Proxmox VE OSX Guide discussion

fabiosun

Just now, fabiosun said:

@GDS

Could clarify better your motherboard model?

Is an Asus?

because Aorus master should be gigabyte 🙂 🙂

you are DEFINITELY right it is a Gigabyte AORUS MASTER 
I am soooo used to have ASUS for Hackintosh that I wrote ASUS and not GIGA 😄

• +1 1

• Supervisor
1 hour ago, GDS said:

but I thought to use PROXMOX for each VM:

activate the PCI of the radeon VII for the CATALINA VM
activate the PCI of the 1080Ti for the Win 10 VM

I guess it is the cleanest way, what do you think?

I have a tiny question:

i am not a Linux expert at all, and I ask to myself which hardware configuration (passthrough) could be the best:

I have 2 NVMe, one would be dedicated to CATALINA and the other to WIN10
but about PROXMOX? is it possible and reliable to install everything on a 32Gb USB3 key and leave it as it 
or better to buy a new NVMe of 128Gb dedicated to PROXMOX (I dont think that divide one of the 2 NVMe for PROXMOX is good idea 😞 

anyway it is very exciting to see how my rig will work and share with the community how it goes 

First big decision is to choose where to install Proxmox

Controller used for this disk could be problematic to pass

Personally I have installed it on a SSD Samsung pro 840 pro connected to an USB 3.2 type C (as media in my mb backplate)

In this way I can pass pretty easily all my SATA, NVME,USB controllers and use disks I have without problem

Proxmox is better to leave it separate from other disk/os

I would suggest to read well my guide and also user experiences and to familiarise with some problems people have had encountered in this configuration 

to be more clear..in my system I have OSX High Sierra on a Sabrent NVME disk, OS Windows 10 64 bit on a Samsung 960 pro Nvme disk (both disk passed completely and independent by Proxmox or VM stuff
then I have passed my Sata controllers completely (2 10 tb disks, 2 6 tb disks , 1 dvd/BD recorder and a spare disk I use connected with and external sata device)
I have also Catalina installed on a "VM file disk" but I do not use it so much because my gfx is not supported

Waiting for your initial finding/test 🙂

• Like 2

yes I agree about separate all OS and ProxMox

How much space would you recommend for Proxmox? 

website says 1 Gb mini, and you have 256Gb (if I remember) 

concerning a SSD or an USB flash drive I don't see any huge differences

(the last one can have 440/330 in read and write and there fits perfectly on the back of the computer) 😉 
So i will go through a speedy USB key 

Edited by GDS

• Supervisor

I use a SSD 240 Gb

It is not so important to have big size if you do not use virtual machine in disk file format

Also speed is not important..in my initial study in this project I have used a spare 2.5'' laptop disk of about 7 years ago 🙂

as fast advice I would like to say if you have a working OSX to clone in this AMD rig from other hack or real Mac, you can try to build only a proper EFI for it a boot with it...

It is possible 🙂

• Like 1
  • +1 1

Hello,

OK well in had some more time to work on this. I was booting fine to proxmox few days ago. I come back today. Start my system up and i does not load anything. It like my network card is dead. The light on my hub goes dim when promos loads. I cant even ping the last Ip i had to access it from another computer. Has anyone had this issue before? But the lights come on when i power cycle the computer. But goes off when proxmox starts. After doing a little more troubleshooting i see im getting kernel panic. Here a picture of what i am seeing.

20200616_145143 (1).jpg

Edited by cj750

48 minutes ago, cj750 said:

Hello,

OK well in had some more time to work on this. I was booting fine to proxmox few days ago. I come back today. Start my system up and i does not load anything. It like my network card is dead. The light on my hub goes dim when promos loads. I cant even ping the last Ip i had to access it from another computer. Has anyone had this issue before? But the lights come on when i power cycle the computer. But goes off when proxmox starts. After doing a little more troubleshooting i see im getting kernel panic. Here a picture of what i am seeing.

Check to see if your bios settings have changed. You downloaded the new beta  firmware I take?  You may have to sort out the same error I had with Ethernet,  and load the real driver (realtek 8125) assigned and active to enp70s0  and using the vmbr0 Linux bridge so that the status in port/slaves (see Network tab of pve) is at address 192.168.1.134 (gateway = your network home gateway)

Then is the Mac VM ther Aquantia will be wicked up by DHCP and assign its own address.

Edited by Driftwood

Just now, Driftwood said:

I use the same but tbh looking at the way Proxmox is using this single VM and a couple of ISOs you could get away with a cheap old 64GB ssd!

No, im still on P1.60. I wanted to fine tune the system and mack a backup before change the bios. But i will check my setting in bios and do the update to see is that helps. BRB

2 hours ago, Driftwood said:

1.63 is safe man. Works treat. ASRock will be releasing it very soon judging by responses back from them.

Ok after doing some research on the error it seem my Kernel panic on boot: run-init: /sbin/init files were deleted or damage during an update. Assuming proxmox run on Ubuntu/ Debian Linux maybe i can repair it with a live cd to reinstall. Because i cant find anything for proxmox. 

I dont want to have to reinstall proxmox again and setup everything up. I wish there was a repair feature to just install files. When i go thru the install. It wants to me create a new install as if it does not see the old one. Before i do this. Is there a way to repair the original setup of PM.

I also did the update. I didnt notice in the old bios that you could turn off the WIFi 6 AX200 and the 2.5 and 10 network. I found it in the Advanced\AMD PBS options.

Edited by cj750

1 hour ago, Driftwood said:

@cj750Did you recover / debug on the Proxmox boot intro screen?

I can get to the debug screen on the prom usb boot disk. But everything iv read online to start the recovery. It say it cant find the files. Im still looking for commands or guide to help recover these files. I ready dont want to rebuild from scratch. I did make a backup , but that was for the MacosVM. You have a link or guide you know about?

27 minutes ago, cj750 said:

I can get to the debug screen on the prom usb boot disk. But everything iv read online to start the recovery. It say it cant find the files. Im still looking for commands or guide to help recover these files. I ready dont want to rebuild from scratch. I did make a backup ,

Sounds like the get apt update failed badly and you have corruption in the partition. Looking around theres long ways of getting round it like https://askubuntu.com/questions/834053/how-recover-from-a-bad-update-and-no-sbin-init but tbh a reinstall is easier. Recreating the VM is easy and you already have MacOS installed on the M2 so it shouldnt take long.

6 minutes ago, Driftwood said:

Sounds like the get apt update failed badly and you have corruption in the partition. Looking around theres long ways of getting round it like https://askubuntu.com/questions/834053/how-recover-from-a-bad-update-and-no-sbin-init but tbh a reinstall is easier. Recreating the VM is easy and you already have MacOS installed on the M2 so it shouldnt take long.

OK , well i get started. Thank you again for reaching out so quickly.

13 hours ago, cj750 said:

yes please.. that would help allot

If you look at my diagrams on previous pages everything should make sense but take a look at this xls spreadsheet which shows you my latest VFIO.conf  and 100.conf - * in the first column, 2nd column is just notes for you!

Put your lonewolf spinners on port 5, 6, 7 or 8. On port 1 (or 2, 3 or 4) you will have your proxmox drive - remember you're NOT going to pass that. We are only passing ports 5-8 on the address 48:00.0

Work out your address for the GPUs again and replace my Radeon VII entries with yours.

I have two Phison (MP600) m2 drives like you. My third M2 is a Samsdung as you can see. If you have a third M2 it will probably be on a similar address as the Samusung.

Remember if you change ANYTHING in the modprobe.d section its important to  initramfs, update grub refresh and shutdown switch off restart as in this order on command line - hit return after each line;-

update-initramfs -u -k all

update-grub

pve-efiboot-tool refresh

shutdown -h now

Then, Switch off computer at back, count to 5, switch back on, restart. 

Any BIOS settings have been discussed either by me or @Rox67er in the previous few pages. You can boot with Load UEFI defaults* to install Proxmox and then after logging in to proxmox create a new VM and then edit it to the settings I have shown in Spreadsheet using nano or vim.

*Change to the new BIOS settings after creating the VM for the first time on reboot.

Attached is the spreadsheet for you to download.

Please note to change memory for your VM.conf (mine is running 256GB DIMMs less 16GB in my 100.conf giving 240GB or memory: 245760 for Mac OS)  to however much memory you have (which I think you have 128GB?) to say minus 8GB (your mem total minus 8096). This means you're leaving 8GB for the Proxmox host to safely run under.

trx40 creator with mp600 m2s.xlsx.zip

Edited by Driftwood

1 hour ago, Driftwood said:

If you look at my diagrams on previous pages everything should make sense but take a look at this xls spreadsheet which shows you my latest VFIO.conf  and 100.conf - * in the first column, 2nd column is just notes for you!

Put your lonewolf spinners on port 5, 6, 7 or 8. On port 1 (or 2, 3 or 4) you will have your proxmox drive - remember you're NOT going to pass that. We are only passing ports 5-8 on the address 48:00.0

Work out your address for the GPUs again and replace my Radeon VII entries with yours.

I have two Phison (MP600) m2 drives like you. My third M2 is a Samsdung as you can see. If you have a third M2 it will probably be on a similar address as the Samusung.

Remember if you change ANYTHING in the modprobe.d section its important to  initramfs, update grub refresh and shutdown switch off restart as in this order on command line - hit return after each line;-

update-initramfs -u -k all

update-grub

pve-efiboot-tool refresh

shutdown -h now

Then, Switch off computer at back, count to 5, switch back on, restart. 

Any BIOS settings have been discussed either by me or @Rox67er in the previous few pages. You can boot with Load UEFI defaults* to install Proxmox and then after logging in to proxmox create a new VM and then edit it to the settings I have shown in Spreadsheet using nano or vim.

*Change to the new BIOS settings after creating the VM for the first time on reboot.

Attached is the spreadsheet for you to download.

Please note to change memory for your VM.conf (mine is running 256GB DIMMs less 8GB in my 100.conf giving 240GB or memory: 245760 for MAc OS)  to however much memory you have less 8GB (your mem total minus 8096). This means you're leaving 8GB for the Proxmox host to safely run under.

trx40 creator with mp600 m2s.xlsx.zip 7.97 kB · 0 downloads

Thank you for all this. I will get back to you when I complete. TY again for guide.

• Supervisor
11 hours ago, Driftwood said:

@fabiosun I use the same but tbh looking at the way Proxmox is using this single VM and a couple of ISOs you could get away with a cheap old 64GB ssd!

How's @iGPU and @Rox67er doing ? All working now?

In my test I use also a catalina and a windows vm on vm file disks

to stay safe about their system upgrade I have both of about 48/32 gb each..

for me this is useful to understand and solve problems

1987704946_ScreenShot2020-06-17at09_30_55.png.99d31d38c7da7fd24c7560ffdd7448a1.png

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Driftwood said:

@fabiosun I use the same but tbh looking at the way Proxmox is using this single VM and a couple of ISOs you could get away with a cheap old 64GB ssd!

How's @iGPU and @Rox67er doing ? All working now?

@Driftwood well still alive. Been having some short nights sleep over this USB issue. 🥴 I went back to using the USB-C port for my USB connections. I cannot get reliable boot with the internal ports passed through. Went to MacPro 7,1 bios but no improvement, changed the order of hostpci (which does change things in the VM, I had to re-assign the built-in property) but also no improvement. Spent hours tweaking bios settings. No improvement.

I still run 1.63 beta bios which seems fine. I think the improvement I had was coming from the bios upgrade where it resets all settings. (Not the same as load defaults in bios) I did a HW bios reset (button on the back) and got a few proper boots with USB passed through then get 99 error again every 2nd reboot. It seems like something gets written in bios which doesn't clear. I can tell if the reboot will work or not by listening to the GPU fans spinning up. If they only have a short whoosh everything is fine, if they already start spinning at the E0 Dr Debug code they spin longer, will boot ok but next reboot gives 99 error. 🤯

53 minutes ago, Rox67er said:

Been having some short nights sleep over this USB issue

@Rox67er Which USB ports are you trying to pass? I only use the ones supplied in my configs.

I also use XHCI in BIOS ALL variations 'Enabled' as they are notorious for going missing in 'Auto'.

Edited by Driftwood

• Moderators
6 hours ago, Rox67er said:

@Driftwood well still alive. Been having some short nights sleep over this USB issue. 🥴 I went back to using the USB-C port for my USB connections. I cannot get reliable boot with the internal ports passed through. Went to MacPro 7,1 bios but no improvement, changed the order of hostpci (which does change things in the VM, I had to re-assign the built-in property) but also no improvement. Spent hours tweaking bios settings. No improvement.

I  don't know if it holds true for these VM builds, but on typical, bare-metal Hackintosh builds, USB problems have been associated with faulty Power Supplies. If you have another PS (and better yet, a different brand), it might be a useful test to swap out your current PS to see how this affects your USB functionality.

19 minutes ago, iGPU said:

I  don't know if it holds true for these VM builds, but on typical, bare-metal Hackintosh builds, USB problems have been associated with faulty Power Supplies

@iGPU  What PSU u running? Did the firewire materialise yet? Are you up and running perfect?

Edited by Driftwood

6 hours ago, Driftwood said:

@Rox67er Which USB ports are you trying to pass? I only use the ones supplied in my configs.

I also use XHCI in BIOS ALL variations 'Enabled' as they are notorious for going missing in 'Auto'.

Well only the two in the same group (47:00.1 and 47:00.3 in my case, I think you have 46:00.1 and 3 because you disabled internal wifi)

I haven't tried XHCI USB settings. Maybe will give that a try.

37 minutes ago, iGPU said:

I  don't know if it holds true for these VM builds, but on typical, bare-metal Hackintosh builds, USB problems have been associated with faulty Power Supplies. If you have another PS (and better yet, a different brand), it might be a useful test to swap out your current PS to see how this affects your USB functionality.

Thanks for the hint iGPU, I use a Corsair HX1200i but I did have an issue with the supply making strange static noises. (as if it was sparking) It did go away though and I checked all voltages and they seem OK. I don't have a spare on hand but will think about this.