Proxmox VE OSX Guide discussion

fabiosun

• Supervisor
37 minutes ago, iGPU said:

Hackintoshes typically don't work with on-board Intel BT/WiFi, requiring the use of add-on PCIe cards, like a Fenvi T919.

Does this VM method now allow (interface with) MacOS to use on-board Intel BT/WiFi?

And any experience about using Thunderbolt PCIe cards? I presently have these working with flashed firmware on X299 and X570 builds, and I'm planning on using the GB TRX40 Designare mobo.

ciao IGPU

when osx boots..you have the same problem you have in a regular hackintosh

However not tested Intel BT/wifi stuff

I have had x299 gigabyte designare mb before this one and I have had many problems with its integrated thunderbolt on my previous rig

With sage 10G ant titan ridge all was working fine (hot plug and so on)

In this one I have not tested any TB adapter for now.

My MSI has not a thunderbolt header and I would have to test with titan Ridge and the cable trick

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Supervisor
3 hours ago, Renato said:

Fabio, how did you create DSDT and SSDT for open core ? did you run them against the physical system? The VM? how did you  make it to generate them for the VM?

At the moment, I cannot use the mouse in a Clover based machine, I can see the pointer but it does not move. In a windows machine I can even use the client mouse and it would work, a dedicate usb mouse is recognized(I can pass it through to the VM) I can see the pointer in the vm but it does nto work. A keyboard instead, with the same setup and passed through, work. Weird.

Hi Renato I do not remember your hardware but to answer to one of your question, I have downloaded OC in my OSX AMD rig with OC EFI maker you can find in download section, mount my EFI with an app by @Gengik84 (not availble yet because he is betatesting it)and thhen compiled a simple config.plist starting from sample.plist

so to boot no ssd no dsdt

we have to think a bit different

but one time we have configured linux well..all is more simple and better

and overall it is the only method available for trx40 user..for free here 🙂 🙂

• Like 1

• Supervisor
1 hour ago, Renato said:

ok so it is a catch 22 then, you can make it work with clover. uhmm....

I do not understand well this

however I have installed with clover, then I have tried Opencore and it is now working better (it solves bad graphic I some condition)

Your problem is a linux problem..you can't see your mouse I think so OSX is not yet involved in this problem

• Like 1

Nunzio vobis gaudio magnum, I finally managed to successfully install osx (High sierra). The error I was making was after setting the OVMF resolution to 1920x1080  (original guide needs to be amended as it still indicates 1024x768) I was not hitting the reset button but I was going straight to booting clover, which means the new resolution never took place. COngratulation to me, it took me one week to figure this out, at least I learned more proxmox than I thought necessary.

hitting the reset option is actually indicated in the original guide, maybe it would make sense to highlight better that not doing it would lead to screen corruption and the impossibility to continue.

Edited by Renato

ouch, as murphy said, "solutions generate new problems" I have an OSX vm configured as in the picture below, I have two drives IDE for  clover and the OSX CDROM (mounted as an ide HD of 2GB) and the virtual disk of 32GB defined as a SCSI disk. Now (Fig 2) when OSX shows me the choice of HD on which to install itself, it only offers me the choice of a 2GB HD, which I need to speculate, it is the HD in which I mounted the OSX iso, it has no visibility of the 32 GB HD I created and associated to the VM. The HD configuration is listed in fig 3. Any idea?

promoxosx.png

osxinstall.png

HDsettings.png

• Supervisor

ouch, as murphy said, "solutions generate new problems" I have an OSX vm configured as in the picture below, I have two drives IDE for  clover and the OSX CDROM (mounted as an ide HD of 2GB) and the virtual disk of 32GB defined as a SCSI disk. Now (Fig 2) when OSX shows me the choice of HD on which to install itself, it only offers me the choice of a 2GB HD, which I need to speculate, it is the HD in which I mounted the OSX iso, it has no visibility of the 32 GB HD I created and associated to the VM. The HD configuration is listed in fig 3. Any idea?

ehmm

have you formatted it in disk util?

then..why scsi?

I never tested scsi..but I think it is not your problem (also never checked backup, some time SSD emulation but it is not relevant @Renatofor your disk miss!

see also If you see it here :

• Like 1

oops sorry, I wrote SCSI, I meant Sata (being tired plays with your mind 🙂  ).  The installation is now done, I am getting a problem while authenticating it,  once I put in my apple id and password it falls into an error because it cannot connect to icloud. The error is one I cannot recover in any other way than reboot. I cannot try whether the network works as I do not get to use the OS but I presume it does otherwise I would have never finished the installation as I believe there was  plenty of stuff to download.

• Supervisor

@Renato i do not understand: "(being tired plays with your mind 🙂  )"

for your icloud access problem instead..you have to fill your config with some data in SMBios.plist part….

so have you formatted now your previous unseen OSX disk? 🙂

• Like 1

(being tired plays with your mind 🙂  )"   just means, It was an error I made for being tired. I have formatted the previously unseen HD, will look for the data to be added in the SMBios. That is a strange one, When I installed a hackintosh system I do not remember performing that action.

• Supervisor

@Renato

hi 😉

if you followed the guide or downloaded a proper clover iso searching in the net..if you examine it you will see it has a  very basic config.plist

SMBIOS part is blank and you have to fill with proper data according to your system

To boot well is not mandatory

to have some Apple services configured well it is necessary to have a working chance!

• Like 1

I went to check the config.plist of a hackintosh I have to see  what it is you are referring to, however, I do not understand how I would access config.plist of the system in my VM as in order to access it I would need to have access to the OSX system and mount the EFI partition. Is there a way to mount that partition outside of osx, before it boots? or more in general, how do you access that config.plist? or do no need to access the config.plist in the clover.iso (I used the one downloaded by your tool) how can I acheive that?

• Supervisor

Hi Renato

have you ever booted on your rig with Proxmox?

If so you have to modify it as usual method with a plisteditor or a tool to do it easily.

Modify it in this way update in real time your uploaded ISO in proxmox

To start it is enough to use VM Assistant clover iso.

So your task should be to boot with default iso you achieve with VM Assistant app

Then modify it inside OSX environment as usual 

If you never booted in OSX and you reach Clover boot menu, you can open shell window from it and try to modify your config.plist by hand.

First of all understanding where it is located (maybe fs0:)

My fsX drive address is probably different of your and I advice to install simply and then add stuff you need (shell config modifying is more complex and It is not a scope of this guide)

• Like 1

EDIT: My question is solved (for now, will have to check performance) here with 3x16 rather than 48. Link:

Hiya, I have some issue relatively early, pre-install, during Clover boot. I'm an experienced hackintosher, and the information I found was that it's a memory allocation issue, which people solve by moving RAM sticks. I changed the assigned RAM from 125GB to 64GB to no avail. It turns out Clover 5007 may have this issue, but a newer version doesn't. I would like to use OpenCore straight away, or the most recent version of Clover. How do I attain a .iso file that can be used as such? I'm not sure how to make an ISO out of a Clover / OpenCore EFI folder.

My problem (10.15.4-related with Clover, apparently), see screenshot.

Screenshot 2020-04-24 at 3.56.48 PM.png

PS: 11.05GB RAM @ 0MHz hahaha

Edited by AllubzV

On 4/11/2020 at 12:47 PM, Imanol said:

Thanks Fabio for this excellent guide! I got my hackintosh working! I'm using 3970x,  5700XT GPU passthrough, and MP600 NMVE passthrough. Performance is great.

I'll share some tips to get the 5700XT GPU passthrough working. This can be helpful for other people using AMD GPUS. I had to do some extra things:

The default GPU BIOS doesn't have UEFI enabled. Instead of updating the firmware, which is risky (or non existent tools) , you can download a ROM with UEFI support and let proxmox load/expose it when starting the VM. In my case I downloaded this rom (https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/212439/gigabyte-rx5700xt-8192-190616). You have to copy it to

/usr/share/kvm/5700xtcustom.rom

and specify the ROM file in the GPU pcie passthrough line vm conf:

hostpci1: 03:00,pcie=1,x-vga=1,romfile=5700xtref.rom

Additionally, I had to enable some extra flags in clover or it didn't boot correctly.

Make sure that you pass the agpmod=pikera boot argument. In graphics settings enable RadeonDeinit. Make sure that InjectATI is correctly disabled. If you are using clover configurator press the checkbox twice, otherwise it's enabled by default.

agpmod.png

radeon.png

I forgot to mention that to make my 5700XT passthrough work I needed to unbind some system drivers and framebuffers before launching the GPU. Just blacklisting the GPU drivers, enabling nomodeset in Grub or setting GRUB_GFXMODE_LINUX=text in grub didn't work for me. Those unbinds need to be done each time you restart the computer, before launching the VM. I automated it using the linux crontab utility.

First open crontab config using this command in a proxmox terminal:

crontab -e

Add this line into the document and save it:

@reboot /root/unbind.sh

Create a script in the specified path:

nano /root/unbind.sh

Add those unbind command (Change 03:00 with the PCI address of your GPU):

#!/bin/bash
echo "0000:03:00.0" > /sys/bus/pci/drivers/vfio-pci/unbind
echo 0 > /sys/class/vtconsole/vtcon0/bind
echo efi-framebuffer.0 > /sys/bus/platform/drivers/efi-framebuffer/unbind

Don't forget to set the correct permissions for the script after saving:

chmod 755 /root/unbind.sh

Now, each time you restart the computer proxmox will run this script and the guest mac VM will launch without any conflict.

• Like 2
  • +1 2