Proxmox VE OSX Guide discussion

fabiosun

10 hours ago, paulthesparky said:

Firewire 800 should still be able to record about 55 channels of audio at 96khz which is still pretty good considering🤔

Yep. Why change something that works very well and RME have been pretty good at supporting with regular drivers. I own two Fireface800s. Blew a channel on one of them the other day - first time somethings happened to one of them in 15 years! Still amazing audio device - and they hold their price secondhand...

• +1 1

• Moderators

I've tried 3 different FireWire cards (one Startech): 2 with  400/800 and 1 with dual 800. None work as they  all have bridges.

Driftwood, I located the one you posted here. Thanks.

Edited by iGPU

• Supervisor
8 hours ago, iGPU said:

I've tried 3 different FireWire cards (one Startech): 2 with  400/800 and 1 with dual 800. None work as they  all have bridges.

Driftwood, I located the one you posted here. Thanks.

it seems this is the same..and no other chip on there and also no big molex:

https://www.amazon.it/startech-PEX1394B3LP-Port-profilo-FireWire/dp/B00442T240/

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00442T240/

Edited by fabiosun
added amazon.com
  • Like 1

On 6/3/2020 at 2:19 AM, Driftwood said:

I nearly bought those, now ordered the G.Skill 3600s. 18 timings XMP 2 should work!

Will you be able to drive 256Gb with those as well? When I looked the 3200 was the highest to support 256Gb

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Rox67er said:

Will you be able to drive 256Gb with those as well? When I looked the 3200 was the highest to support 256Gb

I bought 256GB of this DDR4, and it seems to work well.

• Moderators

fabiosun,

I was wondering if passing the entire CPU might be a problem in general for audio. When you have audio problems with High Sierra, did you ever try only passing 62 threads instead of passing all 64 to VM (that is, leaving 2 for the host)?

Why I ask, is that on UnRAID, it is expected to leave at least 2 threads for the host. In fact, UnRAID recommends specifically leaving CPU 0 and whichever thread is paired with 0 (such as 0 and 31) for the host. In reading about Proxmox, most of what I've read seems to suggest also leaving some threads for the host, so maybe we shouldn't be passing the entire CPU.

Edited by iGPU

• Supervisor
3 hours ago, iGPU said:

fabiosun,

I was wondering if passing the entire CPU might be a problem in general for audio. When you have audio problems with High Sierra, did you ever try only passing 62 threads instead of passing all 64 to VM (leaving 2 for host)?

Why I ask, is that on UnRAID, it is expected to leave at least 2 threads for the host. In fact, UnRAID recommends specifically leaving CPU 0 and whichever thread is paired with 0 (such as 0 and 31) to be left for the host. In reading about Proxmox, most of what I've read seems to suggest leaving some threads for the host, so maybe we shouldn't be passing the entire CPU.

Hi @iGPU in High Sierra problem is USB driver

I can't see any USB3 device connected..

I have also a VM with "only" 32threads set..Problem is the same

I have tested roughly in the same way with Unraid..same problem

Catalina is perfect instead ( I have only problem I said with jack detection) but ie my cheap USB audio is perfect also with speaker connected @ cold boot

• Like 1

• Supervisor

I would like also to add that in a Windows VM (Proxmox) audio is also perfect

I can pass it via entire controller or as a single USB device from web interface

perfect.

Problem is (I repeat my self) driver in HighSierra (maybe too old for our new hardware)

• Like 1

A bit of discussion here: How many cores are you all passing and why?

At only 64gb RAM I've found stability (whilst waiting for more memory to come in the post) using only 32 cores and leaving at least 4gb ram for proxmox host . The reason mainly is I understand from reading Proxmox site that you have to leave something in the way of at least 1 core (even though we push through 64 cores to our VMs or share the 64 cores amongst more if you have more than 1 vm running). And then you read the experts that suggest you should follow the power of 2 rule (offer only 2, 4, 16, 32 cores) and hold the rest back for the Host and others VMs.  

However if you have this rule then it appears we should be only running a max of 32 cores for the 3970x correct me if Im wrong?

I have extremely stable operation when I set Mac OS to use 56Gb Ram and only 32 cores. Has anyone else with 64gb RAM experienced this?

PS Ive now ordered 256Gb G.Skills AMD QL cert. DIMMs and realise I could be waiting a few weeks as they've only just launched them 😞

• Supervisor

@Driftwoodall my cores and about 119 Gb of my 128 Gb installed

System run perfectly in this way

If I have had to limit my system only of 1 core less..I would have thrown proxmox out of the window! 🙂

I can push a bit memory but if I exaggerate the system becomes unstable

1486972499_Schermata2020-06-05alle6_29_23PM.png.a9f072b14628f74cda83f1d98045b539.png1681767359_ScreenShot2020-06-05at19_15_27.png.ff2dd2ad9f3e5c0bba28b22bc34aa523.png

agent: 0
args: -smbios type=2 -cpu host,vendor=GenuineIntel,+invtsc
balloon: 0
bios: ovmf
boot: d
cores: 64
cpu: host
efidisk0: local-lvm:vm-100-disk-1,size=4M
hostpci0: 21:00,pcie=1,x-vga=1
hostpci1: 46:00.1
#USB
hostpci10: 46:00.3
#USB
hostpci11: 47:00
#SATA
hostpci12: 48:00
#SATA
hostpci2: 01:00.0
#NVME
hostpci3: 02:00.0
#NVME
hostpci4: 04:00.3
#USB
hostpci5: 23:00.3
#USB
hostpci6: 23:00.4
#Audio (not useful)
hostpci7: 44:00
#I211
hostpci8: 45:00
#I211
machine: q35
memory: 121856
name: sierra
net0: vmxnet3=xxxxxxxxxxx,bridge=vmbr0,firewall=1
numa: 0
ostype: other
sata0: local-lvm:vm-106-disk-0,cache=unsafe,size=48G,ssd=1
#catalina on a VM disk
scsihw: virtio-scsi-pci
smbios1: uuid=43051c32-3e2e-4f80-b7cc-d50def662b0b
sockets: 1
startup: down=20
tablet: 0
vga: none
vmgenid: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Edited by fabiosun
Added my main VM config
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, fabiosun said:

System run perfectly in this way

If I have had to limit my system only of 1 core less..I would have thrown proxmox out of the window! 🙂

I can push a bit memory but if I exaggerate the

The mac has no Ballooning support from what I understand so the host always shows the VM using 97% memory no matter what setting I've used - check in 'Summary' tab. You get that?

Edited by Driftwood

3 hours ago, Driftwood said:

A bit of discussion here: How many cores are you all passing and why?

At only 64gb RAM I've found stability (whilst waiting for more memory to come in the post) using only 32 cores and leaving at least 4gb ram for proxmox host . The reason mainly is I understand from reading Proxmox site that you have to leave something in the way of at least 1 core (even though we push through 64 cores to our VMs or share the 64 cores amongst more if you have more than 1 vm running). And then you read the experts that suggest you should follow the power of 2 rule (offer only 2, 4, 16, 32 cores) and hold the rest back for the Host and others VMs.  

However if you have this rule then it appears we should be only running a max of 32 cores for the 3970x correct me if Im wrong?

I have extremely stable operation when I set Mac OS to use 56Gb Ram and only 32 cores. Has anyone else with 64gb RAM experienced this?

PS Ive now ordered 256Gb G.Skills AMD QL cert. DIMMs and realise I could be waiting a few weeks as they've only just launched them 😞

I run 120Gb hugepages of 1Gb. (out of 128Gb) and pass all cores.

Proxmox allocates the full memory at startup that is why it uses all memory. (In my node view it shows 121.9 GiB in use (So some margin left, but in the VM it doesn't use memory since all the hugepages are pre-allocated)

Screenshot 2020-06-05 at 22.12.15.png

Screenshot 2020-06-05 at 22.15.10.png

Screenshot 2020-06-05 at 22.16.49.png

I checked running Proxmox disk on the USB-C port and passing the 47:00.1 and 47:00.3 USB Controllers. (As long as I block bluetooth / wifi MacOs works fine, as soon as I try to load the intelUSB kext my Aquantia controller gets messed up. My wifi/BT upgrade has not arrived yet...)

However, in this config I can only boot the VM once. If I shut down and then start the VM again, it locks up with the 99 error on the motherboard. It may be related to older AGESA / BIOS since we are still on 1.0.0.3 B if I understand correctly, Fabiosun has been on 1.0.0.3 C and is now on 1.0.0.4.

Could also be the reset bug for the Radeon VII.

• Supervisor

@Rox67er i have tested during this journey all bios available for my motherboard

with all of these i have the same functionality and group separation

i do not think Agesa is your problem

now also your motherboard has agesa 1.0.0.4 with latest bios posted few messages above

ehm sorry for asrock 1.0.03 patch c only for now

Edited by fabiosun
1.0.03 patch c
  • Like 1

Long story short, I need some help as no matter what I try, I keep getting a fail to boot opencore on my Proxmox VM here:

[EB|`B:WFDW] Err(0xE), 0 @ LocHB 71B4903C-14EC-42C4-BDC6-CE1449930E49

I see online lots of people mention trying to change these various parameters in the Config.sys

EnableWriteUnprotector, ProtectMemoryRegions, RebuildAppleMemoryMap, SetupVirtualMap, SyncRuntimePermissions

But so far I've tried all the combinations people suggest online.

I've tried this with creating an EFI based on the Dortania Opencore desktop guide, as well as a couple of slimmed down EFIs suggested to me for loading a VM opencore machine. They all lock up at the same place above.

I'm running Proxmox 6.2, and the VM is set to pass through various USB and 2 GPUs. This VM setup works and boots to windows, and all the devices appear, so the VM is passing things through correctly as far as I can tell. I'm just stuck on Opencore right now. The VM is set to the classic Penryn CPU type, and the ARGS in the VM.conf are as per Fabiosun's original post here.

Any help would be gratefully received.

Edited by TheDaemonBarber
Mistake.

6 minutes ago, TheDaemonBarber said:

Long story short, I need some help as no matter what I try, I keep getting a fail to boot opencore on my Proxmox VM here:

[EB|`B:WFDW] Err(0xE), 0 @ LocHB 71B4903C-14EC-42C4-BDC6-CE1449930E49

I see online lots of people mention trying to change these various parameters in the Config.sys

EnableWriteUnprotector, ProtectMemoryRegions, RebuildAppleMemoryMap, SetupVirtualMap, SyncRuntimePermissions

But so far I've tried all the combinations people suggest online.

I've tried this with creating an EFI based on the Dortania Opencore desktop guide, as well as a couple of slimmed down EFIs suggested to me for loading a VM opencore machine. They all lock up at the same place above.

I'm running Proxmox 6.2, and the VM is set to pass through various USB and 2 GPUs. This VM setup works and boots to windows, and all the devices appear, so the VM is passing things through correctly as far as I can tell. I'm just stuck on Opencore right now. The VM is set to the classic Penryn CPU type, and the ARGS in the VM.conf are as per Fabiosun's original post here.

Any help would be gratefully received.

Make sure the EFI partition is inside a volume called EFI, as in EFI/EFI/OC and BOOT folders

EFI is in an EFI folder inside an EFI partition... Opencore gets to a point where it offers to 'install MacOS Catalina', then dies on the above line.

Oh, hadn't tried Clover as the Opencore Guide and a few other people said Clover doesn't work with Catalina?

If it does, I'll definitely give it a shot. Nothing to lose 😛

Edited by TheDaemonBarber