Proxmox VE OSX Guide discussion

fabiosun

• Moderators
On 6/12/2020 at 4:56 AM, Driftwood said:

Im asking ASRock these very questions and to fill in all the addresses being employed on the motherboard for the two SATAs (which is controlling which ports?) and the USB 2.0 device, front panel addresses etc...

I posted this information several days ago here.

• Ok 1

6 hours ago, iGPU said:
6 hours ago, iGPU said:
On 6/12/2020 at 12:56 PM, Driftwood said:

Im asking ASRock these very questions and to fill in all the addresses being employed on the motherboard for the two SATAs (which is controlling which ports?) and the USB 2.0 device, front panel addresses etc...

I posted this information several days ago here.

Ah I must have missed that @iGPU sorry. Funny how the addresses are inverted for the SATAs. I was predicting 5-8 to be on 49:00 but they ended up at 48:00.  Guess it's just IOMMU movement between different boards/cards being used.  So glad it works though. 

I'm kinda set now till the broadcom arrives.

Did u get your FireWire sorted?

• Supervisor
9 minutes ago, Driftwood said:

@fabiosuni downloaded candle test and get 24fps continuous and with 8 implementations running. Is that how it's supposed to work? I couldn't see any clear instructions as to how to use it! The one on the site doesn't really tell u what to use or do?

from project settings unlock project frame rate in this way (use a number greater of your main monitor hz refresh:

464380967_ScreenShot2020-06-14at12_15_45.png.82ca0d086a9857859e8df3c00a5efa58.png

then from color page tab load proper node setup try with 66 load and hit spacebar/play
then try with 6 node and hit play

right mouse click on miniature to see those options:

955033278_ScreenShot2020-06-14at12_16_06.png.3ab85817b97859821c1fa4d8b030a9e6.png

• Like 1

• Supervisor

see also in Davinci preferences if you have choose metal or openCL option and both radeon selected:

1606983798_ScreenShot2020-06-14at12_21_41.png.85fbe097c33209411656022063e7b796.png

in metal you should achieve better results

Edited by fabiosun
added other infos
  • Like 1

I found something interesting regarding passing all cores to VM.

When passing all 64 cores to OSX VM I noticed a short audio dropout when playing Spotify and in parallel starting up Fusion 360. I also saw the Proxmox disk led blinking indicating some activity. So I tried the same when only passing 32 cores to OSX VM. I started and stopped Fusion 360 several times and don't have one audio dropout.

So there definitely is some impact of passing all cores to the VM but I can't figure out what Fusion is doing to cause this.

I tried passing 56 cores but MacOs won't start. Seems only 32 and 64 work. Did anybody get other # cores working? How?

25 minutes ago, Rox67er said:

I tried passing 56 cores but MacOs won't start. Seems only 32 and 64 work. Did anybody get other # cores working? How?

@Rox67er Yeah I would say 32 cores is extremely safe and no errors. ON 64 cores I do get the very occasional audio pop on playback of videos. But its much better than when I was experiencing it before. I actually switched the firewire and decklink pcie cards around (lanes 2&4) and it didnt really make much difference - apart from IOMMU changed).

Overall the pops are very very rare so I can live with it. On benchmarks at 32 cores I was around 66% performance Im now seeing with 64 cores...! 

I also read somewhere when you change cores to use the power of 2, so its only 2, 4, 8, 16, 32 or 64 is our choice!

Edited by Driftwood

2 hours ago, fabiosun said:

see also in Davinci preferences if you have choose metal or openCL option and both

@fabiosun So on 6 TRN Im getting at 200 fps playback 26-27 on the fps on repeat playback?

On 66 blur nodes at 200 playback Im gettting 33-34?

Is this good or shit? I have got a few other apps open like this web browser though.

Im noticing rendering Apple Pro Res Raw in FCPX is insanely quick.

Here's a quick video showing test - of course I have a few background apps going off so it is better than this!

Edited by Driftwood

• Supervisor

@Driftwood
If I don't disturb too much, could you check the % of use of the two GPUs during the test? With 6 TRN nodes we go the same with my unique TitanXp

Thanks

449836653_ScreenShot2020-06-14at17_27_05.png.66d877ca2864316c2c88899f943ffd9e.png

Edited by fabiosun
added GPU activity monitor during DVR Test
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, fabiosun said:

If I don't disturb too much, could you check the % of use of the two GPUs during the test? With 6 TRN nodes we go the same with my unique TitanXp

@fabiosun Here's Activity Monitor reports on Davinci tests. I guess you are looking good on your Titan?

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Driftwood said:

Luxmark 3.1

Had quite a few progs running in background but you get the gist!

255403704_ScreenShot2020-06-15at00_38_32.png.bda01fbe6a9dc1a6f6e04cc9b1ddd69a.png

How many CPU are you using in your VM? Didnt know if you stayed with 32 ofd the 64 because of the audio pops. 

Edited by cj750

39 minutes ago, cj750 said:

How many CPU are you using in your VM? Didnt know if you stayed with 32 ofd the 64 because of the audio pops

Back to 64. Seems much better now since the BIOS changes and fw update (the popping is rare).

• Supervisor

@Driftwood thank you for your benchmark

it seems also for you that in 6 TRN node condition both gpu are not used at their max power

results are very good

in my case i have lower results compared to yours

about 18 fps for 66 noise node and about 28 in 6 TRN node

it seems in my case i have more cpu cores used during testing..maybe highsierra related.

• Like 1

• Supervisor

According to your results it is as it should be. So if it is stable you have reached your goal😊

now it is only a job for proxmox Linux kernel Programmers to improve some things as usb or audio incongruences we may have in some circumstances..and maybe Apple OS X software engineers😂

• Like 1

Thanks @fabiosun for the inspiration and godfather of this project. Without seeing your video & guide I would never have got here. Thanks to all here for helping - it's a great group.

And a BIG mention to @Pavo for sorting all my configs, saving me on numerous occasions! His git guide gets better every week. 

Edited by Driftwood
  • Like 1
  • +1 1

Hello All,
Just going to say thank you to @fabiosun to this guide, and all of the people who participate on this discussion and have same rig as me

a huge step forward to OS X lovers and Threadripper users

(btw fabiosun, we had long discussions by PM,  years ago on another forum about OS X, I was using a 2699v4 with 2 Titans X, don't know if you remember) 😉

About my rig used for this project:

a 3970X + GigaByte TRX40 Aorus Master 
RADEON VII + 1080Ti Extreme 
128Gb DDR4 2400 

2x m2 NVMe + 2x SSD + 6 x 10Tb HDD 

EVERYTHING will be fully water-cooled in EKWB (thermal dissipation more than 1500W) and OC to have the best of each part! 

Again thx to all and I will post my different steps and results concerning the programs I use:

3D modeling, VR, AR, XR: Blender, Unity, 3DCoat, Reality Capture, ...
But also others like: DaVinci, Adobe suite etc etc

Edited by GDS
mistake about Aorus master label

• Supervisor

hi @GDSwelcome here

I remember a bit our discussions years ago! 🙂

You are the first one participating here with an Asus motherboard and most difficult task with a dual GFX chipset rig to configure

I think you will happy of your results if you will be able to solve little problem you could have 🙂

All softwares you use should work at its best in Proxmox/OSX..I have some doubt about dual gpu (different gpu) but it is a good challenge )

• Like 1
  • +1 1

Thx a lot 

So i am studying your flow to have everything fine

About ASUS, GIGABYTE, I don't think it will make crazy troubles, let see how it goes but I am pretty confident concerning the compatibility

I will go through CLOVER that I know well and I love, OpenCore looks super nice but i guess too early for me to use it 

and with CLOVER I can overclock the Radeon VII (Power Table Generator injected in Clover) to have a beast on water 😄

About dual GPU yes tricky tricky but I love challenge and I guess it can help the community:

I thought to approach the problem in clean way, I mean I need the 1080Ti only for Win10 and the radeon VII only for Catalina 

I can of course put flags in CLOVER to not activate the Nvidia so no conflicts as CATALINA will consider the 1080Ti not existing at all

and having on WIN10: 1080Ti and Radeon in Windows 10 but this solution will be a huge source of conflicts for sure soon or later 

but I thought to use PROXMOX for each VM:

activate the PCI of the radeon VII for the CATALINA VM
activate the PCI of the 1080Ti for the Win 10 VM

I guess it is the cleanest way, what do you think?

I have a tiny question:

i am not a Linux expert at all, and I ask to myself which hardware configuration (passthrough) could be the best:

I have 2 NVMe, one would be dedicated to CATALINA and the other to WIN10
but about PROXMOX? is it possible and reliable to install everything on a 32Gb USB3 key and leave it as it 
or better to buy a new NVMe of 128Gb dedicated to PROXMOX (I dont think that divide one of the 2 NVMe for PROXMOX is good idea 😞 

anyway it is very exciting to see how my rig will work and share with the community how it goes 

Edited by GDS
mistake on mobo label
  • Cross Finger 1

• Supervisor

@GDS

Could clarify better your motherboard model?

Is an Asus?

because Aorus master should be gigabyte 🙂 🙂

I am asking to see if you have also an USB (asmedia controller)

If so to pass all controller the easy way could be to use a disk attached to that USB controller 

• Like 1