Proxmox VE OSX Guide discussion

fabiosun

1 hour ago, Driftwood said:

@paulthesparky Ive been thru a lot of variables. Interesting to see the MADI card sits on a named slot! (Slot 3)

The firewire LSI card is almost perfect especially when the USB passthru is minimised - ie 48.00 group - 48:00.0, 48.00.1, 48:00.3 are disabled. And you run at only 32 cores.

With the PCIe HDSPe AIO there is definitely something like IRQ Interupt problems, possibly shared which is not quite allowing me to use it.

With PCIe cards, IOMMU handles the memory addresses, the DMA calls, and the timed interupts. And the AIO card is currently all over the place. It needs to be settled.

Investigating a few more options...

It would be nice I guess to get hold of a MADI card as they are newer and perhaps more vm friendly. Have you tried reading it with lspci yet ? Be interested to know the reading?

I will try and loan one from Synthax UK.

I haven't tried reading it with Ispci utility, as I'm yet to try anything Linux related. But if you seriously think it will help solve MADI issues for a VM, It's a good enough excuse to start learning some Linux.

Arco Linux caught my eye a while back, and it seems like a really good one to start on for music production.  iGPU recommended it a while back.

Great if Synthax can lend you one. If they charge you to do so, I'll gladly chip in, being a proud donator to the forum.

40 minutes ago, paulthesparky said:

I haven't tried reading it with Ispci utility, as I'm yet to try anything Linux related. But if you seriously think it will help solve MADI issues for a VM, It's a good enough excuse to start learning some Linux.

Arco Linux caught my eye a while back, and it seems like a really good one to start on for music production.  iGPU recommended it a while back.

Here's the crux of the problem - sorry no sound!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8Qud3iaDzE

Edited by Driftwood

• Moderators

I had issues when updating Big Sur ß2 to ß3. It finally worked out better, when doing the Big Sur update, to work in console mode, rather than passing through the GPU. That is, using the "console" monitor on the Proxmox GUI.

This probably only applies to those of us using an AMD GPU due to the reset issue. By using console mode, the re-boots don't get fouled up by the VM not properly booting with the GPU stuck in an unusable state.

As a reminder, to revert from GPU pass-through to console mode: change the VM by commenting out the "hostpciX" for the GPU(s) and change from "vga: none" to "vga: vmware". After completing the Big Sur update, reverse these VM steps.

Edited by iGPU

• Moderators

I finally managed to get into Big Sur Recovery, which was a problem for me with both ß2 and ß3 (I never tried with ß1).

The key seemed to be in setting OC ScanPolicy to 0 and enabling AppleALC and WEG (neither of which I typically use). I did not test each combination of the above 3 settings, so maybe only 2 of the 3 are necessary. VirtualSMC was not enabled, and no boot arguments were required.

• Supervisor

guide updated with my latest configurations and kernel I use to boot with Proxmox in my rig in the following OS:

1)windows

2) OSX from High Sierra to Big Sur beta 2 (no beta 3 for now)

I use an EFI with Opencore 0.6.0 you can download with VM Assistant with following terminal command:

VM assistant -doc

proxmox iso format.

Edited by fabiosun
Beta 3 is OK
  • Like 2

• Moderators
2 hours ago, fabiosun said:

maybe you have to take a look here (You AMD Navi GPU owner I mean 🙂 )

I have asked to include Navi patch on zen2 kernel 🙂

https://github.com/fabianishere/pve-edge-kernel/issues/5

Just to clarify, AMD 5700 is Navi 10 (Navi 20 or aka 'Big Navi' coming later this year). Radeon VII is Vega, not Navi.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, fabiosun said:

@Rox67erto pass your sata controllers there is some trick to know?

if you have all nvme controller used I mean 

asrock trx40 creator share those controllers in some way?

@Driftwood what did you do to pass it?

I didn't run into any issue yet. My lspci -nnk below. I only use 2 of the three nvme (one for osx other for Proxmox) and pass one sata controller. I hoped the short audio interrupts would reduce with fast NVMe storage for Proxmox (thought it might be latency) but it didn't help.

43:00.0 Non-Volatile memory controller [0108]: Phison Electronics Corporation E12 NVMe Controller [1987:5012] (rev 01)
        Subsystem: Phison Electronics Corporation E12 NVMe Controller [1987:5012]
        Kernel driver in use: nvme
44:00.0 USB controller [0c03]: ASMedia Technology Inc. Device [1b21:3242]
        Subsystem: ASMedia Technology Inc. Device [1b21:3242]
        Kernel driver in use: vfio-pci
        Kernel modules: xhci_pci
45:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Aquantia Corp. AQC107 NBase-T/IEEE 802.3bz Ethernet Controller [AQtion] [1d6a:07b1] (rev 02)
        Subsystem: ASRock Incorporation AQC107 NBase-T/IEEE 802.3bz Ethernet Controller [AQtion] [1849:d107]
        Kernel modules: atlantic
46:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Limited BCM4360 802.11ac Wireless Network Adapter [14e4:43a0] (rev 03)
        Subsystem: Apple Inc. BCM4360 802.11ac Wireless Network Adapter [106b:0117]
        Kernel modules: bcma
47:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. Device [10ec:8125] (rev 01)
        Subsystem: ASRock Incorporation Device [1849:8125]
        Kernel driver in use: r8169
        Kernel modules: r8169
48:00.0 Non-Essential Instrumentation [1300]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Starship/Matisse Reserved SPP [1022:1485]
        Subsystem: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Starship/Matisse Reserved SPP [1022:1485]
48:00.1 USB controller [0c03]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Matisse USB 3.0 Host Controller [1022:149c]
        Subsystem: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Matisse USB 3.0 Host Controller [1022:1486]
48:00.3 USB controller [0c03]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Matisse USB 3.0 Host Controller [1022:149c]
        Subsystem: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Matisse USB 3.0 Host Controller [1022:148c]
49:00.0 SATA controller [0106]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] FCH SATA Controller [AHCI mode] [1022:7901] (rev 51)
        Subsystem: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] FCH SATA Controller [AHCI mode] [1022:7901]
        Kernel modules: ahci
4a:00.0 SATA controller [0106]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] FCH SATA Controller [AHCI mode] [1022:7901] (rev 51)
        Subsystem: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] FCH SATA Controller [AHCI mode] [1022:7901]
        Kernel driver in use: ahci
        Kernel modules: ahci
4b:00.0 Non-Volatile memory controller [0108]: Phison Electronics Corporation Device [1987:5016] (rev 01)
        Subsystem: Phison Electronics Corporation Device [1987:5016]

Edited by Rox67er
  • +1 1

• Supervisor

I am asking for @Fjallefaruser 

he has a pretty similar configuration of yours but he has problem to pass sata controller for now

i think it is also related to a wrong proxmox installation or old kernel installed (5.34.1 or similar)

I am asking to you an @Driftwood

both of you have a similar rig

• Like 1

Install earlier version of Proxmox and update inside Proxmox once started is often the best way with ASRock.

I passed 49:00.0 for ports 5-8 on the sata controller leaving the other half of the SATA PORT (1-4)  for Proxmox and Windows drive.

Dont forget I have Decklink and Firewire card in so it shifts IOMMU around a little - so your sata address maybe different.

When updating Big Sur betas remember theres around 4 reboots, the early ones take a bit of time and you could be left with a black screen for some time, give it time.

INSTALLING Big Sur using Software Update: I use Software Update, its no pain to shutdown  vm and restart and the Big Sur install will pick up (with display) and you'll be able to see better whats going on. Just keep selecting Install until it gets through the end. Then you'll reboot to a Big Sur boot drive called 'Update' (no mention of Big Sur!!!). On real Macs, Big Sur names the same boot drive EFI I believe! 

Edited by Driftwood
  • Like 2

• Moderators

FYI:

Catalina VM bugs reported here. I've consistently had issues with Catalina. The most stable Catalina for me was ß5 (sigh: now gone).

On a tangential note, I had better stability with Big Sur ß2 than with current ß3 under VM. ß3 went wonky a couple of days ago and is still giving me fits with Finder/desktop bugs. At least in current beta, BS has significant APFS file/partition issues with OpenCore. Yet, I don't see how OC can address those issues until BS has matured ("moving goalposts" problem).

Edited by iGPU
  • Like 1

• Moderators

In the meantime AppleALC works flawlessly with my PCIex ALC1220 codec disabling the Proxmox Q35 virtual ICH9 Audio device in /usr/share/qemu-server/pve-q35-4.0.cfg

Thanks as always for the suggestions @fabiosun

1.jpg.341ccd3b00b4d748683c320a58ece1dc.jpg

1301120881_Schermata2020-08-01alle16_21_31.png.c5a014d91ec68f95381ef6798cfc285b.png

1827295956_Schermata2020-08-01alle16_21_42.png.ec8ee311c3b798c4a20e20690e7645ee.png

Edited by tomnic

• Moderators
1 hour ago, fabiosun said:

sorry, maybe I explained myself wrong. I just wanted to say, in case I had hurt the jumper between the two pins or if the internal USB cable didn't work ... what happens?

I ask this because I can't see any peripheral in windows if I connect it to the thunderbolt port with a type C cable (USB stick or disk)

🙂 🙂

you have given a like also to this post 🙂

Yes, I saw, but I still don't understand how to patch linux and re-compile it.

• Supervisor

ah ok

copy that file in your proxmox root

then if there are not present other deb file execute:

dpkg -i *.deb

reboot and you have new kernel

whale a look on that githhub to solve an AppArmor error you can have (not important to solve)

Edited by fabiosun
add infos
  • Like 2

• Moderators
1 hour ago, tomnic said:

In the meantime AppleALC works flawlessly with my PCIex ALC1220 codec disabling the Proxmox Q35 virtual ICH9 Audio device in /usr/share/qemu-server/pve-q35-4.0.cfg

Thanks as always for the suggestions @fabiosun

Can you show your "/usr/share/qemu-server/pve-q35-4.0.cfg" file?  I'd like to compare with mine. Thanks.