Proxmox VE OSX Guide discussion

fabiosun

@Driftwood

I’m wondering, since you have been trying a lot with PCIe passthrough as I have and are on the same Hw, did you ever run into the issue where the system freezes at boot and the Dr Bios shows 99 on the motherboard? I have had this regularly and am thinking that I may have a hardware issue in my motherboard. The only thing that helps is to switch off the power supply and after that it boots normally...??? 

View recent photos.png

Spoiler

# This file contains an example of what settings I use for MacOS VM w$

args: -smbios type=2 -cpu host,vendor=GenuineIntel,+invtsc -machine q35,kernel_irqchip=on
bios: ovmf
boot: d
cores: 64
efidisk0: local-lvm:vm-100-disk-0,size=4M
hostpci0: 03:00,pcie=1,x-vga=1
hostpci1: 23:00,pcie=1
hostpci11: 4c:00.0,pcie=1,rombar=1
hostpci2: 4a:00.0,pcie=1,rombar=1
hostpci3: 05:00.3,pcie=1,rombar=1
hostpci4: 25:00.3,pcie=1,rombar=1
hostpci5: 45:00.0,pcie=1,rombar=1
hostpci7: 4b:00,pcie=1,rombar=1
hostpci8: 43:00.0,pcie=1,rombar=1
hostpci9: 4d:00,pcie=1,rombar=1
hotplug: 0
machine: q35
memory: 49152
name: catalin
numa: 1
ostype: other
sockets: 1
tablet: 0
vga: none

vmgenid: ... .... ... ....!

VM conf above

VFIO conf below

Spoiler

# This file contains all the device-ids and vendor-ids of components $
options vfio-pci ids=1002:66af,1002:ab20 disable_vga=1
options vfio-pci ids=1987:5016
options vfio-pci ids=1022:148c
options vfio-pci ids=1022:1487
options vfio-pci ids=1b21:3242
options vfio-pci ids=1d6a:07b1
options vfio-pci ids=bdbd:a14b
options vfio-pci ids=144d:a804
options vfio-pci ids=11c1:5901

Thats my latest VM conf and VFIO conf. Noticed Ive now removed the other problematic USB, the Args line has the IRQ statement, and Ive ensured Proxmox is booting with at least 4Gb and have lowered RAM to 48Gigs until I get more RAM! Safety measure. The firewire and Decklink dont produce weird errors anymore like crackle and erratic mouse lag - now they just work! I think any one of those changes was responsible for problems. Ive also got monitor screen saver working without going black after coming back from its sleep.

Hope this helps anyone. Pavo has been instrumental in getting this working and he clearly knows what he is doing, so rather than spend days sorting this (i understand more what he tells me all the time) I think advice from an expert is advise-able if you haven't got the time atm - got jobs on. I have to try that shutdown script @Roxer67 when I get the time. But my system is VERY stable now and Im very happy. It flies!

ID 4d:00 and 4c:00 are the black magic Decklink and firewire cards

Edited by Driftwood
argus line wasnt pasted correctly
  • Ok 1

• Supervisor

@Driftwood your VM config files seems weird..and I think you copy and pasted bad here

this quoted lines instigated me to ban you from here because I can't understand well  (joking for banning)

"Hope this helps anyone. Pavo has been instrumental in getting this working and he clearly knows what he is doing, so rather than spend days sorting this (i understand more what he tells me all the time) I think advice from an expert is advise-able if you haven't got the time atm - got jobs on."

I know Pavo is good for you (you repeat here so often)  and he is helping you in private..but this seems a bit unrespectful for me and for other users which could benefit also of "your" finding

😉

Also I can confirm that most of stuff you put in your config is unesuful...but if it is working for you I am happy

By the way could be useful (and not for me) to explain what this args does for you 😛

-machine q35,kernel_irqchip=on

because you do not need of it and cranking audio is another problem (if you read on Proxmox forum you can understand better)

but maybe it is a my problem

again no offence for me (and I hope for you)

To be clear I repeat that my goal is to grow here my knowledge also with your help...

if I had done this in private..maybe you, Pavo and others still would waiting at Morgonaut site with her telenovelas on fastest hack ever.. 🙂 🙂

Have a nice day

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, fabiosun said:

this quoted lines instigated me to ban you from here because I can't understand well  (joking for banning)

I value this site more than anyone. I hardly know about Discord and not much Linux. Yourds was the first post I saw fabiosun so I want to say it was you who caught my eye first. 

I needed a fast video compression/editing machine for raw files first and foremost and didn't want to spend a fortune on a Mac so it was fab to see your post. The first 🙂

This thread ids great and I value all the guys here, most of all you.

As I learn more about Proxmox and Linux in my free time I will be able to answer better. It won't take long as Ive learned a lot here, and with Pavo. This thread and group is wonderful I value what you say and the path of discovery. I tried to get all this kit working inside a week - spending unto 12 hours a day (sleeping at 5am!) to try and get this working. But to learn the knowledge of you and others will take me time. But Ill get there. I understand all the principles.

After all, we all want our big investment to work for us. Its not just geekery stuff.

• +1 2

• Supervisor

1303735822_ScreenShot2020-05-27at18_30_14.png.c810cb3c6764080c3590e3fc5742f704.png

I think (I repeat my self) you do not need many stuff you have in your config..

but this boot args are wrong 😛

And I am remarking it (as we were friends from long time (to be less serious or "master"  because if people use that args then VM does not start

When you have time correct it (please)

Then, I am very happy when you (and others) post their results..but for learning some more detailed explanation is necessary...

ie why for you pcie=1 and rombar stuff is mandatory and others things...

do not thing also here we have not a job... 🙂 🙂

But the desire to have this Chip working and to share it (for free) to all hackintosh community for me was a pleasure and an honour 🙂 🙂

Now I am thinking to buy a Gigabyte Designare.because my main goal will be to have thunderbolt working (and let think..I do not need for my job) 🙂

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, fabiosun said:

1303735822_ScreenShot2020-05-27at18_30_14.png.c810cb3c6764080c3590e3fc5742f704.png

I think (I repeat my self) you do not need many stuff you have in your config..

but this boot args are wrong 😛

And I am remarking it (as we were friends from long time (to be less serious or "master"  because if people use that args then VM does not start

When you have time correct it (please)

Then, I am very happy when you (and others) post their results..but for learning some more detailed explanation is necessary...

ie why for you pcie=1 and rombar stuff is mandatory and others things...

do not thing also here we have not a job... 🙂 🙂

But the desire to have this Chip working and to share it (for free) to all hackintosh community for me was a pleasure and an honour 🙂 🙂

Now I am thinking to buy a Gigabyte Designare.because my main goal will be to have thunderbolt working (and let think..I do not need for my job) 🙂

Maybe I can chime in here and explain the reason behind the IRQ setting that was used in his config. It does look like his copy and paste was off a little. It should look like this.

args: -smbios type=2 -cpu host,vendor=GenuineIntel,+invtsc -machine q35,kernel_irqchip=on

The kernel_irqchip=on args was added because his Firewire card was having ORQ conflicts which slowed his system to a crawl after 10-15 minutes of use. Adding this arg fixed that issue and at the same time fixed his audio crackling issue that he was having, btw he Firewire card is what maintains his external audio devices.

Here are some informational links about the issue.

https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/fix-for-pci-passthrough-and-issues-with-proxmox-6-gui-regex-that-needs-resolving-after-upgrade.56507/

https://bugzilla.proxmox.com/show_bug.cgi?id=2308

Edited by Pavo
  • Like 2
  • Ok 1

2 hours ago, fabiosun said:

VM config files seems weird..and I think you copy and pasted bad here

Apologies @fabiosun. My mouse on an old Hack Mac running the host web console proxmox is faulty, I should have copied out to end of line!

It is corrected now.

I think the config is good for my case (because I use Decklink and Firewire pcie cards) but of course don't take things literally as other people's build / mobos are different.

The ASRock Creator has come with a few headaches and I am keen in the future to see what other boards are out there - like the msi. Of course, when there's time for me,  I will investigate further the problem with the other USB hub to see if we can knock that out of the equation as Im missing the 3 x USB 3.2 Gen2 (1 Front Type-C, 2 Rear) with this config.

Apologies once again, I did not mean to offend you in any way. Thank you @Pavo for coming in to answer whilst I was afk.

Edited by Driftwood
  • Like 1
  • +1 1

On 5/25/2020 at 8:42 AM, Rox67er said:

Can confirm that vfio.conf without ids=xxxx:yyyy is working just fine on my TRX40. I just removed all ids and no change in functionality.

I have to come back on my statement. It does make a difference in some occasions. Sometimes during boot I got an error on the bluetooth bios not loaded or something. After starting macos in deed no bluetooth. (with intel bluetooth kexts) after adding the bluetooth to vfio.conf proxmox leaves bluetooth alone. I still have issue though that when rebooting macos I loose the aquantia network. seems to work but only gives an self assigned ip.

4 hours ago, Driftwood said:

Apologies @fabiosun. My mouse on an old Hack Mac running the host web console proxmox is faulty, I should have copied out to end of line!

It is corrected now.

I think the config is good for my case (because I use Decklink and Firewire pcie cards) but of course don't take things literally as other people's build / mobos are different.

The ASRock Creator has come with a few headaches and I am keen in the future to see what other boards are out there - like the msi. Of course, when there's time for me,  I will investigate further the problem with the other USB hub to see if we can knock that out of the equation as Im missing the 3 x USB 3.2 Gen2 (1 Front Type-C, 2 Rear) with this config.

Apologies once again, I did not mean to offend you in any way. Thank you @Pavo for coming in to answer whilst I was afk.

I notice you pass the cpu as host, can you share your EFI folder so I can compare with mine? I have  to completed the usb overview but will post what I have tomorrow. It is possible to pass front USB and the two rear without passing entire controller.

1 hour ago, Rox67er said:

can you share your EFI

There you go! Open Core stuff. Yeah the Matisse USB has been problematic. If you are getting what Im getting, avoid it. You're limited to 4 USB devices in Proxmox. So you may be able to pass through some off them. If you get success I'd like to know! I'd like to get my 3.2 gen 2s working 🙂 Currently the front USB stuff is knocked out and the bottom two USB 3 ports are too at the rear, plus the USB3.2s.

Also its quite possible you have to get the r8125 Linux driver installed like I got as its more 'friendly'  shall we say than Proxmox default driver which just seems hit and miss for this board.

Another tip: Flash back to 1.50 fw on the bios, roll back your Proxmox install to an earlier than 6.2 and update later when you get in. 6.2 it appears is troublesome on install for us ASRock Creator users. When you're in correctly you can always flash back to 1.60. Ensure BIOS is set to defaults when you install (ie leave CMS alone for now), get boot order correct, etc.

EFI.zip

Edited by Driftwood
  • Like 1

• Supervisor

@Rox67er have you solved understand your 99 code Error?

searching on the net could be a simple bios corruption or a big problem with cpu pin socket

about vfio.conf

my motherboard has no wifi/no bt

i can pass all controller if i use Flr, and i have all usb on my rig active

now i am not using anymore flr kernel patches because I have the same functionality without passing audio controller/ 2 usb controller

also important to say is that osx driver is the main actor imho.

high sierra does not recognize any usb3 controller but osx catalina i installed from 10.15.5 beta to the release have nice improvement for usb 

i loose many time for this problem but problem was inside high sierra. For me is important to have it working in high sierra cause my gpu is not supported from newer osx

i would also suggest you to install on a vm disk file also windows 10 64 bit

you can install in a flash it and from there you can verify if your problem is a linux configuration problem or if it is a Os problem.

• Like 2

• Moderators
13 hours ago, fabiosun said:

🙂Now I am thinking to buy a Gigabyte Designare.because my main goal will be to have thunderbolt working (and let think..I do not need for my job) 🙂

I would advise against GB Designare for the moment.

My build is totally messed up. The computer now can only stay on for  ~1 min before locking up. It was gotten worse over the past 4 days, when it began crashing after 1 hour. The crashes became progressively faster, barely allowing me enough time to boot into macOS.

I'm getting strange error messages (see spoiler). These appear on host and GUI, sometimes superimposed while editing inside a file.

Errors:

Spoiler

Message from syslogd@pve at May 26 20:50:00 ...
 kernel:[  627.647668] [Hardware Error]: Corrected error, no action required.

kernel:[  627.647675] [Hardware Error]: CPU:49 (17:31:0) MC1_STATUS[Over|CE|MiscV|AddrV|-|-|SyndV|-|-|-]: 0xdc20000000030151

kernel:[  627.647679] [Hardware Error]: Error Addr: 0x000000374cce2820

kernel:[  627.647680] [Hardware Error]: IPID: 0x000100b000000000, Syndrome: 0x000000001a030202

kernel:[  627.647683] [Hardware Error]: Instruction Fetch Unit Ext. Error Code: 3, IC Data Array Parity Error.

kernel:[  627.647686] [Hardware Error]: cache level: L1, tx: INSN, mem-tx: IRD

kernel:[  627.647689] [Hardware Error]: Corrected error, no action required.

kernel:[  627.647691] [Hardware Error]: CPU:17 (17:31:0) MC1_STATUS[Over|CE|MiscV|AddrV|-|-|SyndV|-|-|-]: 0xdc20000000030151

kernel:[  627.647694] [Hardware Error]: Error Addr: 0x000000374cb45820

kernel:[  627.647695] [Hardware Error]: IPID: 0x000100b000000000, Syndrome: 0x000000001a030202

kernel:[  627.647697] [Hardware Error]: Instruction Fetch Unit Ext. Error Code: 3, IC Data Array Parity Error.

kernel:[  627.647699] [Hardware Error]: cache level: L1, tx: INSN, mem-tx: IRD

I either have a bad mobo or bad CPU. I think CPU is probably OK, but I've contacted AMD customer service to get their opinion. Meanwhile, I'm getting an MSI Creator mobo, possibly tomorrow. If this works, then CPU okay.

While researching problem, I came across many issues with GB TRX40 mobos (search on Prime95-TRX40-errors). It seems GB not fast in fixing TRX40 BIOS. Some on forums think GB is too interested in getting Z490 mobos ready as more $$ selling those than TRX40s. In looking at an alternative, I see that MSI has latest fixes for AMD micro-code, as compared to any other manufacturer. Also, MSI/AMD seem to be working with RED camera for 8K processing so maybe MSI has greater interest than other manufacturers to stay current.

Anyhow, I'll be able to report back soon which is bad: mobo or CPU.

Edited by iGPU
  • Sad 2

• Supervisor

@iGPUyou are not the one to have problem with Gigabyte/3970x...

so maybe I have to stay with mine for now 🙂

for me all is perfect (except internal audio in High Sierra) I can do my job inside it as I do in windows...no more no less

I hope you solve soon as you can your problem (trx40 creator for me is not a choice because I have 8 internal sata devices connected)

• Like 1

Hi,

I'm trying to setup the proxmox VM on my machine. I do not have any ethernet connection, and only connect via wifi. How to find the network settings to put in during proxmox installation?

• Moderators
14 minutes ago, Jaidy said:

Hi,

I'm trying to setup the proxmox VM on my machine. I do not have any ethernet connection, and only connect via wifi. How to find the network settings to put in during proxmox installation?

During installation, Proxmox on the next  to  last screen, will automatically fill-in an IP  address, such as 192.168.1.55 (based of course, on your network's setup). At that point, you can accept it as is, or change it (if you do change it, only change the last segment, such as the '55' to '60'). That IP will remain fixed for your host.

On the first boot, Proxmox will remind you on the host screen of that IP address, and you'll be prompted to enter you user name ("root") and the password you entered during set-up. After that, you can connect to the host.

You connect to the host via WiFi (or hardwired) from another computer (laptop, desktop, etc). You'll enter the above IP along with "/8006" (for example, 192.168.1.55/8006), in your browser. This browser window will become the Proxmox GUI interface for your VM.

Edited by iGPU

• Supervisor
14 minutes ago, Jaidy said:

Hi,

if I have understood your problem..

when you stay in proxmox ip/ethernet step, you can see all ethernet device installed (and that proxmox sees) in your system

try to choose wifi one if there.

I have no wifi so I can't say more about this

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, iGPU said:

During installation, Proxmox on the next  to  last screen, will automatically fill-in an IP  address, such as 192.168.1.55 (based of course, on your network's setup). At that point, you can accept it as is, or change it (if you do change it, only change the last segment, such as the '55' to '60'). That IP will remain fixed for your host.

On the first boot, Proxmox will remind you on the host screen of that IP address, and you'll be prompted to enter you user name ("root") and the password you entered during set-up. After that, you can connect to the host.

You connect to the host via WiFi (or hardwired) from another computer (laptop, desktop, etc). You'll enter the above IP along with "/8006" (for example, 192.168.1.55/8006), in your browser. This browser window will become the Proxmox GUI interface for your VM.

I did exactly that the first time. But using the address at the boot screen of proxmox, when I entered that on another computer, it would after a while just say can not access the url.

Second time, I reinstalled proxmox and at the network settings, I looked at the network settings on my macbook and used the entries there in the network settings on proxmox (changing the IP address of course). But when I booted into proxmox and tried the new address given at the boot screen on my macbook, it is still the same.

Has any one used wifi to install proxmox?

9 minutes ago, fabiosun said:

if I have understood your problem..

when you stay in proxmox ip/ethernet step, you can see all ethernet device installed (and that proxmox sees) in your system

try to choose wifi one if there.

I have no wifi so I can't say more about this

I think that is the problem. I see two ethernet adapters but no wifi adapters at the proxmox network settings during installation

@fabiosun @Driftwood

I Just posted my config files and the IOMMU / USB pdf file on GitHub: https://github.com/iroger/ASRock-TRX40-proxmox

I will try to keep it up to date with my latest config so others can use and learn as well.

Things planned:

* Swap out my intel wifi/USB for a fenvi BCM94360 NGFF version (It is in the mail now and should be a drop in replacement) since the intel one gives headaches.

* Diagnose an USB 7-5 error I get occasionally when booting proxmox, when I get this error and then restart I get the Dr debug 99 error and have to switch off the power supply to get it booting again. (USB 7-5 is the internal LED controller)

* Complete the USB overview, which port goes where

* Go to a cleaner OpenCore config, probably with passing "CPU host" 

Any remarks and tips are welcome!

• Supervisor
25 minutes ago, Rox67er said:

@fabiosun @Driftwood

I Just posted my config files and the IOMMU / USB pdf file on GitHub: https://github.com/iroger/ASRock-TRX40-proxmox

I will try to keep it up to date with my latest config so others can use and learn as well.

Things planned:

* Swap out my intel wifi/USB for a fenvi BCM94360 NGFF version (It is in the mail now and should be a drop in replacement) since the intel one gives headaches.

* Diagnose an USB 7-5 error I get occasionally when booting proxmox, when I get this error and then restart I get the Dr debug 99 error and have to switch off the power supply to get it booting again. (USB 7-5 is the internal LED controller)

* Complete the USB overview, which port goes where

* Go to a cleaner OpenCore config, probably with passing "CPU host" 

Any remarks and tips are welcome!

Hi first of all thank you to you and all people are keeping updating this thread with their experiences
I appreciate it so much

About 7-5 error when you boot proxmox, you should have to update your proxmox.I opened a thread on Proxmox support site time ago. Now with latest proxmox kernel that errors could not appears anymore

Instead a bunch ACPI error could always happen

For both (7-5 errors and acpi errors) a man of proxmox stuff said it is not a problem at all. I have not specifically competence to understand if It is true..so I have to accept as it is

link to thread I said before

• Like 1

3 hours ago, fabiosun said:

@Rox67er have you solved understand your 99 code Error?

searching on the net could be a simple bios corruption or a big problem with cpu pin socket

about vfio.conf

my motherboard has no wifi/no bt

Well it seems the intel bluetooth was screwing up. I removed the kext and now everything is fine, no network issue anymore, reboots work, sleep works, shutdown and re-start VM works with the hook script. So pretty happy. Also the 99 error is now gone...? Looks like these low level hacks (injecting bluetooth firmware can have some unexpected behaviour)

16 minutes ago, Rox67er said:

Well it seems the intel bluetooth was screwing up. I removed the kext and now everything is fine, no network issue anymore, reboots work, sleep works, shutdown and re-start VM works with the hook script. So pretty happy. Also the 99 error is now gone...? Looks like these low level hacks (injecting bluetooth firmware can have some unexpected behaviour)

Removed the BT kext...good thinking. 

The only thing I'm suffering is the Radeon Shutdown/restart problem. So it solves that?