Proxmox VE OSX Guide discussion

fabiosun

• Administrators
1 minuto fa, Driftwood ha scritto:

Also the installer for Big Sur goes to 'Do you want to create ISO?' you say yes and then it makes a Mojave ISO!?

Yes, but not use now...

The function for  direct download bigsur and make ISO at the end... it is still under development

I will wait  new beta for check  any changes.
it's too early now and I don't want to spend much time now.

Use apple Store or RunMe_Downloader for download Big Sur installer and after convert  to iso

Simple run ./vm_assistant -cbsfii

• Like 1
  • +1 2

On 7/1/2020 at 10:37 PM, fabiosun said:

Thank you @Rox67er

have you seen in this condition max frequency reached during occt stress test?

and temperature reached in 5 minute test as you did before?

yep, I see higher clock and also higher total power. Was around 230W initial, close to 280W with default setting and up to 330W with +200Mhz PBO overclock

• Supervisor

About frequency , temperature and PBO bios settings on my MSI trx40 pro 10g

PBO enabled

cinebench 17749

temps about 88 degrees

3ds max rendering in vray

95 degrees and maybe CPU throttling

PBO auto

cinebench 16540

temps about 75

3dsmax rendering in vray

85 degrees

same ambient temps and same bios settings only difference is PBO settings above

idle temps about 53 degrees

• Like 1

One good bit of news to report from the X570 AMD Hackintosh community is that Thunderbolt 3 is now working with open core using Mojave. Found this information from TechNolli on youtube, who has recent success with connecting his Apollo twin interface via thunderbolt to run Logic X  with waves plugins all behaving themselves. He used a RYZEN 7 3700X ITX with a ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming-ITX/TB3 Mini iTX. 

Still no joy connecting a thunderbolt display though.

Edited by paulthesparky
spelling error
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, fabiosun said:

@paulthesparky I think @iGPUhave had success with his x570 rig many time ago..for now problem is with trx40/proxmox/linux combinations

I guess that means I'm late to the AMD Thunderbolt party. 😴 Would be great to see it also happen on TRX40/ Proxmox/ Linux, although I don't personally need it for now, but sure others do.

Happy to hear the recent Big Sur successful install news. 😁

• +1 1

• Moderators
4 hours ago, paulthesparky said:

I guess that means I'm late to the AMD Thunderbolt party. 😴 Would be great to see it also happen on TRX40/ Proxmox/ Linux, although I don't personally need it for now, but sure others do.

Happy to hear the recent Big Sur successful install news. 😁

Yes, fabiosun  is correct, some months ago, I had TB3 working with add-on cards (such as the Gigabyte Titan Ridge AIC, but with flashed firmware after CaseySJ) on the X570 platform. However, I was not able to directly flash a Thunderbolt chip on the motherboard, but only on an AIC.

On the VM side, the problem as I've posted earlier in this thread, is different. The problem here is that on Linux VMs (Proxmox or any other distro), one cannot pass the pci-bridge components from host to guest. Without the complete device, the device cannot work in the host VM.

This not only applies to Thunderbolt cards, but also USB and FireWire cards that contain bridge structures. Once Linux allows pass-through of a complete device, then Thunderbolt and other devices should work just fine under a VM.

Edited by iGPU

12 hours ago, iGPU said:

Yes, fabiosun  is correct, some months ago, I had TB3 working with add-on cards (such as the Gigabyte Titan Ridge AIC, but with flashed firmware after CaseySJ) on the X570 platform. However, I was not able to directly flash a Thunderbolt chip on the motherboard, but only on an AIC.

On the VM side, the problem as I've posted earlier in this thread, is different. The problem here is that on Linux VMs (Proxmox or any other distro), one cannot pass the pci-bridge components from host to guest. Without the complete device, the device cannot work in the host VM.

This not only applies to Thunderbolt cards, but also USB and FireWire cards that contain bridge structures. Once Linux allows pass-through of a complete device, then Thunderbolt and other devices should work just fine under a VM.

Rather than doing what you did by flashing an external Thunderbolt card, it now sounds like Open Core is able to access the built in Thunderbolt on at least one particular X570 motherboard.

I'm still slightly dubious whether my RME HDSPe PCIE Madi card will work for audio, given the present issues regarding bridge structures, like in the case of Driftwood using Firewire for audio.

I'll try and do some digging on specs to find out for certain. Is it something that's commonly listed in a specification, or does anyone think I should contact  RME direct?  

I guess I won't know for certain unless I experiment for myself to see if Linux will pass-through  direct.

25 minutes ago, paulthesparky said:

Rather than doing what you did by flashing an external Thunderbolt card, it now sounds like Open Core is able to access the built in Thunderbolt on at least one particular X570 motherboard.

I'm still slightly dubious whether my RME HDSPe PCIE Madi card will work for audio, given the present issues regarding bridge structures, like in the case of Driftwood using Firewire for audio.

I'll try and do some digging on specs to find out for certain. Is it something that's commonly listed in a specification, or does anyone think I should contact  RME direct?  

I guess I won't know for certain unless I experiment for myself to see if Linux will pass-through  direct.

This is the information I found on the RME website for HDSPe PCIE Madi

Technical Specifications

1-Lane PCI Express Endpoint device (no PCI Express to PCI Bridge), revision 1.1.

2.5 Gbps line speed

Packet-based full-duplex communication (up to 500 MB/s transfer rate)

Given this information, does anyone agree the bridging issue does not apply in my particular case?

Edited by paulthesparky
Correction required

11 hours ago, paulthesparky said:

Given this information, does anyone agree the bridging issue does not apply in my particular case

It looks like it should work.

Incidentally, Ive been looking at upgrading to a PCIe RME card. What is the latest and greatest?

Some test here for latency. https://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-computers/618474-audio-interface-low-latency-performance-data-base.html with a massive thread going up to present day.

I hope this transpires well to VMs.

Cheers

latency.jpg

Edited by Driftwood

• Moderators

I don't understand how OpenCore can access Thunderbolt on a motherboard: it's a boot-loader.

And I don't think I'd refer to a TB card as "external" (such as TB-based eGPU external enclosures), since it's plugged into a PCIe slot.

When I used the ASRock X570 Creator, I had the motherboard TB working (to my knowledge, I was first to get it working and posted on CaseySJ's thread; the original SnazzyLab thread in the old AMD Forum in Jan of this year). Besides trying to flash the TB chip on the mobo, I actually de-soldered it and tried replacing with flashed chips. I only had partial success with this method. I finally gave up on the ASRock and transferred the 3950X chip over to a Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master mobo (which happens to have a TB header), and used a flashed TB AIC to get a proper TB tree and full functionality.

So working and having full TB functionality with a proper TB tree are two entirely different things. Unless flashed, I don't believe any TB devices have a proper TB tree and full functionality running in a Hackintosh. However, a partially working TB device on a Hackintosh can be created by a good SSDT (and again, I don't see how a boot-loader can activate a TB device; it makes no sense to me). Full TB functionality with a proper TB tree requires flashing and a good SSDT.

• Like 1

It looks like it should work.

Incidentally, Ive been looking at upgrading to a PCIe RME card. What is the latest and greatest?

Some test here for latency. https://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-computers/618474-audio-interface-low-latency-performance-data-base.html with a massive thread going up to present day.

I hope this transpires well to VMs.

Cheers

Edited by paulthesparky
Removed text/ diagram due to product spamming rules which I uphold

On 7/6/2020 at 3:37 AM, iGPU said:

I don't understand how OpenCore can access Thunderbolt on a motherboard: it's a boot-loader.

And I don't think I'd refer to a TB card as "external" (such as TB-based eGPU external enclosures), since it's plugged into a PCIe slot.

When I used the ASRock X570 Creator, I had the motherboard TB working (to my knowledge, I was first to get it working and posted on CaseySJ's thread; the original SnazzyLab thread in the old AMD Forum in Jan of this year). Besides trying to flash the TB chip on the mobo, I actually de-soldered it and tried replacing with flashed chips. I only had partial success with this method. I finally gave up on the ASRock and transferred the 3950X chip over to a Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master mobo (which happens to have a TB header), and used a flashed TB AIC to get a proper TB tree and full functionality.

So working and having full TB functionality with a proper TB tree are two entirely different things. Unless flashed, I don't believe any TB devices have a proper TB tree and full functionality running in a Hackintosh. However, a partially working TB device on a Hackintosh can be created by a good SSDT (and again, I don't see how a boot-loader can activate a TB device; it makes no sense to me). Full TB functionality with a proper TB tree requires flashing and a good SSDT.

Great to see I'm in amazing company as far as all you guys being the first to discover these new solutions. Yep I'm still learning. Appreciate/ realise the all the work/ time/ effort you put into a Thunderbolt solution. 👋 I've personally only flashed a AMD graphics chip , in order to get my 2011 Macbook Pro to run Catalina using Dosdude1's solution, so by no means an expert, but willing to try things and love it when they work out well. A fair bit of time and research went into that, which makes me appreciate even more what you guys have done previously.

Edited by paulthesparky
Spamming rules which I uphold.

10 hours ago, paulthesparky said:

I'm guessing you also possibly intend to ditch the RME Fireface 800

Probably going to still use my fireface 800s in Stand-Alone mode. Im about to try out a cheap HDSPe AIO card I picked up from a dealer. It should work and give me some indication as to how much better latency in realistic circumstances I can pull off.

If it goes fairly well I could be tempted for the higher spec card!

10 hours ago, paulthesparky said:

Interested to see if Morganaut will divulge her entire build process

I think she has been reliant on groups like this to get her stuff going! LOLz

• Supervisor

if you see i have asked her why she does not use internal card but cheaper HDMI/dp audio from her cheaper monitors..

she answered " i have not speaker connected" 🙂

funny 🙂

however she said an intersting thing answering to some users

She does not use any bootloaders...

we will see "her" methods from about ten episodes from now 🙂 🙂

• Like 1
  • whahahah 1

• Supervisor

I think also she is improving "her" methods reading our progress..

but in her inital videos you can see a virtualized ethernet..and also a orange icon for her catalina disk

She declared also she does no like Unraid

so maybe another Linux distro

• Like 1
  • +1 1

On 7/6/2020 at 11:58 PM, Driftwood said:

Probably going to still use my fireface 800s in Stand-Alone mode. Im about to try out a cheap HDSPe AIO card I picked up from a dealer. It should work and give me some indication as to how much better latency in realistic circumstances I can pull off.

If it goes fairly well I could be tempted for the higher spec card!

I think she has been reliant on groups like this to get her stuff going! LOLz

Really appreciate you testing out the HDSPe AIO. If that works on your system without any audio crackle/ issues, there's basically nothing stopping me going for a AMD 3970/ Proxmox build. 

I've been holding back on pulling the trigger on a build, as the 'you're better off on Intel for stability and optimisation' attitude still persists in audio production, even though the latest/ greatest Intel CPU's have an inferior performance in comparison to AMD.

Recent evidence from many X570 AMD Hackintosh users, suggests it should be fine, but more so on Mojave. Just trying to reduce the risk before diving in, as it's a big decision financially. Audio issues on AMD 3970 with Catalina are mostly resolved. I'm still a big fan of Mojave due to 32/64 bit functionality though, and all waves plugins run fine, without needing to upgrade all of them to 64 bit for Catalina. Decisions, decisions....  

On 7/7/2020 at 12:20 AM, fabiosun said:

I think also she is improving "her" methods reading our progress..

but in her inital videos you can see a virtualized ethernet..and also a orange icon for her catalina disk

She declared also she does no like Unraid

so maybe another Linux distro

Edited by paulthesparky
Reducing off topic chatter as per rules which I uphold

• Supervisor
52 minutes ago, paulthesparky said:

Also noticed when she played the audio tracks through headphones, the Logic X CPU usage meter was spiking erratically on different cores, which suggests maybe there's a bit of snap/ crackle/ pop in the audio.  Another reason for me to hold back on a build. I need 100% assurance, not 99%. That's why I like Mike from TechNolli. He goes the extra mile to prove it all works o.k., and his video's on you tube are totally transparent.

Morganaut is filling a business niche, by offering a service for paid support, and I do wish her well as someone does need to step up to that role, given the precarious nature of what we are all trying to achieve, can be rather daunting at times. 

Audio via DP/Hdmi in Nvidia is perfect, no drop, no crakle or problem for audio

Internal audio (Realtek usb 2.0) and additional USB/firewire audio card could be problematic

I read also on Vanilla AMD rig some people have problem with audio in OSX..but not tested personally

The only interesting things I see in morgonaut click bait site ( : ) ) is the part when she says no need of any boot loaders, but boot loader in our VM does a minimal part for the system functionality

• Like 1

• Moderators

Really appreciate you testing out the HDSPe AIO. If that works on your system without any audio crackle/ issues, there's basically nothing stopping me going for a AMD 3970/ Proxmox build. 

I've been holding back on pulling the trigger on a build, as the 'you're better off on Intel for stability and optimisation' attitude still persists in audio production, even though the latest/ greatest Intel CPU's have an inferior performance in comparison to AMD.

Recent evidence from many X570 AMD Hackintosh users, suggests it should be fine, but more so on Mojave. Just trying to reduce the risk before diving in, as it's a big decision financially. Audio issues on AMD 3970 with Catalina are mostly resolved. I'm still a big fan of Mojave due to 32/64 bit functionality though, and all waves plugins run fine, without needing to upgrade all of them to 64 bit for Catalina. Decisions, decisions.... 

I agree that Mojave has a lot going for  it, and seems to be one of the more stable macOSs (while Catalina, at least until the latest ß-releases, was one of  the least stable).

As for X570, I finally gave up on that platform (I gave the working build to a family member). The X570 chipset has too many issues with lane-sharing  (which I finally figured out and posted on the  old AMD forum; I created a GitHub for that build, from which many have used the SSDTs for other X570 builds). Intel shares PCIe lanes with SATA; AMD chose in the X570 to share lanes with the NVMe  slots, a problem that was further compounded if TB was enabled (TB was placed in the same group of lanes). Meanwhile, we don't see those issues with the TRX40 chipset.

Since I turned off the WiFi on this build, the computer running under Proxmox has been very stable and I get no audio dropout (I'm using a USB-interface). When WiFi was enabled, the computer would freeze within 5 min. I've now left the computer running 24/7 for over one week with no issues running the latest Catalina ß.

I've now even booted into Big Sur on a spare NVMe drive, and it's been running for 24/7 for 3 days without any problems. Well, one problem. I can't get any kext files to load. I'm using OC v060 from 28 June and it boots; if I change to 5 July v060 (which supposedly better loads kexts), it won't boot, but panics. I'm still investigating.

The main limitation of this build to date, is the Linux-related restriction of passing-through various PCIe devices. If such devices are critical for your work, like perhaps some of the RME PCIe boards, then it could be a no-go; you have to test each card to know if  works. My findings with some USB AIC led me to discover that manufacturing changes over time led one card, which had been usable for pass-through, to becoming unusable as it now would not pass-through due to those manufacturing changes. Unfortunately, only the more recently manufactured USB AIC are available for sale. (I'm a bit surprised that Linux hasn't addressed these issues as complex PCIe AICs have been used for a number of years.)

Edited by iGPU

• Moderators
On 7/5/2020 at 10:58 PM, paulthesparky said:

Great to see I'm in amazing company as far as all you guys being the first to discover these new solutions. Yep I'm still learning. Appreciate/ realise the all the work/ time/ effort you put into a Thunderbolt solution. 👋 I've personally only flashed a AMD graphics chip , in order to get my 2011 Macbook Pro to run Catalina using Dosdude1's solution, so by no means an expert, but willing to try things and love it when they work out well. A fair bit of time and research went into that, which makes me appreciate even more what you guys have done previously.

Not sure exactly what Technolli did to get Thunderbolt working. He didn't mention any flashing, so assumed otherwise? Only a partial success as Thunderbolt displays are still no go.

Interested to see if Morganaut will divulge her entire build process as she recently promised she would.  Wondering if she used Proxmox?

Yesterday, I read one of the more significant updates to our understanding of TB. It's related to how the DROM section, which is  critical for proper functioning of the SSDT, is constructed. A new tool was uploaded and discussed in detail here by CaseySJ (who is a true guru for TB; all firmware flashing I did was based on his work). There is also an interesting post he made on same page as the link, but 2 posts up.  I updated some of my SSDT TB DROM using this tool; all needed improvement.

(Morganaut copies off the internet the work of others and charges for her collation. We should share without charge; accordingly, I have no use for her posts.)

Edited by iGPU
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, fabiosun said:

Audio via DP/Hdmi in Nvidia is perfect, no drop, no crakle or problem for audio

Internal audio (Realtek usb 2.0)

My firewire/Fireface 800s are fine without crackle and pops on the main. I think if I push plugins then problems occur but its like any other system. Certainly Im running quite a few sample libraries and its fine.

Im just trying to get better latency now 🙂

If you really want to test your GFX GPU forget the benchmarks. Use Davinci Resolve's temporal and spatial denoiser tabs to truly test how good they are working 🙂

On 6/26/2020 at 6:27 PM, fabiosun said:

I am convinced that air is not enough for our cpu..also with a pretty good as Noctua or Dark pro tr4 cooling system

I have dual Noctua Air fans running and on Davinci Noise Reduction temporal and Spatial tests anything over +6 and +2 temporal frames running constant for 3 minutes causes cpu/gpu fault tolerance shutdowns. Definitely need to look at freezing this cpu and maybe the GPUs!

7 hours ago, iGPU said:

I've now even booted into Big Sur on a spare NVMe drive, and it's been running for 24/7 for 3 days without any problems. Well, one problem. I can't get any kext files to load. I'm using OC v060 from 28 June and it boots; if I change to 5 July v060 (which supposedly better loads kexts), it won't boot, but panics. I'm still investigating.

Ive been trying this Big Sur install and I also am getting the inability to even 'Install MacOS Beta' from USB to a SSD.

I have three kexts loading inc. the virtualSMC (I know u dont need this), latest Lilu, and AGPMInjector.kext ....and getting this:-

It looks like its getting messed up over threads expecting 1 and getting 64?! or an ACPI problem. 

error on usb flash boot with Install MacOS Beta.jpg

Edited by Driftwood

• Moderators
10 hours ago, Driftwood said:

I have dual Noctua Air fans running and on Davinci Noise Reduction temporal and Spatial tests anything over +6 and +2 temporal frames running constant for 3 minutes causes cpu/gpu fault tolerance shutdowns. Definitely need to look at freezing this cpu and maybe the GPUs!

Ive been trying this Big Sur install and I also am getting the inability to even 'Install MacOS Beta' from USB to a SSD.

I have three kexts loading inc. the virtualSMC (I know u dont need this), latest Lilu, and AGPMInjector.kext ....and getting this:-

It looks like its getting messed up over threads expecting 1 and getting 64?! or an ACPI problem. 

When I did the initial install, I set the CPU cores to 32, not the full 64. Aside from the CPU count and arguments, the VM was the same as I used to VM into Catalina. I installed following the directions here, using the recommended VM arguments. I installed directly to the NVMe drive, not a virtual drive, after reformatting the drive.

After installation and into the first boot, I then changed the EFI to a more customized EFI, essentially based on the same one used for Catalina and returned the VM to 64 cores. I slightly modified Sherlock's OpenCore EFI by removing his USBPorts kext and ACPI sections, along with adjusting a few other settings. (I keep this modified copy as a "backdoor" boot access should I foul up the main EFI while experimenting.) From what I've read and used, the Big Sur boot EFI requires more settings than the installation EFI, such as -lilubetaall and vsmcgen=1 along with the NVRAM/Delete 'booster' entry shown below:

NVRAM-Delete.jpg.051660ff9181e044205baee4972c167b.jpg

The above settings were needed for v060 from 28 June. Supposedly, these settings are not required for v060 5 July. However, as I previously posted, I cannot get this latter v060 to boot.

Since most kexts won't load, it didn't matter which ones I had enabled or disabled. I did leave most of the ACPI's disabled. And since I can't load the Ethernet kext, I'm passing a virtual network. I have no BT, so keyboard and mouse are hardwired. Since it's such an early beta, many small things are missing, but not unexpected and not worth discussing in detail.