyone? Im currently running air with the Noctua NH-U14S TR4-SP3 fans.

Toms Hardware says the best overall AIO cooler is the Cooler Master M360R, definitely a contributing reason I got one.

https://www.tomshardware.com/uk/reviews/best-cpu-coolers,4181-2.html

That one is for AM4 and all the other smaller chips, but they do make a bigger one for Threadripper:

https://www.coolermaster.com/catalog/coolers/cpu-liquid-coolers/masterliquid-ml360-rgb-tr4/

Re-install Proxmox troubles...

I want to do the new Proxmox re-install as manually as possible, so I'm avoiding Pavo's script he has kindly provided on his 3950X build.

2 Main questions.

1. Are there patches I need, and how do I get them and apply them, without using his script? (I want to know so it's not relying on someone else's automatic system).
  2. I can't get the GPU on the Host to 'turn off' on boot, to reveal the 2 lines like it should on a working passthrough setup.

Here's what I did so far...

• Installed Proxmox
  • Enabled "IOMMU with amd_iommu=on" in grub
  • dmesg returns IOMMU groups.
  • Added the vfio lines to /etc/modules
  • Found the various Device ID codes and added them to the VM.CONF
  • GPU, USB etc. As per my previous install that was passing them through.
  • Added the same ID codes to /etc/modprobe.d/vfio.conf
  • Again same as the previous Proxmox install.
  • Added the blacklisted radeon, amdgpu, and intel sound drivers from the graphics cards to the blacklist.
  • Added "options kvm ignore_msrs=1 report_ignored_msrs=0" to KVM.conf
  • Updated grub and initramfs
  • Reboot, and still Proxmox goes to command line, instead of the 2 lines which shows GPU passthrough is working...

What am I missing? It seems I followed all the steps in the various guides I can see.

• Supervisor

@TheDaemonBarberwhy are you saying passthrough is not working?

two line (locked at two initial lines) or a verbose pointing to a proxmox shell is the same..and I advice to be able to reach always Proxmox shell..in this way you can avoid in a future to have the need of using a spare pc or tablet to do minimal corrections if you need

Take a look to my files you can understand better..

This is my working AMD

if you want to block with only two lines..try to block also nouveau...but I repeat do not need of this blocking in modern system

Archive.zip

1 hour ago, Driftwood said:

Whats the best water cooler system for the ASRock Creator anyone? Im currently running air with the Noctua NH-U14S TR4-SP3 fans.

Today best AIO and best air cooler for tr4 are equivalent in my opinion...

the best solution would be to build a custom one, I prefer to stay on air because I do not want have a sort of anxiety on liquid on my system

This summer I will decide..but for now my Dark rock pro TR4 does a  pretty good job

• Like 1

@fabiosun It seems on this latest install, the VM just wont start now.

It's not switching to the GPU for the Guest VM, it stays on the commandline for the host, and then 

"Watchdog: BUG: Soft lockup" for various CPU cores slowly starts appearing.

Then the whole host reboots.

Is this a USB controller passthrough issue, and I need the Patch from Pavo or elsewhere to fix it?

• Supervisor
4 minutes ago, TheDaemonBarber said:

@fabiosun It seems on this latest install, the VM just wont start now.

It's not switching to the GPU for the Guest VM, it stays on the commandline for the host, and then 

"Watchdog: BUG: Soft lockup" for various CPU cores slowly starts appearing.

Then the whole host reboots.

Is this a USB controller passthrough issue, and I need the Patch from Pavo or elsewhere to fix it?

put in your signature your hardware

then explain where proxmox is installed and put also your VM config, grub.cfg and others configuration file you have modified

You can (to start) use proxmox file without patching anything then, when you understand better you can try more advanced features

Stay simple to understand your rig is the best advice I can give 🙂

Your GPU, as some other AMD could have a problem (reset bug9 and could also be necessary to add GPU bios to the vm..

I do not have this problem because in Proxmox my Nvidia card works fine only passing it in usual way

• Like 1

Watercooler: I picked the Thermaltake Floe Riing 360 TR4 because it had the large TR4 surface area and the fans looked pretty cool. This device is heavily flawed though. If you wire it like the drawings show, it will only cool decently when you are running  Windows. The software is horrible. The hardware does not remember any fan settings like a Corsair model. It is expensive. I paid $250 U.S.

If you go with this unit, you will need to rewire the fans to have the motherboard control them. Also you need to make sure that the motherboard is pumping the unit at 100%. Under Proxmox, you will not be able to change the fan colors without performing some sort of rewiring. I did not bother. Mine defaults to spinning colors and that is good enough for me.

@fabiosun I think I've added my hardware to my signature now.

Proxmox is on a SATA SSD, attached to a SATA port on the motherboard.

I've attached the various settings files.

I know what you mean about getting the basics working first. I got a basic VM working many times, but the moment I start passing stuff through, it breaks.

Archive 2.zip

Edited by TheDaemonBarber

• Supervisor

pve-blacklist has stuff inside you should have in blacklist.conf file..not there

for your gpu passthrough problem take a look here

I added an experience of an user with 5700XT

• Like 1