Proxmox VE OSX Guide discussion

fabiosun

On 6/24/2020 at 4:05 PM, fabiosun said:

tested now

both Catalina amd high Sierra hang in my case

I have tested to boot in windows via opencore boot loader launched from proxmox and it starts well

Capture.PNG.f5c45906c36e00537540191c1dae641d.PNG

not tested ( I will do in a touch) my windows vm (no real disk)

CaptureVM.PNG.5d9e173429703abb41f27a50f591111b.PNG

And second pictures is a vm disk (Proxmox Windows 10)..in both VM I have put 56 as cores number (1 socket)

in VM situation first boot produces a hang , no proxmox logo. I have signals on both monitors but black screen) hard reset system restart again and it booted

Intersting to see that booting with real Windows installation (I use it normally) system is seen as an intel using my vm conf file (100.conf)

Using 104.conf file (windows VM config) system is seen as an AMD with 56 cores

thx for trying. macos is picky on topology but I would say if we pretend to be xeon W it should work as that is also in 28 core version..

On 6/24/2020 at 10:15 PM, fabiosun said:

Big Sur installed..for now no boot

Nice. Did you install onto another vm using the a virtual install partition? or have you found a novel way of doing the installl?

@Rox67er Did you take a look at how Dmesg is currently monitoring the USB devices? Lots of red errors on the USB stuff.

Asrock mentioned to me the following in a email: 

"You could try another setting for Deep Sleep in BIOS > Advanced > ACPI Configuration.

Or try BIOS > Advanced > AMD CBS > CPU Common Options > Power Supply Idle Control > Typical (if available)."

You went through that lot though didnt you?

Edited by Driftwood

• Supervisor

@DriftwoodI have done a direct install from Catalina to a mechanical disk

first and second step ok, then it fails when I have to create the users and choosing language

but I have not tried so much because not useful in my actual pipeline 🙂

• Like 1

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Driftwood said:

Asrock mentioned to me the following in a email: 

"You could try another setting for Deep Sleep in BIOS > Advanced > ACPI Configuration.

Or try BIOS > Advanced > AMD CBS > CPU Common Options > Power Supply Idle Control > Typical (if available)."

I've heard recommendations to set in BIOS for improved stability (same issue but different tabs for MSI mobos):

'Power Supply Idle Control' from 'Auto' to 'Low current idle' (rather than 'Typical').

Personally, I'm not certain that I've noticed a difference.

Edited by iGPU

• Supervisor

@iGPU@all liquid cooling owners on this beast 🙂

could you check temperatures during cinebench 20 (4 run) and maybe during Logic Pro benchmark or more similar bench which stress a bit our cpu?

I am convinced that air is not enough for our cpu..also with a pretty good as Noctua or Dark pro tr4 cooling system

Thank you

I have no problem..but temperature during long benchmark can pass easily 90° (celsius)

• Like 1

• Moderators
12 hours ago, fabiosun said:

@iGPU@all liquid cooling owners on this beast 🙂

could you check temperatures during cinebench 20 (4 run) and maybe during Logic Pro benchmark or more similar bench which stress a bit our cpu?

I am convinced that air is not enough for our cpu..also with a pretty good as Noctua or Dark pro tr4 cooling system

Thank you

I have no problem..but temperature during long benchmark can pass easily 90° (celsius)

When tested running WIndows 10, I never saw temps over upper 70s; definitely below 80°C.

When running macOS, I have CPU fans on radiator set at about 600 rpm until 60°C, then increases to 800 rpm until 80°C, then 1200 rpm until 90°C, then 1600 rpm. The pump similarly is constant and increases after 85°C. I never notice a loud fan or pump during Cinebench tests, so this confirms temps below 80°C under macOS as well.

• Like 1

• Moderators

I wanted more USB ports, esp on desk, so I added this USB hub.

It features 7 switchable USB3 ports and 4 charging ports. I have the hub plugged into one of the rear panel ports on the MSI Creator mobo. It comes with an attached USB cable and power adapter. Between the hub and the mobo, I added a USB extension cable since the mobo is almost 2m from desk.

Edited by iGPU
  • Like 1

On 6/27/2020 at 9:06 AM, fabiosun said:

with MSI boards it is possible to check temperature using internal Q-code display

In my case I see very high temperature when I put in a playing loop 500 or more tracks in Logic Pro

I booted up Win10 and ran 5 min of OCCT. 100% load but somehow all my cores run @ 3.7Ghz , need to check that. Anyhow temps max out at 72C

I run the 360 AIO from Cooler Master: https://www.coolermaster.com/catalog/coolers/cpu-liquid-coolers/masterliquid-ml360-rgb-tr4/

Noise level is very low.

image.png.b62375c7f851aa1561e95d981dd5f1d3.png

• Like 1

• Supervisor
6 hours ago, Driftwood said:

So are you running Big Sur Proxmox and what steps with OC?

I used windows to create a Big Sur disk via Transmac/ full Big Sur dmg

then I have this value in Nvram part of my config:

57688791_ScreenShot2020-06-30at07_53_41.png.f59a14c33eee2aeb629ffa16642ed5aa.png

I can omit (not sure it is the same also for you by now) -lilubetaall and also delete part in Nvram

• Like 2

• Moderators
34 minutes ago, Driftwood said:

@fabiosun Your configs in Proxmox for Big Sur the same ? Im keen to have a go at this in readiness for Big Sur release, so any more info required to get our 3970x boards working the better. Perhaps a new guide?

There is little reason to think that Proxmox settings for a Mac VM would need changing based on the OS version.

The changes, if any, would more likely be in the boot loader section as fabiosun showed in the above post. Since Big Sur is a natural upgrade from Catalina, settings used in Catalina would be a reasonable starting point.

A more significant issue is what software now used won't properly work in Big Sur.

• Supervisor

@Driftwood I have used the same proxmox configuration and I use only a single EFI to boot in HighSierra, Mojave, Catalina, Big Sur

No new guide needed I think.

It is only "tricky" by now how to install 'cause Opencore needs some adjustment I think if you want use a "traditional" installer.

If you have a real Mac dmg or a vm dmg of Big Sur, you can install as I said above (on a windows pc via transmac) and then using your actual opencore efi with only those adding I posted above 🙂

I can't do many things because I have the same Nvidia as before..to surf on web, audio and others stuff are working the same as I have in Catalina OS

• Like 1

13 hours ago, fabiosun said:

@Rox67er try to put PBO in enable from auto (if you want 🙂 )

if you see my freq is @ about 4000 on all cores (i use PBO enable button, in auto it is different in my MSI (lower))

Just set PBO to enable but still at 3700MHz ? 😲

Will look into this if I have some time.

• Supervisor

Yesterday with the help of @Gengik84i did a fresh installation on my system of Big Sur using a beta version of VM assistant app now available in download section.

I have downloaded Big sur complete installation app and converted in an iso file with VM.

i have created a copy of my standard VM.conf file(100.conf) renamed it in 102.conf and modified cpu host to Penryn and also boot args with that ones you can find in original guide with OSK and others args.

uploaded on proxmox Big sur iso and created a cdrom for it in web interface as usual.

in this way is possible to start with opencore and execute first and second installation steps.

then i have replaced again cpu host and boot args with my original used ones and system boots fine in big sur

So now i have done a fresh installation also in Proxmox using only original Apple installation big sur app.

tested on a sata disk and also in a vm disk (512gb/48gb)

• Like 2

On 6/30/2020 at 9:38 PM, Rox67er said:

Just set PBO to enable but still at 3700MHz ? 😲

Will look into this if I have some time.

Well after trying all PBO / overclock settings in bios without result (steady 3.7ghz on all cores) I installed Ryzen master and after one reboot I now see switching frequencies on all cores. Ranging from 3.4 to 4.2ghz. After this also the bios settings seem to work normal now... anyhow temps stay well under 75 degree and even below 85 with aggressive overclock (330 W)

• Like 1

On 6/27/2020 at 6:54 AM, iGPU said:

I wanted more USB ports, esp on desk, so I added this USB hub.

It features 7 switchable USB3 ports and 4 charging ports. I have the hub plugged into one of the rear panel ports on the MSI Creator mobo. It comes with an attached USB cable and power adapter. Between the hub and the mobo, I added a USB extension cable since the mobo is almost 2m from desk.

Just ordered one. Thanks for the tip.

On 7/1/2020 at 6:23 AM, fabiosun said:

Yesterday with the help of @Gengik84i did a fresh installation on my system of Big Sur using a beta version of VM assistant app now available in download section.

I have downloaded Big sur complete installation app and converted in an iso file with VM.

i have created a copy of my standard VM.conf file(100.conf) renamed it in 102.conf and modified cpu host to Penryn and also boot args with that ones you can find in original guide with OSK and others args.

uploaded

So this option seems to work for Big Sur on VM Assistant):-

Download Big Sur full Installer(dp1):

/Users/username/Downloads/VM_Assistant -dbs 

This one goes back to VM Assistant menu only

/Users/username/Downloads/VM_Assistant --downloadbigsure

Is it because of typo? Maybe @Gengik84 left an 'e' on the end of BigSur!?

Edited by Driftwood