Proxmox VE OSX Guide discussion

fabiosun

• Moderators
21 hours ago, fabiosun said:

try this one only putting there platform data , kext and ssdt you use

I have tested your posted config above and with that oneI can't boot in recovery with the same your error.

fabiosun,

I tried using your config.plist file (with only minor changes like not using DeviceProperties for my mobo) and it too doesn't work for getting into Recovery. I don't know why this partition would be corrupted on my drive, but that's all I can reason at the moment. Hopefully, with the next beta update, I'll be able to get into Recovery.

Thanks anyway for supplying the file!

• Supervisor

Could you do last try for me?😊

Download with vm assistant oc efi I use

and try with it

from terminal

vm assistant -doc

it will download an uploadable iso for proxmox

i hope with this you can solve

• Like 2

• Moderators
2 hours ago, fabiosun said:

and try with it

from terminal

vm assistant -doc

I did. Thanks for trying to help.

This too did not work for Recovery: it showed the longest duration of verbose printout I've ever seen. I finally stopped the endless scrolling and re-booted (Proxmox Re-set).

An  excerpt in the Spoiler:

Spoiler

1718483158_ScreenShot2020-07-19at2_40_45PM.png.4e227f8929f88de91127ddae67fd3c85.png

spacer.png

Edited by iGPU

I wasn't the only one with issues getting access to Big Sur by enrolling via website. After running:

• sudo /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Seeding.framework/Versions/A/Resources/seedutil
  • sudo /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Seeding.framework/Versions/A/Resources/seedutil unenroll
  • sudo /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Seeding.framework/Versions/A/Resources/seedutil enroll DeveloperSeed

I can now download the update. I will try to install it tonight.

Credit: https://mrmacintosh.com/big-sur-beta-not-showing-up-in-software-update-troubleshooting/

@fabiosun - thank you for the tip. I managed to fix it with the above steps before I saw your post. I will check on the tools you recommend.

@Driftwood:

My setup is

Mobo GB sTRX40 Designare BIOS 4c

3990X 256G Ram at 3200MHZ

PCIE1x16: Asus Stock 5700XT (no longer made, got for MacOS compatibility, unfortunately suffers from reset)

PCIE2x8: Titan Ridge TB (packed w mobo, currently unused other than for charging, keeping so I could passthrough eGPUs in the future as all my other slots are populated)

PCIE3 (4x4x4x4): Aorus Expander Card w x4 1G XPG Gammix PCIE4 NVMEs (zfs software RAID10 - this is the VMs storage pool including MacOS VM boot and installation data)

PCIE4x8 @1: Old Nvidia 240GT I use for host. GB sTRX40 rev 1.0 mobos don't like this slot if all others are populated - seems to be either a lane sharing or BIOS constraint but since I only need a host GPU, it's OK.

2 Sabrenets PCIE4 1TB - One used as passthrough to MacOS - currently a destination of Carbon Copy Cloner and extra storage, the other is my Ubuntu 20.04 boot drive

PCIE1x1: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B082X8MBMD/

(used as my wireless and bluetooth card as it comes w Apple firmware and supports all features such as air drop, continuity etc. out of the box).

No overclocking besides memory

1 onboard Ethernet passed to VMs (including MacOS) and 1 is used by host

The GB sTRX40 Designare is a tricky motherboard to make all the above work due to some PCIE lane issues - it's very sensitive to PCIE slot configuration, but the extra value from the expansion card and the TB make it worthwhile as everything else is quite stable once you figure its quirks.

The only issues I have with this setup is:

AMD reset. No existing patches would work for MacOS, though the power patch should be ok w Windows. This issue is hopeless and can only be fixed in future Linux kernels if AMD decides to cooperate or hopefully future iterations of AMD cards.

Sleep/Wake doesn't work on neither the host nor the guest. Not an issue in Ubuntu, haven't debugged Proxmox or MacOS yet.

• Like 2

One interesting thing I uncovered today - maybe known to others in this forum. I wanted to test my Carbon Copy Cloner Sabrenet partition by booting from it, and couldn't figure how to boot straight from the NVME, which I passthrough as a PCI controller, without having to emulate it as a SCSI or IDE. Turns out (at least in Proxmox 6.2) - if you delete the entries of your SATA and EFI disks in the VM .conf, then your VM would boot straight from the NVME (assuming is is passed through as PCI).

Credit: https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/cannot-edit-boot-order-with-nvme-drive.49179/. (last post)

p.s.

As CCC doesn't copy the MacOS main disk EFI by default, you need to do that manually once only, when happy with your OpenCore config, else it won't boot of course. OC crashes badly if your try to use the NVME as a Time Machine or CCC destination and forget to fix the EFI. Then the only way to boot is to remove the NVME PCI, but that defeats the purpose of using it as a backup, so don't forget this step.

Edited by meina222

• Moderators
7 hours ago, fabiosun said:

and try with it

from terminal

vm assistant -doc

I now think that the problem I've been having booting BS Recovery is related to how OpenCore works with the APFS partition, which has somehow changed.

I read a few posts of some people using an apfs.efi driver (which is buit into OC). So I downloaded a couple of these files that date from 2017 and 2018, and lo and behold, when selecting the BS Recovery partition in the OC menu, I get the Apple logo and a progress bar. It proceeds slowly about 2/3 of the way and if left for an 45 min or so reaches the end but never boots into Recovery.

This suggests an issue with how the APFS drive is structured in BS and how for some Recovery boots, OC isn't setting it up correctly. (Again, I can use the BS EFI to boot into Recovery for Catalina, just not BS Recovery.)

Probably between getting new betas and OC improving, these issues will disappear.

Edited by iGPU

• Supervisor
6 hours ago, meina222 said:

One interesting thing I uncovered today - maybe known to others in this forum. I wanted to test my Carbon Copy Cloner Sabrenet partition by booting from it, and couldn't figure how to boot straight from the NVME, which I passthrough as a PCI controller, without having to emulate it as a SCSI or IDE. Turns out (at least in Proxmox 6.2) - if you delete the entries of your SATA and EFI disks in the VM .conf, then your VM would boot straight from the NVME (assuming is is passed through as PCI).

Credit: https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/cannot-edit-boot-order-with-nvme-drive.49179/. (last post)

p.s.

As CCC doesn't copy the MacOS main disk EFI by default, you need to do that manually once only, when happy with your OpenCore config, else it won't boot of course. OC crashes badly if your try to use the NVME as a Time Machine or CCC destination and forget to fix the EFI. Then the only way to boot is to remove the NVME PCI, but that defeats the purpose of using it as a backup, so don't forget this step.

Hi,

i many of us are booting from a nvme passed drive with a proper EFI inside it.

you can find ‘how to’ in the guide 

you can find a link for it to first post of this thread

if you want you can read from here:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fabiosun said:

Hi,

i many of us are booting from a nvme passed drive with a proper EFI inside it.

you can find ‘how to’ in the guide 

you can find a link for it to first post of this thread

if you want you can read from here:

Thanks. I'll check the many pages of posts on these threads. Maybe I can find tips to fix sleep, which is the last remaining issue to tackle.

I tried to install Big Sur, but failed several times with newer OpenCores from daily builds. Does anyone have a EFI  folder and kexts compatible with some later OC pre-release from the past few days?

I then found https://www.nicksherlock.com/2020/06/installing-macos-big-sur-beta-on-proxmox/, which actually worked. I'll have to debug latest OC builds to see what changed.

On CPU topology with the 3990x. Seems a power of 2 with at most 64 boots fine on Penryn, but any other topology (non power of 2 or more than 64 e.g. 128) would not. I tried Penryn 28 (no go), 32, 64 (fine), 128 (no go) all 1 socket. Last I tried 2 sockets, 64 each - no go. So 64 still seems to be the limit.

• Supervisor

Latest is a bad news

so cores limit seems to be there

to download a compatible EFI you can download VM assistant from download area

then in a terminal window you can type

vm assistant -doc

it will download an EFi converted in Iso to upload in proxmox

15 minutes ago, meina222 said:

Also, as I saw people referring to this issue in a few posts. The OC version that worked from the link above, does not indeed allow for cpu host on a fresh install. Do later OC versions resolve this?

Some people have this problem

i can instal with host both from usb installer and from a direct instal from app (big Sur app)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, fabiosun said:

When you say no go.. could you post error message do you see?

About more than 64 cores used in your vm config

thank you

I will try the link you suggested and see if I can enable the logs as I ran release/no log OC and didn't see the debug messages post on-screen - just the stuck Apple logo.

Also, I realized my experiment was a bit tainted as I used my Catalina VM to download and create Big Sur .iso disk image and then install it. So I was already running the 64 core Catalina VM, when launching the 64 core Big Sur via the web console. Should have booted Big Sur w the Catalina VM off. I guess what that means is that you can easily run 2 64 core Mac VMs on 3990x, but not sure if that's of any practical interest other than the convenience of testing multiple hacks without shutting your primary Mac VM.

• Moderators
8 hours ago, meina222 said:

Also, as I saw people referring to this issue in a few posts. The OC version that worked from the link above, does not indeed allow for cpu host on a fresh install. Do later OC versions resolve this?

It was not just OC, but also kexts: early on, Lilu and WEG did not allow for BS install. OC and Lilu (v1.4.6; and WEG, if needed) compiled after 28 June should be okay. But until 14 July, special arguments in NVRAM section of OC was needed for proper functioning with BS.

If all are now compiled using "OpenCore Builder", then OC and kexts should be working fine with BS (except maybe the Recovery issues I described above).

Edited by iGPU

• Moderators
8 hours ago, meina222 said:

Thanks. I'll check the many pages of posts on these threads. Maybe I can find tips to fix sleep, which is the last remaining issue to tackle.

Sleep tends not to work well on many Hackintoshes. The initial approach is to turn off settings inside Preferences/Energy Saver (shown below). This is all I do on this VM build and I can leave the computer running for days (to check for stability) without any problems.

Spoiler

EnergySaver.png.edf5d8bb041487c9cd5aa82a31498cb7.png

After that, another solution that I've not tested on this VM build, is using an SSDT (attached) along with an ACPI patch (shown below). Both need to be enabled within OpenCore in the ACPI section.

This was presented on CaseySJ's Golden build (GB Z390 Designare) on another forum. But even CaseySJ finally recommended to people who continually complained about sleep: if you're not going to use the computer for a long time, just turn it off (more green).

Spoiler

ACPI-Patch.png.52c1a343113abfc64bb2fece9de2c0b0.png

SSDT-GPRW.aml.zip

Edited by iGPU

• Supervisor

to build latest opencore release, debug or even master ..I would like to suggest you to use  this script:

with this you can also download latest kext from their original devs (latest builds)

also it could be useful to see this video:

• Like 2

• Supervisor

about sleep in "our" system Proxmox / OSX

When OSX goes to sleep if you see via web interface our vm status, you will see an orange icon near a suspend button

To wake up our osx you have to "un" suspend Proxmox VM status

Remember..we are a guest in a linux system and we can't off entirely our PC.. because theoretically the PC also supports other possible VMs and it is not possible to completely shut it down as happens in a Vanilla hack Then when we awaken it with the help of the web interface, we could have the same problems related to the usb and the monitor as on a traditional hack

• Like 1

On 7/19/2020 at 6:53 PM, iGPU said:

Yes, I used EKWB. They're no longer being made, but I found 2 (one two months ago and the 2nd last week; unfortunately this one

Did you see any dramatic improvements with the GPU water cooling?

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Driftwood said:

Did you see any dramatic improvements with the GPU water cooling?

No. But I've not had time to tweak SoftPowerTable entries.

Also, there no way of monitoring GPU chip thermals (the best I can do is monitor water temps in cooling loop). Even on Intel CPU side, the only way to monitor AMD GPU temps is using FakeSMC (not VirtualSMC) kext together with some specialized add-on kexts. But these don't work with AMD CPU.

I have a water-cooled Radeon VII (single card) on an Intel mobo (GB Xtreme Waterforce). The GPU temps before and after water conversion were easily 20°C cooler with no GPU fans ramping up when stressing the GPU. This conversion is nice, but not essential.

• Like 1

On 7/19/2020 at 11:11 PM, meina222 said:

My setup is

Mobo GB sTRX40 Designare BIOS 4c

3990X 256G Ram at 3200MHZ

PCIE1x16: Asus Stock 5700XT (no longer made, got for MacOS compatibility, unfortunately suffers from reset)

PCIE2x8: Titan Ridge TB (packed w mobo, currently unused other than for charging, keeping so I could passthrough eGPUs in the future as all my other slots are populated)

PCIE3 (4x4x4x4): Aorus Expander Card w x4 1

Can you enter that equipment info in your profile so its always visible below posts (like ours). It's useful for us when we see your posts to be reminded of that hardware is employed - saving us going back to a thread post! Thanks 🙂

Edited by Driftwood
  • Like 1

Another RME card was delivered today (maybe you remember I'd bought a cheap duff one which failed recently)

So now Ive got this new RME HDSPe AIO PCIe card in the computer and removed the firewire card lets test it to see if it works...

I checked Windows first to confirm the card was 'seen' in device manager and it works without problems in browsers with YouTube and music progs on the PC.

So I shutdown Windows and the computer and hard reset, booted to Mac VM, adding the RME card's address to passthru in VFIO (updated Initrims, GRUB, refresh etc) and seeing that it occupied 4d:00 - the old address of my firewire card it replace - it all seemed good so far.

So then I boot Catalina VM up, installed Mac RME Catalina driver. Hard reboot. Restart VM, I can see the RME Hammerfall icon and Totalmix is there. 

The card is seen, and appears in Audio cards, though Transport is 'Unknown'. Opened up Logic its playing back  as I see meters going up and down, however, Totalmix is not receiving anything and I cant hear anything out of the headphones output like I could in Windows. Also Logic Pro  was not happy with the latency of 256 so messed with that. Most importantly theres no audio coming thru the output like Windows was doing, so it doesn't look hopeful...

After further testing, Im getting intermittent sound every now and again when I check 48K down to 44k and back again in the Hammerfall  DSP panel.

Very strange.

Wondering how I can force the 'Transport' to be virtual like the other audio interfaces (Decklink, etc)!

Any thoughts or ideas let me know.

Screen Shot 2020-07-22 at 18.58.54.png

Edited by Driftwood
  • Sad 1

My motherboard and CPU should be with me next week, so I am looking forward to building my first virtual Hackintosh.

I have got through about half of this thread, so hopefully I will be uptodate by the time I start my build. So much information here, thanks guys, but I will have probably forgotten most of it by the time I am up and running.

I have already downloaded the OC_EFI_Maker to get my OC.ISO built, with the latest kexts etc. but am wondering if I need any SSDTs like I use on my Z390 MB and i9-9900k CPU. I haven't seen any mention of SSDTs so I am guessing that I don't need any or I have to make my own.

A pointer as to where I can get any prebuilt ones, if I need them, would be gratefully appreciated.

Cheers.

Edited by Ploddles

• Supervisor
7 hours ago, Ploddles said:

--

A pointer as to where I can get any prebuilt ones, if I need them, would be gratefully appreciated.

Cheers.

You can download a prebuilt EFi with VM assistant, see help for How to

• Like 1
  • +1 1

9 hours ago, Driftwood said:

Another RME card was delivered today (maybe you remember I'd bought a cheap duff one which failed recently)

So now Ive got this new RME HDSPe AIO PCIe card in the computer and removed the firewire card lets test it to see if it works...

I checked Windows first to confirm the card was 'seen' in device manager and it works without problems in browsers with YouTube and music progs on the PC.

So I shutdown Windows and the computer and hard reset, booted to Mac VM, adding the RME card's address to passthru in VFIO (updated Initrims, GRUB, refresh etc) and seeing that it occupied 4d:00 - the old address of my firewire card it replace - it all seemed good so far.

So then I boot Catalina VM up, installed Mac RME Catalina driver. Hard reboot. Restart VM, I can see the RME Hammerfall icon and Totalmix is there. 

The card is seen, and appears in Audio cards, though Transport is 'Unknown'. Opened up Logic its playing back  as I see meters going up and down, however, Totalmix is not receiving anything and I cant hear anything out of the headphones output like I could in Windows. Also Logic Pro  was not happy with the latency of 256 so messed with that. Most importantly theres no audio coming thru the output like Windows was doing, so it doesn't look hopeful...

After further testing, Im getting intermittent sound every now and again when I check 48K down to 44k and back again in the Hammerfall  DSP panel.

Very strange.

Wondering how I can force the 'Transport' to be virtual like the other audio interfaces (Decklink, etc)!

Any thoughts or ideas let me know.

Screen Shot 2020-07-22 at 18.58.54.png

Don't panic yet as it could be a simple fix. RME can be a bit tricky at times, with their driver installs. If you're getting intermittent audio, that's actually promising in my 'glass half full world'.

This is really important I personally see you get this working, as it all hinges on me deciding to leap into a brave new world, with VM Proxmox/AMD, using my RME MADI audio setup.

RME only give you 30 minutes to enable the driver after download/ install, otherwise the driver is blocked and you have to re-install a fresh driver again.  Why they do that, god knows.

I'm sure you've already done the 'Captain obvious' stuff, given your level of expertise, but I'll repeat it for the sake of other 'noobs' reading the thread in future times. Straight after a fresh RME AIO driver download, also make sure it is authorised as a 3rd party app, after you un-lock the "Security and Privacy"  settings in System Preferences.

I see your running Rogue Amoeba Loopback same as myself, (great app.) which in itself can sometimes cause routing issues, or even double up causing echo with Mac internal audio routing, if you're not careful.

I'll post screenshots so you can see my basic settings to enable my RME Madi card to output any audio that's being played, firstly without Loopback enabled. Start by disabling Loopback completely, with all the input set to Off/Red on the left 'Devices' side.

Then go to System Preferences and open "Sound". At the top, click on 'Output' and in the list click on RME HDSPe AIO. Both options should be highlighted Blue.

Your audio interface should not be in 'class compliant' mode. This can also cause issues with the new AIO driver install.

Open your RME DSP Hammerfall, and make sure everything matches your audio sample/ clock/ frame with your RME Audio Interface, with say firstly starting with something simple, like running 44.1 Khz sample rate audio from say music from itunes, or audio from youtube. You should have no flashing LED's on your audio interface if everything is matching.

Open Totalmix, which you're already totally familiar with. With my Madi card, I seem to get an audio 'green' level on stereo channel 33/34 in the middle section for software playback. As per normal, select the bottom hardware outputs row (Highlight Main output or Phones), and increase the level accordingly.

As far as the 'transport' unknown issue, that's the same as what my RME Madi Card also shows in System Preferences, on my normal Mac Pro 5.1 running Mojave?

Hope that helps. If it doesn't, I can also show how I use Rogue Amoeba Loopback settings instead, which I sometimes use to route audio into Logic Pro X, as an input.

Disable Loopback Settings.png

Highlight HDSPe Madi.png

DSP Hammerfall Settings.png

Totalmix with RME Madi.png

Mac Audio Devices Settings .png

Edited by paulthesparky
Add extra screenshot
  • Like 1

@paulthesparky Ive been thru a lot of variables. Interesting to see the MADI card sits on a named slot! (Slot 3)

The firewire LSI card is almost perfect especially when the USB passthru is minimised - ie 48.00 group - 48:00.0, 48.00.1, 48:00.3 are disabled. And you run at only 32 cores.

With the PCIe HDSPe AIO there is definitely something like IRQ Interupt problems, possibly shared which is not quite allowing me to use it.

With PCIe cards, IOMMU handles the memory addresses, the DMA calls, and the timed interupts. And the AIO card is currently all over the place. It needs to be settled.

Investigating a few more options...

It would be nice I guess to get hold of a MADI card as they are newer and perhaps more vm friendly. Have you tried reading it with lspci yet ? Be interested to know the reading?

I will try and loan one from Synthax UK.