Proxmox VE OSX Guide discussion

fabiosun

4 hours ago, cj750 said:

From follow the post. It best to install proxm. On to a SSD and to also leave the iso on them. And leave my M2 drive as scratch drives to run other programs? Am I correct in this logic of setting this up. To use my

Yes as @fabiosun says. Install Proxmox from a bootable USB stick to a small old SSD  for booting the Proxmox host server, storing your ISOs and vm configs. SSDs are more reliable than using a USB stick to install onto. You will attach this drive to the rear Admedia USB C port.

You may have to buy a SATA to USB C adapter. They're easy to find on Amazon. I used my laptop one. 

Then install Mac (use the 2gb DMG install Mac OS .dmg) onto internal SSD on one of your SATA ports or if you have an M2 drive or two you can use one of them.

Then use your spare m2s as data drives for the serious number crunching work like audio and video data!

Edited by Driftwood
  • Like 1
  • Ok 1

• Supervisor

Apple hates our Realtek 2.0 audio sorry I choose wrong Realtek 2.0 audio on my sound settings

it is gone again now, no audio Also in 10.15.6 first beta is working well and the only problem is jack detection as before

Cheap usb audio is always working fine as in 10.15.5 release

Edited by fabiosun
Wrong assertion corrected :)
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Driftwood said:

Yes as @fabiosun says. Install Proxmox from a bootable USB stick to a small old SSD  for booting the Proxmox host server, storing your ISOs and vm configs. SSDs are more reliable than using a USB stick to install onto. You will attach this drive to the rear Admedia USB C port.

You may have to buy a data to USB C adapter. They're easy to find on Amazon. I used my laptop one. 

Then install Mac (use the 2gb DMG install Mac OS .dmg) onto internal SSD on one of your SATA ports or if you have an M2 drive or two you can use one of them.

Then use your spare m2s as data drives for the serious number crunching work like audio and video data!

Got it! Thank for a clear explanation on how do this. Fabiossun guide is great. But maybe when his guide is final this could be added in a FAQ area. 👍 

• Supervisor

I hope many people, also silent people following here without participating, share their experiences to do a more useful and generic guide possible.

i take note of all your observation and when I can verify by myself I will add o. Original post to improve my guide😉

• Like 1

RAM Tips for TRX40 Boards

So Ive been using 64Gb HypeX 3600 4x16 DIMMS in my setup (HyperX HX436C17PB3K4/64 Predator DDR4 64 GB (Kit 4 x 16 GB), 3600 MHz CL17 DIMM XMP) which are great at 3600, and work with XMP 1, but Im thinking of upgrading to 128Gb and it doesnt look like HyperX have anything compatible.

I've been looking around for 'compatible' options and so far here's the links (please add yours!);-

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1133083-best-ram-and-configuration-tipps-on-ryzen-thredripper-3970x-build/

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/rJkgXL/gskill-ripjaws-v-128-gb-4-x-32-gb-ddr4-3200-memory-f4-3200c16q-128gvk

Edited by Driftwood

RAM Tips for TRX40 Boards

So Ive been using 64Gb HypeX 3600 4x16 DIMMS in my setup (HyperX HX436C17PB3K4/64 Predator DDR4 64 GB (Kit 4 x 16 GB), 3600 MHz CL17 DIMM XMP) which are great at 3600, and work with XMP 1, but Im thinking of upgrading to 128Gb and it doesnt look like HyperX have anything compatible.

I've been looking around for 'compatible' options and so far here's the links (please add yours!);-

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1133083-best-ram-and-configuration-tipps-on-ryzen-thredripper-3970x-build/

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/rJkgXL/gskill-ripjaws-v-128-gb-4-x-32-gb-ddr4-3200-memory-f4-3200c16q-128gvk

I run G.Skill DDR4 Ripjaws-V 4x32GB 3200Mhz [F4-3200C16Q-128GVK]

run fine on ASRock TRX40 and leave option to 256GB open. 😋

Edited by Rox67er

• Moderators

I've finally re-established stability, and it's using the same CPU (which I believe had it's microcode re-written by ArcoLinux <-- thank-you!).

Both Radeon VIIs were passed, and today computer has run for 12 hours without any problems. I did inactivate sleep by adjusting Energy Saver (which doesn't work anyway on most Hackintoshes). See Spoiler below. This image was sent to my laptop via AirDrop which works on this build with swapped BT/WiFi card. However, I needed to pass 48:00.3 which powers BT. Without specifically passing 48:00.3, BT did not work. Below is the rear panel for MSI Creator.

Spoiler

TRX40-Energy-Saver.png.1987e526ed007bcd34d30f8e62bcd8ad.png

MSI TRX40 Creator mobo (previously posted here😞

MSI-Creator-RearPanel-annotated.jpg.8b07b2d3eb774143396854e01da1d84b.jpg

Basically, passing 48:00.3 covers most of the internal ports and rear panel. 48:00.3 must be passed if using a swapped BT/WiFi card, or else there is no USB to power the BT component. 48:00.1 covers the 4-stack and has interwoven, according to IORegistryExplorer, the ASM107 device. So while ASMedia specifically controls the USB-C port, it also is somehow involved with 48:00.1 in the 4-stack ports.

The references to XHC and XHCI are from my custom SSDT file. The 10,3 and 10,4 are device locations as reported by IORegistryExplorer.

Proxmox is located at 43:00.0 on an NVMe drive, which, of course, is not passed. The MSI Creator mobo has 3 NVMe slots. What are passed in the VM are the following (no SATAs to date, but they're coming, described here😞

Spoiler

# two Radeon VII
hostpci0: 23:00,pcie=1,x-vga=1
hostpci1: 4d:00,pcie=1

# NVMe drives
hostpci2: 01:00.0
hostpci3: 02:00.0

# ASMedia USB
hostpci4: 44:00.0,pcie=1,rombar=0

# Aqantia Ethernet
hostpci5: 45:00.0,pcie=1,rombar=0

# Swapped BT/Wifi card
hostpci6: 46:00.0,pcie=1,rombar=0

# Mastisse USB (both 48:00.1 and 48:00.3)
hostpci7: 48:00,pcie=1,rombar=0

VM:

Spoiler

args: -device isa-applesmc,osk="ourhardworkbythesewordsguardedpleasedontsteal(c)AppleComputerInc" -smbios type=2 -cpu host,kvm=on,vendor=GenuineIntel,+hypervisor,+invtsc,+ssse3,+sse4.2,+avx,+avx2,+fma,+bmi1,+bmi2,+aes,+tsc_scale,+tsc_adjust,+pcid -machine q35,kernel_irqchip=on
balloon: 0
bios: ovmf
boot: d
cores: 64
cpu: host
efidisk0: local-lvm:vm-100-disk-1,size=4M
hostpci0: 23:00,pcie=1,x-vga=1
hostpci1: 4d:00,pcie=1
hostpci2: 01:00.0
hostpci3: 02:00.0
hostpci4: 44:00.0,pcie=1,rombar=0
hostpci5: 45:00.0,pcie=1,rombar=0
hostpci6: 46:00.0,pcie=1,rombar=0
hostpci7: 48:00,pcie=1,rombar=0
machine: q35
memory: 65536
name: macOS
numa: 1
ostype: other
sockets: 1
usb0: host=045e:07f8
usb1: host=22d4:1803
vga: none
vmgenid: 3006dd02-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-c3c358d06653

Edited by iGPU
Updated 48:00 associations and panel.
  • Like 1
  • Ok 1
  • +1 1

• Supervisor

Hi @iGPUI do not know your EFI folder, but if you pass cpu as Host you can clean so much your VM args.

Also is a good news if it is verified about Archlinux microcode save..also a bit terrific news..if it is a not controllable by users feature 🙂

• Like 1

5 hours ago, iGPU said:

48:00.1 isn't too important for me since I'm not using on-board audio (but instead, a USB audio interface). However, 48:00.1 does supply several USB ports on the rear panel. 25:00.3 above, where I've plugged the keyboard and mouse, is effectively passed in the VM (spoiler at bottom) using usb0: host=045e:07f8 and usb1: host=22d4:1803. So the only item not specifically passed is 04:00.3, however, this port is active.

Are you sure? 48:00.3 should supply those rear ports without audio. Q. Whats with the Reset / no reset you've marked?

So you're getting no change if Rombar=1 on or 0 off on the USB ports - ie its ineffective ?

Edited by Driftwood

Are you sure? 48:00.3 should supply those rear ports without audio. Q. Whats with the Reset / no reset you've marked?

So you're getting no change if Rombar=1 on or 0 off on the USB ports - ie its ineffective ?

I read iGPU port 48:00.3 is not working. @Driftwood are your ports working on your board? I would like to try VR in the mac environment one day in the future. Not really important at this time. But good educational information. 

1 hour ago, cj750 said:

your ports working on your board? I would like to try VR in the mac environment one day in the future. Not really important at this time. But good educational information. 

All my ports work but I don't pass the audio ones because it interferes with my FireWire card fireface 800 audio. Gets laggy if I enable 48:00.3.

Audio has been problematic for trx40 because of the very nature of the way it looks back the audio to USB. It's very weird!

You can always get a USB hub on USB C or any of  the other 3.2 USB connectors to increase your USB yield. You could always get a Mac supported soundcard too or usb sound. 

I have a HTC Vive and the HDMI out should work, along with a configured audio solution to work in fcpx or vive/steam.  I haven't tried it yet but will do next week.

Who knows the audio may one day work but ask @fabiosun about that. 

1 hour ago, fabiosun said:

by the way @Driftwooddo you know a PCIE Audio card supported in HighSierra?

I would like to test because in this OS audio is working well only via DP port (GPU Audio)

That’s a question I’m very glad you asked Fabiosun. I own an RME HDSPe MADI PCIE, that I currently use in my Mac Pro 5.1, previously on High Sierra, now Mojave. Ultimately looking at using that for main audio I/O to RME UFX+ and SPL Madison AD/DA conversion in a 3970x Proxmox Hackintosh setup.  A shame I don’t live close by for testing purposes. I imagine it would work fine unlike some of the audio in USB issues, some of you guys seem to be experiencing. But no way of knowing for sure.

• Like 1

• Supervisor
2 minutes ago, paulthesparky said:

That’s a question I’m very glad you asked Fabiosun. I own an RME HDSPe MADI PCIE, that I currently use in my Mac Pro 5.1, previously on High Sierra, now Mojave. Ultimately looking at using that for main audio I/O to RME UFX+ and SPL Madison AD/DA conversion in a 3970x Proxmox Hackintosh setup.  A shame I don’t live close by for testing purposes. I imagine it would work fine unlike some of the audio in USB issues, some of you guys seem to be experiencing. But no way of knowing for sure.

USB audio is a big problem in HighSierra, in Catalina 10.15.5 and greater  is working fine (for me only audio Jack detection problem) but I can solve it easily

I am searching for a pcie card to test (like also sounblaster or similar) because I will stay in HighSierra for a bit

I do not know if similar PCIE cards are supported by OSX..and if I can bypass with it audio USB problem

In Catalina, internal audio and also USB audio uses internal OSX Kext

no need of any additional kext like AppleALC or VoodHDA.

ps

for me your PCIe card is too much 🙂

• Like 1

3 hours ago, paulthesparky said:

That’s a question I’m very glad you asked Fabiosun. I own an RME HDSPe MADI PCIE, that I currently use in my Mac Pro 5.1, previously on High Sierra, now Mojave. Ultimately looking at using that for main audio I/O to RME UFX+ and SPL Madison AD/DA conversion in a 3970x Proxmox Hackintosh setup.  A shame I don’t live close by for testing purposes. I imagine it would work fine unlike some of the audio in USB issues, some of you guys seem to be experiencing. But no way of knowing for sure

Should do. Thats not firewire I guess? Basically audio cards are touch and go. Firewire never really had virtualisation in the days it was launched and its getting rather long in the tooth nowadays. However, there's tons of sound engineers and producers still using firefaces and the RME brand. If you are using Firewire ENSURE it has the Texas Instruments chip in and nothing else. Startech make the best one and its fairly cheap. The great thing about theirs is that its native and not bridged like other firewire cards. They work in bare metal, and it works too in VM as I have proven.

Edited by Driftwood

• Moderators

Should do. Thats not firewire I guess? Basically audio cards are touch and go. Firewire never really had virtualisation in the days it was launched and its getting rather long in the tooth nowadays. However, there's tons of sound engineers and producers still using firefaces and the RME brand. If you are using Firewire ENSURE it has the Texas Instruments chip in and nothing else. Startech make the best one and its fairly cheap. The great thing about theirs is that its native and not bridged like other firewire cards. They work in bare metal, and it works too in VM as I have proven.

Can you tell us which model of Startech you're using?

I believe you described using a model with dual 800 ports. However, Startech does not have any dual 800 devices on their website nor are any sold at Amazon US. Amazon does have Startech with 1-400 and dual 800 (which I've already tried), but any devices with a 400/800 combo has an internal bridge and probably won't work as a pass-through. I ordered one non-Startech device with dual 800 but it's not yet arrived, so I cannot vouch for its quality or functionality.

Edited by iGPU

8 hours ago, Driftwood said:

I used Firewire years ago, but after I upgraded my RME converter, it's now no longer an option.  Steve Jobs said "Firewire is dead", in 2008, but in your particular case, I believe you should be fine for years to come.  RME Driver support is as good as it gets long term, even for older comms technology and dis-continued RME gear.

If you happen to  live near Perth, Western Australia, I could maybe, with your permission of course, test my newer RME gear on your system, which, if you yourself happen to upgrade in the future, would also be beneficial in giving you peace of mind. But myself, being located in one of the most isolated parts of the world, I'd hazard a guess the chances of living close by is nil. 😂

If someone else on the thread does live close by, with an up and running  Proxmox Hackintosh, and wants to experiment with the audio capability, it will expand the knowledge base. Thus PM anytime. 😃

I guess if worse came to worse, maybe, I could install the same Startech Audio card as yourself, and find a firewire to thunderbolt adapter?

Firewire 800 should still be able to record about 55 channels of audio at 96khz which is still pretty good considering🤔

Prefer to use MADI though, as I can't daisy chain my 2 converters with thunderbolt/ firewire.😖

interfacing_protocols_02-.kxdc_GcsTHqLL8ggy2ZvBeSu691Qwkn.jpg

• Like 1

• Supervisor

a request:

for people using proxmox in dual GPU rig, if possible put here your BIOS config useful to boot with Proxmox (CSM/UEFI/4g and so on)..

And also to summarise which problem you have had (if you had) to start with proxmox in this condition (dual GPU inserted)

Thank you

• Like 1

Hello,

Well I'm using dual GPU and I can only get Proxmox to start the install only if i have one GPU powered on. If i have both i get the error on the screen shot

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4msapm2n9glrh3g/20200603_130312.jpg?dl=0

I tried many bird option. Turn CSM off and on. Disabling enabling 4G also.

Launch OXE Oprom is set to UEFI only

Launch Storage OpRom is UEFI also.

But what i did notice after install ProxM with one GPU. And then rebooting and loading the drive that Prox was install on. It booted up fine. It just seem the first install will hang. Well that what happen to me. I just wanted to share if anyone in the future has the same issue.

• Thanks 1