Proxmox VE OSX Guide discussion

fabiosun

Hi,

I have previously followed Nick Sherlocks guides (e.g. https://www.nicksherlock.com/2019/10/installing-macos-catalina-10-15-on-proxmox-6/)  to get MacOS working under Proxmox.

The graphical glitch on bootup was always very frustrating.

I'm keen to look into this OpenCore method to see if it would work.

Fabio - is there any chance you can share some more details on how you switched from the normal Clover method (as per the above guide), to using OpenCore?

Thanks,

Victor

Also - I know on recent MacOS (e.g. Catalina) - they are including the virtio drivers - so it may be possible to change the storage driver to say, virtio to improve performance?

• Supervisor
8 hours ago, victorhooi said:

Hi,

I have previously followed Nick Sherlocks guides (e.g. https://www.nicksherlock.com/2019/10/installing-macos-catalina-10-15-on-proxmox-6/)  to get MacOS working under Proxmox.

The graphical glitch on bootup was always very frustrating.

I'm keen to look into this OpenCore method to see if it would work.

Fabio - is there any chance you can share some more details on how you switched from the normal Clover method (as per the above guide), to using OpenCore?

Thanks,

Victor

Also - I know on recent MacOS (e.g. Catalina) - they are including the virtio drivers - so it may be possible to change the storage driver to say, virtio to improve performance?

Hi welcome here.

if you have a Proxmox system booting in OSX you can easily change your EFI folder.

You have to mount it and then change your clover structure with an OpenCore one.

To build OpenCore bootloader folder I have used OC EFI maker you can find in download section.

Following this video could be useful:

• Like 1

Almost there. Afetr a painful couple of days, I got to the point to have  Clover booting (albeit the screen soon turns into garbage albeit I have modified the botloader resolution)  Moreover I cannot make the mouse to work, I pass an USB device (a raido receptor) to what keyboard and mouse connect. The keyboard works, the mouse does not. Go figure.

• Supervisor

Hi Renato

step by step

when you have time post your lspci -nn output and try to put your mouse via webinterface as single usb port

If you pass a complete usb controller could interfere in functionality

also change port from usb hub to a single port if you can

• Like 1

Yesss, after three days messing around with passing on my RX580 to VM I tried the Radeon VII and now I can pass GPU to Catalina. 😎

I do still get a "vfio: Unable to power on device, stuck in D3" after stop-start VM but after a clean boot of Proxmox everything is fine. (The RX580 gave this error all the time)

Really interesting to hear about your kernel patches testing 😉

• +1 1

Hi,

not sure what you mean by " pass your mouse as a single USB port", I can chose the USB receiver, but I do not have a choice to add just one port, there is a single option and that includes port 1-2. below you will see the result of the lspci -nn. BTW is there a way for me to upload a picture?

00:00.0 Host bridge [0600]: Intel Corporation Skylake Host Bridge/DRAM Registers [8086:191f] (rev 07)
00:01.0 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation Skylake PCIe Controller (x16) [8086:1901] (rev 07)
00:14.0 USB controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-H USB 3.0 xHCI Controller [8086:a12f] (rev 31)
00:16.0 Communication controller [0780]: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-H CSME HECI #1 [8086:a13a] (rev 31)
00:17.0 SATA controller [0106]: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-H SATA controller [AHCI mode] [8086:a102] (rev 31)
00:1b.0 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-H PCI Root Port #17 [8086:a167] (rev f1)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-H PCI Express Root Port #1 [8086:a110] (rev f1)
00:1c.2 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-H PCI Express Root Port #3 [8086:a112] (rev f1)
00:1c.3 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-H PCI Express Root Port #4 [8086:a113] (rev f1)
00:1c.4 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-H PCI Express Root Port #5 [8086:a114] (rev f1)
00:1d.0 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-H PCI Express Root Port #9 [8086:a118] (rev f1)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge [0601]: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-H LPC Controller [8086:a145] (rev 31)
00:1f.2 Memory controller [0580]: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-H PMC [8086:a121] (rev 31)
00:1f.3 Audio device [0403]: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-H HD Audio [8086:a170] (rev 31)
00:1f.4 SMBus [0c05]: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-H SMBus [8086:a123] (rev 31)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: NVIDIA Corporation GM204 [GeForce GTX 970] [10de:13c2] (rev a1)
01:00.1 Audio device [0403]: NVIDIA Corporation GM204 High Definition Audio Controller [10de:0fbb] (rev a1)
04:00.0 PCI bridge [0604]: ASMedia Technology Inc. ASM1083/1085 PCIe to PCI Bridge [1b21:1080] (rev 04)
05:00.0 Multimedia video controller [0400]: Conexant Systems, Inc. CX23880/1/2/3 PCI Video and Audio Decoder [14f1:8800] (rev 05)
05:00.1 Multimedia controller [0480]: Conexant Systems, Inc. CX23880/1/2/3 PCI Video and Audio Decoder [Audio Port] [14f1:8811] (rev 05)
05:00.2 Multimedia controller [0480]: Conexant Systems, Inc. CX23880/1/2/3 PCI Video and Audio Decoder [MPEG Port] [14f1:8802] (rev 05)
05:00.4 Multimedia controller [0480]: Conexant Systems, Inc. CX23880/1/2/3 PCI Video and Audio Decoder [IR Port] [14f1:8804] (rev 05)
06:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller [10ec:8168] (rev 15)
07:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Qualcomm Atheros AR9485 Wireless Network Adapter [168c:0037] (rev 01)

Screenshot 2020-04-16 16.14.59.png

Current cpu features passed through

args: -device isa-applesmc,osk="ourhardworkbythesewordsguardedpleasedontsteal(c)AppleComputerInc" -smbios type=2 -cpu Penryn,kvm=on,vendor=GenuineIntel,+kvm_pv_unhalt,+kvm_pv_eoi,+invtsc,vmware-cpuid-freq=on,+fpu,+vme,+de,+pse,+tsc,+msr,+pae,+mce,+cx8,+apic,+sep,+mtrr,+pge,+mca,+cmov,+pat,+pse36,+clflush,+mmx,+fxsr,+sse,+sse2,+ht,+syscall,+nx,+mmxext,+fxsr_opt,+pdpe1gb,+rdtscp,+lm,+pni,+pclmulqdq,+monitor,+ssse3,+fma,+cx16,+sse4_1,+sse4_2,+movbe,+popcnt,+aes,+xsave,+avx,+f16c,+rdrand,+lahf_lm,+cmp_legacy,+extapic,+abm,+sse4a,+misalignsse,+3dnowprefetch,+osvw,+ibs,+skinit,+wdt,+tce,+topoext,+perfctr_core,+perfctr_nb,+ssbd,+ibpb,+stibp,+fsgsbase,+bmi1,+avx2,+smep,+bmi2,+rdseed,+adx,+smap,+clflushopt,+clwb,+xsaveopt,+xsavec,+xgetbv1,+xsaves,+wbnoinvd,+arat,+npt,+lbrv,+nrip_save,+tsc_scale,+vmcb_clean,+flushbyasid,+decodeassists,+pfthreshold,+umip

Current cpu features seen by macOS:

machdep.cpu.features: FPU VME DE PSE TSC MSR PAE MCE CX8 APIC SEP MTRR PGE MCA CMOV PAT PSE36 CLFSH MMX FXSR SSE SSE2 HTT SSE3 PCLMULQDQ SSSE3 FMA CX16 SSE4.1 SSE4.2 x2APIC MOVBE POPCNT AES VMM XSAVE AVX1.0 RDRAND F16C

machdep.cpu.leaf7_features: RDWRFSGS BMI1 AVX2 SMEP BMI2 RDSEED ADX SMAP CLFSOPT CLWB UMIP STIBP SSBD

machdep.cpu.extfeatures: SYSCALL XD 1GBPAGE EM64T LAHF LZCNT PREFETCHW RDTSCP TSCI

Edited by Pavo
  • Like 1
  • +1 1

19 minutes ago, fabiosun said:

@Pavo cpu is fine, you can see comparing in real way with no vm benchmark using traditional patches

gpu benchmarks are missing for now

have you some problem there?

@Renato

for inserting pictures you can drag and drop when you are writing your message

Screenshot 2020-04-13 17.43.06.png

Screenshot 2020-04-13 21.58.52.png

• Like 1

• Supervisor

@Pavowhen you have time also cinebench 15 gpu bench

uf you have also  windows one and real hack with patches

to see if important differences are there

by the way you can also try to put host in vm cpu and use amd vanilla patches to boot.

• Like 1

• Supervisor
10 hours ago, Renato said:

Hi,

not sure what you mean by " pass your mouse as a single USB port", I can chose the USB receiver, but I do not have a choice to add just one port, there is a single option and that includes port 1-2. below you will see the result of the lspci -nn. BTW is there a way for me to upload a picture?

00:14.0 USB controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-H USB 3.0 xHCI Controller [8086:a12f] (rev 31)

have you passed this one?

if you do not pass it, in Web interface/hardware/usb part what do you see?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, fabiosun said:

@Pavowhen you have time also cinebench 15 gpu bench

uf you have also  windows one and real hack with patches

to see if important differences are there

by the way you can also try to put host in vm cpu and use amd vanilla patches to boot.

I don't have winblows installed and don't have the bare metal install EFI for Opencore anymore, all I can tell you is its WAY better in this configuration.

• Supervisor
17 hours ago, Pavo said:

----------------------------

Current cpu features passed through

args: -device isa-applesmc,osk="ourhardworkbythesewordsguardedpleasedontsteal(c)AppleComputerInc" -smbios type=2 -cpu Penryn,kvm=on,vendor=GenuineIntel,+kvm_pv_unhalt,+kvm_pv_eoi,+invtsc,vmware-cpuid-freq=on,+fpu,+vme,+de,+pse,+tsc,+msr,+pae,+mce,+cx8,+apic,+sep,+mtrr,+pge,+mca,+cmov,+pat,+pse36,+clflush,+mmx,+fxsr,+sse,+sse2,+ht,+syscall,+nx,+mmxext,+fxsr_opt,+pdpe1gb,+rdtscp,+lm,+pni,+pclmulqdq,+monitor,+ssse3,+fma,+cx16,+sse4_1,+sse4_2,+movbe,+popcnt,+aes,+xsave,+avx,+f16c,+rdrand,+lahf_lm,+cmp_legacy,+extapic,+abm,+sse4a,+misalignsse,+3dnowprefetch,+osvw,+ibs,+skinit,+wdt,+tce,+topoext,+perfctr_core,+perfctr_nb,+ssbd,+ibpb,+stibp,+fsgsbase,+bmi1,+avx2,+smep,+bmi2,+rdseed,+adx,+smap,+clflushopt,+clwb,+xsaveopt,+xsavec,+xgetbv1,+xsaves,+wbnoinvd,+arat,+npt,+lbrv,+nrip_save,+tsc_scale,+vmcb_clean,+flushbyasid,+decodeassists,+pfthreshold,+umip

----------------------------

you can also pass +tsc_adjust

but I can't see any improvement using most of supported features....and Catalina starts also with none of them.

• Like 1

• Supervisor

I see @Renato i think in this way is fine

so if you cant see a mouse attached to it the only way for now is to connect your mouse on a onboard usb port

I cant see your hardware in your signature but i think some spare usb port could be there on your motherboard

• Like 1

when I pass the USB controller, just the keyboard works but not the mouse. I will try with an alternative mouse. However the big road-blocker at the moment is the video that corrupts completely. From thereon everything is just fine tuning.

• Supervisor

if you mean when you run your vm video became weird

you have to set (for now) your clover config in the same resolution of your OVMF bios

when you have a first boot right you can try to pu OpenCore bootloader which is not affected from this problem

for usb problem I will think to bypass all your usb hub..and connect your mouse and keyboard directly to the motherboard port...

but only you can find for this problem a solution

• Like 1

Fabio, how did you create DSDT and SSDT for open core ? did you run them against the physical system? The VM? how did you  make it to generate them for the VM?

At the moment, I cannot use the mouse in a Clover based machine, I can see the pointer but it does not move. In a windows machine I can even use the client mouse and it would work, a dedicate usb mouse is recognized(I can pass it through to the VM) I can see the pointer in the vm but it does nto work. A keyboard instead, with the same setup and passed through, work. Weird.

• Moderators

Hackintoshes typically don't work with on-board Intel BT/WiFi, requiring the use of add-on PCIe cards, like a Fenvi T919.

Does this VM method now allow (interface with) MacOS to use on-board Intel BT/WiFi?

And any experience about using Thunderbolt PCIe cards? I presently have these working with flashed firmware on X299 and X570 builds, and I'm planning on using the GB TRX40 Designare mobo.